Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

UO Beta Tester Returns After 9 Years.

In a time long ago, and in a land far far away, I actually beta tested UO and UO2 aka Blackthorn.  I left in either late 2000 or early 2001 due to way to many bug issues.   The dupe issue with items, and gold.  PKers using exploits to kill.  And  particularly the one bug where you could entice a demon into a house and  have them fetch.  I got several screen shots of the person.  Called a GM, and guess what.  Nothing happened. I lost everything, got killed a few times and then  I canceled my account the next day.

Over the years, I've found nothing like UO, and have always missed UO.  I've tried a few times to join back up however there was always something wrong.  Couldn't download the client.  The UO page had bad links.  Registration servers were down.  I assumed nothing had changed and said forget it.

But for some strange reason, I tried again tonight and everything seemed to click and managed to get a 14-day.  Needless to say, between the time to DL the client and the time to DL all the patches, my low expectations are barely being met. 

Lets see how the next 14 days pans out.  I have a feeling I'm going to be disappointed.

Comments

• PyrateSteelePyrateSteele Member Posts: 3

Well, Im back, rather quickly to report, nothing has changed.  I got to play all of about 20 minutes before I got the message "servers going down" in 2 minutes.  Nice....

During that 20 minutes I've realized I absolutely hate the graphics.  Whenever I try to move anyting out of my backpack, or move it into the bank, it takes 6 or 7 tries to get the pointer to recognize the object, and then when it finally does, it moves the wrong object.

I also got a npc screen "stuck" to my pointer and it would not go away, and had to log out and back in.

And I chose the server closest to me, with the least player online, and the best speed, and all I got was LAAAGGGGGG.

Nothing has changed.  I will be cancelling after 14 days as this game is worse than it was 8 years ago.

• obiiobii Member UncommonPosts: 804

Are you trying the 2d client or the KR client?

And it is EA! Did you expect quality?

• PyrateSteelePyrateSteele Member Posts: 3

I didn't realize there were two clients.  I am using the KR client.    I wondered why I couldn't find a client.exe when I tried to install UOA.

I'm dling the legacy version as I didn't have any option to use either client, just the KR.  And I did choose legacy within the KR client.

I will say this much, I ilke the idea that you get 40 hours as a newb.  It seems that skills come faster than years ago however, mining is still a pain, especially when I can't get the macros within the KR client to work.

And it seems funnty that after 10 years, there are still "null" patches in certain places.

• Gee15Gee15 Member Posts: 15

The KR client didnt go down well, its to buggy to be playable so your best trying the legacy(2D) client instead.

• IAmMMOIAmMMO Member UncommonPosts: 1,462

There's also a new client being released with the latest expansion sometime this year. It's a huge rework of the KR client based and all the feedback they got from the community. The KR client now is just a in between client.

• Daffid011Daffid011 Member UncommonPosts: 7,945

How does one go about getting the 2d client? 

It is about time I got back to see just what hs changed and what I can remember. 

• StymieStymie Member Posts: 18

Some of the graffics in KR look nice, but KR is an extreme resource hog on most systems.  Yes, the expansion Stygian Abyss is suppose to bring a new client that addresses many of the issues. There are many people in my guild that use the KR client exclusively and swear by it. They simply say that there is a "learning curve" to geting used to it. And once you do, you'll be very happy with it.

I don't know, as I'm not running the most beefy rig on the market. I've tried it a few times and keep my patching up to date, but I just love the simplicity of running the 2D client. And Yes, the 2D client will be carried over to the new expansion as well. I've been to all the recent Town Hall Meetings and talked with the dev's and customer relations staff. Everyone says that 2D will Never go away, as its one of the few games out that still supports low end systems. This is a niche that EA strongly supports which is nice. Not everyone can go out and upgrade their gaming rig every few months.