Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Now I Know Why I Like WAR..

It's like a medeival Team Fortress 2.

Just wish they used that engine....

Comments

• popingaypopingay Member Posts: 33
    Originally posted by orlac

It's like a medeival Team Fortress 2.

Just wish they used that engine....

its all about the WAAAGGGHHHH !!!!

• DataDayDataDay Member UncommonPosts: 1,538

I liked it because it sucked, which is why I dont play it anymore. Im not sure what was worse... getting ripped off by funcom with AoC, or getting Warhammer and falling asleep because the gameplay was lacking on an epic level.

• MagterMagter Member Posts: 289
    Originally posted by Rabenwolf

I liked it because it sucked, which is why I dont play it anymore. Im not sure what was worse... getting ripped off by funcom with AoC, or getting Warhammer and falling asleep because the gameplay was lacking on an epic level.

Thats you opinion...

...but mine is that it is a fun "unfinished" game and I rather support them because even though this game may never be as big of a money guzzling WoW...it will definitely be more fun...and that's my opinion.

Purpose in life is not to gain things, but experience. - Rover64dd

• DataDayDataDay Member UncommonPosts: 1,538
    Originally posted by Magter

Thats you opinion...

...but mine is that it is a fun "unfinished" game and I rather support them because even though this game may never be as big of a money guzzling WoW...it will definitely be more fun...and that's my opinion.

Sadly its my opinion that many guilds I played with felt. They all left. Destro wasnt balanced with Order, classes were not balanced via skills. The whole way the game plays out is bad...its basically a ladder. You go up or down. Tier 1-4. Dont like that ladder, hop onto another ladded and go up one square ..er map at a time. The destro counterpart classes had much more time put into them. Essentially the game was one big one sided battle, and all the armor sets and items were not only lacking, but looked exactly the same. There was no sense of progress what so ever. Farm battle grounds over and over, thats all you could do to lvl up effectively. The whole approach to the game needs to be changed, thats my opinion anyways, and its felt by many... just look at the mass exodus of known pvp guilds. They actually went over to WoW again. One guild leader i talked to said even though he hated WoW, the new xpack has him hooked pvp-wise.

Im mmorpgless right now, Im not going to WoW, but neither will I touch the let down that was WAR either.

• googajoob7googajoob7 Member Posts: 866

i hate to say it but i think the op is spot on warhammer is like team fortress to some extent . but its not as simple as that .lets just say thats the closest game i would liken it too with a lot of rpg elements thrown in . the nice thing about it is you dont have to spend months leveling to reach some fun action content and the class balances are far more even than wow . interestingly people in warhammer consider warcraft too easy and people in warcraft consider warhammer to lack depth . i think people get involved with these online worlds and  eventually cant see the wood for the trees . i m loving warhammer at the moment its a refreshing change from the pve grind of warcraft . but then again you see i m someone that like pvp and warcrafts pvp is dead at the moment and the classes are more unblanced than ever . thats not to say i wont ever play warcraft again . its just at the moment i find it dull .

• jondifooljondifool Member UncommonPosts: 1,143

The reason i like WAR is very simple!

Its so casual friendly !

As a former hardcoreplayer that suddenly got to many real life things to take care off, i really appriciate the easy access to action that is in WAR.

Sure it doesn't have the PvP complexity of Guild wars, or the PvE deepth of WOW, but as a casual player thats not a problem. Because it has plenty.

when i have 20 minutes or occational 2 hours i am immidiatly in action and having fun. WARs take on Scenarios, PQs, quests, tome action, open RvR is just working like a charm for a player with my limited playtime.

But i for sure see the issues for hardcore gamers that wants to invest a lot of time into a game every day.

• MagterMagter Member Posts: 289
    Originally posted by jondifool

The reason i like WAR is very simple!
    Its so casual friendly !
    As a former hardcoreplayer that suddenly got to many real life things to take care off, i really appriciate the easy access to action that is in WAR.
    Sure it doesn't have the PvP complexity of Guild wars, or the PvE deepth of WOW, but as a casual player thats not a problem. Because it has plenty.
    when i have 20 minutes or occational 2 hours i am immidiatly in action and having fun. WARs take on Scenarios, PQs, quests, tome action, open RvR is just working like a charm for a player with my limited playtime.
    But i for sure see the issues for hardcore gamers that wants to invest a lot of time into a game every day.

Add a casual and friendly guild and you get a fun time in WAR.

Purpose in life is not to gain things, but experience. - Rover64dd

• ChenlambaccaChenlambacca Member Posts: 14

the game is a poor man's WoW. This game might have been very good about 5 years ago, but not now.

It tries to do everything that WoW does, which makes it unoriginal. It makes minor changes, such as RvR etc. but none revolutionary. This is an MMO that does nothing new and is nothing more than a short-term passtime.

I do not believe many people can say this is a game that will have them hooked for years and years like other MMOs have. Time to break the mould. WoW-clones will never be better than WoW.

Copy from one, it's plagiarism; Copy from many, it's research

• popingaypopingay Member Posts: 33
    Originally posted by Chenlambacca

the game is a poor man's WoW. This game might have been very good about 5 years ago, but not now.

It tries to do everything that WoW does, which makes it unoriginal. It makes minor changes, such as RvR etc. but none revolutionary. This is an MMO that does nothing new and is nothing more than a short-term passtime.

I do not believe many people can say this is a game that will have them hooked for years and years like other MMOs have. Time to break the mould. WoW-clones will never be better than WoW.

But, I dont play wow, and have no plans (None, zero, Nada) to play it ever again.  I am however a WAR player.

• EvelknievelEvelknievel Member UncommonPosts: 2,964

As one person stated.. WAR is a nice casual game (imo) as well.

I am not looking for a mmo which is going to consume my life.

I can hop in and out and get my fix like CoD and TF2. PvP in this game is very centric, so if you are looking for a MMO PvE game, well there is a shitload to choose from.

I am still enjoying WAR, but taking it in doses and thats a good thing for me.

• LondonMagusLondonMagus Member Posts: 700
    Originally posted by popingay

But, I dont play wow, and have no plans (None, zero, Nada) to play it ever again.  I am however a WAR player.

Same here, except that I have never played WoW at all as it simply does not appeal to me in the slightest.

I have been playing WAR since launch though & having great fun doing so.

If you can't "Have your cake & eat it too", then how can "The proof of the pudding be in the eating"?

• firecowfirecow Member Posts: 26

Thats you opinion...

Sadly its my opinion that many guilds I played with felt. They all left. Destro wasnt balanced with Order, classes were not balanced via skills. The whole way the game plays out is bad...its basically a ladder. You go up or down. Tier 1-4. Dont like that ladder, hop onto another ladded and go up one square ..er map at a time. The destro counterpart classes had much more time put into them. Essentially the game was one big one sided battle, and all the armor sets and items were not only lacking, but looked exactly the same. There was no sense of progress what so ever. Farm battle grounds over and over, thats all you could do to lvl up effectively. The whole approach to the game needs to be changed, thats my opinion anyways, and its felt by many... just look at the mass exodus of known pvp guilds. They actually went over to WoW again. One guild leader i talked to said even though he hated WoW, the new xpack has him hooked pvp-wise.

Im mmorpgless right now, Im not going to WoW, but neither will I touch the let down that was WAR either.

Many people have already said long ago that WoW players will ALWAYS return to wow even if they grumble abotu it. Their reasons for picking up another game will never gel with the reality and the reality is that it was never their intention to really leave wow, which is why they will NEVER like another game unless it's a carbon copy.

Even a game as solid as LOTRO had many WoW players flocking back to WoW because "that new game sucked lol".  LOTRO did not suck and is even better now than ever, but you still won't get the WoW people to play it; despite LOTRO being a superior and more casual friendly game that also gives you more value for yoru money spent.

Just because many people share a certain opinion doesn't make it fact or fact-based-on-concensus.

• sallan75sallan75 Member Posts: 16

WoW is the Nerf Arena version of Everquest. WoW sucks complete balls compared to EQ in its prime.

• GaryMGaryM Member Posts: 244
    Originally posted by firecow

Thats you opinion...

Many people have already said long ago that WoW players will ALWAYS return to wow even if they grumble abotu it. Their reasons for picking up another game will never gel with the reality and the reality is that it was never their intention to really leave wow, which is why they will NEVER like another game unless it's a carbon copy.

Even a game as solid as LOTRO had many WoW players flocking back to WoW because "that new game sucked lol".  LOTRO did not suck and is even better now than ever, but you still won't get the WoW people to play it; despite LOTRO being a superior and more casual friendly game that also gives you more value for yoru money spent.

Just because many people share a certain opinion doesn't make it fact or fact-based-on-concensus.

LOL, this matches my experience completely. WoW isn't a game, it's a religion!

• Originally posted by Chenlambacca

So WoW has quickly regenerating action point and not a huge pool of slowly regenerating mana? 

I am no WAR fan, but people who try to say its just WoW are just making themselves look bad.  The combat in WAR is closer to City of Heroes.  Action points are very similar to CoH Endurance + Stamina.  The effects like knockback and knockdown are obviously straight from that game.

WoW has nothing like that and these are major aspects of the combat, yet people still insist on this tired and blatantly foolish meme.

The second half of WAR may be hollow for PvP and a tiresome slog to level in T3.  Yes is has stupid gear sets that are pointless cockblocks.  IMO they did a poor job of reconciling a CoH style combat mechanic with and EQ/DAOC style of giving abilities.

Fine.  It has geat sets and instances like WoW.  But ignoring fundamental aspects of gameplay and pretending they are the same as WoW is simply assinine.  I am tired of it.  You want to go call something a WoW clone (which is stupid to begin with) then do it to LOTRO (a game to which I have a sub).  WAR is substantial and important differences.  Because guess what WoW cloners?  Having a fundamental combat mechanic be different has far reaching consequences.  If you didn't play enough to realize it or are just dense.  Then you just look stupid.

I am tired of this crap.  People need to get a clue.  This WoW clone stuff getting out of hand.   Stop putting it out there, you are making yourself look dumb.  Because there is enough in WAR that is CLEARLY at the very least from another game (multiple games in fact) and these are not only NOT WOW but are obviously and clearly no WOW clones.  CoH was released before WoW and play VERY different.  Its combat concerns turn out quite difrferent and are far more in line with WAR.

• DouhkDouhk Member Posts: 1,019
    Originally posted by firecow

I hope this was just a clever use of sarcasm, otherwise it completely negates the statement.

image If only SW:TOR could be this epic...

• xeniarxeniar Member UncommonPosts: 805

Why do people always try to compare the games? You can hardly compare them what makes or breaks an MMO is the feeling you have when u play.

What i mean with feeling is atmosphere, ive played alot of MMo's EQOA 3 years WoW 3 years Warhammer 2 months now, EQ2 a fair bit asswell and alot of other unknown smaller MMO's all these mmo's have a specific atmosphere.

(well over 6 years ago) EQOA my first 3d MMO played had a, wich i still think an unrivalled feeling with epic dragons big ice giants etc, i seriously sat down ontop of a hill to watch the sunrise because of its beauty. The thing tho i liked msot about this game is the grouping system. Not that there was a special system but u needed a group to kill higher level mobs (yes it was a grind on the last 5 levels) but at leats it was a fun grind because you ahd 3 other people to chatter with the whole time. 

Then WoW came out. EQOA was a dieing game so i and a m8 of mine decided to switch over. WoW had so much more to offer then EQOA PvP Mounts it looked more smoother and the enviroment had its own feeling the feeling of being part of a bigger nation. No longer was i in a 400 player based community it was far bigger then that and well balanced. Outdoor PvP fights was something i wasnt used to and made alot of fun. Burning crusade expansion gave WoW the feeling of being a even bigger universe. Large Maps balanced Outdoor PvP not a bald spot in the entire land. evrywhere u looked something was going on, they made 2 screwups in my opinion is changing the raids from 40man  to 25 man 40 people are hard to coordinate 25 people make it alot easyer and raiding was alot easyer exept a few tards here and there and the arena system you no longer had the choise to casually PvP or be part of a big group on a battlefield,  instead of this arena was the way to go wich was intense next to raiding i diddnt like more intensity and paying attention so imo they failed by deleting the old system. 

Wrath of the Lich King. now here all things go bad, Yes they made the enviroment really epic and the feeling in Northrend is awsome but evrything goes casual evryone is able to do the exact same thign you no longer are better then your next person, no cauz he has done the exact same things. No more player fame like in the old days, Class balance is tottally screwed up and PvE damage etc.. the way they go now with making evry class being able to do the same etc.. sorry Blizzard but i resing.

EQ2 has a epic feeling on it, realistic enviroment, great races, alot of class variety and this game imo is just great the only problem i see is you need a steady buddy for it. i like it having companions wich u need to do stuff with but you need to have them if you dont it gets hard later on. (tho this might be just me)

Warhammer, I have to say in advance. when  WotLK came out i switched over but i recently quit WoW all together and now i have returned. I started warhammer being an Black Orc (i always play a tankclass EQOA Paladin, WoW warrior, EQ2 Guardian) logged in and imidiatly got the feeling that i was in a war, battered stuff and warcamps evrywhere orcs clashing into dwarfs and orcs being catapulted onto a castle, all looked really nice. The second area around the beach only increased this feeling and altho i might not be very high yet this feeling is what i get allover the place.

During all this somewhere i tried out  LOTRO asswell. But when i logged in i felt nothing at all the enviroment did not emit a distint feeling wich a MMO needs to ahve so after a few mobs and a few levels i quickly decided to just leave and never play it again (thank god it was BETA)

So what im trying to say.. :P You cant compare these games really they all have there own enviroment, their own image wich attracts one player and repels another. Play where you feel best.

and if anyone wants to ever hangout in warhammer (if im online tho , very very bussy atm :P )

Karak Hirn:              lvl 6 Dwarf ironbreaker Durazkaraz

Karak eight peaks: lvl 24 Black Orc Duraz, or lvl 7 squig herder Grun

• neller2000neller2000 Member Posts: 130
    Originally posted by xeniar

Why do people always try to compare the games? You can hardly compare them what makes or breaks an MMO is the feeling you have when u play.

You affectively actually answered your own question. People playing WAR don't feel like they're playing WoW. Not in the least bit of way at all.

You can't compare WAR or any other newly released MMORPG to what was the state of WoW when it launched years back. You always have to compare to current state. Most newcomers to the genre or even just fans of perhaps WAR, many of which have been playing WoW, expect a high quality launch product, which obvious to all now was not at all the case.

Just to clarify, most people who came to WAR were already playing some other game or some other MMORPG. The current state of WAR and also the foreseeable state of WAR months to come doesn't even come close to comparing to many other established MMORPG's. Which is why you always have to compare WAR to current bestsellers and great MMORPG's.

Consumers today looking for a replacement for WoW or any other MMORPG they might be playing aren't going to go from decent or great to garbage. And sadly WAR IS garbage or else you wouldn't have seen a 550.000 subscriber loss in 2 months. Which is most likely much higher now.

• xeniarxeniar Member UncommonPosts: 805
    Originally posted by neller2000

Originally posted by xeniar

You affectively actually answered your own question. People playing WAR don't feel like they're playing WoW. Not in the least bit of way at all.

I know i did. It was more of a statement really that people should look at the other side of a game not about how it performs, but how the enviroment is how the game makes you feel the first time when playing. Yes it gets abit old after awhile but a similair feeling would hit you with evry new released content wich makes you a part of that world.