Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Death Knight

sorry if this has been asked a lot but what is a good spec for DK. They all look cool to me and I can't decide.

Comments

• Zayne3145Zayne3145 Member Posts: 1,448

Depends on your play style. From what I can gather, the Blood tree tends to lean toward survivability, the Frost tree to tanking and the Unholy tree a mixture of the previous two, plus some kooky extras. I may be wrong, though.

The best thing to do is to experiment and find out what appeals to you most. Unholy is a lot of fun as it has some unique abilities and a pet (should you spec for it). Frost I found a bit boring, and Blood I am currently experimenting with, but has some nice raid buffs.

Try creating a spec of your own, putting points into things that appeal to your play style. The DK is still new and experiencing growing pains, and they will take time to settle.

• ghogielghogiel Member Posts: 166

Originally posted by Timmy2012
    sorry if this has been asked a lot but what is a good spec for DK. They all look cool to me and I can't decide.

You've stopped playing WAR ?

• gan3fgan3f Member UncommonPosts: 274
    Originally posted by Zayne3145

Depends on your play style. From what I can gather, the Blood tree tends to lean toward survivability, the Frost tree to tanking and the Unholy tree a mixture of the previous two, plus some kooky extras. I may be wrong, though.
    The best thing to do is to experiment and find out what appeals to you most. Unholy is a lot of fun as it has some unique abilities and a pet (should you spec for it). Frost I found a bit boring, and Blood I am currently experimenting with, but has some nice raid buffs.
    Try creating a spec of your own, putting points into things that appeal to your play style. The DK is still new and experiencing growing pains, and they will take time to settle.

Wrong wrong wrong wrong wrong wrong.

All 3 trees can dps,tank,and survive.

its just some trees DPS better then others.

since the new patch.. the top dps spec might have changed...

but for pvp I and many others use.. 27/0/44.. tanking you can pretty much tank with any spec aslong as you have the 3 tanking talents from each tree 5/5/5 and then put your points anywhere you want.

but check  elitest jerks webpage it has all you need to know... just google elitest jerks DK builds.

• XasapisXasapis Member RarePosts: 6,337

I would suggest experimenting as much as possible. Respec as much as you want, considering this part of the learning experience of the class. If you want to check possible talent trees you can use either the Blizzard calculator or the following, which includes glyphs:

http://talent.mmo-champion.com/

If you want some more advanced information, you can check the following forums. These forums are a nice pool of knowledge for all things WoW raid related. Here is a link regarding Death Knights:

http://elitistjerks.com/f47/t36638-death_knight_pve_dps/

• Zayne3145Zayne3145 Member Posts: 1,448
    Originally posted by gan3f

Originally posted by Zayne3145

Wrong wrong wrong wrong wrong wrong.

All 3 trees can dps,tank,and survive.

its just some trees DPS better then others.

since the new patch.. the top dps spec might have changed...

but for pvp I and many others use.. 27/0/44.. tanking you can pretty much tank with any spec aslong as you have the 3 tanking talents from each tree 5/5/5 and then put your points anywhere you want.

but check  elitest jerks webpage it has all you need to know... just google elitest jerks DK builds.

Lol, OK I thought I'd be off the mark. It's just from what I've read some trees lean more in a specific direction.

• Timmy2012Timmy2012 Member Posts: 54

no I didn't quit WAR I just forgot my WoW sub was still going so play it when WAR gets boring

• Cbdragon1Cbdragon1 Member Posts: 48

It really depends on what you are looking to do. 

If you are looking for a spec to level with both blood and unholy are great.  Blood has 0 downtime and is great for world PvP, while unholy is amazing to aoe grind through outland and northrend.  Frost is ok but there is a lot more down time and lacks a few of the aoe/dps talents of unholy.

If you are talking about endgame dps unholy is still the best.  Dual wield was nerfed a bit in the last patch but it is still putting out the most damage, while two handed unholy is a little bit behind that.  Frost and Blood 2h spec got a boost in the last patch so they are more competitive dps but below DW and 2h Unholy.

For tanking you should look at Frost.  It is true that all three trees can make good tanks, but frost has the mitigation and avoidence talents.  Unholy is pretty good for aoe tanking and maintaining really good aggro, but I would still spec into the frost tree if my main goal was to tank.

• Timmy2012Timmy2012 Member Posts: 54

so DW puts out the most DPS?

• ghogielghogiel Member Posts: 166

not anymore - mainly due to Killing Machine is changed to ppm (proc per minute).

• Cbdragon1Cbdragon1 Member Posts: 48
    Originally posted by ghogiel

not anymore - mainly due to Killing Machine is changed to ppm (proc per minute).

DW is still the highest dps spec.  It was nerfed, so it isnt far and away the best like it was prior to the patch, but it is still out performing 2h silightly.  This is based on numbers I've seen on Elitest jerks and Blogs such as Skeleton Jack.

I use a 2h unholy spec and preffer it to the DW since the rotations arn't as tight and I dont have to fight with rouges over their precious 1h swords.  It is also the best aoe spec by far.  I can still crack 5k dps on Patchwork.