Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Game with the closest SWG crafting system

cesogcesog Member Posts: 67

I was a weaponsmith on Bloodfin, and for the past few years sincethe NGE have been exploring games. I cannot stand any of them. Does anybody know of a game that has similar, or atleast as entertaining a crafting system as pre NGE did?

Or upcoming games

Comments

• The-XThe-X Member Posts: 7
    Originally posted by cesog

I was a weaponsmith on Bloodfin, and for the past few years sincethe NGE have been exploring games. I cannot stand any of them. Does anybody know of a game that has similar, or atleast as entertaining a crafting system as pre NGE did?

Or upcoming games

I remember you...  Used to buy from you Pre-CU...  A certain Scythe Blade as I recall.

• cesogcesog Member Posts: 67

Maybe. I honestly do not remember most of the people i sold stuff too :) just that it was high quality and pre-cu

krayt pearl carbines owned :)

• miagisanmiagisan Member Posts: 5,156

i havent found anything like old swg crafting

i really miss it

• miagisanmiagisan Member Posts: 5,156

Maybe. I honestly do not remember most of the people i sold stuff too :) just that it was high quality and pre-cu
    krayt pearl tissue carbines owned :)

fixed :)

Our best hope is darkfall i think, but i doubt it will ever release at this rate.

World of Warcraft, as much as i hate to admit it, would be an amazing game if there was a crafter option, and the gear they made was better than loot. It would make it truly an amazing game, as opposed to the questgrind crap it is now.

i wish my internet didnt suck ^

• GishgeronGishgeron Member Posts: 1,287

I think you've answered yourself.  There ISN'T a replacement for the amazing crafting system used in SWG.  Darkfall (assuming many things) is the only likely contender...and the jury is still WAYYYY out on that one.  Even if it releases...there are no guarantees about the quality of its crafting game.

SWG also still has the best housing system.

:(

I wish I didn't hate SOE so much.  I also wish I could get back into that game again...but it just falls so flat with me now.  I did really enjoy my last trip back to it, but it only lasted a week before I couldn't stomache it again.  Whats worse is that a F2P stole me away from it.....

I miss flying around killing things faces off.  Or walking around in my flying mobile home.  I may have to give it another free trial soon.   Maybe with all the server moving there will actually be PEOPLE playing again.   Maybe the "player driven content" update will cover up some of the ground that its lack of questing (which...is kinda needed now that they've wholesale gone with the WoW model in gaming) missed.

Or maybe I'll just go back to CoH again...because I can always rely on THEM to continue amusing me in the same way they always have.

The ONLY good part of SWG is space, and only becuase it was not touched nearly as much as our ground proffesions.  I am sure that if SOE REALLY looked, they would find pre-cu stuff.

One thing I have not understood, don't the original cd's have most of the game on it? And don't they save patches up to pre-cu?

Trials are fun for making an entertainer, macroing to 90, then charging people huge amounts of credits for buffs. Reminds me of my doc days.

• Baio2kBaio2k Member UncommonPosts: 162

Sadly, the stripped, and meaningless husk of a crafting system that is NGE SWG, is the closest thing to it's superior ancestor.   No other game is even comprable, and at least SWG's resources still have stats which may, sometimes, affect the outcome of the item, but only to a degree. 

Honestly, looking at the game from fresh eyes playing it for the 1st time ever, the crafting system looks pretty decent (*Prepares for beating).

I know for me it is almost impossible to look at the game objectively, without the prejudices of my past play experiences, but I've tried.

I have no idea how Darkfall's crafting will actually turn out, they love to hype it but I am waiting for product.

• dalevi1dalevi1 Member Posts: 829

Our best hope is darkfall i think, but i doubt it will ever release at this rate.

World of Warcraft, as much as i hate to admit it, would be an amazing game if there was a crafter option, and the gear they made was better than loot. It would make it truly an amazing game, as opposed to the questgrind crap it is now.

There is not yet a soul on these forums that can vouch for Darkfall. Yes, I miss SWG loudly, but hype about DF is hype only. EvE has a nice crafting system (advancment sucks), SL has a great crafting system (community is questionable), and AoC has boobs.

You can see what I am getting to here. There is nothing like SWG on the market.

Played (more than a month): SWG, Second Life, Tabula Rasa, Lineage 2, Everquest 2, EvE, MxO, Ryzom.

Tried: WoW, Shadowbane, Anarchy Online, Everquest, WWII Online, Planetside

Beta: Lotro, Tabula Rasa, WAR.

On the offchance that darkfall isnt all hype (all of .001%), i hope that you dont just have one type of crafter, but

lots of different crafting skills. Eve is a fun game, but its kinda annoying, 6 days for skills.  Ah well. Crafting NGE would not be so wretched if inflation was not  at 1000000% and the starting quests, idk, GAVE you the resources so i dont have to spend a mil credits to get to lvl 10. and if the loot sucked more.

• LordspamLordspam Member Posts: 15

ex armorsmith in ahazi

What drew me to eve was the player economy.  I am still looking for a game that had a crafting system like Pre-cu SWG.

EvEs crafting system is more about crafting a supply chain... than building the best goods.

Anything you craft in Eve is similar to the next guy so you must differientiate with other ways than your produced product.

-Lord SPAM , Ripple Rock Mining Co.

• Moaky07Moaky07 Member Posts: 2,096

Since most SWG folks wanna kill SOE, then they wouldnt want a game  SOE runs.

If they did though, both EQ and EQ2 had above average amount of detail, with their tradeskills, I would have to believe. Nothing on the order of SWG from the way folks talk, but I know some EQ stuff could be very complex material wise(number of items/steps needed in recipes/etc). They used to have a web site devoted strickly to it. Unsure if it is still around though.

EQ2 tradeskills were scaled back a lot a while ago. I think they still have some work to them...but they made the process a lot more simple IMO. I think EQ trades may be the more complex of the 2 now...but unsure if they scaled it down as well. Been gone several years now for the most part.

Buy chance if ya do enjoy content as well, there isnt but a couple of games around that could even think of claiming that they have more than EQ. Allakhazam has most of that material covered. The site sold out to a gold-dealer as owner after a number of years though. Unsure if they still have their claws in it. Quit going there a number of years back. Shame because it was a cool site at first. Then it went to a sub rate if you wanted the better searches/ease of use. The final straw for me was the gold dealer ownership.

There is a lot of help out there for EQ if you decide to give it a whirl though. And that is assuming no one in game wants to help ya out...which is contrary to how it used to be. But I cannot speak to how it is now. There is also discussion on another site I go to about a new progression server inc. Might check into that if ya want to have folks around at low lvls more often. Older servers are mainly max lvl folks these days.

And if you want something not with SOE, I only played some open beta on Ryzom....but that game seemed to have some tradeskills to it as well. Not positive about it nowadays, or actual gameplay if you are into that as well. I own (inactive)accounts of WoW, CoH, DAoC, Vanguard(this has trades...unsure how good...and diplomacy also), MxO, LoTRO...along with EQ, EQ2, and SWG which are all inactive as well. These are the ones I base suggesting EQ and Ryzom on. Vanguard might be a choice also as indicated...but game is dead from what folks say. You would have to find out for yourself(it also takes a higher end PC to run its best the last I knew...which is a problem for some not being able to afford one).

Anyways GL to ya.

Asking Devs to make AAA sandbox titles is like trying to get fine dining on a McDonalds dollar menu budget.

• someforumguysomeforumguy Member RarePosts: 4,088
    Originally posted by dalevi1

There is not yet a soul on these forums that can vouch for Darkfall. Yes, I miss SWG loudly, but hype about DF is hype only. EvE has a nice crafting system (advancment sucks), SL has a great crafting system (community is questionable), and AoC has boobs.

You can see what I am getting to here. There is nothing like SWG on the market.

If we are talking about pure crafting and particularly weaponsmith. You might want to check the last changes then. Weaponsmith gives now much more variation. The different weapontypes dont have a set lvl anymore. Also for higher lvl weapons (>72 or so I think), you can chose what elemental type you want to add.

This gives your customers the chance to chose their favourite weapon (E-11 for example) for any lvl they want with any mods/elementals.

Mods are the usual triple statted weapon attachment, a powerbit that you can create into a mod as weaponsmith. And two looted bits that can add hp, +crit chance etc.

Anyway, loads of customisation now compared to the old system. And yes Im talking about weaponsmith in current SWG.

Its funny how players keep talking about preNGE while current weaponsmith system gives a lot more variety in looks and mods and is more complex.

Droids are the next on the list, it just takes bloody long these changes with the current dev team :/

Forgot to add another option:

Vanguard crafting. Its the only other crafting system that actually takes some skill. But its not a popular game like you probably know and Im also not sure how viable it is for the economy.

I find EQ2 crafting a dumbed down version of Vanguard's system. But all tiers seem to have viable items for sale.

To bad that both use the imo dreaded nodehunting gathering which also forces you to lvl your character through PVE combat, unless you want to buy overpriced resources.

• ummaxummax Member Posts: 779

At the risk of getting flamed I'm going to mention a game that many likely have never tried.  If you want complicated and hard try A tale in the Desert.   atitd.com.    I played it for awhile, but it was sucking far to much of my time.   The crafting is still intact but requires some major time to learn.

eg: glass blowing.. you willl spend several days just trying to learn how to make a thermometer that works.   Building gear boxes for marble quaries.   This requires real world knowledge of how to make gears, so if you have none you quite literaly have to spend time with books learning it.  Another was smithing and making good axes etc to be used.  This was a true art.  These things left lasting impressions on me and if the community wasn't a tad crazy (the entire system is player run with elected demi-pharaoh's capable of having you banned from the game) I would still be there however the drama was insane and I play to relax not to get stressed.   To date other then second life which really isn't crafting but more creation of content from developer tools this is the only game that was actualy complex. 

So right now the two that were actualy hard that I have tried were secondlife and a tale in the desert.  Second life really isn't a game though if you are already skilled at coding or making content you just step right in and make you way.  Its great though if you like to learn new things and have hobbies. however you will never in any game afterwards complain or notice lag because the lag on second life servers is unpresidented after you have spent a year or two immersed in that every other lag will be like a cakewalk. lol

• WarmakerWarmaker Member UncommonPosts: 2,246

Trying to find an MMO with a deep crafting system that is a big game in itself?  Want a system that can yield a variety of results depending on what the crafter attempts / acquires / and material quality?  A system that makes goods actually desirable in this "LOOT FIRST" mentality of MMOs these days?  A system deep enough where a crafter could actually concentrate on it and business and forsake combat altogether, and actually have a satisfying experience in the MMO?

Something like Pre-CU/NGE crafting?

Good luck my brothers and sisters.  You're not going to find it out there right now, at least among the mainstream titles.

As someone mentioned before, NGE-era SWG has the closest system to the Pre-CU SWG crafting.  But the key factor that makes it utterly useless is how the devs have made crafting utterly pointless and useless.  The NGE Nerfed Crafting System offers more possibilities than practically all other current MMOs out there.  But the devs hate crafting in SWG and have taken steps in relegating it to uselessness.

A shame though.  Most MMOs out there have a crafting system that's simple enough that you might as well issue all their subscribers a coloring book and a mini-booklet on how to do basic addition and subtraction.

Component A + Component B always = Product C!

BUT WAIT!!11111!!!!!!!

Component A + Compoent B + Loot Component always = Product Super C!

OOOOOHHHHHHHHH!!!!

I swear... devs must think the subscribers must have brains the size of walnuts.

"I have only two out of my company and 20 out of some other company. We need support, but it is almost suicide to try to get it here as we are swept by machine gun fire and a constant barrage is on us. I have no one on my left and only a few on my right. I will hold." (First Lieutenant Clifton B. Cates, US Marine Corps, Soissons, 19 July 1918)

• TridianTridian Member UncommonPosts: 273

I dont know mucha bout eves crafting but I heard it is rather in depth. I would also check out earthrise. Most of the items in the game can be made by crafters. Armor, weapons, clothes, vehicles etc. Maybe fallen earth but i dont know jack about that game.

yeah but i would rather a game that is out yet

• TeknoBugTeknoBug Member UncommonPosts: 2,156

From what I've seen, there's nothing out there that really compares to the old crafting system, I liked the old system over the current one because it was much more difficult to reach weapon/armor caps and you had to wait for that valuable resource to spawn on your server- it wasn't until late Oct 2003 when Ostrine Ore(?) spawned on Lowca so we could finally make our T21 rifles. Adding in Krayt tissues, Rancor teeth, Nightsister shards, Kimo scales, etc. to crafted items raised the value of the sales and everyone had different stats which made the economy competitive. Plus there was decay, if you were friendly and supporting, your customers came back for more of your items or for you to repair them, the key to being a successful crafter back then was to have loyal customers.

Nowadays everyone can reach max cap and still have 2-3 experimentation points left over and the only thing competitive about the economy is lowering the prices- which almost no one does because people are shelling out millions of credits (since the majority of current players are carrying around BILLIONs of credits).

• redriverredriver Member Posts: 124

to the OP: check out a tale in the desert...

• thamighty213thamighty213 Member UncommonPosts: 1,637

cough Fallen Earth cough

Earthrise also sounds like it has a very intresting crafting system.

Crafting

Crafting in Earthrise is a complex process that is easy to understand but ultimately difficult to master. The basic rule of crafting is that every item is made of components and every item can be broken down to its composites. Some components are used for specific items, others are used in a wide array of items – for example, a hand gun grip can be used in the creation of various hand guns, while electronic chipsets can be used to create specific devices. Players often will break down items to their components in order to combine some of them with other components to produce new, different items. Crafting and salvaging requires specific skills, depending what item is created or salvaged down, and players will have access to dozens of skills, covering mechanics, electronics, engineering, construction and programming in several futuristic industries. Here is a quick and simple example – let’s have two hand guns, a simple “Kruger” and an advanced “Raider” with electronic aiming. Using his weapons engineering skill, a player can deconstruct “Kruger Hand Gun” down to “Hand Gun Grip” and “Kruger Mechanism”, and then combine the “Hand Gun Grip” with “Raider Mechanism” and “Raider Aiming Processor” to produce the electronics-assisted “Raider” hand gun. Often complex items will require several tiers of components construction before the player can create the final product, and each of those components will require different skills to craft. We want to make most complex and powerful items in the game a serious crafting investment, often requiring two or more crafters or varying skills and expertise to work together in order to tailor each element of the final item. That is not to say that Earthrise favors custom-crafting of individual items only – majority of items will be rather simple to mass produce given components are available and will provide everyone with the means to join the conflict between Continoma or Noir, or carve their own name in the history of Enterra.

Transformation of one type of item to another - either through crafting or salvaging - has damaging effect on the used resources and the final item will always have lowered quality value compared to the input components, depending on player's crafting skill. This renders impossible the infinite transformation of items - even for a true expert, constant crafting and salvaging of the same item will make the resources useless and any item made of them prone to quick damage and lessened effect. This is when items will "break" completely - when they cannot be any more repaired, or effectively salvaged to craft a new useful item.