Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

WoW going down thanks to the economy

Its not really WoW thats going down but I read in a  newspaper that the Internet is laying off 50% of its staff and that will effect everyone !

Comments

• SioBabbleSioBabble Member Posts: 2,803
    Originally posted by SmurfMagic

Its not really WoW thats going down but I read in a  newspaper that the Internet is laying off 50% of its staff and that will effect everyone !

The dinosaurs (print media) are hoping against hope that this recession will save them.

The joke's on them:  the recession is their coup de grace.

CH, Jedi, Commando, Smuggler, BH, Scout, Doctor, Chef, BE...yeah, lots of SWG time invested.

Once a denizen of Ahazi

• DkevlarDkevlar Member Posts: 308

wow is actually going up, but it is true that sectors related to the media, e-commerce and e-services is laying off people .

• XasapisXasapis Member RarePosts: 6,337

Just one more disappointing thread. Wishful thinking from the OP presented as facts in the threat title.

I hope people realise at some point that it's more productive to put your love into the things you like, instead of your hate into the things you dislike. At least in the former situation you have something to look forward to, in the later you're only left with hate and bitterness. Over a computer game. Reality check anyone?

• floppyfacefloppyface Member Posts: 97
    Originally posted by Dkevlar

wow is actually going up, but it is true that sectors related to the media, e-commerce and e-services is laying off people .

Total numbers are going up and will continue to do so until Arthas is a killable boss.

But while overall numbers are going up we are seeing the main increases in Asia and especially China where a player who plays a couple hours a month and pays a few cents counts the same as a Europe/North America player who pays a flat $14.95 a month.

Anyone got the breakdown of Europe, Asia and North American figures?

Some players will cancel their subscriptions to pay bills. Some players will start to play or re-sub because they can't afford to go clubbing/drinking every Friday and Saturday.

So I'm guessing that recession will have a marginal overall effect on the game and since we haven't had a big worldwide recession since 91-92 no one knows how the recession will affect mmog's.

But I just can't see how a massive recession would result in a massive boost to WoW.

• KhrymsonKhrymson Member UncommonPosts: 3,090

If anything, WoW is going to be going way up in subscriptions thanks to the economy...hundreds of thousands of layoffs, tons of businesses are closing their doors or merging with larger corporations.  More people will be home and with greatly reduced income there won't be any going out all the time and spending tons of cash on entertainment. 

Instead, they'll be staying at home and playing cheap $14.99 a month; unlimited entertainment!

• TorginTorgin Member Posts: 82
    Originally posted by floppyface

But I just can't see how a massive recession would result in a massive boost to WoW.

I can. MMOs are a huge value. Potentially 100+ hours of entertainment a month for a mere 12-16 bucks. Compare that to the cost of buying a DVD, going to the movie theater, or even getting the medium-tier of cable/satellite - the value is incredible.

Of course, swallowing that $50 initial cost for new MMOs.. well, that might be a problem...

• googajoob7googajoob7 Member Posts: 866

of course mmos are good value but what you forget is theres broadband bills / phone bills and alsorts on top of it  . also theres usually more than one person in a family playing the game so it becomes more expensive for those types of family based players . if  dad loses his job he wont be paying 36 bucks for his three kids to play wow . less people will buy gold from the gold sellers so there will be less gold sellers so less accounts . even if you put the game issues aside and how bad wows endgame is at present ( pvp wise ) there is bound to be substantual loses in the coming year or two . only the most nieve and foolish would forcast growth at such a time . i d say well see a fall in wows  subs of around 10-20  percent in the coming year . which is pretty much in line with other companys loses ,

at least you can be sure of one thing wow will be around for years to come and will weather the recession . i cant say as much for most of the other games . but sure as eggs are eggs there will be a substantual decline in the 2009 2010 period .

• RaiizenRaiizen Member Posts: 177

the internet overloaded

• Bob_BlawblawBob_Blawblaw Member Posts: 1,278

Then who will fix it when it gets broked?!

Originally posted by Khrymson

If anything, WoW is going to be going way up in subscriptions thanks to the economy...hundreds of thousands of layoffs, tons of businesses are closing their doors or merging with larger corporations.  More people will be home and with greatly reduced income there won't be any going out all the time and spending tons of cash on entertainment. 

Instead, they'll be staying at home and playing cheap $14.99 a month; unlimited entertainment!

$14.99 a month is not cheap when you have no job, have rent, electricity, gas, car etc bills to pay.

I know a lot of older players with mortgages, car loans and the like to pay. Condsidering theres the original WoW, BC and WotLK, when you factor in the montly fee you're looking at $200 a year to play. When you have no job and the world is in a deep recession that is a lot of money. Can you justify that $30 game card when your phone bill hasn't been paid for 2 months?

And dont forget that a new player has to buy WoW, BC and WotLK before he starts playing. Sure, he doesn't have to buy the expansions straight away but most people who level to lvl 60 will continue on.

Where the recession will hurt WoW is not so much in the existing subscribers but it will make it harder to get new subscribers. People aren't willing to fork out $60 + $15 a month with no job and deep in debt.

And Blizzard is going to have a HUGE increase in the amount of defaults on credit card payments. The amount of accounts frozen due to non-payment will surely sky rocket.

• ZebladeZeblade Member UncommonPosts: 931

in other words the OP got canned..

Originally posted by Torgin

I can. MMOs are a huge value. Potentially 100+ hours of entertainment a month for a mere 12-16 bucks. Compare that to the cost of buying a DVD, going to the movie theater, or even getting the medium-tier of cable/satellite - the value is incredible.

Of course, swallowing that $50 initial cost for new MMOs.. well, that might be a problem...

Compare that to the cost of watching free-to-air TV which costs $0.000000. With HD available people have a lot more free to air choices.

Your argument that because people will stop buying DVD's and going to the movies that they will definitely play mmorpg's instead is a specious one. $15 is fifteen dollars. It is a luxury regardless of how efficient it is. Luxuries are luxuries and luxuries go in times of recession.

• popinjaypopinjay Member Posts: 6,539

Exactly. No matter how bad things get, most people will always have enough money for three things:

1. Beer

2. Cigarettes

3. Entertainment.

Food and rent be dammed. :)

• AlienShirtAlienShirt Member UncommonPosts: 621

Say what? The Google and the Internets are laying off 50% of its workforce? We are all doomed I say! DOOMED!

$14.99 a month is not cheap when you have no job, have rent, electricity, gas, car etc bills to pay.
    I know a lot of older players with mortgages, car loans and the like to pay. Condsidering theres the original WoW, BC and WotLK, when you factor in the montly fee you're looking at $200 a year to play. When you have no job and the world is in a deep recession that is a lot of money. Can you justify that $30 game card when your phone bill hasn't been paid for 2 months?

I can speak accurately on this subject because I recently lost my job. $14.99 a month IS cheap. I used to spend roughly ten dollars every day eating out - that had to stop, because it was $280+ a month. I had to drop down to the basic cable tier because $150 a month for TV was too much. I can no longer spend $400+ month on groceries, so I really watch what I buy. I don't go to the movies anymore, and I've had to put off purchasing a season pass to the local amusement park because the $99 it costs will work better elsewhere. And driving.. I was spending $125 a month to drive around - now I've cut that down to about half (good thing I don't have an SUV).

When I look at monthly expenses, $14.95 a month is nothing. MMOs and the public library are my new best friends. :)

Btw, if you don't pay your phone bill for more than two months, they cut it off.

• el_muerteel_muerte Member Posts: 191

I read in a newspaper that terrorists were planning to blow up the Internet with a bomb.

• googajoob7googajoob7 Member Posts: 866
    Originally posted by popinjay

Exactly. No matter how bad things get, most people will always have enough money for three things:

1. Beer

2. Cigarettes

3. Entertainment.

lol is nt that the attitude that got the world into this mess in the first place . the last time things were this bad people starved and it led us all to a world war . think we ll all be coming down to the real world with a bump soon .

• Bob_BlawblawBob_Blawblaw Member Posts: 1,278
    Originally posted by el_muerte

I read in a newspaper that terrorists were planning to blow up the Internet with a bomb.

I heard that a viscious corporation called Encon is using a program called the MCP (Master Control Program) to control the world via cyberspace. Luckily, a hacker named Flynn has been digitized and along with a rogue security program named Tron, have been orchestrating the MCPs defeat from the inside.

Phew!

Originally posted by googajoob7

Originally posted by popinjay

1. Beer

2. Cigarettes

3. Entertainment.

lol is nt that the attitude that got the world into this mess in the first place . the last time things were this bad people starved and it led us all to a world war . think we ll all be coming down to the real world with a bump soon .

things were never this bad. And that is the scary part. the 1929 crisis was, in many aspects, a production originated crisis that afflicted the financial area. In a way the 1929 crisis only  reached the masses with the crash.

The current one has nothing to do with production, it started on the financial,  what makes it really hard to solve since none of the economical  orthodoxy gives a real clue on how to deal with all this mess. Unlike the 1929 situation, that burst to the public, the current one has been building up momentum for considerable time. And the financial bubble was not yet really blow, what, personally, scares the living shxt out of me.

Ressurecting and Recycling keynes ideas in a way they fit present situation has more to do with wishful thinking and imediate damage control (what was and is needed ) than with really fixing all this mess. 

Over the next years we all have to rethink our current standards of living, because they are going down the drain fast. I wouldn't be surprised if in 2-3  years, at the current rate things are going, the idea of "No matter how bad things get, most people will always have enough money for three things:1. Beer,2. Cigarettes,3. Entertainment." will have changed. 

There will be a lot of dry troaths, much less lung cancer and the entertainment industry will be struggling. And most of us will be a lot thiner also.

edited.

• IcoGamesIcoGames Member Posts: 2,360
    Originally posted by zymurgeist

The internet has staff?

Al Gore and George Bush.

Ico
    Oh, cruel fate, to be thusly boned. Ask not for whom the bone bones. It bones for thee.

things were never this bad. And that is the scary part. the 1929 crysis was, in many aspects, a production originated crysis that afflicted the financial area. In a way the 1929 crysis only  reached the masses with the crash.

For the record: unless you are writing about the video game, the word you are looking for is spelled C-R-I-S-I-S. Chalk another point up for video games destroying our language...

• TeranHawkinsTeranHawkins Member Posts: 279
    Originally posted by zymurgeist

The internet has staff?

/LMFAO!!!!!!!!!!!!

things were never this bad. And that is the scary part. the 1929 crysis was, in many aspects, a production originated crysis that afflicted the financial area. In a way the 1929 crysis only  reached the masses with the crash.

For the record: unless you are writing about the video game, the word you are looking for is spelled C-R-I-S-I-S. Chalk another point up for video games destroying our language...

english is my like my third language. native is, portuguese, fluent in french.and then it is a matchup between english, german and dutch. Overall , IMO, not that bad for a 3th order language. But you are right and i'll correct it asap.

I can speak accurately on this subject because I recently lost my job. $14.99 a month IS cheap. I used to spend roughly ten dollars every day eating out - that had to stop, because it was $280+ a month. I had to drop down to the basic cable tier because $150 a month for TV was too much. I can no longer spend $400+ month on groceries, so I really watch what I buy. I don't go to the movies anymore, and I've had to put off purchasing a season pass to the local amusement park because the $99 it costs will work better elsewhere. And driving.. I was spending $125 a month to drive around - now I've cut that down to about half (good thing I don't have an SUV).

When I look at monthly expenses, $14.95 a month is nothing. MMOs and the public library are my new best friends. :)

Btw, if you don't pay your phone bill for more than two months, they cut it off.

Sorry, I didnt realise you had been appointed the official spokesperson on "People who have been laid off and how they spend their money". I'd rather go see 1 movie with friends a month than spend it on WoW or any mmorpg. Thats just me. And considering WoW is all about the casuals these day, how many of these casuals would be so dedicated to WoW that they will go without other luxuries? I can guarantee you that the casual players will be more likely to give up WoW than the hardcore players. 2 years ago I would make sure regardless of my situation that I would have enough for WoW - even if that meant only being able to afford 2 pairs of underpants for the week.

The other day I was on vent talking to some old guildies. I was talking to a couple I used to raid with awhile back. That means they have 2 accounts. That means $30 a month and when you factor in expansions it averages out to $400 a year. They have a young kid (he was usually in bed when raids started), a mortgage and a car loan. She only works 1-2 days a week. She made the comment to me that there was little chance of her husband losing his job but if he did WoW would be one of the first things to go.