Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Game play question / concern..

nubadaknubadak Member Posts: 150

Will this game be like Pirates of the Burning Sea were most of our time is spent viewing our ships from a crappy sid meirs perspective and only get to see our avatars when we go into an instance? Or will this be a large seemless world with only a few instances were we can chose to zoom into our ships avatars and do things with other players in realtime?

How heavily instanced is this game at the moment?

Anyone know?

Comments

• Shard101Shard101 Member Posts: 479
    Originally posted by nubadak

Will this game be like Pirates of the Burning Sea were most of our time is spent viewing our ships from a crappy sid meirs perspective and only get to see our avatars when we go into an instance? Or will this be a large seemless world with only a few instances were we can chose to zoom into our ships avatars and do things with other players in realtime?
    Anyone know?

I would not doubt this 1 bit.

Cryptic is already screwing the game up. I expect it to be in SOE's subscription bargain bin 4 months after release.

• BrenelaelBrenelael Member UncommonPosts: 3,821

Anyone know?

First off don't listen to Shard... one feature he wanted (player crews) has been confirmed not in the game at launch so now the whole game sucks according to him.

To honestly answer your question we just don't know at this point. They have stated that the game will have instances but how much of the game will be instanced no one knows at this point. They have also stated that the game will have plenty of non-instanced content as well. What the actual instanced to non-instanced ratio is would be anyone's guess at this point. Judging from Cryptic's previous games however I would have to guess that most of the game will be non-instanced with only some mission related areas instanced. This formula has worked well for them in the past so I would expect them to stick with it.

Bren

while(horse==dead)
    {
    beat();
    }

• TheGrueTheGrue Member Posts: 38

Well i've been following this game pretty close (sice Perpetual) and i was always under the impression that it'll either play like EVE (behind the ship view with options to move the camera to pretty much any point) or like the older Star Trek games like Armada (rear camera, fixed)

If i had to take a guess i would say that the avatar will be much like EVE as well, your character pick will be displayed but it's mostly your ship until you go down to a planet, in which case you will be able to see your character and your crew and play in probably a turn-based style of combat.

Note that this is all speculation on my end, while information is leaking out bit by bit it's still pretty hard to really tell how they're going to go, but your questions are valid and many are wondering the same.

• nubadaknubadak Member Posts: 150

Thanks,

I think many of us are expecting a free form universe to explorer with some instancing but the same demographic (its my belif) are worried by the potential to have a heavily instanced word. Typicly a heavyily instanced world has far less realism and emersion, and I think with a title like this one it ALL about emersion.

Nubs 8)-

• BrenelaelBrenelael Member UncommonPosts: 3,821

Thanks,
    I think many of us are expecting a free form universe to explorer with some instancing but the same demographic (its my belif) are worried by the potential to have a heavily instanced word. Typicly a heavyily instanced world has far less realism and emersion, and I think with a title like this one it ALL about emersion.

Nubs 8)-

Well to be perfectly honest if STO is too heavily instanced it would kill the game for me as well. I love games with a large open game world to explore and where you can meet other players by chance in the out of the way places of the world. Instancing is why I couldn't play GW for very long... It just felt like a sub-par single player game to me. The feeling I get from what little that has been said about this so far is that it will have instances but everything won't be instanced. This is good enough for me if it turns out to be true.

BTW... The heavy handed instancing in PotBS is why that game lasted about a day on my hard drive as well so I know where you're coming from on this. It was another MMO that just felt like a sub-par single player game to me as well. It wouldn't have been so bad if the instancing didn't happen every time you stepped off the dock to do a mission. They should have made it so you at least had to travel to the mission instance. This is how I think mission instances will be handled in STO... You will have to travel to a planet, spaceship, starbase or whatever in the open world (Galaxy quadrant) and you will beam into the instance to begin the mission. This I wouldn't mind if they aren't the bulk of the game.

Bren

while(horse==dead)
    {
    beat();
    }