Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

This is why I quit SWG

Quick backstory ....

Did the free trial, liked the game, signed up and played for 3 months.

I started out doing missions, doing destroy missions on creatures and peoples, and got some xp as marksman. my initial goal was to be a bounty hunter. So that was rolling along merrily, gainig xp, getting some cash, getting peices of armor here and there.

Then I tried crafting for fun, going on mission after mission got a bit boring. Crafting was fun, dabbled in most of the professions before focusing on tailor.

After a long grind, I played casual not 12 hours a day, even that got repetitive.  Although I did make a nice chunk of change.

So, I tried a themepark mission, and decided to get into jabbas. That started fun, like SWG in general, things started out fun, but turned into a series of repetitive chores.

Then I decided to retire, and move on. I didn't hate the game, just not much fun. Here's a list of things that made the game not for me.

1) Main reason for leaving. The galactic civil war, non-existent. I did imperial missions to gain some faction points, so I could get some stormtrooper armor. Well, fighting these rebels didn't make a difference in a civil war, they wer ejust spawned dynamic enemies, who happen to give FPs. And, funny thing, when I bought a stormtrooper to be my pet and help out, in an imperial city, 7 seconds after going overt, I was gunned down by a pack of rebels...in an imperial city! I mean, dying didn't matter (more on that later) but rebels should be hiding out, not running and gunning, especially in a imperial controled and patroled area. This game should have focused on the GCW, due to the time frame the game is based on. But, in reality there was is war.

2) death - I want my mmorpgs to have permadeath. you care about your character a lot more when there is something at stake. Now, they way they could have done it - no NPC with kill you. they can knock you down into unconciousness, but to dead body someone, only other players. In this case, meaning someone on the opposite faction.

3) The mulitplayer aspect was weird, best way to describe it. I went out hunting, got beat up, required healing...went into town, went to medical center. Now, there were a number of medics there healing. You'd think, hey, I'll get healed right up and off I go. Not true...because the medics were healing tumblers, to get XP these tumblers would pay the medics. Just insane. which leads me to the next items

4) professions. A doctor can buff a person stats to make them super tough. So, if thats the case, why wouldn't luke and the boys buff, walk into death star, plant some bombs, and walk out. Buffing was just plain stupid. They could of used drugs and little buffs, but LITTLE buffs.

5) Composite armor. Everyone and there pets had this stuff. I saw more comp armor then stormtrooper armor. It looked the coolest, was the toughest and it seemed everyone owned a set. the other armor, didn't look so nice, and wasn't so good. Look at the movies, most people wore clothes. people looked unique. The character creation was some indepth, for the faces and hair and whatnot. Yet you never saw most peoples faces.

6) the economy. Luke, in ep4. 'we could buy our own ship for that price' making reference to the 10k, Han was going to charge him. Well, I was seeling pants for 6k. I had to, prices were totally insane! missions gave way to much payouts, and there were too many millionaires!

Just some points that made the game not much fun

Comments

• logarlogar Member Posts: 15

"because the medics were healing tumblers, to get XP these tumblers would pay the medics. Just insane. which leads me to the next items"

lol

wtf were you on when you wrote that little bit?

• HarafnirHarafnir Member UncommonPosts: 1,350

Master Doc, never payed a tumbler.. Always a tumbler somewhere, just used them when I saw them.

But main reason I stopped playing was I played JTL beta and itwas nothing to wait for.. and I constantly fell asleep by the keyboard. I am sorry, a game has a flaw if it puts its players to sleep. So I play EQ II instead. I do not like it, too simple, but at least it keeps me awake. Good enough.

Only game I wait for right now: Imperator.
    Go Mythic!

"This is not a game to be tossed aside lightly.
    It should be thrown with great force"

• jck87jck87 Member UncommonPosts: 54

The galactic civilwar could be much better. I dont think rebels should be hiding out but in my 14-day trial i became almost everything including rebel. So i became a rebel muscisian in an emperial town. I wasnt even shot once in the week i played there. I recieved one threat that is all. Of course i didnt mind this.imageBut there should be fronts where rebels and imperials are actually fighting against each other. It still is a great game however.

As for the doctors when you go into a populated town there usually is a doctor who will heal you and you can go on with what you where doing. Once i even got my own kit to heal myself and my pet with this kit was enough for more then 14 days. So the doctors are doing a good job without payment.image

• PuoltryPuoltry Member Posts: 956

Yeah well ya cant have everything NOW.Sometimes you just need to be patient.Ive always felt ANY mmo is a beta test in the works.
    Ive played several mmo's and this is the 1st one that just isnt dull to me.Then again i HATE fantasy based games.
    Most mmo's take a year or so after launch to really get to the point where the general public feels its a decent game to stick with.

SWG is finally reaching that point.But hey to each his own.I can tell you though that it has more vision than most games out atm.If all you want is to go on a dungeon crawl than have at it with EQ2.But with no PvP i just dont see the point.

Want to ENJOY an mmo?

Dont start a guild and dont be a leader or volunteer to be coleader or captain.

Just play the damn game:)

• JohnarkJohnark Member Posts: 901

Originally posted by Puoltry

SWG is finally reaching that point.But hey to each his own.I can tell you though that it has more vision than most games out atm.If all you want is to go on a dungeon crawl than have at it with EQ2.But with no PvP i just dont see the point.

Umm... SWG is what... 1 1/2 years old?  And it's already at the point where so many players have done "everything they can" in the game?  Where most of the population are millionaires?  Where PVP winners are determined with whom can make the best Master Brawler/Master Fencer/Master Swordsman profession with the capped Skill Tape bonuses?

To think that I quit one server to join another server to play with my friends.  To think that on that new server, within 2 months I got all POI Badges, all Theme Park Badges, all Race Track Badges, Completed the Warren, collected all Stormtrooper Armor, got up to 9000 Imp Faction (Was saving up for an ATST), got the Marauder Armor, had a nice pyramid of Force Crystals, completed the Orange Rug, Blue Rug and Gong loot kits (Yes I looted 3 adhesives) ... all within 2 months.

It's proof this game lacks content.  Unfortunatly I quit 2 weeks before JTL came out, so I dunno how much more content JTL has to offer.  Not that I care since I'm playing Dark Age of Camelot now.  But for a player that manages to do 75% of what the core game has to offer, can JTL really make me come back to SWG?  Nope... never...

____ _ ____________ _ ____

*** BOYCOTT BEGGARS ***
    Don't tip newbies when they ask for money! They are veteran players trying to get easy money for their newly created characters. Please support the BOYCOTT BEGGARS ASSOCIATION by donating some money or free rare loots. Thank you for your support.

___________ ___ __ _ _ _
    Stealth - Ambush - Hemorrhage - Sinister Strike x2 - Cold Blood - Eviscerate - Vanish - Preparation - Cold Blood - Ambush - ... you're dead! :P

• GrimReapezGrimReapez Member Posts: 463

Main reason for leaving. The galactic civil war, non-existent.

That is very hard to believe. I play on Bria and everywhere I go there are rebels fighting imperials and imperials fighting rebels. I have even been in town raids, destroyed player cities and much more. I have taken down At-St's and At-At's along with lots of Storm troopers. So maybe next time you should open your eyes up a bit more.

7 seconds after going overt, I was gunned down by a pack of rebels...in an imperial city! I mean, dying didn't matter (more on that later) but rebels should be hiding out, not running and gunning, especially in a imperial controled and patroled area.

Didn't you just say before you wanted GCW? farout man please make up your mind.

I want my mmorpgs to have permadeath.

Really, thats great. Just make your own and call us when your done.
    If MMOPRG's have permadeath then what is the point of playing when you know your going to get killed by a jedi and have to restart all over again?. And if your talking about incapacitation then just incapacitate them 3 times and they die. Or just go up to them and deathblow, its quite simple.

Not true...because the medics were healing tumblers.

/say Could someone please heal me!, simple.

Buffing was just plain stupid.

Why? because you couldnt afford them? or maybe was it because even with buffs you got pwned because you couldn't handle yourself as an overt?.

Composite armor. Everyone and there pets had this stuff.

Welcome to computer games. And if I remember correctly pets can't wear composite armor.

I had to, prices were totally insane! missions gave way to much payouts, and there were too many millionaires!

Are you jelious? lol. I know many MMORPG's that have millionares on them, is that a crime?.

Just some points that made the game not much fun.

Your just another noob who likes to cry about games that are too complicated.

According to some you may call me, "A little Hairy Man In A Dress"

Name: Jengu-Fet
    Server: Bria
    Profession: Master Pikeman

-
    Do not hate it, but instead embrace the diversity.

Ya know if your done with SWG after 2 months you have only yourself to blame.If your playing for 6 hours a day OF COURSE your going to be done with it .

But you can say that for any mmo on the market.

I play for maybe 2 hours a day and i can honestly say that i could care less about content it does not interest me whatsoever.I do what i want my character to achieve/do.

What i get tired of hearing is "no content'. Why on earth you cant find something else to do other than what the developers provide i dont know.What is SWG one big theme park and thats it?I find plenty of things to do besides going into dungeons.Frinstance im busy upping my jabba and hutt factions with the hope that one day (hopefully next expansion) i can use this to my advantage as another overt faction.

If your taking that approach then you may as well play an offline game.Persistent worlds are always changing. I choose to actually play a role in mmo's, you know the ROLEPLAY part of mmorpg?

I could really care less about being "uber"as i take the approach of being part of the community.To me thats part of the game as well.

I truly beleive that any mmo is what the player makes it.If you rely soley on the developers to provide your "content" then your missing out on half of the game.

As far as DAOC goes have at it but ill tell ya that that community isnt as happy as everyone thinks either.They apparently feel that the original vision of the game (PvP) is shrinking as its PvE is increasing.Anyway played that hated it so like i said before to each his own.

I still see a lot of people playing SWG on a daily basis.But from what the people who left post you get the impression that it has failed.Far from it it is BETTER than it was at launch and will continue to get better as it is developed.

Want to ENJOY an mmo?

• JohnarkJohnark Member Posts: 901

Ya know if your done with SWG after 2 months you have only yourself to blame.If your playing for 6 hours a day OF COURSE your going to be done with it .
    I work for a computer store full time.  Monday to Friday I come back home at 6PM, I eat supper, relax, by 8-9PM I play until midnight.  3-4 hours per day during the week.  On weekends, mainly on saturdays, I've done 8 hour straight SWGs... not very healthy, which is why in the last few months of playing SWG I slowed down.
    What i get tired of hearing is "no content'. Why on earth you cant find something else to do other than what the developers provide i dont know.What is SWG one big theme park and thats it?I find plenty of things to do besides going into dungeons.Frinstance im busy upping my jabba and hutt factions with the hope that one day (hopefully next expansion) i can use this to my advantage as another overt faction.
    Look, for months and months, I think I've completed the Jabba's Theme park at least 8 times out of my 10 characters.  Well, completed maybe 5-6 times, and completed until the NPC that gives the Twi'lek Painting.  Rebel Theme Park I remember doing twice, and Imperial Theme Park I did 3 times.  The Warren I only did once with my last character (Which was my Jedi quest char).  The Corvette I only did with my TKM+Master Doc character.  As time went by, it was hard forming a group to go into the corvette since you always needed a doctor, and there was never any docs available to help.
    If you still haven't done Jabba's theme park, you're too new to this game.  Any veteran has at least completed it once... I just said I completed it 5-6 times, and attempted to get the Twi'lek painting 4-5 times mainly cause my goal was to at least once, get the Large Twi'lek Painting (Which I've finally gotten with my last character, the Jedi quest one)
    If your taking that approach then you may as well play an offline game.Persistent worlds are always changing. I choose to actually play a role in mmo's, you know the ROLEPLAY part of mmorpg?
    That would of been a possibility, until *ALL* my veteran friends ended up quitting SWG.  The new friends I made were all grinders, krayt hunters and loot hunters.  Roleplayers were a dying breed, so let's give that up, shall we?
    I could really care less about being "uber"as i take the approach of being part of the community.To me thats part of the game as well.
    I coudln't care less about being Uber either.  I could of easily given up Master Rifleman in my Master Rifleman+Master Fencer+4/0/4/0 Medic template... but I didn't, it was great for hunting Nightsisters and all general creatures, so I kept it.  If I went Master Brawler+Master Swords+Master Fencer then I would of PNWNED in PVP, which I hate since PVP sucks now because the winner is always determined by "Who KD's who first, and who can mind hit who the fastest and the most".  Any profession that can only Health or Action hit, such as Fencer, TKA and Carbineer, suck in PVP.  And every other profession that have a Mind Hit attack will be the ONLY useful special attack in PVP, which sucks because there's so many different kinds of attacks, and everyone, and I do repeat EVERYONE (not even 1%... 100% of PVPers) use either a Dizzy+Knock Down+Mind Hit combo *OR* Dizzy+Lunge+Mind Hit Combo.
    If you aren't UBER, then you're nothing more than a creature hunter.  If you are UBER, then you're a creature hunter + PVPer.  I personally didn't mind the creature hunting.  It's the Jedi system that made me quit, but let's not get into that right now
    Itruly beleive that any mmo is what the player makes it.If you rely soley on the developers to provide your "content" then your missing out on half of the game.
    Then fine, the game was lacking content months ago, that didn't stop me.  There was stuff to do, such as grinding a Jedi.  Doing the Aurilian quests was fun, until Phase 3 and Phase 4.  For any combat profession, Phase 3 was hell, it was buggy, the Pirate Lieutenant disapeared twice on us.  That made me quit SWG all together.  And besides, I read what Phase 4 was about, so many people were complaining Phase 4 will suck too because the point is the camp the Aurilian Village and wait for Sith Pirates to attack, and you gotta kill 50 Sith Pirates and another 40 of another type of Sith Pirates.  Gonna be so impossible, the casual 2-3 hour player such as myself will have to struggle against all the no-life players that have been camping the Village since the game maintenance. Totally not fair, it will be impossible for the casual gamer to kill 90 Sith Pirates to unlock 2 branches.  Thus delaying my Jedi unlocking by 2-3 months.  No... it's not gonna take me 8-9 months instead of 6 months to unlock my Jedi.  Hell no... I was able to reach 3/0/0/4 Combat Prowess in 2 months, which proves I can finish 1 branch per month, and since I cannot unlock 3 branches due to the stupid Phase 3 and 4, I'm not delaying 2-3 months of extra branch unlockings... I quit SWG on that day.
    As far as DAOC goes have at it but ill tell ya that that community isnt as happy as everyone thinks either.They apparently feel that the original vision of the game (PvP) is shrinking as its PvE is increasing.Anyway played that hated it so like i said before to each his own.
    Yeah well, after a week of playing, I've managed to see a decent portion of the game, spoke to lots of different people.  I don't see people walking around all over the place bitching and whinning about how the game sucks, is unbalanced, how a certain template is PWNING all other templates, how the game lacks content.  For months and months and months in SWG, every solo-group I joined, almost every day around Coronet and the Mining Outpost on DAntooine, all I hear is whinning, bitching, people complaining.  And when you hear and read this every day while playing a game I was forcing myself to keep liking, you end up not liking it and realizing due to the majority that the game does suck.
    I still see a lot of people playing SWG on a daily basis.But from what the people who left post you get the impression that it has failed.Far from it it is BETTER than it was at launch and will continue to get better as it is developed.
    Well one thing I must agree is the fact there are new players coming in SWG every day.  But you also have to agree they are kids.  Their teenager friends tell them how "easy" SWG is compared to other MMORPGs, which is why they join.  All I can say is that a lot of guilds I've joined, the veteran leaders and members of those guilds quit SWG months ago.  Heck my 4 colleagues at work quit in September, I was still the last one remaining and I quit 2 weeks ago.  So many veterans are quitting, and I was tired of hanging around newbies and teenagers.
    SWG will maybe get better... but when you're a veteran player and you've been waiting 4 MONTHS for the game to get better because all SOE had on their mind was Jump to lightspeed... I lost faith.  Sorry but I lost faith.
    My Novice Smuggler character I gave up cause the only future a Smuggler has is slicing.
    My Bio-Engineer character I gave up too because the only income was by selling modules to bio-enhance clothing.  All bio-pets were useless since no one needed pets anymore.
    My Master Bounty Hunter, which I ended up making into a 4/0/4/0 BH+Master Pistoleer since I was bored hunting Jedi, I didn't want to give up my Tracking tree since that took 3 months to achieve, and I got Master Pistoleer to PVP, but I couldn't beat the uber templates.  So I gave up.
    My Master Tailor+Master Image Designer was boring to play too.  It was fun at first to make clothes even if I didn't make much money.  But as more and more customers were asses, always picky, they weren't happy with the colors, bla bla bla, it was more stressful than fun.  Gave it up.
    My Master Dancer+Master Musician+Master Entertainer character was my social char.  Thing is... I realized I could of just been social with any characters since in the end, I didn't make any income, people went to buff bots to get buffed instead.  Gave it up.
    My Teras Kasi Master+Master Doctor was nothing more than a money making machine.  When I stopped playing him 5 months ago, I had about 10 million credits in bank.  When I played him again in September, I was charging 15k for only a +2200 buff, I made about 5million credits in 1 week.  If I kept on going, I would of been too rich.  Becoming a millionaire without a challenge is kinda boring.
    And last but not last, my Master Rifleman+Master Fencer+4/0/4/0 Medic+1/0/0/0 Scout+3/0/0/4 Combat Prowess Character.  My favorite one, it only took me 2 months to complete this template, get all badges, to become glowly, and to become 3/0/0/4 Combat Prowess by doing the Jedi quest.  With this character I can solo pretty much any Nightsister except Protectors and Elders, but that didn't stop me from soloing an Elder anyways, I would concealshot an Elder for 15 minutes and kill them! Same went for killing Deathwatch Pirates and Super Battledroids.  I would prone 45m away from them, then activate my macro which would loop /consealshot.  Do that for 10-15 minutes and boom, they drop dead.    But other than that, like I explained above, I quit because Phase 3 was bugged, and Phase 4 would be too much of a hassle.  Which would delay my Jedi quests by 2-3 months.  I didn't want that, and I felt I've done everything this game has to offer except being a Jedi... so Runa Bianca on Sunrunner was my last character until I quit SWG.

*** BOYCOTT BEGGARS ***
    Don't tip newbies when they ask for money! They are veteran players trying to get easy money for their newly created characters. Please support the BOYCOTT BEGGARS ASSOCIATION by donating some money or free rare loots. Thank you for your support.

___________ ___ __ _ _ _
    Stealth - Ambush - Hemorrhage - Sinister Strike x2 - Cold Blood - Eviscerate - Vanish - Preparation - Cold Blood - Ambush - ... you're dead! :P

Yeah well i work full time too and have not run out of things to do either and ive been playing the same character since LAUNCH date.

Its just that ive played AO,DAOC,AC,AC2,EVE,horizons,SB,Coh,uo,earth and beyond,L2.SWG is the ONLY game ive played so far that allows me to create a character not only unique in his/her physical appeareance but have a unique skill set as well.

Again i dont play for 8 hours a day either.But it sounds as if you may have played through the entire game and have nothing left to do right?

I dont see anyone complaining in game about how bad SWG is in game anyway.If they keep playing it its their own fault.I do see a lot of complaints about lag but thats in most every game.

Every game has a level grind i just find that in swg it seems to be a bit less noticeable.As you can see above ive played 11 mmo's and every one of them has it.I cant stand it sometimes as my time is limited too i have a 1.5 year old daughter and work full time.

Want to ENJOY an mmo?

• VegettoVegetto Member Posts: 841

Played for 10 months now. Ive finally had to call it a day. Cant justify paying for the game anymore.

Maybe its jsut my server, but since JTL release, no one is on the ground, im not exaggerating ehre, i mean..even at primetime..everywhere is empty, devoid of people, coronet jsut has its alme merchant spammers and maybe 1 doc for buffs if you're lucky.

As for pvp, i have been one of the VERY few overt rebels this week, and took 4 days of all day playing travelling all known major cities and imperial towns to find some imps to pvp with, and the irony was, they turned out to be jedi and CM's and what i was looking for i didnt really want to find.

Vegetto - Farstar (SWG)
    V3g3tto - Werner (Planetside)