Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

USB 3.0 and gaming?

luckypotatoluckypotato Member Posts: 251

So.. as most of us know USB 3.0 is comming out some time this year/next year

Should people wait out for USB 3.0 for faster speeds, or should a gamer just go ahead and buy the best stuff on the market.

(Btw if you dont know, USB 3.0 has faster transfer speeds than predicessor USB's. This could affect things such as mouse, keyboard, external hard drives, flash drives, and many other items)

Comments

• luckypotatoluckypotato Member Posts: 251

Am i the only one asking this question? HeH >>

• BaxslashBaxslash Member UncommonPosts: 237

Its a tough call, so far, no Motherboard makers have started at hinting that USB 3.0 will be on any of their boards.

But, other than that, I've already made up my mind to wait until close to Oct./Nov. to putting together my next big gaming rig.

• KordeshKordesh Member Posts: 1,715

As far as gaming goes, especially MMO gaming, USB3.0 isn't going to make a lick of difference. Even in FPS or other twitch gaming, 3.0 isn't going to suddenly "open the floodgates for ultrasenstive insta-pwn devices!". Unless you have USB memory stick that's being used as ram and actually was designed to take advantage of usb3.0 (unlikely, I don't even think there are any on the market yet) there's really not going to be any direct gaming related use I could possibly think of. 

In addition, it might be noted that USB3.0 isn't likely to see actual hardware implementation for a bit. 

http://arstechnica.com/news.ars/post/20081117-usb-3-0-specification-finalized-devices-in-2010.html

So if you're the type of person who buys a computer once every few years, maybe waiting another if you can might be a good idea. If you customize your system and upgrade your own components, I wouldn't hold your breath. 

Bans a perma, but so are sigs in necro posts.

EAT ME MMORPG.com!

• BaxslashBaxslash Member UncommonPosts: 237

True

The comp I've got now is almost 4 years old from the time I bought it new, so, I want to put together my own this time, instead of pre-fab, mucked up Dell.

So far, leaning towards a AMD3 board, and, maybe one of the new 950s when the market settles down a little after release.

• QuizzicalQuizzical Member LegendaryPosts: 25,355

Even if a keyboard or mouse uses USB, the extra speed from USB 3.0 won't make a difference.  It could make a difference if you're using a USB flash drive for memory, but just getting normal internal system memory would make a bigger difference than USB 3.0.

• luckypotatoluckypotato Member Posts: 251

Ahh i see.. well ive decided to not wait now :] thanks for the responce

Also: USB 3.0 might have a reverse-effect on gaming. (apparently) USB 3.0 will be CPU intensive..and we all know what that means. (*prime example was vista*)

• hvc801hvc801 Member Posts: 987

I don't get it.

I dont think I use USB for any of my computer hardware, except for maybe my printer and my phone port.

keyboard / mouse - ps/2

hard drive - SATA

and screw flash memory, just get a regular ram upgrade, and if you cant, then get a new motherboard, and if you cant, get a better job.

Dont even waste your time waiting for a USB drive to come out, just get a newer better rig.

What if Paul Revere was like the boy who cried wolf....?

Originally posted by Hazmal

What does he say when people ask what he did? "My mommy was irking me yo - I wanted to keep pwning nubs on my xbox, so I roughed her up with a hardshell. That is just how I roll."