Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

WoW going down thanks to the economy

2»

Comments

• Zayne3145Zayne3145 Member Posts: 1,448

I heard that in the event of a nuclear holocaust, only Cockroaches and WoW would survive.

So I wouldn't worry about a piddly little recession.

• TalRashaTalRasha Member UncommonPosts: 827

How do I get a job with The Internet? Help me save WoW by saving The Internet.

• SXRchosen1SXRchosen1 Member Posts: 179

waste your money on more useless crap?

http://acominos.evony.com <- if your bored at work :)

• BastogneBastogne Member Posts: 23

Who doesnt like to waste their money on useless crap? There are entire industries based off this concept. And dont forget the industries that support those industries. Useless crap FTW!!!!

Games played/playing: Asheron's Call, AC2, SWG, GW, LotRO (Beta), DnDO (Beta), WoW

• warrorwarror Member Posts: 270

Studies have shown that as the economy gets worse, video games are actually played more. One example used in the article was you don't have money to see a movie so you stay home and play video games more often. People also play video games to take there mind of the real world. So in an unstabble economy people will play more. This economy will not hurt Wow. The only thing that could decimate Wow is a nuclear war in China and Japan. That would decimate 8 million of Wow player base. Other than that Wow numbers should continue to climb.

• TorginTorgin Member Posts: 82

Originally posted by warror

Studies have shown that as the economy gets worse, video games are actually played more. One example used in the article was you don't have money to see a movie so you stay home and play video games more often. People also play video games to take there mind of the real world. So in an unstabble economy people will play more. This economy will not hurt Wow. The only thing that could decimate Wow is a nuclear war in China and Japan. That would decimate 8 million of Wow player base. Other than that Wow numbers should continue to climb.

Exactly. :) Some people rage against this with all their might because they want MMOs like WoW to fail. Sorry, but it just isn't happening due to the economy.
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • muchavezmuchavez Member UncommonPosts: 199
    Originally posted by SmurfMagic

the Internet is laying off 50% of its staff

huh?

• floppyfacefloppyface Member Posts: 97
    Originally posted by templarga

No, you are not thinking like someone who got laid off from work. When you do, you begin to think about ways to maximize your entertainment dollar. For example, a movie entertains you for 2-3 hours, plus gas money as well. So you are talking $20 or so minimum. Tack on gas (depending the length of the drive) and food or whatever else, and you have spent $40-50 easy.
    Now think of an MMO. You pay $15 a month and can easily get 60+ hours a month. That is roughly 25 cents an hour - it is by far the cheapest form of entertainment. This is assuming you already have the account setup and don't to purchase the game or upgrade your computer or such.
    Now, if you do not like the game or do not like MMO's, the by all means do not subscribe to the game. However, you cannot argue that its a cheap form of entertainment.

I work in IT. Of course I've been retrenched. A couple of times and that wasn't even in recession times and I can tell you I start to think about costs.

And you're obviously not thinking like someone who has a kid, mortgage/rent, car loan, credit card debt. I'm sure you say you have all of those, hey, its the internet, we can drive Ferrari's or have Ph.D's, be black or what, or be extremely poor when it suits us.

I'm not saying mmorpg's aren't good value. But I know people with secure jobs who don't see the point of paying $15 a month - recession or no recession.

• floppyfacefloppyface Member Posts: 97
    Originally posted by warror

Playing computer games and buying computer games are two different things. While I dont think a lot of people will cancel WoW because of the recession, obviously some will - especially older players with children, mortages, credit card debt and car loans - a lot of people will not be forking over over the $60-70 buying the game for the first time. Someone with WoW, BC and WotLK already purchased only has to worry the $15 a month.

I know of dozens of players who have quit WoW. There are people quitting WoW all the time. But with WoW so well known and because of advertising Blizzard can always bring in new players. So many of the people I used to play with pre-BC have quit WoW. It is one of the reasons WoW has changed so much in the last 12 months. Experienced mmorpg players are quitting and Blizzard is brining in people who have never played an mmorpg before and therefore Blizzard has changed the game to suit them.

While the amount of people freezing their accounts will only slightly increase, or not at all, the sales of new WoW accounts will decline sharply.

• safwdsafwd Member Posts: 879
    Originally posted by Dkevlar

Originally posted by Torgin

Originally posted by Dkevlar

things were never this bad. And that is the scary part. the 1929 crysis was, in many aspects, a production originated crysis that afflicted the financial area. In a way the 1929 crysis only  reached the masses with the crash.

For the record: unless you are writing about the video game, the word you are looking for is spelled C-R-I-S-I-S. Chalk another point up for video games destroying our language...

english is my like my third language. native is, portuguese, fluent in french.and then it is a matchup between english, german and dutch. Overall , IMO, not that bad for a 3th order language. But you are right and i'll correct it asap.

Dont you just love how many of my fellow Americans just assume that English is what everyone uses.

We have one of the worst educations systems, only about 20% of us actually speak another language, many cant even speak or write English, yet we jump on those for bad grammer that speak 3+. Wonder why others think we are obnoxious.

Anyway, the economy will not be the end of WoW or any other MMO. Like others have said, MMOs are a cheap form of entertainment.

The only think that will kill WoW is when everyone finally realises that it really isnt that good of a game.

• TorginTorgin Member Posts: 82

Originally posted by safwd
    Dont you just love how many of my fellow Americans just assume that English is what everyone uses.

Well, he is typing IN ENGLISH, so I have to assume he IS USING IT. LOL!

We have one of the worst educations systems, only about 20% of us actually speak another language, many cant even speak or write English,

If you're referring to the USA, they actually have one of the best education systems out there. Granted, there are disparities between school districts in different regions, but - unlike many other countries - the USA keeps trying to educate kids until they're 18 (and beyond, if you take GED programs and grants into account). A lot of other countries simply drop the students that don't perform very well, creating the impression that they do much better when tested.

yet we jump on those for bad grammer that speak 3+. Wonder why others think we are obnoxious.

Spelling, actually - that's different than grammar. I usually don't jump on such things but.. the crisis thing gets to me. There are a lot of people that will be incorrectly spelling that word because of that mediocre video game. *&^@!

The only think that will kill WoW is when everyone finally realises that it really isnt that good of a game. image

WoW will be defeated when another game comes out that is more appealing to the majority of MMO players out there. It hasn't happened yet and, looking at the upcoming schedule of games, I don't see it happening anytime soon.

• woody1974woody1974 Member Posts: 257
    Originally posted by Khrymson

If anything, WoW is going to be going way up in subscriptions thanks to the economy...hundreds of thousands of layoffs, tons of businesses are closing their doors or merging with larger corporations.  More people will be home and with greatly reduced income there won't be any going out all the time and spending tons of cash on entertainment. 

Instead, they'll be staying at home and playing cheap $14.99 a month; unlimited entertainment!

I think your forgetting another important puzzle piece...With no job how are they going to afford to pay for the Internet Service (required to play online) each month. Better add $20 - $50 a month depending on who you have..I also doubt people will give a rats a** about WOW when they have bills to pay and no job..

• MaNiaGGMaNiaGG Member UncommonPosts: 76
    Originally posted by floppyface

Its not really WoW thats going down but I read in a  newspaper that the Internet is laying off 50% of its staff and that will effect everyone !

Some players will cancel their subscriptions to pay bills.

Lol if you can't afford 15$ for your hobby your a loser in rl tbh   

• SpoonpottSpoonpott Member Posts: 180

Its not really WoW thats going down but I read in a  newspaper that the Internet is laying off 50% of its staff and that will effect everyone !

You got anymore of that stuff??

The rules of Debate are really simple; once you have to stoop to insults instead of facts, logic, or reason to try and win your argument, you've lost.

• QilinQilin Member Posts: 18
    Originally posted by woody1974

Originally posted by Khrymson

If anything, WoW is going to be going way up in subscriptions thanks to the economy...hundreds of thousands of layoffs, tons of businesses are closing their doors or merging with larger corporations.  More people will be home and with greatly reduced income there won't be any going out all the time and spending tons of cash on entertainment. 

Instead, they'll be staying at home and playing cheap $14.99 a month; unlimited entertainment!

I think your forgetting another important puzzle piece...With no job how are they going to afford to pay for the Internet Service (required to play online) each month. Better add $20 - $50 a month depending on who you have..I also doubt people will give a rats a** about WOW when they have bills to pay and no job..

/facepalm

Considering %10 or a lower percent of the community being just casual players, a pessimistic logic.

• The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • safwdsafwd Member Posts: 879
    Originally posted by Torgin

Originally posted by safwd

Well, he is typing IN ENGLISH, so I have to assume he IS USING IT. LOL!

We have one of the worst educations systems, only about 20% of us actually speak another language, many cant even speak or write English,

If you're referring to the USA, they actually have one of the best education systems out there. Granted, there are disparities between school districts in different regions, but - unlike many other countries - the USA keeps trying to educate kids until they're 18 (and beyond, if you take GED programs and grants into account). A lot of other countries simply drop the students that don't perform very well, creating the impression that they do much better when tested.

yet we jump on those for bad grammer that speak 3+. Wonder why others think we are obnoxious.

Spelling, actually - that's different than grammar. I usually don't jump on such things but.. the crisis thing gets to me. There are a lot of people that will be incorrectly spelling that word because of that mediocre video game. *&^@!

The only think that will kill WoW is when everyone finally realises that it really isnt that good of a game.

WoW will be defeated when another game comes out that is more appealing to the majority of MMO players out there. It hasn't happened yet and, looking at the upcoming schedule of games, I don't see it happening anytime soon.

Excellent response.

And Crysis really is a pretty turd isnt it.

• dreamsfadedreamsfade Member UncommonPosts: 339

the internet, rofl...

• Wildarms444Wildarms444 Member Posts: 2

HAH! HAHAHAHA You ALL have got to be kidding me...    Job loss causing Loss of WoW players. People will sell the clothes off their back to make payments on that game if there addicted enough.

And oh whats this? A Free private server where 1000's play and it's NOT illegal?

Play a private server   -15$

Use free wireless internet at a cafe or elsewhere -?? $

HAHA Basically Free WoW ^.^

P.S. I don't check back on my posts so a reply to me is pointless. why would i do sucha  thing? cause i can't remember where i post and i usually sign up for a site to play a game or get a key. i'm not so much of a forum junky unless i have one of my days of just being bored. anyone else like that?

• BastogneBastogne Member Posts: 23

The biggest flaw to the OP's arguement is the fact that when economic times are tough, the low cost entertainment options thrive while the high end entertainment options suffer. This is why Disney World has it tough and Netflix and WoW continue to do well.

Games played/playing: Asheron's Call, AC2, SWG, GW, LotRO (Beta), DnDO (Beta), WoW