Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Newbie tips (from a newb)

kmimmorpgkmimmorpg Member Posts: 624

I downloaded the trial based on the high rating it received here. So far I'm addicted. image

I would recommend going through the tutorial (with your rookie chat window open). You will learn alot just from watching the rookie channel. In the very beginning, I didn't have much to ask because I didn't even know what to ask! As I did my tutorial missions, I could ask questions and 99% of the time someone answers.

There are volunteers that show up from time to time (their font will be a different color) who can answer any question a newb throws their way. If a volunteer is not around, others there are eager to help also.

A few things I would recommend to beginners (once again ask more about these in the rookie channel):

1) Autopilot is your friend.

2) Train your skills right away. Your skills continue to train - even offline! So pick one ("Learning" for example) and get started!

3) Don't forget your cargo before you leave dock!

Have fun!image

A few more...<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" />

4) Upgraded from your starter ship and bought your first ship? INSURE it! It is easy to get your ship destroyed when you're not really sure what you're doing. I lost my ship the same day I bought it - ARGH!  It was nice to see I had another starter ship waiting for me and money (isk) waiting to purchase a new one.

5) Doesn't hurt to check how many skillpoints you have and see if you need to purchase a clone. A clone is like insuring yourself. I've lost my ship, but not myself (so not sure how it works exactly). But based on what grade of clone you've purchased - you get your a percentage of your skillpoints back.

6) Got a kill mission? If you have trouble completing it (like I did – lost my ship) ask for help. I think kill missions are hard to come by early – so other newbs may be willing to help you to get the chance to fight. There is a gang option – that allows you to team up.

Comments

• kmimmorpgkmimmorpg Member Posts: 624

Originally posted by kmimmorpg

I downloaded the trial based on the high rating it received here. So far I'm addicted. image
    I would recommend going through the tutorial (with your rookie chat window open). You will learn alot just from watching the rookie channel. In the very beginning, I didn't have much to ask because I didn't even know what to ask! As I did my tutorial missions, I could ask questions and 99% of the time someone answers.
    There are volunteers that show up from time to time (their font will be a different color) who can answer any question a newb throws their way. If a volunteer is not around, others there are eager to help also.
    A few things I would recommend to beginners (once again ask more about these in the rookie channel):
    1) Autopilot is your friend.
    2) Train your skills right away. Your skills continue to train - even offline! So pick one ("Learning" for example) and get started!
    3) Don't forget your cargo before you leave dock!
    Have fun!image
    A few more...<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" />
    4) Upgraded from your starter ship and bought your first ship? INSURE it! It is easy to get your ship destroyed when you're not really sure what you're doing. I lost my ship the same day I bought it - ARGH!  It was nice to see I had another starter ship waiting for me and money (isk) waiting to purchase a new one.
    5) Doesn't hurt to check how many skillpoints you have and see if you need to purchase a clone. A clone is like insuring yourself. I've lost my ship, but not myself (so not sure how it works exactly). But based on what grade of clone you've purchased - you get your a percentage of your skillpoints back.
    6) Got a kill mission? If you have trouble completing it (like I did – lost my ship) ask for help. I think kill missions are hard to come by early – so other newbs may be willing to help you to get the chance to fight. There is a gang option – that allows you to team up.

Just a reminder...

7) Make sure to put your cargo into your cargohold BEFORE you leave dock and head off to make your delivery!

• UltharUlthar Member Posts: 16

Another really good tip (I think it is at least): If you have questions (and everyone does, since you don't get a 200 pg manual like you should) don't hestitate to ask on Rookie Help. In fact, until you decide to join a pc corp (which you may decide not to do at all) I really reccomend camping Rookie Help and Help channels both.  Not only are there always people active, you will become an Eve expert in no time, and pick up quickly on problem systems to avoid (stuck gates and the like).  These are also the channels you will find Polaris members on (they are volunteers that help out other players, with limited powers to expedite petitions to GMs, and generally with knowedge databases that can point you in the right direction). Occassionally a GM or Polaris with an npc will crop on on these channels as well and throw out juicy plot bits for anyone who can jump on them.

Now with Night Hawks OMGWTFPWNAGE power!

Darkness beyond twilight, crimson beyond the blood that flows
    Buried beneath the stream of time is where your power grows
    I pledge myself to conquer all the foes who stand
    Before the power that you bestow
    In my unworthy hand

• ZdragvaZdragva Member Posts: 4

Eve expert?? is there such a thing? (apart from myself of course :P)

Seriously tho good advice, i have a couple though.

1: Never EVER leave ur ship unatended (go AFK) while at an asteroid belt.  In the vast majority of systems you will come back and your ship will be dead.

2: When I was a n00b i used to set my autopilot BEFORE entering any fights I was aware of (kill missions, npc hunting etc.) This means that if you are losing all you have to do is click autopilot on and you will automaticlly try and leave (what this does is basiclly gets ur ship out in 1 mouse click instead of huntin for an object to warp to or scrolling through menu's to leave a deadly situation)

3: right clicking is your friend. right click on any object will show you a menu for that object, while docked or in space.

4: while mining, try and get your ship facing any warpable object, moon, planet, star or station. this will save valuable time if you get attacked as you are already aligned for a quick warp to the object.

5: If you intend playing for a long time (several months etc.) invest early in training your learning skills up high (this is a key strategy for character development) high learning skills means less time in the long run to train. take the time early on to develope your character and you will reap the rewards the longer you play.

6: For the total noobs out there :D if you jettison cargo from your hold a can will appear in space tha has 27000m3 of space!! This s the largest amount of cargo space you can get anywhere in the game by any means, so use it to your advantage. Also you can transfer items from your ship to this can in space at any time, so you can mine for an hour non stop and pay a friend with an industrial hauler to carry it back to a station. REMEMBER this can will last only for a few hours max so be careful.

• crankycranky Member Posts: 5

Thanks for the tips kmimmorpg. I'll be sure to heed your advice when I start to play.

cheers