Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Returning to SWG or new to the game? Read Me! *updated*

Comments

• japhezjaphez Member Posts: 29

Very nice guide, Obraik!  I also found that I was explaining the autotargetting/keymapping to returning yet, so much that I just created a "mail guide" to send to them.  I left for awhile, but that was because of financial issues.  I'll probably be resubbing once again when I get un-poor.  =P

• ObraikObraik Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 7,261

Updated with a link to Distiler's thread that lists the additions made since the NGE.

• cheapherkcheapherk Member Posts: 59

Does anyones' anti-virus detect "StarWarsGalaxiesModsAnach's Pre-NGE UIUpdaterAnachs_Pre-NGE_UI_Updater.exe" as a trojan?

• ObraikObraik Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 7,261
    Originally posted by cheapherk

Does anyones' anti-virus detect "StarWarsGalaxiesModsAnach's Pre-NGE UIUpdaterAnachs_Pre-NGE_UI_Updater.exe" as a trojan?

Running the latest version of McAfee virus scanner here and it reports it as clean for me.  Which virus scanner are you using?

• cheapherkcheapherk Member Posts: 59
    Originally posted by Obraik

Running the latest version of McAfee virus scanner here and it reports it as clean for me.  Which virus scanner are you using?

Avast!- http://www.avast.com/index.html

• Platon2xPlaton2x Member UncommonPosts: 61

I would like to write a thank You in this thread for the pleasure to start as Level 65 after mastering 13 professions PreCU. I know its normal to start at level 80 for vets, but not the dabbling PvPers.

I would also like to say a great thank You for the Great support that sent me ingame to press H, which take me to the same place I asked for help in the first place, also good the H was unbinded SMILEY

However Im all fine as I greatly appreciate the couch I got for the Spaceship I dont have.

We're a returning, sorry were returning PvPers which all were dabblers and we are so going to start at Level 65, NOT. Well we tried, but again we feel like 2nd hand customers that just got screwed once again.

2.5 years of playing at an average of 8+ hours a day, its a great achievement to be at Level 65, /bow

./sign

Nataz

Siriwan

Manji

Momento

Prins

Maihev

Shiato

Ben-Zha

Nicolaz

Bhaal

Plumbo

Northman

Laila

Hunk

Inthewood

Aukri

Nebudanzar

Vicious Vikings tried, but will not return.

• BigpigBigpig Member Posts: 128
    Originally posted by Obraik

Now that we have a forum for this sorta stuff, I thought I’d post this to cut down on some of the PM’s and Xfire messages (not that I mind them, but I’m not on all the time :P).  Anyway, if you’re returning to SWG here’s some things to do before you resub and ways you can change the interface to make it more familiar as well as some guides for those new to the game in general.
    For the Vets
    Before you resubscribe, if you cancelled your account was cancelled before the NGE went live (15/11/05) then you have a free 14 day trial available that will let you login to the game as if you were subscribed to the game...but for free.  All you need to do is install the game from your original CD’s and then login to Launchpad.  In addition, JTL is now free and everyone gets it, so if you didn’t have it before you do now.
    It’s also possible to make the keymap and interface somewhat similar to what it was before the NGE.  Firstly, follow the guide here to get the core keymapping the same as it was, along with modeless chat. 
    Using a mod, you can also bring back the appearance of the pre-nge interface too and remove all the artwork around the UI.  Go here to download it.  Click the SWG Mods section then click the "Pre-NGE UI Mod" section.  Once you download it, check the ZIP file.  The current version contains a ZIP file within the ZIP file you downloaded.  Extract the ZIP file you find within the downloaded one into your main SWG folder. NOTE: With each new Chapter you will most likely need to update the mod to be compatible with any new UI changes, so return to this page to check otherwise the game will crash upon login if you don’t.
    The SWG also now has auto-aim and auto-fire returned, so if you don’t like the twitch based combat then here’s my recommendations on how to make it work as close as it did pre-nge:
    1.       Open the Options menu,
    2.       Click the Controls button, scroll to the bottom of the list and untick “Offset Camera”
    3.       Click Keymap and then click the Target tab.
    4.       Set Toggle Auto-Aim to a key command of your choice
    5.       Set Toggle Repeat Auto-Attack to a key command of your choice
    6.       Go to the UI tab
    7.       Change “Select target and summon radial menu”  to the right mouse button
    8.       At the bottom of the keymap window, tick “Actions can be fired from the toolbar”
    9.       Click Done
    Now, press the key combo that you assigned to turn on Auto-Aim, you will only need to do this once and it stays on until you turn it off (logging out does not turn it off either).  By default, if nothing is targeted (green brackets around something means it’s targeted) clicking it will target it and double clicking will target it and start up auto-attacking.  You’ll only need to use the key combo you assigned in step 3 if there’s something in the way of what you’re wanting to start auto-attacking so you can’t double click it.  Everyone has their own way of doing things, so change the keymapping as is convenient for you
    Important additions since the NGE
    Double toolbar: To turn this on, go to Options and then Interface and tick the box for it.  You will need to setup keymapping for the second row by clicking Keymap, the UI tab and then assigning shortcuts to the second bar options.
    Inventory dragging & dropping:  If you want to be able to drag stuff straight onto containers in you inventory without having to open it in a seperate window, go to Options, Interface and then tick the box for it.
    Two button run: If you would like your character to run by holding down the left and right mouse button (allowing you to use your mouse to run without taking a button that could be used for something else) open the Options window, go to Keymapping and the bottom of the window in the list of check boxes tick the corresponding box.
    *NEW* 8/7/08 - For a look at the additions that's been made to the game since the NGE, take a look at this thread by Distiler
    For those new to SWG and/or the NGE
    Alot of useful info on the game can be found hereA few highlights from this page are:
    The Profession guide
    Creating your Character
    Expertise Overview
    Jedi Expertise
    Bounty Hunter Expertise

For quest walkthroughs and other various player made guides, go here

-----

Just some of the stuff I thought of, feel free to add on to it, or correct something I've gotten wrong :) 

Right i have just resubbed to try the game out again.  Them main reason I hated the hge was the awful twitch combat.

I just tried this and wow what a difference it made it does kinda feel like the old swg where you pick target then use mouse to use moves. I am kinda enjoying it again!!!!

I can see myself staying also as all the current mmo are just crap. whith this optiosn it give me the closest thing to swg precu.

• hotspex27hotspex27 Member Posts: 1

Ok people, I log on to this site very very very rarely, however I feel that I need to ask this. I'm considering coming back to the game SWG, and signed up for a free 14 day trial as a n00b and bought me a new joystick once again.

I used to play SWG STRICTLY for the crafting, harvesting of resources, and the ability to craft my own and friends starfighters, missiles, guns, shields armor, etc etc.. I quit shortly after the NGE. I was soo damned big on the SPACE Combat, mining, etc. It was the funnest I've ever had in a mmo in my life.

I never was soo much into the ground aspect of the game, but I have friends coming back with me now so we can play. My toons from years back were on Chilastra and Chimaera-Euro.

What my question is, I guess, is SWG gone bye bye? Dead? no one around? No economic stability? No players? No orgs left (specifically on the 2 servers I played on in the past????)

I really would like to know before I pay the 15 bucks to bring my account back.

PLEASE let me know asap, And feel free to reply also direct to my email as I rarely check this, But I will be more than happy to in the next couple of days. Downloading the trial now... email is [email protected]

Thanks for your guys responses ahead of time, I appreciate it.

Jormar (220 Adventurer in Anarchy-Online)

P.s. If ya never played AO, Then check it out, It's uber duber UBER! :D

• yvesquoyvesquo Member Posts: 30

I am so glad I am not addicted to this game anymore... But I do have fantastic memories involving it. I know this may seem like a non sequitur with respect to the previous comments, and a bit off topic to boot... Although, I want it to be recognized that I am there for you if you want to quit... but if you don't want to quit, be the absolute best nerf-herder you can be. New support group available at <www.youarenotajedi.com>.

• someforumguysomeforumguy Member RarePosts: 4,088

I miss the part where QA and GM's dont do anything about afk botting anymore. On TCPrime it is very evident how some of the usual afk botters own/win every auction trade on the official trade forums. Basically if you are against this kind of gameplay, you are frowned upon by the SWG community.

Which is a bit ironic, because afkcombat/botting has the same effect as buying credits. Which is gaining credits without even putting time into the game.

O yes I forgot. Buying credits is against the EULA, so you simply buy TCG boosterpacks for real money and then sell them to other players for ingame credits (which is not against EULA, they even have a trade forum for that).

I really like all the game features, but the way they condone afk combat and the way TCG trade can be used to buy ingame credits, put me off this game.

• eRAZOR2007eRAZOR2007 Member Posts: 70

I don't know. I left SWG shortly after the Jedi Surge. I've never unlocked - even after completing 24 professions (god damnit). I came back a year later but the feeling was gone so I decided to come back again. Today I'd rather wait (or pray?) for the rumored BioWare MMO.

• EffectEffect Member UncommonPosts: 949

Does one know of a guide for the chat system in this game? Really think that would be helpful for those that might be looking to play this game.

• ValeranValeran Member Posts: 925

Please utilize the free trial or the vet trial if you are looking at returning to the SWG: NGE. 

--------
    Ten Golden Rules Of Videogame Fanboyism

"SOE has probably united more gamers in hatred than Blizzard has subs"...daelnor

• AbrahmmAbrahmm Member Posts: 2,448
    Originally posted by Valeran

Please utilize the free trial or the vet trial if you are looking at returning to the SWG: NGE. 

Why would you ressurect this?

Tried: LotR, CoH, AoC, WAR, Jumpgate Classic
    Played: SWG, Guild Wars, WoW
    Playing: Eve Online, Counter-strike
    Loved: Star Wars Galaxies
    Waiting for: Earthrise, Guild Wars 2, anything sandbox.

• ValeranValeran Member Posts: 925
    Originally posted by Abrahmm

Originally posted by Valeran

Why would you ressurect this?

To my view it is stickied and always at the top so ressurection is irrellevent.

--------
    Ten Golden Rules Of Videogame Fanboyism

"SOE has probably united more gamers in hatred than Blizzard has subs"...daelnor

• kozgearkozgear Member Posts: 6

downloading a free trial...  played other MMOs...  WoW... Tabula.... CoH... Guidl Wars...

What is a friendly/populated server?

Couple lines of advice for a new comer? 

• Vincen76Vincen76 Member Posts: 33
    Originally posted by kozgear

downloading a free trial...  played other MMOs...  WoW... Tabula.... CoH... Guidl Wars...
    What is a friendly/populated server?
    Couple lines of advice for a new comer? 

Currently, the Free Character Transfer Service (FCTS) is in effect, populating allready populated servers from mostly dead servers. You'd want to avoid the following servers as they are mostly getting empty:

Corbantis

Europe-Infinity

Intrepid

Kauri

Kettemoor

Lowca

Naritus

Scylla

Tarquinas

Tempest

Valcyn

Wanderhome

The 'Transfer To' servers are allready populated, which means you'll be getting the most out of your SWG experience in terms of group content and player interaction. You will always find griefers, but thats true to any MMO. That being said, here are the 'Transfer To' servers:

Ahazi

Bloodfin

Bria

Chilastra

Eclipse

Europe-Chimaera

Europe-FarStar

Flurry

Gorath

Radiant

Shadowfire

Starsider

Sunrunner

You can find more information about each server on the server specific forums, here.

Also a piece of advice would be too look at where the servers are located in the world. If youre residing in the Euro Zone and have a normal dayjob, you propably want to look up one of the Euro Servers (which has the traditional primetime at ~5pm GMT - 2am GMT). If youre working nightshifts, its propably better for you to choose an Eastcoast US server (Eastcoast due to lower distance / lower ping).

If you visit the server forums, you'll be able to find a recent focus thread for each of the destination servers (those that are allready populated) which aims to describe the personality of the server. You can find the example of Ahazi here (just an example, no bias).

I noticed youre looking for 'Friendly'. Here is what the residents of Europe-Chimaera said:

How Would You Describe Europe-Chimaera?

Specific comments about this galaxy include:

• I think the majority of us could quite happily vote in multiple sections of this poll, seeing as we can't though - I've dropped my vote in "Large amount of helpful players" that seems the closest to an overall approximation of our Chimaera community over the years.
    • All of em could quite easily apply, but went for helpful people as its generally the community that keeps people here
    • High population/community has always been the strongest point of Chimaera in my opinion. And that goes a long way, more crafters, helpers, pvp and pve.
    • Tons of helpful peeps but then we have a high populations, tons of good PA's I'd recommend.

If youre a PVP'er, you also may want to drop by swg.activeframe.de and check out the Factional PVP populations. While they don't give a complete picture of the PVP numbers, they do give you a rough indication of how each server places themselves according to player numbers vs kills etc.

Piece of advice, if you want to grab a tour of the new player tutorial, that comes with a Badge you can only obtain on Tansaari Point Station by completing the space missions. Assuming you'll be playing a combat class, non-jedi will be able to wear player crafted armor from Level 22. Keep your money close to you and you should be able to afford one shortly after, otherwise just use the profession granted armor that you recieve untill you do. There are also another quest for a decent armor for free (Clone Armor Quest).

Talk to an entertainer to get a buff for XP and armor, thats propably going to be the most usefull tip at the lower levels while grinding, and see if you can find a Medic to buff you, using the Community Search tool. Mos Eisley is usually the place people congregate before heading off on adventures (high level pve, hunting or grinding). Take it for what it is, noob central with vets thrown into the mix.

• kozgearkozgear Member Posts: 6

thank you for the information...   I chose Starsider

I made a smuggler...  believe i made it to lvl 4 or 5 before i had to log...

Just gonna take a while to get my bearings...   with WoW i had a friend that was already playing at top lvl and his was a great guide... 

I will probably do what i usually do and jus tread everything i can find...

Thanks again,

Koz

• Vincen76Vincen76 Member Posts: 33
    Originally posted by kozgear

thank you for the information...   I chose Starsider
    I made a smuggler...  believe i made it to lvl 4 or 5 before i had to log...
    Just gonna take a while to get my bearings...   with WoW i had a friend that was already playing at top lvl and his was a great guide... 
    I will probably do what i usually do and jus tread everything i can find...
    Thanks again,
    Koz

Nice one mate,

Starsider is a great server, very friendly too and US based. Smuggler is propably the most rewarding and fun profession to play, lots of DPS and power at lower level that will help you get more XP faster due to the Armor Expertise Line. Once you hit Combat Level 10, you'll get the option to start investing in expertise choises to diversify your character.

You propably want to start messing around with the UI to get your properly set up. The keymap at first can be a little frustrating, so I always do that first so I have the same controls on new characters as on my older ones. I have 'Toggle Repeat Autofire' on my right mousebutton for example.

Targetting can be confusing too, I use the X-key to select a specific target and I made a macro to change my targetting to the nearest target available instead of cycling outward. You can find more hints about macros, and smuggler guides on the smuggler profession forum FAQ :)

• ShreddiShreddi Member UncommonPosts: 320

I havnt logged on for about a year after it first ever came out. Is it really that different now? Is the content and graphics that much better? thanks.

This post is intentionally written as to not make any sense what so ever. Thank You Very Much.

• BullseyeArc1BullseyeArc1 Member UncommonPosts: 410

They added alot of time consuming things like collections and instances. Instances have never interested me much, but you need to do these now to get good gear. Crafters did get a revamp, they can now place stats on armor clothing and weapons. Its very boring, I would rather go to the dentist than RE a suite of armor.

Its the cheap mans development since NGE, time wasting stuff like that. The PVP is pretty good on some servers. If your on Starsider or a heavy populated server like Bria or Chilly, expect slide show pvp. "Highly depends on how close you are to the server, Some people dont lagg out as bad as others" The servers were never meant to handle the massive amounts of data that is created when thiers a 100 or more people all firing off at the same time.

I would say try it out for yourself, thier is a decent amount for you to do for a while. Me on the other hand will be taking a break till winter, thats about how long it takes for any noticable development.

But thiers still a pretty healthy population on the transfer to servers, the community is still the most active I have seen on any mmo. So if your into drama SWG is the place to be.

• twruletwrule Member Posts: 1,251

Stop making troll posts that break the TOS of this site.  You JUST made a thread like this.

• GavelaydeGavelayde Member Posts: 62

Oops...I just thought I would interupt things...SWG is about "controling spawns" Plain and simple. Whoever is the most powerful in a given spot takes control...I understand that. But what is it about all  the piles of crap that noone can sell???

• GavelaydeGavelayde Member Posts: 62

My bad. My point is there are piles of crap that noone can sell...One of the most annoying of SWG's problems...but obviously not on the list of pertenant probs...Which makes Swg shallow beyond reason. 

• summitussummitus Member UncommonPosts: 1,414