Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Captain or not to Captain...that is the question.

TheGrueTheGrue Member Posts: 38

I was reading through a few posts here as I've been looking forward to this game since Perpetual had it, and the topic seems to keep coming up about everybody being a captain, usually followed closely by "well lots of people would want to be captain" or some such.

So i figured we would do a little roll call and see how many of us would like to be Captain if we had the choice.

I for one wouldn't want it, it's Chief Medical Officer for me, reason:

McCoy got his fair share of alien goodness, granted they sometimes tried to kill him or other nasty things...but it's a small price to pay.

Being able to string "Dammit, I'm a doctor not a <insert random string of words here> in random sentences.

No matter what the doctors are exposed too, they always survive.

I can say "He's dead Jim" and get away with it.

Nobody is sassy with the Doctor except the Captain

I can whine about going into transporters and nobody minds.

Witty one-liners are included in my /emotes by default.

I can smuggle in illegal hooch and nobody cares.

I get to make fun of Vulcan's anytime i want.

The Captain gives only the doctor the cool nickname.

Nobody ever tells the doctor to "Make it so"

I can get promoted and not worry about all the crap that comes with it.

Comments

• spider883spider883 Member Posts: 10

chief engineer for me.  

• neorandomneorandom Member Posts: 1,681

chief of security/weapons officer, i wanna blow #&@ up but not be held liable for it  let the captain take the heat if i over do it hehe

• mrprogguymrprogguy Member Posts: 53

Of course, I've thought about being the Captain, or the Exec, or the Science Officer, or even the Chief Engineer.

But what I really want to be is...a lumberjack!  Leaping from tree to tree as they float down the mighty rivers of British Columbia! The Fir! The Larch! The Redwood! The mighty Scots Pine! The plucky little Aspen! The great limping rude tree of Nigeria! The smell of fresh-cut timber! The crash of mighty trees! With my best gal by my side, we'd sing, SING...

Arguing with me will not make you right.

• Starbuck1771Starbuck1771 Member UncommonPosts: 375
    Originally posted by neorandom

chief of security/weapons officer, i wanna blow #&@ up but not be held liable for it  let the captain take the heat if i over do it hehe

Same here. close third and fourth would be cheif engineer & science officer .

I dont want to be shafted by some idiotic system set up by someone who clearly didn't catch the sense of community on crewed ships in the actual shows, movies, and books.  Jack Emmert will be a huge disapointment if he forces everyone to be a captain.

• Starbuck1771Starbuck1771 Member UncommonPosts: 375
    Originally posted by TheGrue

I was reading through a few posts here as I've been looking forward to this game since Perpetual had it, and the topic seems to keep coming up about everybody being a captain, usually followed closely by "well lots of people would want to be captain" or some such.
     So i figured we would do a little roll call and see how many of us would like to be Captain if we had the choice.
     I for one wouldn't want it, it's Chief Medical Officer for me, reason:
     McCoy got his fair share of alien goodness, granted they sometimes tried to kill him or other nasty things...but it's a small price to pay.
     Being able to string "Dammit, I'm a doctor not a <insert random string of words here> in random sentences.
    No matter what the doctors are exposed too, they always survive.
    I can say "He's dead Jim" and get away with it.
    Nobody is sassy with the Doctor except the Captain
    I can whine about going into transporters and nobody minds.
    Witty one-liners are included in my /emotes by default.
    I can smuggle in illegal hooch and nobody cares.
    I get to make fun of Vulcan's anytime i want.
    The Captain gives only the doctor the cool nickname.
    Nobody ever tells the doctor to "Make it so"
    I can get promoted and not worry about all the crap that comes with it.

Why didnt you insert a poll? I added one!

• vvistovvvvistovv Member Posts: 88

of course i'd want to be captain.

"number 1, i order you to take a number 2"   

• mrprogguymrprogguy Member Posts: 53
    Originally posted by vvistovv

of course i'd want to be captain.
    "number 1, i order you to take a number 2"   

If the exec isn't human, you might have to order them to take a #3.

Arguing with me will not make you right.

• ElsaboltsElsabolts Member RarePosts: 3,476

What ever makes Cryptic the most money in the shortest period of time with the least ammount of game content they can launch.

" Life Liberty and the Pursuit of Those Who  Would Threaten It "
                                            MAGA
  • dirtyklingondirtyklingon Member Posts: 158

i'm glad i won't be stuck doing some stupid mini game as ensign ricky the conn officer.

KERPLAH!

• LordCaptainLordCaptain Member Posts: 178
    Originally posted by Elsabolts

What ever makes Cryptic the most money in the shortest period of time with the least ammount of game content they can launch.

Like all other MMOs!

• ArclanArclan Member UncommonPosts: 1,550

For me it would be a toss up between engineering and medical doctor. They could do levels as in Planetside; you can level up your character skills OR you can level up your command skills. It'd be fun to captain some times and then to engineer other times. In Old EQ, there was so much down time that we spent a lot of it joking around and chatting. Very strong friendships formed. I see no reason why this couldn't be the case on a ship. You don't need to be in combat 24/7. I've seen this 24/7 model in Vanguard and POBS and it's fun..for about a week.

Build a game that brings players to interact and it will last; build a game that gives players no reason to interact; and most of them won't; and soon the game will be a ghost town.

Luckily, i don't need you to like me to enjoy video games. -nariusseldon.
    In F2P I think it's more a case of the game's trying to play the player's. -laserit

• WolfdorWolfdor Member Posts: 123

I was looking forward to playing engineer of my guilds starship.  I don't want to be forced to play as Captain PewPewPew.  Choices are gooooood in MMORPG's, imagine playing WoW and you're forced to play only as the Warrior.

• neorandomneorandom Member Posts: 1,681

seems theyre more going for the choices you make as captain and how you outfit your ship making you a warrior or dps or other class, everyones a captain of a ship but they have backgrounds and equiptment changes, more shields more weapons faster engines stronger armor all possible to have different setups and then if your tacticle in backgroung maybe you do more dmg and engineers have tougher ships and science officers are scouts ect ect, just because everyone has their own ship does not mean everyone is a clone of everyone else.  the absence of evidence is not evidence of absence!