Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

UO, WoW, SWG player LFG

KyrodinKyrodin Member Posts: 7

Hi all,

So I'm not too fickle when it comes to games, but I tend to leave when the concentration become entirely gear oriented or if the PvP is so imbalanced it's not longer to fun to sign on.

I played UO until the gear became stat based. But really quit playing for the most part when Fel/Tram split.

I played SWG until Jedis became easily obtainable.

I just quit WoW because it's just a bad game compared to the way it was pre-TBC.

I've dabbled in EQII, L2, DAoC, AoC, and WAR. Have to say, I loved the crafting in EQII.

I really appreciated the 700 spendable skill points in UO allowing for more customization of each character  instead of the predefined roles in WoW. SWG seemed like a blend of the two and I was ok with that.

I dislike "raiding" as it's defined in WoW. I don't necessarily mind dungeons/instances, but the heavy dependence on gear that is only obtainable via a RNG and a group that has an IQ over 40 can prove to be extremely frustrating.

I'm looking for a game that is essentially UO, pre-fel/tram split. I wouldn't mind slightly better graphics, but gameplay is always greater than graphics imo. I'd like a reasonable crafting system, not the joke in WoW. It doesn't have to be as good as EQII, but SWG seemed to have a good balance of simplicity and involvement.

FFA looting via PvP is a plus, but not a must. F2P or P2P doesn't matter.

*As a side note, Darkfall seemed to cover this, but I don't see that game being anything but a dissapointment (if it even comes out at all - rumor has it that it's entirely faked).*

Thanks for the help,

Kyro

Comments

• AnnwynAnnwyn Member UncommonPosts: 2,854
    Originally posted by Kyrodin

*As a side note, Darkfall seemed to cover this, but I don't see that game being anything but a dissapointment (if it even comes out at all - rumor has it that it's entirely faked).*

If you only stop yourself at rumors you'll remain in ignorance for the rest of your life. I have a friend that managed to enter the beta and he only have good things to say about it.

And as you seem to know very few things about DarkFall: BetaLeaks pretty much talks about everything about DarkFall (gameplay release, skill release, new patch fixes etc) TheNoob comic also says a lot about the game right now  

• ericbelserericbelser Member Posts: 783

I didn't get a sense of how important PvP is to you from that post; In terms of the best PvE experience out there currently, I think LotRO wins hands down - good crafting system,  small group/solo friendly, raids are small/relatively quick and not required content etc. However it does have effectively NO pvp to speak of (monster play is a crock and waste of time)

If PvP is your main focus, I would honestly check out WAR again (I have friends playing who claim they have substantially improved the pvp experience since launch)- it has serious problems but it is centered on the PvP / RvR experience as the main thrust of the game. (Although high among the problems are the crappy/nonexistant crafting system and generally poor/badly done pve)

Darkfall may be the holy grail of gaming that you and everyone else is looking for...but it's looking awfully suspicious at the moment....I'd certainly wait until it launches before I made any real judgements on it.

• KyrodinKyrodin Member Posts: 7
    Originally posted by MadnessRealm

If you only stop yourself at rumors you'll remain in ignorance for the rest of your life. I have a friend that managed to enter the beta and he only have good things to say about it.

Fair enough. But your friend is the first person I've heard of that has actually made it into the beta. My buddy at Gamestop said it's most likely a fake game, given the development time and the lack of knowledge anyone actually has on it (A lot of hearsay on their own forums is all that is really out there).

Be that as it may, if it comes out I'll probably purchase it. I was just curious if there were any out currently. Since I've barely tapped into the long list on this site.

BTW, PvP > Crafting > PvE for me. I'll check out WAR again, but I was hoping to get out of the predefined roles.

• TeganxTeganx Member Posts: 401

Originally posted by MadnessRealm

Fair enough. But your friend is the first person I've heard of that has actually made it into the beta. My buddy at Gamestop said it's most likely a fake game, given the development time and the lack of knowledge anyone actually has on it (A lot of hearsay on their own forums is all that is really out there).

Be that as it may, if it comes out I'll probably purchase it. I was just curious if there were any out currently. Since I've barely tapped into the long list on this site.

BTW, PvP > Crafting > PvE for me. I'll check out WAR again, but I was hoping to get out of the predefined roles.

Got news for ya, just because you work at gamestop dosent mean you know anything about games. Gamestop employees dont get any special privelages or inside info, they are just regular gamers like you and I. If you read the noob 8 you will see that she posted a picture of the beta member forums on the website with a poll of who is loving the game and who isnt. Hundreds voted that they love it. This at least proves that there is a real beta test going on.

If you followed the game just a bit you would understand that the community is way past wondering if its real, that has been proven many times by now. At this point the skepticism is if it will release on time and in good shape. It is certainly coming out soon though.

To the OP. Vanguard or LOTRO is what you need in your life. And I vote Vanguard.

playing: darkfall
    waiting: earthrise

I didn't come here to argue with anyone about Darkfall. From all that I've read and researched it looks like it's almost exactly what I'm looking for. I just said I was skeptical. I still am skeptical. I'll check out Vanguard, thanks for the reply.

I didn't come here to argue with anyone about Darkfall. From all that I've read and researched it looks like it's almost exactly what I'm looking for. I just said I was skeptical. I still am skeptical. I'll check out Vanguard, thanks for the reply.

People go defensive when it comes to DarkFall because it has been called Vaporware for too many years and even though the recent event has silenced a few trolls, there's still a few lurking around to annoy people :þ So it wasn't meant to argue but to blast off that skepticism created by "vaporware trolls".

Anyway we'll see wether or not it's delayed. They keep adding content right now and it doesn't look like there's problem with the game so far so Darfall will be released Feb 25 (unless a patch does cause great issues but things seems to be going pretty smooth)

Thanks for the clarification Madness. I wasn't aware of the background. I only began looking around a couple weeks ago and Darkfall immediately popped out. I apparently fell prey to all the rumors and such =/. I do appreciate your help.

So February 25th is the release date... is that only for Europe? Or do you think it will be available in the States as well around that time?

The official release Feb 25 is in Europe only but NA players will be able to play DarkFall (only problem for us would be the different time zone). There's no official release date announce for NA yet as they are still looking for a NA publisher.

• saturnstrollsaturnstroll Member Posts: 5

Hi Kyro,

Darkfall is indeed an option, but there's another mmorgp that's been somewhat under-exposed.

That's http://www.MortalOnline.com

http://www.MortalOnline.com is being developed by old school UO fans.

I highly advise checking them out.

I'm also an ex UO fan and truly miss a skill-based game in which one can spread out the points to create different templates.

Check'em out! 

• ProfRedProfRed Member UncommonPosts: 3,494

There is also Earthrise on the horizon, and EVE right now.  You might want to keep an eye out for DaOC origins server as well. 

Mostly though if I was you I would just get into Darkfall when it comes out, and move onto Mortal Online or Earthrise if Darkfall isn't quenching your MMO thirst. 

Maybe Aion would interest you also, but I believe the things you don't like about WoW are in there in doses.

Thanks for your help everyone.