Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Is there something wrong with GTA IV, or is it just me?

ZorvanZorvan Member CommonPosts: 8,912

After having recently bought my first Xbox 360, my first game HAD to be GTA IV. This was one of the reasons I bought the 360.

I am an ardent fan of the GTA series, and have played every one of them until every achievement, collectible, etc. was found and the games totally drained of even the smallest content.

Until now.

For the first few days, it was great. Great visuals, great writing ( for a GTA game, anyway ), and was pretty much going good. But after a few days ( like 2 or 3 ), I just don't feel it any more. I've put the game back in its case and have listed it on Craigslist. Just somehow, the things that the others did to draw me in, didn't with GTA IV.

So I'm wondering, have I just "outgrown" the series, perhaps just "been there, done that" type of thing, or has anyone else found the game "lacking" in some primary way?

Comments

• impaktoimpakto Member Posts: 314

sorry dude i cant answer your questions, i havent played gta 4 yet, and dont have an xbox..

just wanted to ask you where else is xbox released, i mean consoles and is it playable in the pc?

how was it?

• ZorvanZorvan Member CommonPosts: 8,912
    Originally posted by impakto

sorry dude i cant answer your questions, i havent played gta 4 yet, and dont have an xbox..
    just wanted to ask you where else is xbox released, i mean consoles and is it playable in the pc?

how was it?

Well, I know for sure the consoles are in NA, EU, and Japan. Have no idea where else. GTA IV has a PC version, but it's an utter mess graphics wise ( at least it was when I had it, they may have patched it up enough by now ). You could play it on a supercomputer and the damn thing would lag like you were running it on an old 486, texture tearing, disappearing textures, etc..

As far as the Xbox 360 version, the graphics are great. Driving around is fun ( although the sounds for the vehicles are attrocious ). Riding a "Harley" clone sounds like the engine is an old sewing machine. And the muscle type cars sound like 4 door sedans with water in the gas tank.

The rest is standard GTA, with missions and collectibles and apache style helicopters, etc., shooting cops and pedestrians, but no hookers and they totally lamed out on the sounds when you're getting busy with your lady.

Come to think of it, that may be part of my problem. It just seems like the "edge" to the previous games just isn't there in IV.

• BrianshoBriansho Member UncommonPosts: 3,586

Same thing happened to me. After playing Vice City you get used to the great music and fun stuff to do. Music is a big part of these games to me and both San Andreas and IV just didnt have any music to keep me motivated and playing.

Don't be terrorized! You're more likely to die of a car accident, drowning, fire, or murder! More people die every year from prescription drugs than terrorism LOL!

• BigdavoBigdavo Member UncommonPosts: 1,863

You're probably burnt out on them I reckon, I gradually got sick of the series as well. Same shit different game.

O_o o_O

• CleffyCleffy Member RarePosts: 6,412

"This no touching rule is killing me."  I think thats it.  lol j/k.

On the PC version I have realized the secret in getting playable frame rates. #1 get an HD line of ATI graphics.  The game seems to be designed with them in mind considering I haven't really had any problems when using it.  Its not surprising considering the XBox360 is powered by ATI/AMD.  Also use a quad core.  I am getting a bottle-neck with my dual core.  No matter how much or how little I pump the graphics, the benchmark is always the same.

I agree there is an edgi-ness missing in the game.  Also although the city is huge in this, much bigger then Liberty City in GTA 3, you can't really do anything with all the buildings and NPCs.

Originally posted by Briansho

Same thing happened to me. After playing Vice City you get used to the great music and fun stuff to do. Music is a big part of these games to me and both San Andreas and IV just didnt have any music to keep me motivated and playing.

That is true, also. I scanned through the channels and just couldn't find anything that really got me. Hell, I own the Vice City soundtrack collection ( being an eighties kid, I just had to ). And even San Andreas had some good tunes on a few of the channels. But with IV, I just end up killing the radio after a quick scan through.

@BigDavo:

Yeah, you're probably right.

I'd recommend GTA IV to a newbie player, but for a fan of the series, I think I'd tell 'em to either skip it, or play it as a rental only.

Anyone played Fable 2 and/or Lost Odyssey? These are the two games I'm looking at getting right now. Lost Odyssey looks kinda "Final  Fantasy-ish", which is good in my book. And Fable 2 looks good, seems to have good reviews, but after the original Fable and the extremely short story I'm not sure about getting the sequel.

• DraenorDraenor Member UncommonPosts: 7,918

I played San Andreas much longer than I played GTA IV...something about it just doesn't feel fresh, in San Andreas I felt really free in the world, I think the open country sides had a lot to do with that,  i wish that they would bring those back.

Your argument is like a two legged dog with an eating disorder...weak and unbalanced.

• FaxxerFaxxer Member Posts: 3,247

I havn't played that much of GTA4 on my ps3...maybe 30+ percent so far...

I enjoy it, but it's not addictive like say little big planet or burnout paradise ...in burnout paradise i will drive for miles just to drive...and do no missions, but just explore.  (plus you can play online)

I like the game ok though, it was my first GTA game, so i've never played san an or any of the others....again, nothing that made my world go around.  Still it's a good game in my line up to have, especially when you show it to someone who'd new to consoles! lmao, they shit bricks when you show them such games.

Originally posted by Faxxer

I havn't played that much of GTA4 on my ps3...maybe 30+ percent so far...
    I enjoy it, but it's not addictive like say little big planet or burnout paradise ...in burnout paradise i will drive for miles just to drive...and do no missions, but just explore.  (plus you can play online)
    I like the game ok though, it was my first GTA game, so i've never played san an or any of the others....again, nothing that made my world go around.  Still it's a good game in my line up to have, especially when you show it to someone who'd new to consoles! lmao, they shit bricks when you show them such games.

Yeah, the driving part used to be the most fun part with GTA. Now if you ever get a chance to grab a copy somewhere, get GTA III. It takes place in Liberty City ( the same city as GTA IV ). You'll find a big difference in the size and openness of the city in III compared to how cramped in the streets and areas in IV feel. Made driving around alot more fun. Same with Vice City and San Andreas, you had alot of open areas, hilltop residential areas, and places just built for doing tricks. IV is just more constricted, IMO.

And yeah, it definitely is a good game for showcasing the PS3 or Xbox 360. Graphically it's fantastic.

• DevourDevour Member Posts: 902
    Originally posted by Zorvan

Anyone played Fable 2 and/or Lost Odyssey? These are the two games I'm looking at getting right now. Lost Odyssey looks kinda "Final  Fantasy-ish", which is good in my book. And Fable 2 looks good, seems to have good reviews, but after the original Fable and the extremely short story I'm not sure about getting the sequel.

I personally prefer Fable to Fable 2, just because it had a better storyline, and the gameplay felt a hell of a lot smoother. Fable 2 seems a bit forced, and all that gun crap really gets on my nerves.

If you get Lost Odyssey, tell me what it's like. xD

• GameloadingGameloading Member UncommonPosts: 14,182
    Originally posted by Devour

Originally posted by Zorvan

I personally prefer Fable to Fable 2, just because it had a better storyline, and the gameplay felt a hell of a lot smoother. Fable 2 seems a bit forced, and all that gun crap really gets on my nerves.

If you get Lost Odyssey, tell me what it's like. xD

I got Lost Odyssey and It's a pretty good game imo. It's a very traditional JRPG so you must have a liking for traditional JRPG gameplay mechanics to enjoy it.

With that said, it's storyline is one of the most memorable in recently memory and really pulls the emotion strings.

• DekronDekron Member UncommonPosts: 7,359

What turned me off from GTAIV was the constant calls from everybody wanting to hang out every 5 minutes - even during missions.

• BrianshoBriansho Member UncommonPosts: 3,586
    Originally posted by Dekron

What turned me off from GTAIV was the constant calls from everybody wanting to hang out every 5 minutes - even during missions.

Yeah that was annoying. Right when I'm about to snipe someone, RING  RING, Yo this is your buddy when we gonna hang out?

Don't be terrorized! You're more likely to die of a car accident, drowning, fire, or murder! More people die every year from prescription drugs than terrorism LOL!

• BrenelaelBrenelael Member UncommonPosts: 3,821

Well the one thing that has become obvious to me is the lack of continuity in the missions. In GTA III, Vice City and San Andreas the missions seemed to flow one into the next. In GTA IV they almost seem unrelated and have no flow to them at all. Also this whole new "friend" system gets old fast... I mean really, how many times can you take Roman bowling, drinking, playing darts or shooting pool before you get to to the point of just hanging up the phone when he or anyone else calls you for that matter.

Also in the other games there was just so much more to do. Rampages, Hidden Packages, Taxi Missions, Fire Missions, Vigilante Missions and so much more just didn't make it into GTA IV. The game is beautiful and I am enjoying it in small doses for the moment but there is just so much that made the GTA series great that just isn't there.

Edit: Oh and most of the girlfriends give it up on the first or second date. Half of the fun of San Andreas was trying to figure them out and playing your cards right to get them into the sack. The booty is just not as good if you don't have to work for it.

Bren

while(horse==dead)
    {
    beat();
    }

• leinad312leinad312 Member UncommonPosts: 319

I too got tired of GTA4 after a day or two. I think the series just got redundant for me.

Playing - FFXIV,  ESO
    Played - FFXI, WoW, Lineage 2, Guild Wars, Aion, SWToR, LotRO, GW2, TERA, Rift, ArcheAge, TSW