Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Dwarf Slayer on the way?

Comments

• reploidxreploidx Member UncommonPosts: 320
    Originally posted by popinjay

Originally posted by reploidx

Not all slayers wear pants, some do wear shirt and pants. They could be give cloth "armor".

But not all Slayers just go out just to die, they want to fight and look for that "perfect fight" Someone mentioned they are looking for "Epic" battles, which is true. All they want to do is fight, and will fight to survive, and as they kill they become more insane.

This is taken from a source page of Slayers about the Daemon Slayer, which is the highest "rank" of Slayer:

Suddenly, a blood-curdling, hideous scream rent the air. It came from the other side of the now broken outpost doors. The two eternal antagonists halted their fight and turned to see from what creature's throat was such a sound produced. Amid the broken doors, stood a froth-mouthed, wild-eyed, heavily tattooed Dwarf with fat-spiked, orange-dyed hair. As Durak studied the Dwarf he noted a large double-edged waraxe and heavy, seemingly ritualized, scarring over the Dwarf's body and face. Some of these scars looked as though they were produced by a large clawed beast.

"By Grungni's bloody bones" was all Durak could mutter as the crazed Dwarf hurdled himself at the Orcs. The fight was short, frenzied, and bloody. In moments, the Black Orcs and Orc Boyz were hacked beyond recognition. The gore-covered Dwarf stood still then and stared wildly at the perspiring Durak. After a moment of surveying death incarnate, Durak thought he saw a glimmer of recognition, an observance of kinship, in the eyes of the scarred and tattooed Dwarf. With the brief observation, the lone Dwarf turned on his heels and departed without a word.

"By our clan ancestors, Sergeant, I never saw a Giant Slayer fight so viciously and with such speed! It bloody well seemed as if he were possessed by a Daemon!" sputtered Brokk, still somewhat stunned and in awe of what his eyes just beheld.

"That was not a Giant Slayer, Brokk," replied Durak with a hint of reverence in his voice. "When my eyes first beheld him, I recognized the ritual scarring which would mark him as a legendary Dragon Slayer. I had thought that none still existed until now. But the ferocity of his attack and the mutilation of the Greenskins is more than anything I ever heard attributed to Dragon Slayers. The only thing that fits is a mythical Daemon Slayer. Until now, I had thought that type of Dwarf only existed as a figment of the clan elder's tales. Those stories would mark that Dwarf as a Daemon Slayer."

I guess another way of adding "armor" would be the scars and Tattoos, as all scarring and tattooing would be self inflicted and from the creatures the dwarf faught.

exactly... you can bet this is a much better alternative to full armor in Mythic's eyes depending on how much GW lets them have liberty, although I doubt they'll go this way with the scarring. (how do you get a scar drop from a gold bag?) Tattoos make somewhat more sense in that it's applied to the body using materials (dyes or whatever). They could be magic wards.. but I don't recall hearing Slayers with magical abilities... perhaps a friendly mage puts them on?

Don't worry, Mythic already figured out what type of armor they will have. I guess we can just be glad that in the novel, they didn't have him with a toothpick in his mouth. That one I'm sure would be a terrible loot drop.

Nice excerpt, btw.

Thanks, i played in the Fantasy Roleplay for a few years and a huge Warhammer dwarf fan :D

But the scarring wouldn't be a drop of course, the tattoos defenatly. But slayers usually have Tattoos of Runes, nothing really magical, but they are resistant to magics.

http://user.cs.tu-berlin.de/~rossi/Wfrp/slayers.html

Here is a link to the excerpt i gave. It gives the story and what Dwarven Slayers do in the Warhammer world.

• AbisbowaAbisbowa Member UncommonPosts: 91

The Dwarf Slayer is all well and good, how about the Greenskin career? I hope they change the name to Berserker or something. I don't like Choppa, it's a weapon type not a career. 

• sanders01sanders01 Member Posts: 1,357
    Originally posted by Abisbowa

The Dwarf Slayer is all well and good, how about the Greenskin career? I hope they change the name to Berserker or something. I don't like Choppa, it's a weapon type not a career. 

"GET TO DA CHOPPA!"

Currently restarting World of Warcraft :/

• Capn23Capn23 Member Posts: 1,529
    Originally posted by sanders01

"GET TO DA CHOPPA!"

All that needs to be said

/thread

----------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Guys! I'm hopelessly lost in a mountain of mole hills! Them damn moles!

• VarkingVarking Member UncommonPosts: 542

They could just call it a Savage Orc and load it up with similar armor to a Slayer as well as tattoos.  That being said, the name will likely remain the Choppa. Not that I haven't been leaking correct information about the Slayer being in for the past three months or anything like that...

• AbisbowaAbisbowa Member UncommonPosts: 91

Dwarf Slayers do wear armor. See It's a small picture but the dwarf in the lower left hand corner is a slayer and he looks to be wearing studded leather armor. 

• popinjaypopinjay Member Posts: 6,539

Dwarf Slayers do wear armor. See It's a small picture but the dwarf in the lower left hand corner is a slayer and he looks to be wearing studded leather armor. 

O'key dokey.

Originally posted by Varking

Slayer wearing leather
    This Slayer mini just looks too cool to not link
    I know this is hard to see but he is wearing some sort of chain around his shoulders
    Different kind of armbands, wristbands, boots, belt, and pants for the Slayer
    Interesting figures
    Claws?!!
    Shoulder armor likely to be in game
    Just a really BA Slayer
    Only the Slayer King wears this stuff but still

I could go and provide text from various books dealing with the Slayer, but unless you own the books as well, would you really believe me?

I love Gotrek, and i love William King's novels about him and Felix, he makes the Slayers sound so badass. And the chains is a slayer using chains as his weapon of choice. They don't all have to use axes, they just pick up something and go to town on whatever is in their way

I could go and provide text from various books dealing with the Slayer, but unless you own the books as well, would you really believe me?

If you mean me, sure. Text is always more believable than artist's redentions anyday.

BTW: The one pic with the lioncloth looked liked what I'd expect a Slayer from lore to be like the most from what I've read about them. The others not so much, just nice renditions. The pirate Slayer with the parrot.. why would a Slayer hide his missing eye? Wouldn't think he was shy about a missing eye, lol. Guess thats just a mockup for ideas...

Page 53 of Tales of the Old World, under the story of Ancesteral Honour after Grimli had sworn the Slayer Oath and returned to the bar;

"It wasn't exactly a fond farewell when Grimli told Skorri that he was leaving. The old dwarf looked him up and down and then took his arm and led him into the small room next to the kitchen which served as the tavern owner's bed chamber, store room and office. He pulled a battered chest from under the bed and opened the lid on creaking hinges. Delving inside, he pulled out a hammer which he laid reverentially on the bed, followed by a glistening coat of chain-mail. "

He goes into some talking at this point in the next paragraph, followed by him equipping the chain mail armor and hammer he was given and spoke of how the chain mail fit almost perfectly, as if it were made for him.

Slayer wearing leather
    This Slayer mini just looks too cool to not link
    I know this is hard to see but he is wearing some sort of chain around his shoulders
    Different kind of armbands, wristbands, boots, belt, and pants for the Slayer
    Interesting figures
    Claws?!!
    Shoulder armor likely to be in game
    Just a really BA Slayer
    Only the Slayer King wears this stuff but still

I love Gotrek, and i love William King's novels about him and Felix, he makes the Slayers sound so badass. And the chains is a slayer using chains as his weapon of choice. They don't all have to use axes, they just pick up something and go to town on whatever is in their way

Oh this I know. You are speaking to somebody who is heavily into the RP Game, the Quest game, the TT game, as well as owning just about all the Army books and novels. I am huge into the lore.

• Ascension08Ascension08 Member Posts: 1,980

They could just call it a Savage Orc and load it up with similar armor to a Slayer as well as tattoos.  That being said, the name will likely remain the Choppa. Not that I haven't been leaking correct information about the Slayer being in for the past three months or anything like that...

I've heard people saying that a Savage Orc would make more sense as a Melee DPS class, since (not sure about this but...) some said that Choppas were actually weaker than Black Orcs.

Still though, Slayers...woot

--------------------------------------
    A human and an Elf get captured by Skaven. The rat-men are getting ready to shoot the first hostage with Dwarf-made guns when he yells, "Earthquake!" The naturally nervous Skaven run and hide from the imaginary threat. He escapes. The Skaven regroup and bring out the Elf. Being very smart, the Elf has figured out what to do. When the Skaven get ready to shoot, the Elf, in order to scare them, yells, "Fire!"

Order of the White Border.

Originally posted by Ascension08

I've heard people saying that a Savage Orc would make more sense as a Melee DPS class, since (not sure about this but...) some said that Choppas were actually weaker than Black Orcs.

Still though, Slayers...woot

The Choppa is just a run of the mill Orc, according to Mythic "lore", which would inherently make them weaker than a Black Orc. But then again, Black Orcs are supposed to be the elite of the Orcs. Savage Orcs mirror Slayers almost perfectly in terms of style, armor, and tattoos.

Page 53 of Tales of the Old World, under the story of Ancesteral Honour after Grimli had sworn the Slayer Oath and returned to the bar;
    "It wasn't exactly a fond farewell when Grimli told Skorri that he was leaving. The old dwarf looked him up and down and then took his arm and led him into the small room next to the kitchen which served as the tavern owner's bed chamber, store room and office. He pulled a battered chest from under the bed and opened the lid on creaking hinges. Delving inside, he pulled out a hammer which he laid reverentially on the bed, followed by a glistening coat of chain-mail. "
    He goes into some talking at this point in the next paragraph, followed by him equipping the chain mail armor and hammer he was given and spoke of how the chain mail fit almost perfectly, as if it were made for him.

This is some interesting reading. Why is it generally assumed that Slayers don't wear armor? Everything I've read in research points to that fact as a rule that's non-negotiable. But you've got passages (albeit scarce) that says they could even equip chain mail.

Is this from a different line of books or something? Key question is, if a Slayer wearing chain walked into a group of other slayers wearing rags, what's the deal? Do they accept him and train him? Or do they shun (possibly) kill him. Is it that Slayers just aren't gone into a lot in detail, so there's no real record what they might actually wear?

Sorry to ask so many questions, but this is pretty fascinating.

This is some interesting reading. Why is it generally assumed that Slayers don't wear armor? Everything I've read in research points to that fact as a rule that's non-negotiable. But you've got passages (albeit scarce) that says they could even equip chain mail.

Is this from a different line of books or something? Key question is, if a Slayer wearing chain walked into a group of other slayers wearing rags, what's the deal? Do they accept him and train him? Or do they shun (possibly) kill him. Is it that Slayers just aren't gone into a lot in detail, so there's no real record what they might actually wear?

Sorry to ask so many questions, but this is pretty fascinating.

Its frowned upon for a slayer to wear lots of Armor. Heavy plate mail would be an even further insult to his honor. Chain mail is light, and can't really stop an well placed attack. Also, the slayers don't really train others, they just pick up something and go.

So they could wear chainmail, but they choose to wear next to nothing.

Aye, it isn't part of the norm, but also other than Gotrek there isn't a ton written on the Slayers.

As further evidence of the Slayer pops up I will continue to post. A member of the WHA forums looked into the actual client under the .myp files and found abilities and such for the Slayer;

1456 ; TEST Slayer Spec Abilities^n

1457 Rune of Absorption^n

1458 Fierceness^n

1459 Rampage^n

1460 Cleft In Twain^n

1461 Devastate^n

1462 Spellbreaker^n

1463 No Escape^n

1464 Shatter Limb^n

1465 Inevitable Doom^n

1471 ; TEST Slayer Tactics^n

1472 Wild Gambit^n

1473 Hastened Punishment^n

1474 Honor Restored^n

1475 Slaughter^n

1476 Got No Time For You^n

1477 Push For More^n

1478 The Bigger They Are...^n

1479 Embrace the Pain^n

1481 ; TEST Slayer Spec Tactics^n

1482 Power Through^n

1483 Fierce Might^n

1484 Short Temper^n

1485 Determination^n

1486 Violent Impacts^n

1487 Doomseeker^n

1488 Takin' Chances^n

1489 Runic Blessings^n

1490 Accuracy^n

1492 ; TEST Slayer Morale^n

1493 Untouchable^n

1494 Doom Seeker^n

1495 Grievous Harm^n

1498 ; TEST Slayer Spec Morale^n

1499 Unleashed Power^n

1500 Deadly Determination^n

1501 Looks like a Challenge^n

• StinkyPitsStinkyPits Member Posts: 123

So can anyone confirm this rumor about the Slayers being released?  I hear the buzz, but the evidence is weak.  Would be awesome though...

• 0theri0n0theri0n Member UncommonPosts: 114

most servers i play on have a low order population anyway...a slayer maybe would help even out the servers.... DESTRO OWNS!!!!

Originally posted by StinkyPits

So can anyone confirm this rumor about the Slayers being released?  I hear the buzz, but the evidence is weak.  Would be awesome though...

See my post above yours and you will see Mythic added skills for them for some reason. We will find out on the 29th for sure though.

Also, the slayers don't really train others, they just pick up something and go.

This is what I mean by conflicting info on Slayers. I found this bit on them as well.

"Younger Slayers often band together, sometimes under the tutelage of an older master, so that they can learn the arts of monster slaying".

This implies they get training, which would make sense as without armor, you'd have to depend on your skill and abilities. But if you were, say, a dwarf from a family of brewmasters and made a stinky beer that bankrupted the clan, you'd go do the slayer thing. But since you were a master brewer first, your fighting skills would be naturally lacking, so you'd need some type of help or you'd die too fast. Now, although that's the point, you'd try not to die as is a dwarves' nature so you'd want to improve your skills through training.

For an obvious non-lore person as myself, this is slightly confusing.^^

Aye, it isn't part of the norm, but also other than Gotrek there isn't a ton written on the Slayers.

I think this answers anymore questions I would have about Slayer lore. It seems they are free to do quite a bit in the absence of written text and guidelines on the class, which is perfectly fine.

Thx Varking.

Originally posted by StinkyPits

Yes.

Also, the slayers don't really train others, they just pick up something and go.

This is what I mean by conflicting info on Slayers. I found this bit on them as well.

"Younger Slayers often band together, sometimes under the tutelage of an older master, so that they can learn the arts of monster slaying".

This implies they get training, which would make sense as without armor, you'd have to depend on your skill and abilities. But if you were, say, a dwarf from a family of brewmasters and made a stinky beer that bankrupted the clan, you'd go do the slayer thing. But since you were a master brewer first, your fighting skills would be naturally lacking, so you'd need some type of help or you'd die too fast. Now, although that's the point, you'd try not to die as is a dwarves' nature so you'd want to improve your skills through training.

It is rare for a Slayer to become one without training. The quote you are getting that from is from official writings about the Slayers. Even in the book I was quoting from above, Tales of the Old World, a Slayer walks into the bar socializing with Grimli who helps him eventually decide to become a Slayer. He ends up showing him around and gives him some training as well.

It is rare for a Slayer to become one without training. The quote you are getting that from is from official writings about the Slayers. Even in the book I was quoting from above, Tales of the Old World, a Slayer walks into the bar socializing with Grimli who helps him eventually decide to become a Slayer. He ends up showing him around and gives him some training as well.

That's what I was lead to believe.. thx.^^

BTW: Are you playing WAR now Vark? If so, what's your take on how lore was handled? You obviously know your lore.