Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

The Official "We're Angry at SOE" thread

Comments

• morockmorock Member Posts: 24

I didnt read all 666 posts before posting mythoughts.  However what I have seen in the posts that I did read is a consistent theme.  How much fun we all had at the beggining!  I started SWG just a few days after launch.  It was my first mmo and I played for hours everyday.  I made friendships that will last a lifetime.  Like many others I have kept my subs just to log in a few times a year to see whats going on.  I know that there are many viewpoints as to why the game is not longer liked..  But I think we all agree that at one time it was the best around.  I truly hope that Bioware is reading this thread.  I hope it's game brings us all back together. 

SWG RIP 4/26/05

• OneishOneish Member Posts: 14

Hmmm in the words of Yoda...

"SOE Baaaad"

/sign

Theo - Pax Gaming Community
    www.scapes.net/pax/forums
    SWG, Veteran Commando forever

• TeknoBugTeknoBug Member UncommonPosts: 2,156

Originally posted by Deadlobster
    Since leaving swg I have played wow (twice) guild wars, vanguard, aoc, warhammer, and you know what, they crap in comparison. SWG was so far ahead its just not funny so I may have said before but eff u SOE, go kiss my hairy yellow butt lol.

Oh swg vets are gods with supreme intelligence, just look at all the feckin fanboi's out there playing lesser games and singing their praises.

WoW is actually a decent game, everything about it works, I personally don't like the fantasy genre (it's outplayed now in the MMO industry) but with my time spent in that game it has a lot of different things for everyone and it doesn't need a super computer to run like almost every new game nowdays. What I don't like about WoW and nearly every other WoW clone is the 8 hour RAIDS.

The devs interaction with the playerbase is one of the most important things for me, NCSoft tried their best with Tabula Rasa after Gariot abandoned it but it was too little too late, the devs talked with us nearly every day in game and took our feedback in.

On the other hand, Treyarch is starting to look alot like another SOE, they leave smartass comments and don't answer player's questions and they only seem to care about the XBox 360 version, pretty sad with a very popular game that has to come with such a rotten dev team (and they never fixed the glitches and bugs that existed in Call of Duty 3 after 3 years).

• vkaynevkayne Member Posts: 42
    Originally posted by morock

I didnt read all 666 posts before posting mythoughts.  However what I have seen in the posts that I did read is a consistent theme.  How much fun we all had at the beggining!  I started SWG just a few days after launch.  It was my first mmo and I played for hours everyday.  I made friendships that will last a lifetime.  Like many others I have kept my subs just to log in a few times a year to see whats going on.  I know that there are many viewpoints as to why the game is not longer liked..  But I think we all agree that at one time it was the best around.  I truly hope that Bioware is reading this thread.  I hope it's game brings us all back together. 

It's been stated in the SWTOR forums, both on MMORPG and SWTOR official forums that SWTOR will be nothing like SWG.  It will be a linear, level based system.  Also, from what I've read, seems like it is going to be a solo RPG with many players on the same server rather than a true MMO.  I was excited when this was finally anounced back in October, but with the information released and the cheezy graphics, I will take a pass unless they make vast changes prior to release.  I too, miss the early, sandbox, skill tree days of SWG.

Please note that the solo RPG accusation is pure speculation base on my interpretations of what I've read and seen.  I hope my speculation turns out to be false.

• avalon1000avalon1000 Member UncommonPosts: 791

This is truly a sad story of the life and death of an MMO.  Sony as a company is very arrogant.  I learned that going to trade shows and dealing with them.  Basically their motto is "We are Sony and we know what is good for you".   I hope other devs learn from this and take it to heart...their career could depend on it.

• Starbuck1771Starbuck1771 Member UncommonPosts: 375

I beleive we are still very angry with SOE.

• falc0nfalc0n Member UncommonPosts: 385

why dont you guys open up a classic server and watch the floodgates open? or are you afraid your lame NGE will become

D E A D!?  seriously though why not? DAMNIT AT THE VERY LEAST WE DESERVE AN APOLOGY!! 

Leoron:  SWG! , you're breaking my heart! And you're going down a path I cannot follow!

SONY:    Because of  Trials of Obi-Wan?

Leoron:  Because of what you've done... what you plan to do! Stop! Stop now; come back... I love you!

• falc0nfalc0n Member UncommonPosts: 385

o the feeling of unlocking a jedi 

• DoktorTeufelDoktorTeufel Member UncommonPosts: 413

I'm even angrier at SOE now than I was when they took a dump and shat out the NGE, because back then I didn't realize there wouldn't be a comparable sandbox game coming out within my lifetime.

Currently Playing: EVE Online
    Retired From: UO, FFXI, AO, SWG, Ryzom, GW, WoW, WAR

• BullseyeArc1BullseyeArc1 Member UncommonPosts: 410
    Originally posted by DoktorTeufel

I'm even angrier at SOE now than I was when they took a dump and shat out the NGE, because back then I didn't realize there wouldn't be a comparable sandbox game coming out within my lifetime.

I disagree with you about not seeing a sandbox in a life time.    Ive been watching the new game engines that are out thier.    Compaired to how SWG was made these new engines are easy to use, SWG had to be hand programed.     In a few more years I think their will be more tools around that everyone can use to make thier own game.  Heres a few example of what Ive been looking at.    The fist link is something interesting, a diffent type of mmo.   I see many possibilitys where players can design, this mmo I see as a template for that.  

www.entropiauniverse.com/entropiauniverse/index.html

www.crytek.com/technology/presentations/

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_game_engines

Their are already free engines to use and download, but what Im thinking is a company that markets a proffessional engine that everyone can use to make games people will one day want to play.     Many things need to improve for this to happen.   When server space is cheap and bandwidth is plentyful and cheap as well.   Heres a list of free engines.

www.freegameengines.org/

• febostaffebostaf Member Posts: 3

just to throw my voice into the massive hivemind of posts, i personally have to say i dont blame the SWG DEV TEAM but the real people who hurt [DID NOT KILL it hasent gone the way of tabula rasa and the matrix online] Swg was the SOE shareholders who wanted the game to be more profitable. instead they killed off most of the old players. I started playing right before the NGE. so i must say i wasent really as offended as most of you guys who have been here since the begining. But i dident leave and continue to play until this day. i stay for a couple of reasons

1. FRIENDS this was the first MMO i ever played and i got my first mmo friends there. even when times were tough i could always hang out with them and whine about it.

2. ever since the NGE the soe DEV TEAM [note the caps] has been trying hard to make it up to us with cool little expansions and other goodies to make us happy and stay.

3. until swtor comes out its the only Starwars MMO and if SWTOR doesent have sweet housing or industry themes such as swg i'm going to play both.

so all this in a nutshell, i like SWG, i dont blame the DEV TEAM [note the caps again] and i will still play it until it closes

Played: WAR, WoW, EQII
    Playing: EVE, SWG
    Awaiting: SWTOR, STO
    Never played: AoC

• drbaltazardrbaltazar Member UncommonPosts: 7,856
    Originally posted by Stradden

Hi Guys,
    It seems as though there has been quite a bit of SOE hate recently, and it has gotten to the point where it is taking over the forums for SOE games. As a result, I am creating this sticky where people can vent their frustrations on this subject.
    *Edited for Clarity and pasted from a future post:
    I think there has been some misinterpretation of the purpose of this thread. First off, let me say that I do understand where you’re coming from and that you have every right to be angry about what happened. In fact, we printed an editorial about this back in November that you can take another look at, here.

The purpose of this thread is for you guys to vent your frustrations in one place. It does not mean that you can never say anything negative about SOE in the forums. My concern on that front is that it is being said over and over again, and the purpose of threads is being lost in the clutter. My concern is NOT that people are talking negatively about SOE. I personally don’t blame anyone who is angry over this issue. You have a valid gripe, and I understand that.
    Cheers,
    Jon "Stradden" Wood, Community Manager

can anybody link the november article they made here about swg issue he say they posted an article i want to read it 

• jonezi92jonezi92 Member Posts: 224

sweet, 3 years later and soe are still getting hit lol

• blueshadowblueshadow Member CommonPosts: 146

I am still angry. Miss the game and my friends there enormously.  Will not toutch a SOE  or  LA game after what they did.

• kefkahkefkah Member UncommonPosts: 832

Hated to take this thread past post #666 but October really needed represented here. Still angry and SOE is still hurting their existing playerbase.

• jaxsundanejaxsundane Member Posts: 2,776
    Originally posted by febostaf

just to throw my voice into the massive hivemind of posts, i personally have to say i dont blame the SWG DEV TEAM but the real people who hurt [DID NOT KILL it hasent gone the way of tabula rasa and the matrix online] Swg was the SOE shareholders who wanted the game to be more profitable. instead they killed off most of the old players. I started playing right before the NGE. so i must say i wasent really as offended as most of you guys who have been here since the begining. But i dident leave and continue to play until this day. i stay for a couple of reasons
    1. FRIENDS this was the first MMO i ever played and i got my first mmo friends there. even when times were tough i could always hang out with them and whine about it.
    2. ever since the NGE the soe DEV TEAM [note the caps] has been trying hard to make it up to us with cool little expansions and other goodies to make us happy and stay.
    3. until swtor comes out its the only Starwars MMO and if SWTOR doesent have sweet housing or industry themes such as swg i'm going to play both.
    so all this in a nutshell, i like SWG, i dont blame the DEV TEAM [note the caps again] and i will still play it until it closes

Have you actually seen the "cool little expansions" they've been coming up with?  they are horrible and far too often not what the population is asking for in general you are right but make no mistake the devs are still at the mercy of the shareholders because I assure you no one playing now is asking for winged ewoks,zombie wookies, or broken hoth instances.

but yeah, to call this game Fantastic is like calling Twilight the Godfather of vampire movies....

• swchieftainswchieftain Member Posts: 7
    Originally posted by neilh73

Another name to add to the SOE hate list.
    As I have posted before in other threads, this was the best game I had ever played - full stop. Not MMORPG, the best GAME.
    Granted I probably played it far more than any sane person should, averaging between 8-12 hours a day at one point (I was unemployed at the time), lol I even played for a 36 hour session once when I was doing the Knight Trials on my first Jedi. Ridiculous, but there you go - thats how good the game once was.
    Now it is utter rubbish. I didnt give the NGE a chance when it was launched as my guild (60+ people. Was a Dark Jedi Guild, only non-jedi were peoples alts really) were so annoyed about all our work and in-game credits (for instance I spent over 600 million credits on my 2 jedi suits with all the appropriate CA's, thats not to mention the countless millions spent on Krayt Pearls) being wasted that we all instantly cancelled and moved to another game.
    I didnt really enjoy the game we went to (CoV), so I left after 3 months and have since then been looking for another MMO to play. I have tried several, but none even come close to what Pre-CU SWG was like for me.
    So earlier this month I stupidly re-subbed to SWG for a month. OMG it is absolutely awful. My server (Bria) probably has about a sixth of the population it had Pre-CU and from what I have seen on the other servers that I have played around on over the past couple of weeks it is still the biggest population-wise. Bloodfin, Chilastra and Ahazi all have less than Bria but at least you see some people about the place, the rest that I looked at were totally devoid of players.
    The amazing thing is that the lag on Bria is even worse than before with a sixth of the poipulation playing, way to go SOE. Bugs are everywhere, rubberbanding, entering the vette and then just walking around space, specials not working, animations piss-poor... I could go on all day. The only semi-good thing is the legacy quest

and its not that great also once you have done it once with 1 toon the desire to do it again with another is minimal to say the least.
    Needless to say I have already cancelled the 1 account that I opened up for this experiment (used to have 4, some in my guild had more).
    SOE have totally destroyed this game, it is dumbed-down to such a level that it is actually painfull to play it. I really feel for the crafters and entertainers, they are useless now as are my 2 jedi. The community is nowhere near as strong as before either, a lot of smack-talking idiots duelling outside Theed SP. i am rambling now, so I will STFU.
    In closing, SOE ruined this game and crapped all over their customers in the process, great work ::::37::

Bria was also my server. I belonged to a guild called KIA for some time, and wonder sometimes what they are all doing now. I have had no luck finding a game that satisfies me like pre cu SWG did. The hunting, exploring and community. It WAS a killer game, before they ran it through the shredder to draw new players while losing the old ones. I was a week or less away from becoming a Jedi when they made them playable from the start. I could probably go on into how they dropped so many options that were near limitless at one time, how they created a level system in a game that clearly didn't need one, how suddenly my Teras Kasi Master/Master Pikeman no longer existed, Infuriating. How the work put into a very fun character was flushed down the toilet. And they tried to fix it by giving us respecs respecs to what? There weren't even any real choices anymore. 

I still look, all the time for a game that can compare to what SWG was. And sadly the current mmorpg genre lacks considerably. 

• FormlessOneFormlessOne Member UncommonPosts: 35

Long ago, I played on Valcyn with the Galactic Torton Brigade. I had participated in PB2, and I'd played on Valcyn since the game started.

Until the NGE, I was enjoying the game immensely. Then, SOE rolled out "Smedley's Folly," as I like to refer to it. I won't play another SOE game again. Period. I'm no longer angry about watching years of gameplay get snuffed out by executive decision, then told that I was a "vocal minority" by Smedley when I (and so many others) protested the combination expansion bait-and-switch/new game rollout. My guild pretty much quit en masse and moved to Vanguard - I elected not to follow them.

I am, however, leery of starting any new MMO that contains significant issues or has had significant gameplay changes take place. Champions Online didn't roll out the same game they beta-tested - I was out of it in a couple of weeks. Aion had promise, but after a month of no in-game support, significant bugs, and the plethora of bots and gold sellers clogging the very game itself, I was out.

SWG has taught me not to take a game at face value, nor believe the promises of its development team. A painful lesson.

• WooptydooWooptydoo Member Posts: 5
    Originally posted by FormlessOne

SWG has taught me not to take a game at face value, nor believe the promises of its development team. A painful lesson.

SOE's NGE certainly robbed the MMO industry of it's innocence. That's for sure.

• DoktorTeufelDoktorTeufel Member UncommonPosts: 413

November 15, 2005... it's been over four years now. I left the game that day, did not pass go, did not collect $200. I said a simple, drama-free goodbye to all online guild mates and friends, logged out in my house on Tatooine, canceled my account, and uninstalled the client.

But there's hope.

Currently Playing: EVE Online
    Retired From: UO, FFXI, AO, SWG, Ryzom, GW, WoW, WAR

• NebirothNebiroth Member UncommonPosts: 21
    Originally posted by DoktorTeufel

November 15, 2005... it's been over four years now. I left the game that day, did not pass go, did not collect $200. I said a simple, drama-free goodbye to all online guild mates and friends, logged out in my house on Tatooine, canceled my account, and uninstalled the client.

But there's hope.

:) yap

• JamkullJamkull Member UncommonPosts: 214

Sony Online Entertainment ... I used to think sony stood for high quality up until i've seen how SOE handles their games.  I'm not impressed in the least.  SOE has serious issues when it comes to being quality entertainment.  They chase after some strange audience that doesn't really exist for their games because they are half-baked games.  especially SWG, it was great when it first came out, reminded me a lot like Asheron's Call, with the whole open ended character design and sandbox style gameplay.  But the big difference is Asheron's Call actually had monthly added content.  Where SWG lacked content major lack of content.  and they kept revamping the rules on people so much and "fixing that which isn't broken", multiple times even... i mean once wasn't good enough with the CU, which was dumb and then they got dumber with the NGE.  Obviously SOE is clueless and reckless. 

• depaindepain Member Posts: 263

I'm still mad.

I've yet to play a game as good as SWG - before they released the Jedi crap.

• warmaster670warmaster670 Member Posts: 1,384

People are STILL crying over this? its a videogame, its been almost 5 years, seriousley, get a life and get over it already.

Apparently stating the truth in my sig is "trolling"
    Sig typo fixed thanks to an observant stragen001.

• jdruger1jdruger1 Member Posts: 1

so long time veteran ready to take another look at swg. Had 4 account crafters ships tons of resources.Found out the other day sony shut down my server and wanted 50 bucks for me to tranfer to another. What r u kidding. Way to treat a player considering returning. As usual soe is soo out of touch with the customer base and reminded me  y i left the game and soe behind in the first place. Who r the morons making these decisions .

This discussion has been closed.