Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Here's hoping that if DF succeeds...

Zayne3145Zayne3145 Member Posts: 1,448

It won't be filled with the elitist characters that seem to plague these forums. Being a fan of a game is fine, but when you start insulting every single demographic of the MMO community as a whole, and proclaim that "DF is not for you, go back to WoW" or "Lol carebear, you can't handle DF" you are REALLY sending out the wrong message.

I find it quite ironic that a lot of these militant fanboys will probably end up being frozen out by the DF community. Once the playerbase settles, these diehard supporters will soon find that others won't put up with their extremist, intolerant and narrow-minded attitudes in-game. Good luck finding a guild, guys (unless it's a guild called 'ZOMG DF IS TOO HARDCORE 4 U LOL').

The majority of people who want DF to succeed are quite mature individuals, quietly hoping for this game to be at least a close approximation to what it promises. The vocal few who are screaming "LOLOL OMG DF WILL PWN U NOOBz!1" are having a very negative effect on the game. They just don't realise it.

Comments

• fyerwallfyerwall Member UncommonPosts: 3,240
    Originally posted by Zayne3145

It won't be filled with the elitist characters that seem to plague these forums. Being a fan of a game is fine, but when you start insulting every single demographic of the MMO community as a whole, and proclaim that "DF is not for you, go back to WoW" or "Lol carebear, you can't handle DF" you are REALLY sending out the wrong message.
    I find it quite ironic that a lot of these militant fanboys will probably end up being frozen out by the DF community. Once the playerbase settles, these diehard supporters will soon find that others won't put up with their extremist, intolerant and narrow-minded attitudes in-game. Good luck finding a guild, guys (unless it's a guild called 'ZOMG DF IS TOO HARDCORE 4 U LOL').
    The majority of people who want DF to succeed are quite mature individuals, quietly hoping for this game to be at least a close approximation to what it promises. The vocal few who are screaming "LOLOL OMG DF WILL PWN U NOOBz!1" are having a very negative effect on the game. They just don't realise it.

Sadly 90% of the official forums are like that as well.

It will just prove my point about community smear campainging thier own game through actions alone.

Hopefully you are right and the community turns on the rofltards like they are leppers.

There are 3 types of people in the world.
    1.) Those who make things happen
    2.) Those who watch things happen
    3.) And those who wonder "What the %#*& just happened?!"

• dark-merlindark-merlin Member Posts: 314

If you are referring to my post I would like to refer you to the massive campaigns of disinformation that tenspotting aka fufud and his million aliases and proxies have generated over the years

I dont go around tarnishing the image of Aion or Mortal Online or any other game on this site, I just dont want people to come and bash a game in beta which still has an NDA up and things not enabled.

that is exactly what trolls are doing, so I can have my rebuttal on these forums aswell

and I hope you will play the game when it comes out, I wont kill you the first time I see you, since u havent been a troll on here

• Thoric485Thoric485 Member UncommonPosts: 525

I see your point. But after spending some time in Forumfall, the "LOL i wont play dis cause of full loot. It will be the end of this game. DARKFAIL ROFL" threads... They make me die a little inside.

/emowrist

"The hammer of the gods will drive our ships to new lands,
    To fight the horde, singing and crying: Valhalla, I am coming!
    On we sweep with threshing oar, our only goal will be the western shore."
  • Zayne3145Zayne3145 Member Posts: 1,448

I think the issue with Trolls is that the majority of people can tell a troll post from constructive critiscism or genuine concern. The problem occurs when people who are representing the pro-Darkfall community are making sweeping statements that are insulting to huge swathes of the MMO community.

Although I am a WoW player and not really interested in PvP, I am going to give DF a shot as its gameplay intriques me (full loot especially). Seeing posts like "Go back to WoW" and "DF isn't for carebears" presents a case for alienation for people like me who are quite open-minded players from 'uncool' or 'carebear' games like WoW that are willing to give DF a shot and adapt to its playstyle. By declaring that we're not wanted from the very start is not really a good way of promoting a game.

• rishakirishaki Member Posts: 181

This game is gonna be remembered as the biggest scam in the history of mmo. When darkfall fans finally realize what a froud this game is mmo will be no more. Thier dream taken from them, some will take the easy way out, a rope, a knife if lucky those not so lucky will join thier frindes in the future "Darkfall letdowns Mental Institution" but other will stand up and demand whats rightfully thiers,.. Run Tasos, run!

I wish people could losen up a bit, its just a game and people gets so offended by an opinion that  not of thier liking.

• ProfRedProfRed Member UncommonPosts: 3,494

Once again show me quotes of these swarms of rabid fanbois you guys keep talking about. 

• miagisanmiagisan Member Posts: 5,156

i hope it succeeds, I hope it gets 11 million subs, then we can ridicule it like we do wow!

Originally posted by miagisan

i hope it succeeds, I hope it gets 11 million subs, then we can ridicule it like we do wow!

Nooooo, just 200-300k max mmk.

I think the issue with Trolls is that the majority of people can tell a troll post from constructive critiscism or genuine concern. The problem occurs when people who are representing the pro-Darkfall community are making sweeping statements that are insulting to huge swathes of the MMO community.
    Although I am a WoW player and not really interested in PvP, I am going to give DF a shot as its gameplay intriques me (full loot especially). Seeing posts like "Go back to WoW" and "DF isn't for carebears" presents a case for alienation for people like me who are quite open-minded players from 'uncool' or 'carebear' games like WoW that are willing to give DF a shot and adapt to its playstyle. By declaring that we're not wanted from the very start is not really a good way of promoting a game.

That is fine and I am personally glad you would put the effort in trying a different game ruleset. I have tried WoW albeit only to level 17 and found it's not for me, but I did give it a shot and bought it back in the day.

The issue with trolling and saying you are not wanted: most oldschool pvpers are genuinely scared that with people coming in and asking different rulesets will make the devs change the game, just like it happened with Ultima Online Trammel or even Asheron's Call PVP-lite bullcrap.

This is very serious and can damage the game so many people out of frustration will yell out "carebear or go back to wow". You will need a thick skin in DF, really, you will die a shitload and loose alot of crap, everyone will. The problem starts when people come to forums and start suggesting changes in game mechanics to make the game easier.

I dont really care about awesome animations and huge facial customization, or epic quest gear and all that. You cant have everyhing in one game. What I want is FFA pvp, fps aiming, city building, sieging, ship battles, mounted combat , massive battles, crafting of all items and a quest or two for when you are bored

some people just hype themselves up too much and expect everything out of a game, just unrealistic - and thats when trolling happens

• miagisanmiagisan Member Posts: 5,156
    Originally posted by ProfRed

my personal guess it s going to have more around 50k after 2 - 3 months. But that's just a guess on my part.

my personal guess it s going to have more around 50k after 2 - 3 months. But that's just a guess on my part.

Definitely could happen.  As long as it has one full server I would be happy, and they would have a chance to grow and continuously pick up subs if they don't have to spend the first 6 months fixing bugs and they can focus on game improvements.

• jimmyman99jimmyman99 Member UncommonPosts: 3,221

I support your statments 100%. Everytime anyone (not just DF players) say things like "go back to WoW" they troll. People are full of stereotypes, or maybe they are just too young to understand the difference between trolling and criticism. I play WoW and I play PvP games like GW, Eve, Planetside. A lot of times when I compare one feature of a PvP game with, lets say WoW, then I get called "carebear" and what not. Sometimes I dont even mention WoW but people check my XFire profile and see how many hours I spend in WoW and still make an assumtion im a WoW junkie.

But what can you do about this? Nuttin. All you can do is just wait for them to grow up. Anonymous free speech on the internet FTW.

I am the type of player where I like to do everything and anything from time to time.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Holodomor - pre-WW2 genocide.
    imageimage

• jy88902jy88902 Member Posts: 293

Once again show me quotes of these swarms of rabid fanbois you guys keep talking about. 

That's easy, here's one:

http://www.mmorpg.com/discussion2.cfm/post/2599962#2599962

Most of his more vicious stuff ended up getting deleted, but they're all basically just some derogatory combination of phrases like "theme park", "carebear", and "WoW".

• altairzqaltairzq Member Posts: 3,811

I think the rabid fanatics are a serious thread to Darkfall success. They are avid blood thirsty gankers that only want to kill everybody in revenge, and they will be a lot in Darkfall's probably small population, at least at first.

• atziluthatziluth Member UncommonPosts: 1,190
    Originally posted by altairzq

I think the rabid fanatics are a serious thread to Darkfall success. They are avid blood thirsty gankers that only want to kill everybody in revenge, and they will be a lot in Darkfall's probably small population, at least at first.

I think just the opposite. Most of the fanbois will not be able to cope with FFA PvP and will be the first ones to quit. They exibit a bully mentality which is prone to a lot of posturing, but when actions are taken prove to be less then challenging.

Most of the talk on the official boards is little more then childish epeen waving before a game. When the chips are down I would much rather have realists on my side then the fanbois.

Some may prove to be more then big talk, but most just will not have the stomach for it. That has always been the way in past games, I don't see why it should be different now.

-Atziluth-

- Never underestimate the predictability of stupidity.

Like I stated previously most real PVPers will die alot and know it, with or without guild support.

On AC I was the top dog on my server after about 2 years of getting my ass kicked until I finally had the fluid movement in fastcasting war magic to win 90% of the time. Then after about 6 months I calmed down and didnt play as much, so others took my place and beat me since they practiced more.

the trick is to enjoy the game winning or loosing, as I fondly remember fighting a 8 vs 1 fight and killing about 3 until finally dieing. I lost alot of crap and did not have the time to loot anyone that I killed, so I technically didnt gain anything by fighting, but it made that fight a great memory after 5 or so years nothing has come close in any mmorpg.

• HotjazzHotjazz Member UncommonPosts: 742

I think we want all players to join DF, not just the ones that played hardcore pvp mmo`s 10 years ago.

I want players like you to have the fun only a full-loot mmo can provide. And trust me, if you get the taste of a mmo with a gameplay like DF promise, you will never be able to fully enjoy games like WOW again. I`m not sure what it is that make full-loot sandbox mmo`s so addictive, but you meet those players in every game from UO to EvE.

Don`t you wonder what makes grown-up people defend an indie mmo like DF?

It`s not Aventurine, Tasos or the crappy animations that makes us so hyped up for DF. It`s the thought we might be able to play a game with danger, adrenaline and where death means something. Give me a mmorpg with UO gameplay, WOW animation/graphics and EVE politics and I`m a happy man.

• altairzqaltairzq Member Posts: 3,811
    Originally posted by atziluth

I think just the opposite. Most of the fanbois will not be able to cope with FFA PvP and will be the first ones to quit. They exibit a bully mentality which is prone to a lot of posturing, but when actions are taken prove to be less then challenging.

Most of the talk on the official boards is little more then childish epeen waving before a game. When the chips are down I would much rather have realists on my side then the fanbois.

Some may prove to be more then big talk, but most just will not have the stomach for it. That has always been the way in past games, I don't see why it should be different now.

Hope you are right. And also hope there will be some devoted anti-PK guild, I for sure will join it.

• indiramournindiramourn Member UncommonPosts: 884

And also hope there will be some devoted anti-PK guild, I for sure will join it.

Same.

• cosycosy Member UncommonPosts: 3,228
    Originally posted by indiramourn

And also hope there will be some devoted anti-PK guild, I for sure will join it.

Same.

and what you make against pk  ?     run  ?

BestSigEver :P

• VagelispVagelisp Member UncommonPosts: 448

Go back to WOW? Well at least you have some place to go and unless WOW players lie, many WOW's PVP servers are full most of the time.

Darkfall IS going to be populated with people who will use any method to humiliate other players using any means they can, including exploits, hacks, third party apps and everything else that turned UO into a war between devs and players many years ago.

These kind of "real life" interactions were one of the problems that turned UO into trammel and felluca instances.

Many PVP-PK guilds were banned, even from siege perilus (A HC server of UO) and since EQ launched back then they blamed UO's Hard core PVP (my ass) ruleset. they forgot that EQ was 3D and it had a damn chat channel. ICQ anyone?

Anyway this "cursed" pvp style is just a method to delay dead-looted ones from entering the battle fields like nothing happened and give a reason for crafters' professions to exist.

Everyone is welcome to try Darkfall, and be sure that people who use such phrases will be the first ones to click the cancel account button.

• UnderdogSMOUnderdogSMO Member Posts: 41

theres alot of people that dont want to gank every player thay come acrouse.  hears an idea form a clan watch each otheres backs and hang out with one anuther online.

just like any MMO this game will be full of little clicks (people that like to play the game the same one

there are planty of A** holes on game's like wow  but you realy cant do any thing about tham in DF you can atlest kill them and take there stuff if thay keep bugging you and your buddys

• Paragus1Paragus1 Member UncommonPosts: 1,741

Hope you are right. And also hope there will be some devoted anti-PK guild, I for sure will join it.

From a guild leader's point of view, this would be a little harder to define given the game's rule set.  Let's say you want to make your guild anti-PK, right off the bat that means the guild makeup will not be able to be ARAC because no matter what you do, a guild member will become flagged as "red".

So you have to narrow it down to one racial pairing, which is probably what most of the guilds playing Darkfall intend to do.   In my case for example, my guys want to go Ork / Mahirim.  We then have to define what we would consider a PK, which would probably be someone who is "red" (someone who attacks people of their own racial pairing).

I can't imagine any player who decides to not randomly murder his own race to not target a "red" player when they have the opportunity.  Imagine if you see someone of your own race who is red, you know that person has killed someone of your own race, so chances are you aren't going to trust them to be in proximity of you without pulling a stunt.  So I would say by default, most people will initially see themselves as anti-pk by this definition.

Now do you consider a Ork who attacks a Human or an Alfar a PK?  After all, the games internal alignment mechanics pretty much encourage this activity.  I would expect most of my guild members to kill someone who is not a part of our racial pairing, with a few exceptions.

I think for the concept of an anti-PK guild to exist, there can't be the barriers that this game ahs built into it.  Games like Asheron's Call (Darktide) did not have an internal mechanic to form teams of sorts.  In that situation, something like this is a lot more viable from a guild charter /policy point of view.

• Zayne3145Zayne3145 Member Posts: 1,448

"UO guards insta-killed crims in town, yet people still PK'd in town. Get the fuck out of here with your carebear threads. Yes guards will assist people, yet noone cares that you cant find ways to kill bank sitters. WoW is this way: |_| < door to wow /wave"

Just had to pop that little example in that I saw today on a DF thread. A prime example of what I'm talking about.

• RavenRaven Member UncommonPosts: 2,005

Definitely could happen.  As long as it has one full server I would be happy, and they would have a chance to grow and continuously pick up subs if they don't have to spend the first 6 months fixing bugs and they can focus on game improvements.

Except with 50k subs they would be at a loss from the start with a debt to pay off, struggling to keep employees, fixes and content will never get released, customer support will be the lowest because they cant afford it, good thinking Sherlock!