Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Why MMOs are like Shooters...

Because, there is nothing else to do but, fight, fight, fight....sigh

Comments

• IlvaldyrIlvaldyr Member CommonPosts: 2,142
    Originally posted by techlord

Not true, you can dance naked on mailboxes!

But you're not wrong, it would be very nice to see more non-combat oriented content.

Playing: EVE, Final Fantasy 13, Uncharted 2, Need for Speed: Shift
  • KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,498

That isn't how the genre started out, the early MMO's all had lots of content to occupy players and tended to be more of a world than a game.

Somehow along the way, developers decided they wanted to draw in players who prefer fighting to almost anything else (the larger FPS market) and began changing their designs toward that goal.

WAR is a great example of a MMORPG-like game which places emphasis on the the quick in, quick out, no risk, no reward mentality of a FPS game while ignoring the world aspects that made predecessors like DAOC truely great. (from my perspective of course)

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• TatumTatum Member Posts: 1,153

Good points.  I'd agree.  MMOs have moved much closer towards the FPS end of the spectrum (except that they replace player skill with avatar level/gear).  It's not hard to imagine many of the future MMOs following a heavily instanced, Diablo type of design.

Really, it's kind of funny.  Combat has always been the weak point in MMOs (for obvious reasons), yet, that's what MMOs put all of their attention towards now.  They've trimmed away most of the RPG features that made the genre unique and, as a result, these games feel much more one dimensional than they use to be.

• NalestomNalestom Member Posts: 47

I would definitely have to agree. MMO's have turned much more violent and centered around the combat system, but they haven't looked at what a real RPG should feel like.

When I look for an MMO, I basically look for an online, multiplayer version of The Elder Scrolls. I want to feel like I actually have a second personality or a second life, not just that it's a hobby or something I enjoy doing. Most MMO's completely lack the feel of an RPG, which makes playing them feel more like a chore than like a game.

• hvc801hvc801 Member Posts: 987
    Originally posted by Tatum

Good points.  I'd agree.  MMOs have moved much closer towards the FPS end of the spectrum

I don't think so.  First Person Shooter.  Most mmo's out there are all third person.  Some you might be able to change camera view to first.  ( I just started playing Fallout 3, its awesome. )

I'm not sure what the OP was totally getting at here, with the fight fight fight part.  Isn't that all part to an MMO?  You need experience points to level your character and better your gaming gear with loot, in a PvE environment the is.  If you were talking about something along the lines of  WAR, PvP based gameplay, it makes the game more intriguing to know that you're fighting against another human being.  In exchange of the fight you'll leave with more experience points.  Thus leading back to the basics of an other mmo.

I might just be rambling on, but those are some of my thoughts on the topic.

What if Paul Revere was like the boy who cried wolf....?

Originally posted by Hazmal

What does he say when people ask what he did? "My mommy was irking me yo - I wanted to keep pwning nubs on my xbox, so I roughed her up with a hardshell. That is just how I roll."

Originally posted by hvc801

Good points.  I'd agree.  MMOs have moved much closer towards the FPS end of the spectrum

I don't think so.  First Person Shooter.  Most mmo's out there are all third person.  Some you might be able to change camera view to first.  ( I just started playing Fallout 3, its awesome. )

I'm not sure what the OP was totally getting at here, with the fight fight fight part.  Isn't that all part to an MMO?  You need experience points to level your character and better your gaming gear with loot, in a PvE environment the is.  If you were talking about something along the lines of  WAR, PvP based gameplay, it makes the game more intriguing to know that you're fighting against another human being.  In exchange of the fight you'll leave with more experience points.  Thus leading back to the basics of an other mmo.

We're not talking about FIRST PERSON view or THIRD PERSON view.  What we're talking about is the FPS style of gaming: log on, jump right into an instance/scenario/battle ground, and combat, combat, combat, reset...

• demolishIXdemolishIX Member Posts: 632

We're not talking about FIRST PERSON view or THIRD PERSON view.  What we're talking about is the FPS style of gaming: log on, jump right into an instance/scenario/battle ground, and combat, combat, combat, reset...

EVE online isnt like that... it's just into a expensive and very large ship,go to low sec .... get sent back to your brand new clone then start screaming at the poor monitor ..despite it was you who undocked that day!

• nariusseldonnariusseldon Member EpicPosts: 27,775

Isn't it surprising? People *like* to fight. Just look at how many games (MMO or not) that are based on some kind of violence.

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,498

As someone mentioned, I wasn't referring to the camera angle, but rather the focus on quick in/out combat.

And no, believe it or not, combat isn't all there is to an MMORPG.  Take a game like EVE, there is no levels, and you don't have to fight a single person to train up your skills to fly Capital ships. Doesn't mean you'd have a clue how to fight in one, just means you could in practice field one in battle.

I'll also use DAOC in its early days as an example. There you did in fact level up by fighting. But getting better gear, that was a different story. At that time, crafted gear was some of the best out there, so it behooved you to learn a craft, and to market your wares. I became a high level spellcrafter on my server, and I had people begging me to craft gems for their gear.

Sometimes you might go out and PVE some mobs for cash or drops, to craft stuff. Other times you'd help in realm defense, so you could gain control of Darkness Falls. Sometimes you'd go on a guild or server dragon raid, (they were tough in those days) and sometimes, you'd just grab some friends and gank.

While combat was always at the core, it didn't seem like it quite as much as today's games.

Games such as UO were even less linear, players could chose to level up just their crafting skills, and almost never go into combat if they chose to. (its a shame almost no game has offered a non-violent way to level up a character, if we must have levels)

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• IlvaldyrIlvaldyr Member CommonPosts: 2,142
    Originally posted by nariusseldon

Isn't it surprising? People *like* to fight. Just look at how many games (MMO or not) that are based on some kind of violence.

By contrast; how do we know that people don't like non-combat content as well?

It's not as if many games even have any; the most pervasive memory I can think of was playing a non-com in SWG, and that gameplay seems to be universally considered to be a much-mourned loss.

Playing: EVE, Final Fantasy 13, Uncharted 2, Need for Speed: Shift
  • PonicoPonico Member UncommonPosts: 650

If MMOS were like Shooters then I would be playing MMOS none stop… Though, I don’t and I get bored very fast with most MMOs out there. Now, I’m not a diehard “must drink blood and PVP 24/7” … I actually like games like The Sims, Sim City and other more casual games so where do I stand?

I’ve been part of the same FPS clan for nearly 10 years now. Being with these guys and girls on a battlefield is a completely different ballgame… It’s all about working together and having fun. It’s not about loots, equipement, gear and such… it’s about quick response, tactics, knowing and feeling your teamates! Most MMOs are based on greed and that’s really all there is to it. It’s all about who has this sword and that epic pony or who hits the hardest … who killed this boss the fastest… It’s all about greed, nothing else.

Still, I enjoy EVE online :P

• ReklawReklaw Member UncommonPosts: 6,495

When I saw your topic title I thought on saying that MMO's are far from what shooters are today.

Seeing your OP makes me fully agree with you.

I love combat, but........I play games in different genre's for that, mainly FPS or some Action RPG type of games, sometimes I am in the mood for some RTS or Open world type of games, and MMORPG use to have it all and so much more, it delivered what all those other games didn't and couldn't deliver, today those other games deliver me more then MMORPG's which is a shame.

• Question82Question82 Member Posts: 71
    Originally posted by Kyleran

That isn't how the genre started out, the early MMO's all had lots of content to occupy players and tended to be more of a world than a game.
    Somehow along the way, developers decided they wanted to draw in players who prefer fighting to almost anything else (the larger FPS market) and began changing their designs toward that goal.
    WAR is a great example of a MMORPG-like game which places emphasis on the the quick in, quick out, no risk, no reward mentality of a FPS game while ignoring the world aspects that made predecessors like DAOC truely great. (from my perspective of course)

Are you sure? Because really, other than UO (which I will admit did have more for people to do other than fighting) EQ was very combat oriented even in its heyday. In fact, it was very VERY grindy and since the "!" Quest givers were not so easily discernible back then (since they didn't have the "!" mark) and since the quests didn't give EXP back then, players were more concerned with grinding to max level.

DAoC I'm not so sure though since I didn't play it back in the day, so I wouldn't be able to tell you.

• altairzqaltairzq Member Posts: 3,811

Sadly true.

The problem is, most of the combat heavy MMOs (whether it's PvP or PvE) don't give any real motivation for combat.  XP?  Loot?  Linear story lines?  That's all they give you.  Combat has no real rewards or consequences and it's not really dangerous or exciting.

• VishiAnandVishiAnand Member Posts: 239

well because mmo shooting would be the best way for players to compete and play against one another. and the overall ranking is what keeps me playing those games.

Originally posted by Ilvaldyr

Originally posted by nariusseldon

By contrast; how do we know that people don't like non-combat content as well?

It's not as if many games even have any; the most pervasive memory I can think of was playing a non-com in SWG, and that gameplay seems to be universally considered to be a much-mourned loss.

We don't. But even if people *like* non-combat content .. it does NOT detract from the fact that they ALSO like combat content. These things are not mutually exclusive.

And games do NOT need to cater to everything people like. Focusing on combat is fine since it is so popular. Just look at SP games. Most are combat oriented. There are some that are not (like cooking mama) but do the developers of Gear of War need to add some cooking activity in their next game ... NO.

• DragonSharkDragonShark Member UncommonPosts: 227
    Originally posted by Question82

Are you sure? Because really, other than UO (which I will admit did have more for people to do other than fighting) EQ was very combat oriented even in its heyday. In fact, it was very VERY grindy and since the "!" Quest givers were not so easily discernible back then (since they didn't have the "!" mark) and since the quests didn't give EXP back then, players were more concerned with grinding to max level.

DAoC I'm not so sure though since I didn't play it back in the day, so I wouldn't be able to tell you.

EQ had a lot more going for it than just combat. It had a very intricate crafting system, and prior to the introduction of the auction system a number of people made their living as traders, traversing the (then) long distances between the various starting cities in order to provide exotic goods (Guktofey Trading Company was well known for this on the Bertoxxulous server in 1999).

There also wasn't a lot of focus on grinding to max level back then, since the concept of "endgame" really had not come into play yet.

Originally posted by DragonShark

Originally posted by Question82

EQ had a lot more going for it than just combat. It had a very intricate crafting system, and prior to the introduction of the auction system a number of people made their living as traders, traversing the (then) long distances between the various starting cities in order to provide exotic goods (Guktofey Trading Company was well known for this on the Bertoxxulous server in 1999).

There also wasn't a lot of focus on grinding to max level back then, since the concept of "endgame" really had not come into play yet.

Most players on EQ are hack-n-slash. I still remember everyone i played with then are in it for teh hack-n-slash. All these other stuff (like trading) is just an afterthought. The whole game is about camping mobs.

• techlordtechlord Member Posts: 220

Rolls Eyes at list of Games in Development (on left side of page)

All Points Bulletin (APB)  . . . sigh

Champions Online . . . sigh

The Chronicles of Spellborn . . . sigh

Darkfall . . . sigh

Earthrise . . . sigh

Fallen Earth . . . sigh

Global Agenda . . . sigh

Huxley . . . sigh

Jumpgate Evolution . . . sigh

Mortal Online . . . sigh

SUN . . . sigh

Star Trek Online . . . sigh

Star Wars: The Old Republic Stargate Worlds . . . sigh

• TealaTeala Member RarePosts: 7,627

Even the older MMORPG's like Asheron's Call centered around one thing...combat or the ability to participate in it.    It wasn't about making virtual widgets or building anything other than friendships.   Now days though it is all about raids, gear,  and levels.

Screw that.

Give me AC or Pre-NGE SWG and an open world to explore - a sandbox!  Stop holding our hands developers.   You're destroying this wonderful genre with your dumbing down of it.

Rolls Eyes at list of Games in Development (on left side of page)

All Points Bulletin (APB)  . . . sigh

Champions Online . . . sigh

The Chronicles of Spellborn . . . sigh

Darkfall . . . sigh

Earthrise . . . sigh

Fallen Earth . . . sigh

Global Agenda . . . sigh

Huxley . . . sigh

Jumpgate Evolution . . . sigh

Mortal Online . . . sigh

SUN . . . sigh

Star Trek Online . . . sigh