Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Just a minute

Only 5 month after launch, and people are saying this game sucks, is dead going the way of Tabula Rasa.

So what is the truth buy it or skip it

Comments

• ComanComan Member UncommonPosts: 2,178

IF you have enough money just buy it

If you short on cash, wait and hope tier 4 will get a bit more attractive.

It a good game, but once you level 40 and have good gear, the game stalls.

• People were saying this game sucks 2 days after launch.  :)  Every single mmo will have its haters, and you can never form a proper conclusion from a forum like this.  The only way to know for sure is to play it yourself.  As for me?  I stopped playing after a month.  I was too bored with the game.  That doesn't mean it sucks and that you won't find it fun.

• popinjaypopinjay Member Posts: 6,539

Originally posted by boriken48
    Only 5 month after launch, and people are saying this game sucks, is dead going the way of Tabula Rasa.

Short answer is, get one of those free trials now that people are giving out and try it for yourself.

I mean, when its free you can't go wrong, right?

• HairwolfHairwolf Member Posts: 43
    Originally posted by popinjay

Short answer is, get one of those free trials now that people are giving out and try it for yourself.

I mean, when its free you can't go wrong, right?

Which is exactly what i did, and have to admit, really liking it so far:)

Played: WoW, Lotro, AoC, Eve, CoX.
    Shortly be playing: WAR and champions if the release date holds.

•  I had a go at Tabula Rasa last year while waiting for WAR to launch. I wasn't impressed, but I didn't think it was so bad that it would simply wither up and die. WAR on the other hand is here to stay.

• MrVicchioMrVicchio Member Posts: 598

If you are looking for a WoW type experience, skip it.  WAR isn't WoW.  The classes are not exact mirriors, there are difference that make one class in situations seem OP and in others Underpowered.   There aren't a lot of isntances to grind, PVE isn't the main focus, gear isn't everything... crafting is a side game as it were, not a major focus, and money counts for little in the long run.

If you are looking for a focused PVP /RVR style game, that doesn't hold back the action, that offers a different challenge everyday, and fast paced action.  WAR might be up your alley.

Personally I LOVE WAR, it's everything I want in an MMORPG focused on fighting for a cause.  If I wanted a WoW like game... I'd just play WoW.  And I think that's the problem with a lot of folks, they expect to go in,a nd get badarse and be able to play WAR like WoW...

You can't.  It won't let you.

Always change your signature.

• arctarusarctarus Member UncommonPosts: 2,581

The pve aspect of this game is really bad. You do nothing but killing the same npc over and over again with each zone that you go.  As a white lion, i only get to kill my arch enemy npc, man-bat thing, and a few spiders...

Also crafting is non-existence. Couple with the senerious ginding, which gives you not only xp bt better money, it is very very boring.

BTW, this game dosen't work smoothly even you have a high end pc. Some players have no problem with just the minimum spec but some dont with even the highest spec. So its a gamble.

Mythic have release this game too early, i would personally suggest to try this game after 1 more year. 

RIP Orc Choppa

• LondonMagusLondonMagus Member Posts: 700
    Originally posted by arctarus

The pve aspect of this game is really bad. You do nothing but killing the same npc over and over again with each zone that you go.  As a white lion, i only get to kill my arch enemy npc, man-bat thing, and a few spiders...
    Also crafting is non-existence. Couple with the senerious ginding, which gives you not only xp bt better money, it is very very boring.
    BTW, this game dosen't work smoothly even you have a high end pc. Some players have no problem with just the minimum spec but some dont with even the highest spec. So its a gamble.
    Mythic have release this game too early, i would personally suggest to try this game after 1 more year. 

The worst thing for me in 'Dark Elf Vs High Elf' PVE is the way that the 'Female High Elf Mages' constantly scream when they cast spells. I always try to kill them first because I find it so irritating & repetetive.

If you can't "Have your cake & eat it too", then how can "The proof of the pudding be in the eating"?

• PheacePheace Member Posts: 2,408
    Originally posted by MrVicchio

If you are looking for a WoW type experience, skip it.  WAR isn't WoW.  The classes are not exact mirriors, there are difference that make one class in situations seem OP and in others Underpowered.   There aren't a lot of isntances to grind, PVE isn't the main focus, gear isn't everything... crafting is a side game as it were, not a major focus, and money counts for little in the long run.

If you are looking for a focused PVP /RVR style game, that doesn't hold back the action, that offers a different challenge everyday, and fast paced action.  WAR might be up your alley.

Personally I LOVE WAR, it's everything I want in an MMORPG focused on fighting for a cause.  If I wanted a WoW like game... I'd just play WoW.  And I think that's the problem with a lot of folks, they expect to go in,a nd get badarse and be able to play WAR like WoW...

Gear isn't everything ... very true. Gear + RR however is a whole lot. RR80 = 20% extra damage on top of the difference your gear already gives you.

Progress > Skill in this game just as in WoW.

If you're interested in  a PvP /RvR style game you might also want to consider Daoc, or who knows, Darkfall (rofl)

Originally posted by Pheace

Gear isn't everything ... very true. Gear + RR however is a whole lot. RR80 = 20% extra damage on top of the difference your gear already gives you.

If you're interested in  a PvP /RvR style game you might also want to consider Daoc, or who knows, Darkfall (rofl)

Progress will always beat skill in a game with gear and levels.  The only way skill > progress is if you are playing a game like CS.  Even then, if you "progress" and have more money then you can have the Colt and your enemy has a pistol.  Your point is bunk.

However, as a lvl 30, 26 RR BW last night out kicking it in a T4 Scenario, I did quite well, never died and was tops for killing blows, because Dest. was STUPID.  And a lot of them were lvl 40.   So my skill > their progression.

WoW... I used to play in a guild called "Marshal Law" full of old time Grand Marshals.  Some of them didn't have the skill to fill a thimble, but they had the gear, and our main tank could lay waste to other players for his time.  WoW gives a far greater % to gear thus lowering the effect of skill.

Nice try pheace, but you fail.

Progress will always beat skill in a game with gear and levels.  The only way skill > progress is if you are playing a game like CS.  Even then, if you "progress" and have more money then you can have the Colt and your enemy has a pistol.  Your point is bunk.

However, as a lvl 30, 26 RR BW last night out kicking it in a T4 Scenario, I did quite well, never died and was tops for killing blows, because Dest. was STUPID.  And a lot of them were lvl 40.   So my skill > their progression.

WoW... I used to play in a guild called "Marshal Law" full of old time Grand Marshals.  Some of them didn't have the skill to fill a thimble, but they had the gear, and our main tank could lay waste to other players for his time.  WoW gives a far greater % to gear thus lowering the effect of skill.

nice try? You agreed, progress > skill. 

You also forgot to mention your bolster which might have helped you. + In *any* game you can beat people who are STUPID.

Grand Marshals? I'm sorry I didn't realize we were talking about days long past here, so we're comparing WAR *now* to WoW *then* ? Will that change in other arguments when it suits them or can I expect you to use this comparison from here on?

So in summary, your argument : " In my game progress > skill to a lesser degree than it does in *yours* but it still does" 

Good argument O_o

"nice try vic, but you fail."  <-- god welcome to 8th grade.

• phlcarlphlcarl Member Posts: 37

You also forgot to mention your bolster which might have helped you. + In *any* game you can beat people who are STUPID.

Grand Marshals? I'm sorry I didn't realize we were talking about days long past here, so we're comparing WAR *now* to WoW *then* ? Will that change in other arguments when it suits them or can I expect you to use this comparison from here on?

So in summary, your argument : " In my game progress > skill to a lesser degree than it does in *yours* but it still does" 

Good argument O_o

i think hes trying to say that mmo's no matter what, even if its the best mmo ever to be released, will have progression. anything based on lvls is progression. so you cant really use progression>skill as an inult or fault against an mmo.

• neonwireneonwire Member Posts: 1,787

If you are looking for a WoW type experience, skip it. WAR isn't WoW.

Sorry but WAR was modeled on WoWs game design so it is about as similar to WoW as you can get without being an exact clone.....so if you are looking for a game that looks, feels and plays like WoW without the content or the polish then WAR is the game for you.

The classes are not exact mirriors, there are difference that make one class in situations seem OP and in others Underpowered.

The classes are not exact mirrors? Actually yes they are. Each of the six races has a class which fulfills the stereotypical tank, dps, healer and ranged dps......so basicly there are 4 classes in the game and each race has their modified version of one. They have been designed SPECIFICALLY to mirror the identical class of the opposing side. Mythic mentioned this when they were talking about balancing the classes.

This is one thing that WAR does extremely well - limitation of choice. In WAR if you want to be a human mage then you can choose from.....oh whats this? Only one option. A fire mage? Hmm guess I'll be a fire mage just like all the other human mages then. All fire mages also dress and look like all other fire mages of the same level.....and this applies to all the classes in WAR. Every Ironbreaker, every Chosen, every Witch Elf......yes all of them look the same as each other. Customisation along the way? Forget it. This is Warhammer online.

There aren't a lot of isntances to grind, PVE isn't the main focus, gear isn't everything... crafting is a side game as it were, not a major focus, and money counts for little in the long run.

PvE is indeed not the main focus and is ultimately very tedius and boring to endure......which is odd really considering that most of the games content is PvE based. The so-called RvR "playpens" which have been dumped unimaginately next to the PvE playpens are nothing more than empty areas with keeps and a bunch of static npc guards in them. Hmmm it looks like RvR wasnt the focus of this game either......unless you liked repeatedly doing the same battlegrounds in WoW over and over again in which case you will love WAR because originally WAR was going to be a PvE game just like WoW with more focus on battlegrounds (oh sorry I mean scenarios.....how daft of me to get them mixed up!) but they added the open pvp areas as an afterthought during beta testing. This explains why they have so little bearing on the rest of the game and also why so many players dont bother going into them and just stick with doing exactly what they are used to doing in WoW - grinding PvE quests and battlegrounds to go up levels so they can finish the game.

Oh yeah and crafting is indeed a side game. Well.....its not even a side game really is it. Its just a side...umm...distraction? I think the description "a pointless addition" sums it up pretty well.

If you are looking for a focused PVP /RVR style game

....then dont buy WAR because its actually a PvE game. However it does make PvP a lot easier to access by letting you access a queue for a battleground anywhere at any time. It also allows you to gain go up levels by killing players. Basicly just think of how WoW is now and then add a "Join Battleground" button to your interface and add a bunch of new empty zones that players can go and fight each other in. It does exactly what WoW does and yet many people mistakenly call WAR a "focused PvP game" and WoW a "focused PvE game". Its weird when both the games pretty much do the same thing.

that doesn't hold back the action, that offers a different challenge everyday, and fast paced action. WAR might be up your alley.

......as long as you are willing to put the effort into going out and looking for it. You certainly wont find any "fast paced action" in WARs extremely slow and boring PvE. That only leaves the other human players to provide this and the only way to find them is to either jump into a battleground (oops I mean scenario....there I go again) or wander into an open pvp playpen and keep your fingers crossed that some other bored players are also in there.

As for offering a different challenge everyday.......well......I suppose that depends on your level of intelligence. When I played the game I found myself killing mobs, killing some players, completing a task which involved killing some mobs and clicking on an object, killing some more mobs, killing some more players, killing some mobs and killing some mobs. I dunno I realise the list of things to do in WAR is endless and I probably missed some of them but for me and many others having to do a "different challenge everyday" was just too much and caused us to quit. Oh yeah I almost the completely irrelevant Tome of Knowledge which can provide you with extra fluff if you can be bothered with it. Dont worry because like most things in this game its purely optional and you can just ignore the ToK if you like as you wont miss anything interesting.

Actually if you are bored with WoW then I would recommend you try out WAR. The experience will highlight for you what happens when a games company blatantly copies the game design of another very well known game and then tries to pass it off as something which it isnt. After playing WAR you will quickly realise what an effect WoW has had on the minds of millions. Even the devs working for games companies such as Mythic cant think beyond WoW either. Its actually quite disturbing.

Personally I LOVE WAR, it's everything I want in an MMORPG focused on fighting for a cause.

Yeah and the only "cause" in the game is the progress of your own characters level.....exactly like WoW. In other words you arent actually fighting for anything in WAR except the opportunity to ransack the enemies city at the end of the game......but thats the END of the game. What about the rest of it? Oh yeah never mind that because thats the level grinding treadmill part which Mythic put into the game as a means of charging you a monthly fee for the privelege of going through a timesink to get to the good part of the game (exactly the same as WoW yet again). Anyway once you've "completed" it then whats the point of sticking around? Another reason why many max level players quit due to boredom.

Like you said though WAR is everything you want in an mmo which ties in perfectly with the line of text above in blue. In other words after people have practically lived in games like WoW for a year or several and their minds are well and truly conditioned.....or dulled. Mythic played into this and gave birth to WoW 2......basicly providing what everyone is already totally familiar with. Unfortunately Mythic did not count on the idea that many people played WoW for so many years simply because there is nothing else worth playing not because they think its a good game.......and this is why WAR isnt doing all that well. People left WoW and came to WAR and then found themselves playing a watered down version of what they have already been playing for years.....so they left and many of them have gone back to WoW while they continue to wait for a decent mmo to come along.

If I wanted a WoW like game... I'd just play WoW. And I think that's the problem with a lot of folks, they expect to go in,a nd get badarse and be able to play WAR like WoW...

No the "problem" as you wrongfully identified it is not with the players expectations. Its with the limited games we get to choose from. The players who beat WoW by climbing the levelling treadmill can do exactly the same thing in WAR. Everything they did in WoW they can do in WAR. Its as close to WoW as you can possibly get except players can fight each other to gain levels. Apart from that the game design is the same. Everyone follows a levelling treadmill to reach the holy "endgame". Then they just run around in the endgame content (a battleground or instance) repeating the same thing over and over. Once boredom sets in (finally! Some people are VERY easy to please) they re-roll another character and go through the whole process all over again......or they quit.....which is the option for the more normal person. I mean you wouldnt play a single player game constantly for several years so why would you do it in an online game thats been designed like a single player game and also charges you a monthly fee?

You can't. It won't let you.

Absolutely. Dont expect to do anything unique or interesting in this game. You cant. It won't let you. The game will tell you what to do and where to go. Leave your brain begind for this one. In fact this is a very good motto that should be used by all of the latest mmos......

YOU CANT. WE WON'T LET YOU

In answer to the OP, the reason why after 5 months so many people are saying it sucks is really very simple. Its because the game sucks. There is no conspiracy at work here. Lots of people want something new and interesting to play which isnt just another WoW clone. Mythic provided us with "WoW 2 - The PvP version" so its justifiable that people call it for what it is. If Mythic had based their game design on their original game DAoC then things might be a little different but they chose to focus on the most successful game on the market and modeled WAR on that instead.

It really doesnt matter though. I think there are some pretty good and original games on the horizon such as Earthrise, Fallen Earth, Mortal Online, Crusades and Darkfall. All of them aim to be genuine PvP games. When I say genuine I mean that the games are advertised as PvP games and are also designed and build around PvP.....unlike WAR which was advertised as a PvP game but was actually designed around a PvE game with PvP bits added afterwards. Also something to take notice of is that none of these future games are level-based or story driven which are both features which work best in single player games. They only cause problems in mmos and prevent them from taking advantage of the fact that they are online.

Unfortunately this does still leave everyone with very little choice for what to play for the time being. The waiting game continues for many I guess.

• RaztorRaztor Member Posts: 670

Some one sticky the above thread. Will save a lot of pointless fanboy ignorance.

Originally posted by phlcarl

Good argument O_o

i think hes trying to say that mmo's no matter what, even if its the best mmo ever to be released, will have progression. anything based on lvls is progression. so you cant really use progression>skill as an inult or fault against an mmo.

I didn't bring it up, I just said it's equally true in both games that progress > skill.

Levels, while true, to me is beyond the point, levelling to max is only a small part of the lifetime of characters in a lot of MMO's these days and albeit important it's often more to do about the gap in strength a max char level has to other max levelled chars rather than levels.

Also, progression does not /should not have to = more strength over another character, it could be aimed towards other things rather than increase of personal combat prowess over those that don't. Problem is, at least have of those would be called fluff these days most likely.

• SalvatorisSalvatoris Member Posts: 1,360

Don't believe the hate.  This game kicks ass.  While there is room for improvement in tier 4 RvR, the game is still a blast to play and well worth the money.

• popingaypopingay Member Posts: 33
    Originally posted by Salvatoris

Don't believe the hate.  This game kicks ass.  While there is room for improvement in tier 4 RvR, the game is still a blast to play and well worth the money.

agree.

Originally posted by neonwire

Sorry but WAR was modeled on WoWs game design so it is about as similar to WoW as you can get without being an exact clone.....so if you are looking for a game that looks, feels and plays like WoW without the content or the polish then WAR is the game for you.

Someone hasn't played WAR have they?  Obviously not.

The classes are not exact mirriors, there are difference that make one class in situations seem OP and in others Underpowered.

The classes are not exact mirrors? Actually yes they are. Each of the six races has a class which fulfills the stereotypical tank, dps, healer and ranged dps......so basicly there are 4 classes in the game and each race has their modified version of one. They have been designed SPECIFICALLY to mirror the identical class of the opposing side. Mythic mentioned this when they were talking about balancing the classes.

A Witchelf and a Witchhunter are both the same in what they do, and different in how they do it.  Same with Bright Wizards and Sorc.  I have played all four, and franly I found the Sorc to be less able then the BW and the WE to be a bit more then the WH.    They are alike, but nor mirrors.

This is one thing that WAR does extremely well - limitation of choice. In WAR if you want to be a human mage then you can choose from.....oh whats this? Only one option. A fire mage? Hmm guess I'll be a fire mage just like all the other human mages then. All fire mages also dress and look like all other fire mages of the same level.....and this applies to all the classes in WAR. Every Ironbreaker, every Chosen, every Witch Elf......yes all of them look the same as each other. Customisation along the way? Forget it. This is Warhammer online.

WAR was built to be that way.  You can tell a class by what they look like, the sacrifice is you don't have High Elf or Dorf BW.   I can live with that.    WAR is a game about kicking the crap out of people, not dressing pretty... maybe you should wait for "Barbie: Shopping Mall Extreme the MMO"

There aren't a lot of isntances to grind, PVE isn't the main focus, gear isn't everything... crafting is a side game as it were, not a major focus, and money counts for little in the long run.

PvE is indeed not the main focus and is ultimately very tedius and boring to endure......which is odd really considering that most of the games content is PvE based. The so-called RvR "playpens" which have been dumped unimaginately next to the PvE playpens are nothing more than empty areas with keeps and a bunch of static npc guards in them. Hmmm it looks like RvR wasnt the focus of this game either......unless you liked repeatedly doing the same battlegrounds in WoW over and over again in which case you will love WAR because originally WAR was going to be a PvE game just like WoW with more focus on battlegrounds (oh sorry I mean scenarios.....how daft of me to get them mixed up!) but they added the open pvp areas as an afterthought during beta testing. This explains why they have so little bearing on the rest of the game and also why so many players dont bother going into them and just stick with doing exactly what they are used to doing in WoW - grinding PvE quests and battlegrounds to go up levels so they can finish the game.

You really HAVEN'T played WAR have you?  I was up till 0300 last night messing with one of my alts, and spent all of it in Nord trading BO's in a runnign battle with Destr.   Damn that no RVR stuff eh?

Oh yeah and crafting is indeed a side game. Well.....its not even a side game really is it. Its just a side...umm...distraction? I think the description "a pointless addition" sums it up pretty well.

Crafting wasn't really a big focus, and thankfully so.  I did enough crafting BS in WoW.  If you are looking for a big crafting game... this ain't it.

....then dont buy WAR because its actually a PvE game. However it does make PvP a lot easier to access by letting you access a queue for a battleground anywhere at any time. It also allows you to gain go up levels by killing players. Basicly just think of how WoW is now and then add a "Join Battleground" button to your interface and add a bunch of new empty zones that players can go and fight each other in. It does exactly what WoW does and yet many people mistakenly call WAR a "focused PvP game" and WoW a "focused PvE game". Its weird when both the games pretty much do the same thing.

WoW has a goal, get more gear.  WAR has a goal, take teh other sides Capitol.  WAR is all about the war, however you've never played WAR so...

that doesn't hold back the action, that offers a different challenge everyday, and fast paced action. WAR might be up your alley.

......as long as you are willing to put the effort into going out and looking for it. You certainly wont find any "fast paced action" in WARs extremely slow and boring PvE. That only leaves the other human players to provide this and the only way to find them is to either jump into a battleground (oops I mean scenario....there I go again) or wander into an open pvp playpen and keep your fingers crossed that some other bored players are also in there.

You should pick up the game, try it before you blather.

As for offering a different challenge everyday.......well......I suppose that depends on your level of intelligence. When I played the game I found myself killing mobs, killing some players, completing a task which involved killing some mobs and clicking on an object, killing some more mobs, killing some more players, killing some mobs and killing some mobs. I dunno I realise the list of things to do in WAR is endless and I probably missed some of them but for me and many others having to do a "different challenge everyday" was just too much and caused us to quit. Oh yeah I almost the completely irrelevant Tome of Knowledge which can provide you with extra fluff if you can be bothered with it. Dont worry because like most things in this game its purely optional and you can just ignore the ToK if you like as you wont miss anything interesting.

You played the game?  When at a friends house for 5 min?   And by different challenge everyday I was refering to the battles are never the same.  Oen day you might be sweeping across the RVR lake with little to stand in your way, the next fighting back a mass of tanks.. or you hit a scenario or three and each one... is a different mix of classes and players.  Same set, new play, new challenges.

Actually if you are bored with WoW then I would recommend you try out WAR. The experience will highlight for you what happens when a games company blatantly copies the game design of another very well known game and then tries to pass it off as something which it isnt. After playing WAR you will quickly realise what an effect WoW has had on the minds of millions. Even the devs working for games companies such as Mythic cant think beyond WoW either. Its actually quite disturbing.

OH you're one of those darkfall folks aren't you?  Hehehe now I see you're hate.  You know WAR players are geared for PVP and you think if you can lie about WAT you might get some more folks to buy DF.   Silly plan really, DF is crap.

Personally I LOVE WAR, it's everything I want in an MMORPG focused on fighting for a cause.

Yeah and the only "cause" in the game is the progress of your own characters level.....exactly like WoW. In other words you arent actually fighting for anything in WAR except the opportunity to ransack the enemies city at the end of the game......but thats the END of the game. What about the rest of it? Oh yeah never mind that because thats the level grinding treadmill part which Mythic put into the game as a means of charging you a monthly fee for the privelege of going through a timesink to get to the good part of the game (exactly the same as WoW yet again). Anyway once you've "completed" it then whats the point of sticking around? Another reason why many max level players quit due to boredom.

Taking the enemy capitol is my cause, you should WaR as WaR and not WoW

Like you said though WAR is everything you want in an mmo which ties in perfectly with the line of text above in blue. In other words after people have practically lived in games like WoW for a year or several and their minds are well and truly conditioned.....or dulled. Mythic played into this and gave birth to WoW 2......basicly providing what everyone is already totally familiar with. Unfortunately Mythic did not count on the idea that many people played WoW for so many years simply because there is nothing else worth playing not because they think its a good game.......and this is why WAR isnt doing all that well. People left WoW and came to WAR and then found themselves playing a watered down version of what they have already been playing for years.....so they left and many of them have gone back to WoW while they continue to wait for a decent mmo to come along.

Come back after you've actually played the game for more then 5 min on your sisters computer.

If I wanted a WoW like game... I'd just play WoW. And I think that's the problem with a lot of folks, they expect to go in,a nd get badarse and be able to play WAR like WoW...

No the "problem" as you wrongfully identified it is not with the players expectations. Its with the limited games we get to choose from. The players who beat WoW by climbing the levelling treadmill can do exactly the same thing in WAR. Everything they did in WoW they can do in WAR. Its as close to WoW as you can possibly get except players can fight each other to gain levels. Apart from that the game design is the same. Everyone follows a levelling treadmill to reach the holy "endgame". Then they just run around in the endgame content (a battleground or instance) repeating the same thing over and over. Once boredom sets in (finally! Some people are VERY easy to please) they re-roll another character and go through the whole process all over again......or they quit.....which is the option for the more normal person. I mean you wouldnt play a single player game constantly for several years so why would you do it in an online game thats been designed like a single player game and also charges you a monthly fee?

Absolutely. Dont expect to do anything unique or interesting in this game. You cant. It won't let you. The game will tell you what to do and where to go. Leave your brain begind for this one. In fact this is a very good motto that should be used by all of the latest mmos......

In answer to the OP, the reason why after 5 months so many people are saying it sucks is really very simple. Its because the game sucks. There is no conspiracy at work here. Lots of people want something new and interesting to play which isnt just another WoW clone. Mythic provided us with "WoW 2 - The PvP version" so its justifiable that people call it for what it is. If Mythic had based their game design on their original game DAoC then things might be a little different but they chose to focus on the most successful game on the market and modeled WAR on that instead.

It really doesnt matter though. I think there are some pretty good and original games on the horizon such as Earthrise, Fallen Earth, Mortal Online, Crusades and Darkfall. All of them aim to be genuine PvP games. When I say genuine I mean that the games are advertised as PvP games and are also designed and build around PvP.....unlike WAR which was advertised as a PvP game but was actually designed around a PvE game with PvP bits added afterwards. Also something to take notice of is that none of these future games are level-based or story driven which are both features which work best in single player games. They only cause problems in mmos and prevent them from taking advantage of the fact that they are online.

Unfortunately this does still leave everyone with very little choice for what to play for the time being. The waiting game continues for many I guess.

I wish those other games success, but you however... I think you just enjoy talking about things you have no wisdom on.

• sidebustersidebuster Member UncommonPosts: 1,712
    Originally posted by neonwire

Sorry but WoW was modeled on DAoCs game design so it is about as similar to DAoC as you can get without being an exact clone.....so if you are looking for a game that looks, feels and plays like DAoC without the content or the polish then WoW is the game for you.

The classes are not exact mirrors? Actually yes they are. Each of the six races has a class which fulfills the stereotypical tank, dps, healer and ranged dps......so basicly there are 4 classes in the game and each realm has their modified version of one. They have been designed SPECIFICALLY to mirror the identical class of the opposing side. Mythic mentioned this when they were talking about balancing the classes.

This is one thing that WoW does extremely well - limitation of choice. In WoW if you want to be a human mage then you can choose from.....oh whats this? Only one option. A mage? Hmm guess I'll be a mage just like all the other human mages then. All fire mages also dress and look like all other fire mages of the same level.....and this applies to all the classes in WoW. Every Warrior, every Paladin, every Rogue......yes all of them look the same as each other. Customisation along the way? Forget it. This is World of Warcraft.

PvE is indeed the main focus and is ultimately very tedius and boring to endure......which is odd really considering that most of the games content is PvE based. The so-called RvR "playpens" which have been dumped unimaginately next to the PvE playpens are nothing more than empty areas. Hmmm it looks like RvR wasnt the focus of this game either......unless you liked repeatedly doing the same battlegrounds in WoW over and over again. This explains why they have so little bearing on the rest of the game and also why so many players dont bother going into them and just stick with doing exactly what they are used to doing in WoW - grinding PvE quests and battlegrounds to go up levels so they can finish the game.

....then dont buy WoW because its actually a PvE game. However it does make PvP a lot easier to access by letting you access a battleground. It also allows you to gain go up levels by killing players. Basicly just think of how DAoC is now and then add a "Join Battleground" button to your interface and add a bunch of new empty zones that players can go and fight each other in. It does exactly what DAoC does and yet many people mistakenly call WOW a "focused PvP game" and DAoC a "focused PvE game". Its weird when both the games pretty much do the same thing.

......as long as you are willing to put the effort into going out and looking for it. You certainly wont find any "fast paced action" in WoWs extremely slow and boring PvE. That only leaves the other human players to provide this and the only way to find them is to either jump into a battleground or wander into an open pvp playpen and keep your fingers crossed that some other bored players are also in there.

As for offering a different challenge everyday.......well......I suppose that depends on your level of intelligence. When I played the game I found myself killing mobs, killing some players, completing a task which involved killing some mobs and clicking on an object, killing some more mobs, killing some more players, killing some mobs and killing some mobs. I dunno I realise the list of things to do in WpW is endless and I probably missed some of them but for me and many others having to do a "different challenge everyday" was just too much and caused us to quit. Oh yeah I almost the completely irrelevant Workshop which can provide you with extra fluff if you can be bothered with it. Dont worry because like most things in this game its purely optional and you can just ignore it if you like as you wont miss anything interesting.

Actually if you are bored with Daoc then I would recommend you try out WoW. The experience will highlight for you what happens when a games company blatantly copies the game design of another very well known game and then tries to pass it off as something which it isnt. After playing WOW you will quickly realise what an effect DAoC has had on the minds of millions. Even the devs working for games companies such as Blizzard cant think beyond Everquest either. Its actually quite disturbing.

Yeah and the only "cause" in the game is the progress of your own characters level.....exactly like Daoc. In other words you arent actually fighting for anything in WoW except the opportunity to ransack the enemies city at the end of the game......but thats the END of the game. What about the rest of it? Oh yeah never mind that because thats the level grinding treadmill part which Blizzard put into the game as a means of charging you a monthly fee for the privelege of going through a timesink to get to the good part of the game (exactly the same as DAoC yet again). Anyway once you've "completed" it then whats the point of sticking around? Another reason why many max level players quit due to boredom.

Like you said though WoW is everything you want in an mmo which ties in perfectly with the line of text above in blue. In other words after people have practically lived in games like DAoC for a year or several and their minds are well and truly conditioned.....or dulled. Mythic played into this and gave birth to WAR.....basicly providing what everyone is already totally familiar with. Unfortunately Mythic did not count on the idea that many people played DAoC for so many years simply because there is nothing else worth playing not because they think its a good game.......and this is why WoW is doing all that well. People left DAoC and came to WoW and then found themselves playing a watered down version of what they have already been playing for years.....so they left and many of them have gone back to DAoC while they continue to wait for a decent mmo to come along.

No the "problem" as you wrongfully identified it is not with the players expectations. Its with the limited games we get to choose from. The players who beat DAoC by climbing the levelling treadmill can do exactly the same thing in WoW. Everything they did in DAoC they can do in WoW. Its as close to DAoC as you can possibly get except players can fight each other to gain levels. Apart from that the game design is the same. Everyone follows a levelling treadmill to reach the holy "endgame". Then they just run around in the endgame content (a battleground or instance) repeating the same thing over and over. Once boredom sets in (finally! Some people are VERY easy to please) they re-roll another character and go through the whole process all over again......or they quit.....which is the option for the more normal person. I mean you wouldnt play a single player game constantly for several years so why would you do it in an online game thats been designed like a single player game and also charges you a monthly fee?

You have no clue what you are talking about. If anything WoW is an exact clone of EQ or DAoC. I made my point by fixing your extremely long and drawn out rants about how WAR is like WoW. Even though WAR is more like a watered down version of DAoC.