Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Whats wrong with me?

i originally started the MMORPG scene with everquest online adventures( not a good way to start lol) and enjoyed that game for a year... suddenly i started playing FFXI.... great game but had MANY things bad with it.... now im just a gaming lowner... im waiting for WoW to come out. is there something wrong with me and how i play MMORPGs? most people stay with one game for years. im gonno try to stick with WoW for a long time but i dont see that happening.

what keeps you guys to stick with one game?

oh BTW i usually max lvl in at least 2 different classes

help me lol ; ;

me- Mom... can you get me a game?

mom- you can have this instead you dirty basterd!

*mom takes cigar and puts out the light on my forearm*
---------------------------------------------
Credit card declined eh? well let me just give you one of my many YAH!!!
*throws hand full of credit cards in waiters face*

Comments

• ThinmanThinman Member Posts: 461

I wouldn't say that there's anything wrong with you.. You played two crappy MMOGs and didn't feel compelled to play them further.

People played EQ and UO and DAOC and others for so long because they were good for their time.

I think you might be surprised by how long you end up playing WoW.

Waiting for WoW, will play until something with new gameplay arrives

"The philosophy of a corporate entity umbrellas all activities. Obviously, SOE has a flawed way of doing business."
    -Crabby, MMORPG Boards

Looking forward (cautiously) to: Age of Conan, Dark Solstice, Armada Online.

Will soon try: Guild Wars

Overall: Amazed and bewhildered at the current sad state of the artform of gaming.

• PasomattPasomatt Member Posts: 221

Yeah, the people that tended to stick with Everquest are not new players. And I don't think its a hidden fact that Everquest's population is dwindling from its Mega-numbers a couple years ago. That is, again no suprise, why they've decided to give a sequel a try, rather then more and more of the same in expansions.

FFXI I think is also a failed experiment. Maybe not in revenue, but its basically trying to float off its console fame with the series and does a sloppy job in my opinion.

So yeah, I didn't stay with either of these games long as well.

I think the problem is also the scene. Which is now constantly adding new games. When there were few it was easier to stay with one. There is a continual drive for better graphics, better gameplay now, etc. And then people try to focus on everything and set out a half-done product.

I played Star Wars Galaxies since it came out, and just recently stopped, more for technical reasons then gameplay problems.

• Cik_AsalinCik_Asalin Member Posts: 3,033

Nothing wrong with you, or me. I am a veteren mmorpg player. . .since the good'ol days of UO and have been a transient across several games since then. EQ became very tiring for me after 6 months, I left and never looked back. Its not a personal thing, but a fact by looking at the MMOG Subscription Growth that EQ is not the only competitor.

Since then I've played about every other mmorpg, but shortly left for lack of replayability and their emphasis on one core activity. . .mob bashing and chasing a level, imho.

As a EQ2 and WoW beta tester, I still found EQ2 very tiring and linear. . .very hard to embrace. However, WoW presented greater intuitive game-play and design depth with its hybrid PvE/PvP platform, story-line depth, broad quest system, Guild support, solo-ability, great character progress pace, etc.

In short, we that have been around mmorpgs for a while have broadening expectations. . .and even WoW will become tiring at some point in anticipation for another mmorpg upgrade. What will it be? Not sure. But I have my eye on a few other future mmorpgs such as:

Darkfall
    Mourning
    Trials of Ascension

• DienekesDienekes Member Posts: 484

I have to agree with Pasomatt. I think it is harder to stick with one game because there are so many out that the quality of any one game has dropped. I also believe that when another game comes along with a trial it might have something to draw you off the game your currently playing. Something that shows you what your missing in that game and takes the fun from it. Not to say that trying other games is bad but it usually ends up in changing games or not playing the previous one. lol

"Feel free to hate me, but hate me for the right reasons."

"Your still ignorant if you believe the first thing you see when the blindfold is removed."

"Be smart enough to know I'm smarter than you."

• SithosSithos Member UncommonPosts: 315

In the beginning there were very few Graphical MMORPGS to choose from. Meridian was one of the first but the one that started putting MMORPGS in the spotlight was UO.

After a few years of UO; EQ came out. Many folks from UO moved to EQ some stayed some moved back. But the biggest draw was the fact that EQ was able to capitalise on the huge amount of press that was being generated about this genre (Mostly thanks to UO).

For months and months there were writeups about MMOPRGS in most major magazines.I remember reading about UO and EQ in Time magazine as an example.This sort of coverage garnered the MMORPG industry a whole new crop of players. Most folks who read these articles and then decided to try out this sort of game went to EQ (Why join the "old" game when this new one is out?)

Back then you basically had 2 choices. UO or EQ. EQ was new and cutting edge so most gravitated to that game (I know I did) Most players that stuck it out past a few months realised they loved the genre but given only 2 options they were basically between a rock and a hard place.

Fast Forward to today. The MMORPG industry thanks to the huge outburst in the press 7-8+ years ago is immense but also at the same time we are getting picky. We know what we want in a game. We know what is good and bad about this game or that game. Basically it boils down that we have alot more knowledge about the games now than we did those many years ago. And with the onset of literally dozens of new games in the works we as consumers (players) we can feel free to move from one game to another without worry of running out.

It used to be that you could choose either UO or EQ. Now there is a veritable plethora of games to choose from. Even should you only spend 1 or 2 months on a game before moving to another you could still literally spend enough gaming time for a dozen new games to be produced and ready for public use.

Wider Variety means that if you feel "bored" with your current game you are less apt to stick with it due to the ability to be playing a brand new game within minutes of giving your credit card number and downloading.

Also though a wider variety would also seem to me to mean that gone are the days of "mega-games" The player pool is only so deep and can only support so many games at any given time. Right now sure, there will be a few games that will garner a larger following than other games. But I don't think we are soon to see another EQ where the majority of the available gaming community played. (Sorry dont have the numbers offhand of peak subscription rates)

Alot of people nowadays love the genre but become quickly disenchanted with their current game and move to another then another then...etc etc trying to find what is right for them. Back in the "olden days" we had no such luxury.