Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

palidan spec?

Currently i only have a little bit in retribution, nothing permanent. I think tanking would be cool and useful with protection, but i dont know if ill be able to afford the gear when i need it, if they work in raids and other things, and if tanking is to diffucult for me to do. some advice would help... thanks

Comments

• Cbdragon1Cbdragon1 Member Posts: 48

This is a bad forum for this kind of advice.  the discussion in this forum seems to center around wheather or not WoW has destroyed the MMO forever or if WoW has transended the genre of video games and become its own entertainment genre.

I would suggest checking the Paladin forums on the offical forums or reading the Paladin forums at Elitistjerks.com

My opinion is Paladin tanks are awesome and probably the easiest tank class to play.  Retribution is Overpowered and a lot of fun to play.

• nickman1993nickman1993 Member Posts: 287
    Originally posted by aWallll

Currently i only have a little bit in retribution, nothing permanent. I think tanking would be cool and useful with protection, but i dont know if ill be able to afford the gear when i need it, if they work in raids and other things, and if tanking is to diffucult for me to do. some advice would help... thanks

Well I personally disagree with the first replier of this post. I think posts like this could do some good for this site. Personally this is my break down of pallys for a trees and about tanking.

For Tanking/Prot tree- Pallies are great at 5man raids, they can easily take on trash mobs and hold aggro is extremely easier Due to AoE abilites) They do seem to have trouble with 25man raids when holding 1 monster. If you want to do more 25man raids might i recomend Warriors they are the kings when it come to 25man's. Dont go Druid because atm they are the worst tankers.

Best tankers in order *imo*

Paladin

Warrior

DK(frost)-Tied with warrior

Druid

For Healing- Healadins are great in PvP (BG's) They have FoL which is very mana effecient and they also have high spell crit chance *more then most healers imo* They also have HL for big heals. They having a way higher survivability then any other healer in the BG's. For the arena they are okay, one of the best teams ive heard has been a paladin and a warrior. But normally in 2v2 its gonna be a druid(healer) and *insert another high armored class here* The dont have any HoT's only druids and priests have those. (Excluding FoL glyph which makes it a HoT)(fyi that glyph sucks) That means when they are healing they are static and can not move. However if you go Holy I dont recommend doing it for leveling bec they cant do any dmg under holy  (compared to REt or prot) (unless you grind dungeons) However if you look at the healing charts a priest and a druid will almost always out heal a paladin however palys live longer and can do multiple stuns while having Bubble/LoH while still being able to do decent dmg at lvl 80. 

Best healers in order *imo*

PvP

Paladin

Druid

Priest

Shaman

PvE

Priest

Druids

Pallys-tied with druid

Shaman

For Ret- Retadins with recent patches have had buffs and also nerfs. Some people say that they have gotten nerfed to the ground *like dead is what they say* I disagree my brother tops DPS charts in 25mans and 5mans every time as a DPS ret pally. For leveling they are by far the best tree to go. They have high survivability and when your poperly geared you can dish out a lot of burst dmg very fast. When done right a Ret pally Can easily down 2 clothies and a DK/warrior no problem (might have to use bubble or LoH) 

Thats pretty much the run down of the pally in a very simple way for all the tree's.

P.S. I have a Holy pally I've Had experience in Tanking, and have learned a lot from my brother as a Ret Paladin (He's top Ret paladin on Alexstraza)

• QilinQilin Member Posts: 18

I will be honest with this subject. Paladins are incredibly nerfed and generally you have three options: Arena, PvE and Reroll. About PvE, choices are tanking, DPS ing and healing. People like tanks and you can get gear easily. Healing is an option too but I wouldn't make a pally healer myself. DPS PvE pally sucks IMHO. Arena is a quite good place for paladins. Who wouldnt want a multifunctional supportive class?(except the ones with druids) In PvP like I said "incredibly nerfed". No snare, no bleed ---> Limited PvP action. Ofc you can own some nabs but dont get much into it. Rerolling is a common option. Creating a level 55 DK sounds cool but I think that's kinda nonsense because of the massive popularity of DKs.

So choice is yours, in fact paladins are fun to play, choose what you gonna have fun with.

regards

• XasapisXasapis Member RarePosts: 6,337

Paladin DPS tree is the most popular at the moment. Where do people come up with these notions about paladins not good for DPS and nerfed? Second best is tanking tree. Last and usually only for arena is healing one.

Originally posted by Xasapis

Paladin DPS tree is the most popular at the moment. Where do people come up with these notions about paladins not good for DPS and nerfed? Second best is tanking tree. Last and usually only for arena is healing one.

I couldn't understand what you meant there but DPS outputs and PvP abilities have different values. About DPS output, there are more useful classes, well noone's going to stop you, but I think tankadins are superior to retris in PvE.

You hit someone to death and he tries to run away with a little hp? What you gonna do? Maybe repentance, but you can't rely on one skill to prevent your opponents from running all the time. A melee class should have bleed and snare effects, which paladins dont have.

I dont think it's a notion, it's a common fact IMO. If you show proofs I will be glad. Even paladins themselves agree that they are nerfed.

Retadins still frequent the top 5 in 25-man runs. And that's after the adjustment of the class prior to the expansion. In fact, now that hunters have been toned down a bit, they frequent the top 3 even more (depending on boss fights of course).

Last changes are kinda weird, and I can say I haven't seen any paladins in Top 5 at WWS. I really mean it. Ofc it can change with imba gear , but thats not a good logic.

Damage scaling with gear is not an unusual concept. In fact, that's the main reason hunters were toned down in the latest patch. It was really obvious that they were scaling way too good with better gear.

Originally posted by Xasapis

Damage scaling with gear is not an unusual concept.

I totally disagree this. A guy with blue items and a guy fully Naxx geared are in different conditions.

Last changes are dependable. At the moment rogues suck at PvE, and Blizzard confirmed this but they can't make a change because of the imbaness of PvP. Except trash ofc, FoK is pretty ownage there. It's pretty early to decide, just  pick what spec you have fun with.

How can you disagree and then you confirm what I'm talking about? Am I missing something?

In any case, I don't think I contribute much towards the OP so I'll stop our little argument here.

Edit:

Here is a link to a forum with probably one of the best WoW theorycrafting community. Link directs you to retadins, but you can move up and check all forums:

elitistjerks.com/f76/t37843-retribution_paladin_thread_wrath_3_0_a/

Am I missing something? I just told that last changes were dependable and  that you shouldn't compare people with different gear because of their conditions. whatsoever...

peace

• killer1337killer1337 Member Posts: 19
    Originally posted by nickman1993

Originally posted by aWallll

Well I personally disagree with the first replier of this post. I think posts like this could do some good for this site. Personally this is my break down of pallys for a trees and about tanking.

For Tanking/Prot tree- Pallies are great at 5man raids, they can easily take on trash mobs and hold aggro is extremely easier Due to AoE abilites) They do seem to have trouble with 25man raids when holding 1 monster. If you want to do more 25man raids might i recomend Warriors they are the kings when it come to 25man's. Dont go Druid because atm they are the worst tankers.

Best tankers in order *imo*

Paladin

Warrior

DK(frost)-Tied with warrior

Druid

This order is incorrect, paladins are the most popular tanks for instances, but not for raids. Mainly because there the only tank that can mutli aggro easily. In raids paladins are usuallys choosed over by all the other tanks, because the other tanks focus better on one target than pallys. It stil doesnt matter that much ,cause most guilds like to a tank of each class.

For Healing- Healadins are great in PvP (BG's) They have FoL which is very mana effecient and they also have high spell crit chance *more then most healers imo* They also have HL for big heals. They having a way higher survivability then any other healer in the BG's. For the arena they are okay, one of the best teams ive heard has been a paladin and a warrior. But normally in 2v2 its gonna be a druid(healer) and *insert another high armored class here* The dont have any HoT's only druids and priests have those. (Excluding FoL glyph which makes it a HoT)(fyi that glyph sucks) That means when they are healing they are static and can not move. However if you go Holy I dont recommend doing it for leveling bec they cant do any dmg under holy  (compared to REt or prot) (unless you grind dungeons) However if you look at the healing charts a priest and a druid will almost always out heal a paladin however palys live longer and can do multiple stuns while having Bubble/LoH while still being able to do decent dmg at lvl 80. 

Best healers in order *imo*

PvP

Paladin

Druid

Priest

Shaman

this order is only for bgs.

2v2 

druid

priest

shaman

paladin

3v3

pretty much the same as 2v2

5v5

shaman

paladin

druid

priest

PvE

Priest

Druids

Pallys-tied with druid

Shaman

Many people seem to think shamans are bad healers, which totally untrue. Because of chain heal it makes them a popular choice for raids, and mana tide totem, allows the shaman, and any other to almost never go oom in a raid.

For Ret- Retadins with recent patches have had buffs and also nerfs. Some people say that they have gotten nerfed to the ground *like dead is what they say* I disagree my brother tops DPS charts in 25mans and 5mans every time as a DPS ret pally. For leveling they are by far the best tree to go. They have high survivability and when your poperly geared you can dish out a lot of burst dmg very fast. When done right a Ret pally Can easily down 2 clothies and a DK/warrior no problem (might have to use bubble or LoH) 

Any good clothie should be able to beat ret pallys especially a mage, speced right

Thats pretty much the run down of the pally in a very simple way for all the tree's.

P.S. I have a Holy pally I've Had experience in Tanking, and have learned a lot from my brother as a Ret Paladin (He's top Ret paladin on Alexstraza)

playing: Guild wars and WoW
    waiting for: GW2
    played: runescape, maplestory, eudemonsonline, Atlantica, conquer online, diablo2, dungeon runners, and flyff.