Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Cant stop trying this game!

I think Ive signed up for like 8 free trial periods and 2 full subscriptions since about a month after the nge was released(I originally decided to try the game because I heard about the twitch combat). I've run the tutorial plus the first 5 or 6 legacy quests every time. I know that:

The game seems like there is a lot to do but much of it is broken.

PVP isnt that good

Space combat is empty for some insane reason except on a few servers and in some select guilds(Im not a guild person).

The Economy is as bad as the US economy today.

Animations are atrocious.

Quests are absurdly bad.

So why do I keep coming back ;( ????

/rant off

Between the spy, smuggler, and commando, which has the best:

1.PVE Soloability

2.PVE fun

3.PVP versatility

?

Extremism in the defense of Liberty is no vice.

Comments

• DraenorDraenor Member UncommonPosts: 7,918

The quests are poorly designed...they're extreme frustrating to do without the help of a wiki or alakazam.

Your argument is like a two legged dog with an eating disorder...weak and unbalanced.

• pdxgeekpdxgeek Member Posts: 585
    Originally posted by MMORPDEATH

2.PVE fun

What is so fun about endless, grindy collections and cookie-cutter "heroic" instances?

• ObraikObraik Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 7,261
    Originally posted by pdxgeek

2.PVE fun

What is so fun about endless, grindy collections and cookie-cutter "heroic" instances?

More fun then posting about a game I don't enjoy, I suspect :)

• BadgerSmakerBadgerSmaker Member Posts: 629

I think Ive signed up for like 8 free trial periods and 2 full subscriptions since about a month after the nge was released(I originally decided to try the game because I heard about the twitch combat). I've run the tutorial plus the first 5 or 6 legacy quests every time. I know that:

PVP isnt that good
    Space combat is empty for some insane reason except on a few servers and in some select guilds(Im not a guild person).
    Quests are absurdly bad.

/rant off

1.PVE Soloability
    2.PVE fun
    3.PVP versatility
    ?

Hi there, MMORPDEATH.

What server and profession are you currently playing?  What level are you at the moment?

Commando is a good profession to play when getting to grips with the game again.  If you're not enjoying the legacy quest, you can level up using Mission Terminals or Kashyyyk and then bypass much of it to the later parts which are more enjoyable.

More info on that can be found here: Guide: Understanding Experience Gain

I hope that helps, let me know if you have any other questions.

• Darth_PeteDarth_Pete Member Posts: 559

PVP isnt that good
    Quests are absurdly bad.

/rant off

1.PVE Soloability
    2.PVE fun
    3.PVP versatility
    ?

Are you a Star Wars fan by any chance? Thats the only reason I check this game out few times a year.

• eccotoneccoton Member UncommonPosts: 1,340

You keep coming back because it is Star Wars, or you are a vet and hope in vain for the wonderful experience that we all once had.

• MMORPDEATHMMORPDEATH Member Posts: 414
    Originally posted by Darth_Pete

PVP isnt that good
    Quests are absurdly bad.

/rant off

1.PVE Soloability
    2.PVE fun
    3.PVP versatility
    ?

Are you a Star Wars fan by any chance? Thats the only reason I check this game out few times a year.

sadly yes, and if SWG was even remotely close to "wow in space" I would be ALL over it. The lure of building my own tie fighter is something  I know I will probably never achieve in game but the idea that you can do it an theoretically fly space missions that use the old x-wing alliance engine is alluring I guess.

• MMORPDEATHMMORPDEATH Member Posts: 414
    Originally posted by BadgerSmaker

PVP isnt that good
    Quests are absurdly bad.

/rant off

1.PVE Soloability
    2.PVE fun
    3.PVP versatility
    ?

Hi there, MMORPDEATH.

What server and profession are you currently playing?  What level are you at the moment?

Commando is a good profession to play when getting to grips with the game again.  If you're not enjoying the legacy quest, you can level up using Mission Terminals or Kashyyyk and then bypass much of it to the later parts which are more enjoyable.

More info on that can be found here: Guide: Understanding Experience Gain

I hope that helps, let me know if you have any other questions.

This does help very much, thank you. SWG is such an overwhelming game that I will probably need all the help I can get! The highest levels I have been to have been 15 with a Spy, which seemed like a lot of fun for pve, but there were a few "1 shotted by mobs" moments where I wished I had a little more survivability. I've also rolled a cl 21-22 with a commando. I am finally making an account on my main Station account so I am re-rolling. Im going to play out the 14 day trial and then get the subscription, although making a speeder bike AGAIN would be so annoying and the in-box at-rt and naboo thingy sound great. I am thinking about re-rolling as an officer or smuggler on Bria as I never gave them the time of day, but im not sure how good they are at soloing and I dont want to end up at lvl 40 or so realizing that I shouldve just gone with the commando again. I'd really like to be able to solo dungeons, and dont mind doing it the hard way instead of the spy stealther thing. Jedi are not an option.

• ArcAngel3ArcAngel3 Member Posts: 2,931
    Originally posted by Obraik

2.PVE fun

Shades of Chris Cao lol.  The sad fact of the matter is that many former players of SWG actually do find posting about it more enjoyable than the actual game.  Why?  These forums aren't broken, MMORPG doesn't lie to us, they don't scam us for cash, they don't take away anything we spent years building; and when we post something, we always get a response.  Too bad, none of the above can be said for SWG.

A big part of what made the game so much fun, was the community, before SOE ran us all off with their insanity.  It just so happens that some of that community now congregates here.

• BadgerSmakerBadgerSmaker Member Posts: 629

This does help very much, thank you. SWG is such an overwhelming game that I will probably need all the help I can get! The highest levels I have been to have been 15 with a Spy, which seemed like a lot of fun for pve, but there were a few "1 shotted by mobs" moments where I wished I had a little more survivability. I've also rolled a cl 21-22 with a commando. I am finally making an account on my main Station account so I am re-rolling. Im going to play out the 14 day trial and then get the subscription, although making a speeder bike AGAIN would be so annoying and the in-box at-rt and naboo thingy sound great. I am thinking about re-rolling as an officer or smuggler on Bria as I never gave them the time of day, but im not sure how good they are at soloing and I dont want to end up at lvl 40 or so realizing that I shouldve just gone with the commando again. I'd really like to be able to solo dungeons, and dont mind doing it the hard way instead of the spy stealther thing. Jedi are not an option.

There certainly is a lot to take in, SWG is a HUGE game!

I've levelled every combat profession to 90, expect Jedi, for similar reasons to yourself it would seem. 

They all have their pro's and con's during the levelling process, Commando for instance is moer about damage over time rather than shock damage like Smuggler or Officer.

Where a Smuggler might snare an entire group of MObs and take them down with high damage cone attacks and not get hit, an Officer would charge in and call artilery down on them all and wipe them out in a huge explosion,  a commando would stand right in the middle and set everything on fire then grenade them all.

Spy and BH are more about single target damage, so can be a bit tough for solo PvE, but the Spy stealth utility means you can complete quests really easily by just staying cloaked.

Don't forget, you can change professions at any time by visiting a Profession Counsellor!

• Agricola1Agricola1 Member UncommonPosts: 4,977

Imagine how much more fun the game would be with 32 professions to do and no levels where you could mix and match skills?

That would rock, maybe Badger could suggest this to Smedley when they decide to re-open the imperial senate!!!!!!

"Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience"

CS Lewis

• BullseyeArc1BullseyeArc1 Member UncommonPosts: 410
    Originally posted by Obraik

2.PVE fun

Well I spent the first two years pve, two years spin grinding, and two years pvp.   Now im back to pve and crafting.    My fun isnt everyones, right now Im back into improving my toons with loot, which goes with the new RE system.   Plus I never made a few weapons, so Im having fun finding rare stuff to make them, resources to geo-sword cores. 

• nanovipernanoviper Member UncommonPosts: 64

The Truth is I too, had a problem with this. And I resolved it by simply promising myself that I'd quit. The real reason most players are intrigued by swg, broken mechanics and all is that it is that starwars universe that we all love. In truth it's hard not to wanna play a game in such a setting, But the fact of the matter is, the game is serverely broken, the community is only a shell of its former self, and the devs are simply unwilling to listen to the community at large.  

Blizzard uses WOW to harvest hours played into bottles so that the dev team can remain immortal

• Agricola1Agricola1 Member UncommonPosts: 4,977

<Mod edit>

Fantasy? You know it's true, the senators are nothing but playthings used to dupe a community (what's left of it) into believing he's doing something they want.
    The senators never were nor have been taken seriously, with the senate being locked down more than once. Also senators are notorious for thinking themselves better than the average subscriber because they bite the SOE pillow on a regular basis.
    The senate didn't represent us with the Combat upgreade/balance/revamp nor anyother aspect of the game. They stood by, and let Smedley commit atrocity after atrocity while the playerbase was left bent over clutching its rear end and grimmacing in pain.
    Now you have the brass neck to post on public forums about organizing fan fest and your hopes for the future? Spare me and all the other who suffered those atrocities and spare the newbies that haven't been torn apart by SOE smoke and mirrors, yet!
    Long live Bioware! Long live SWtOR! Death to SWG!

"Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience"

CS Lewis