Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

EverQuest II: The Fighter Revamp

SzarkSzark News ManagerMember Posts: 4,420

The folks at EverQuest II have prepared a dev journal which looks into upcoming changes to the fighter archetype, tanking, and how hate functions.

GU #51, Lucan’s Art of War, will bring a sweeping change to aggro management and how hate is gained. This is a significant change and we want to make sure that it’s as clear as possible.

Why Are These Changes Being Made?

Over time, mechanics have shifted from tanks grabbing and holding aggro because they’re the biggest and baddest thing making the mob angry, to tanks grabbing and holding aggro because they’re being fed hate from other people making the mob angry. In short, the emphasis has been on passive hate gain rather than active hate gain.

The goal is to shift back towards active hate gain and make holding a mob’s attention a more interactive process for the tank.

Read more about EverQuest II's Fighter Revamp.

Comments

• ZDPhoenixZDPhoenix Member UncommonPosts: 218

This and the XP gain increase from last year almost makes me want to reactivate my EQ2 account and start playing my Zerker again.

Almost.

I had a deep love for Norrath and EQ2 for years. But I really don't want to be associated with (paying for) a game that has an Item Mall, no matter how little those items may be, the only way to go is up with stuff like that.

• LocklainLocklain Member Posts: 2,154
    Originally posted by ZDPhoenix

This and the XP gain increase from last year almost makes me want to reactivate my EQ2 account and start playing my Zerker again.
    Almost.
    I had a deep love for Norrath and EQ2 for years. But I really don't want to be associated with (paying for) a game that has an Item Mall, no matter how little those items may be, the only way to go is up with stuff like that.

With the drought of good MMOs out I might come back to good ol' EQ2.  It has been a while since I last played and the Item Mall does not bother me.

It's a Jeep thing. . .
    _______
    |___image|
    \_______/
    = image||||||image =
    |X| \*........*/ |X|
    |X|_________|X|
    You wouldn't understand
  • DarwaDarwa Member UncommonPosts: 2,181
    Originally posted by Locklain

Almost.

With the drought of good MMOs out I might come back to good ol' EQ2.  It has been a while since I last played and the Item Mall does not bother me.

Go for it

I try every MMO that gets released, but none of them have kept me as entertained as EQ2 has managed to since its launch.

Despite what the plentitude of SOE/RMT haters will have you believe, The Marketplace makes no difference whatsoever to those that choose not to use it.

• brownbearbrownbear Member Posts: 13

Almost.

At first I had the same feeling about it until I actually checked it out. Everything they sell is strictly cosmetic with the exception of weak xp potions. Nothing sold has any real benefit other than looks so it doesn't effect actual gameplay. It's all junk anyway.

• skeaserskeaser Member RarePosts: 4,180

Interesting. My only concern is, as a tank, that my threat meter will only show me @ 100% (if I'm doing my job). I'd like to also see perhaps 2nd and 3rd place and their threat. That way, in case the approach 100% I can try to step it up.

Other than that, I like the idea, just hope I get a free AA respec.

Sig so that badges don't eat my posts.

• LuckyRLuckyR Member UncommonPosts: 260

AHHHH making a tank a tank what a great thing to do. I just hope all the cry babies don't get SOE

to change their mind.

Well done SOE.

• scotczechscotczech Member Posts: 133

They nerfed EQ2 just like EQ1 and SWG.

Game is childs play, boringly so.

They best launch a classic server hahah, shards and group xp penalty? hurry!! haha

nah its too late, game is WOW in sheeps clothing now.

Some people like a challenge,  agame where dying means something.

SOE suck anyway, the smed is scum.

• mikenet707mikenet707 Member Posts: 65

EQ2 is far superior then most games still in graphics,play style,content, interest and definately much more then WOW. WOW has pvp under it's belt but that gets benign quickly unless repitition is all your brain can handle. Anyway, I am glad that EQ2 is revamping the tanks even though I had no problem with them before. Holding aggro is one job of a tank so making it more effective is ok in my book. Also I am glad they are merging other spells and abilities into the stances. I have a Monk so this is welcomed.

• smutsmut Member Posts: 250
    Originally posted by mikenet707

EQ2 is far superior then most games still in graphics,play style,content, interest and definately much more then WOW. WOW has pvp under it's belt but that gets benign quickly unless repitition is all your brain can handle. Anyway, I am glad that EQ2 is revamping the tanks even though I had no problem with them before. Holding aggro is one job of a tank so making it more effective is ok in my book. Also I am glad they are merging other spells and abilities into the stances. I have a Monk so this is welcomed.

And fighting the same AI mob over and over in EQ2, who does the same spells everytime, is NOT repititious?

I'll keep an eye on these changes. I do miss playing my SK and I saw they got a nice boost in the latest expansion. I can't really afford more then one MMO right now though.

• ste2000ste2000 Member EpicPosts: 6,194

It was about time.

No wonder there were no more tanks around, with DPS more keen on topping the DPS meter, tanks had a real hard job keeping aggro.

This will surely help people forming groups and with TSO will help the game to revert the game to a group focused game rather than the solo style game that has encouraged with RoK and its predecessor.

I am not sure if it will be enough to savage EQ2 though, because the biggest problem with SoE is not the quality of their games in itself, but the tendency of radically change the game play out of the blue.

Until SoE will garantee that it will stop behaving that way, I won't touch a SoE game.

But I have to admit that at least is refreshing they understood their mistakes and they are trying to do something  to address them.

Originally posted by scotczech

They best launch a classic server hahah, shards and group xp penalty? hurry!! haha

By "nerfed" you must have meant "improved" because EQ2 keeps getting better and better which this newest revamp will most likely demonstrate.

I'm still surprised that people try to compare EQ2 to WOW as they seem completely alien to each other imo. WOW is a cartoon-like kids version of EQ2. (or EQ1 even) If either were to be considered "child's play" it would be have to be WOW hands down.

"Game (EQ2) is WOW in sheeps clothing?" How do you even begin to justify that? You do realize EQ2 launched before WOW did right? EQ1 damn near invented the whole MMO market to begin with and WOW actually owes a lot of their success to that. WOW has had great success but it's just as much from it's being "child's play," low system requirements and mass advertising as it's actual gameplay.

SOE's biggest mistake with EQ2 so far has been thier lack of mass advertising. I highly suspect that had they focused more on celebrity TV adverts than improving the actual game it would be far more popular than it is now.

Overall I'd say if you WERE a fan of EQ2 in the past, try it out again if it's been a long time because a lot has changed with loads of new content and features to enjoy. 

Originally posted by brownbear

By "nerfed" you must have meant "improved" because EQ2 keeps getting better and better which this newest revamp will most likely demonstrate.

I'm still surprised that people try to compare EQ2 to WOW as they seem completely alien to each other imo. WOW is a cartoon-like kids version of EQ2. (or EQ1 even) If either were to be considered "child's play" it would be have to be WOW hands down.

"Game (EQ2) is WOW in sheeps clothing?" How do you even begin to justify that? You do realize EQ2 launched before WOW did right? EQ1 damn near invented the whole MMO market to begin with and WOW actually owes a lot of their success to that. WOW has had great success but it's just as much from it's being "child's play," low system requirements and mass advertising as it's actual gameplay.

SOE's biggest mistake with EQ2 so far has been thier lack of mass advertising. I highly suspect that had they focused more on celebrity TV adverts than improving the actual game it would be far more popular than it is now.

Overall I'd say if you WERE a fan of EQ2 in the past, try it out again if it's been a long time because a lot has changed with loads of new content and features to enjoy. 

By nerf I mean they have made it piss ass easy, and death means nothing.

Wow in sheeps clothing means , they want wows subs, so they dumb game down to wow playstyle.

I have played MMORPG's a long time, come back when you have.

"By nerf I mean they have made it piss ass easy, and death means nothing.

Wow in sheeps clothing means , they want wows subs, so they dumb game down to wow playstyle.

I have played MMORPG's a long time, come back when you have."

-"Piss ass easy?" Are you for real? When exactly WAS the last time you played EQ2? Have you tired any of the new TSO instances? Ever raided any of the ROK or later content?

If you love WOW so much, then go play and talk about WOW, this is a topic on EQ2 revamps.

I have also played MMO's for a very long time (1998-present) and have easily tried the majority of them out there and am constantly looking for new ones to play.

When you "assume" things about someone, you make an “ass” out of “U” and “Me.” 

/end 

"Piss ass easy?" Are you for real? When exactly WAS the last time you played EQ2? Have you tired any of the new TSO instances? Ever raided any of the ROK or later content?
    If you love WOW so much, then go play and talk about WOW, this is a topic on EQ2 revamps.
    I have also played MMO's for a very long time (1998-present) and have easily tried the majority of them out there and am constantly looking for new ones to play.

/end 

haha, I love WOW? how you work that out? you ever read before you post?

WOW is shit, eq2 is shit, eq2 is easy, TSO /yawn.

SOE wants subscriptions, their games appeal to you, you feel uber / skilled, fair enough.

IMHO EQ2 has no challenge, its same old shit over and over.

Games are becoming like WOW, i.e piss easy.

If you have played as long as you claim you will realise its true.

eq2 is a yawnfest

"Piss ass easy?" Are you for real? When exactly WAS the last time you played EQ2? Have you tired any of the new TSO instances? Ever raided any of the ROK or later content?

/end 

LOL oh really? Speechless I see.

• OzmodanOzmodan Member EpicPosts: 9,726

Hate meters?  Why not take all the mystery out of a fight?  Just another reason I won't play this game again.

• mikenet707mikenet707 Member Posts: 65

MMOs are suppose to be more then just killing mobs all day and leveling to the top and standing around in your Uber gear for hours. God I hope they are anyway. At least  EQ2 is trying to do more with their game. I am not saying it's perfect but more interesting then most.  I have played quite a few.

• SarykSaryk Member UncommonPosts: 476

/end 

SOE wants subscriptions, their games appeal to you, you feel uber / skilled, fair enough.

eq2 is a yawnfest

Most of what you say is true. The reason is they made MMOs a freaking solo game. People follow the path of least resistance and go solo mostly.

But I have to say that TSO is a lot harder than most content on any game.

But I would love to see a Left 4 Dead type off MMO. Where you have hundreds or thousands of enemies coming after a town or your group. And groups could be more than freaking 6 players. But oh well my wish will come true one day, probably after I am dead.

/end 

eq2 is a yawnfest

Well call me crazy but I guess I'm the type of person that likes to talk about the positive things in a game. Typically I'd rather spend my time playing them rather than running my mouth about them like some e-peen flexing know-it-all who claims everything is "too easy." Maybe you should try that sometime because you actually sound very ignorant on the subject of EQ2. (Which is the topic at hand.)

So if "EQ2 is shit, WOW is shit," and everything is so "piss easy" then what MMO's do you play, and what would you recommend? I'm always open to trying other games.