Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

LOTRO and DDO

Does anyone play both of these games? Both games are quite different in gameplay and I enjoy switching when I feel I need a change.

Anyone else?

MMO Played-EQ, EQ2, WOW, DDO, GW, COH, Vanguard, WAR

MMOs Playing-LOTRO

Comments

• Larry2298Larry2298 Member Posts: 865

When LOTRO just released, I was playing both DDO and LOTRO. DDO is nice game, and it is one of the most easiest game to get group just like calling a taxi. And everyone has no complaint about the loot. So the players are most friendly in any game. You don't need a community because the whole game is a big community.

In LOTRO, things getting more complicated than DDO. People cares more about their loots as well as armor set.

Worse than that was you MUST listen to other player's Instruction, it was an army. Only follow order or you get kick out. No one will tolerate if you move around to fked their chance to get armors.

It is very Serious game with Serious player. If DDO develope faster with enough contents then I will continue to play DDO at that time. Because LOTRO getting more WOW-alike now so is the guild (kinship).  

So if you still enjoy DDO then it maybe better to stay in DDO, just my 2 cents.

• Mentor73Mentor73 Member Posts: 107

Larry --- why don't you just quit LOTRO. While many say community in LOTRO is great, you say opposite. 

You try so hard to bash LOTRO, like your other post comparing instances with WOW. Why bother playing LOTRO, if every other MMORPG seems to be better for you then LOTRO. 

• Larry2298Larry2298 Member Posts: 865

If you can't give any opinion about loro and ddo but just able to tell people to quit lotro, its yourself need to looking for a new game. Try DDO first. And I did not get pay to say lotro is the best game ever, neither did I get pay to say lotro is worst. Either DDO or LOTRO both produced by Turbine, so what is your problem?

BTW, I recall the forum rule is not allowed to call poster's name in your post. Use Quote to express yourself properly.

• FikusOfAhaziFikusOfAhazi Member Posts: 1,835

I really like DDO. Its just not worth 15 bucks a month for me. If I could do both for 15 then I would. My money is for the persitant world.

See you in the dream..
    The Fires from heaven, now as cold as ice. A rapid ascension tolls a heavy price.

• dominiadominia Member Posts: 191

DDO is a very fun and well done game. It some of the most amazing and imaginative instances out there, which is good since the game is only instances.

I've recently heard you can make it all the way to the level cap with out ruining the same instance twice, which if true, is a great accomplishment for Turbine considering where the game was at release.

That said, there is something about DDO having its over world only serve as a quest hub which doesn't appeal to me. After starting off my gaming career playing OU, Shadowbane and FFXI, over instancing seems very wrong and break immersion for me.

LotRO, I believe, finds a great middle ground only using instancing where necessary to push forward the storyline. In the future though, expect to see less instancing as more games take advantage of Blizzard's new brain child, phasing.

Currently Playing: GW2
    Retired: Shadowbane, DAoC, WoW, FFXI, Eve Online, SWToR

The Aphelion MMO Blog - GW2 Initial Impressions

• Mentor73Mentor73 Member Posts: 107
    Originally posted by Larry2298

If you can't give any opinion about loro and ddo but just able to tell people to quit lotro, its yourself need to looking for a new game. Try DDO first. And I did not get pay to say lotro is the best game ever, neither did I get pay to say lotro is worst. Either DDO or LOTRO both produced by Turbine, so what is your problem?
    BTW, I recall the forum rule is not allowed to call poster's name in your post. Use Quote to express yourself properly.

No I'm just telling you. It is so obvious from all of your posts on LOTRO forum, that you have issues with LOTRO. Why bother playing then? I can say a lot about LOTRO (different then you it seems, except maybe for graphics) and nothing for DDO. SO i didn't tell OP he should quit DDO, i'm glad he is enjoing it. Opposite from your advice he should stick to DDO. Not sure if you meant just DDO or both games?

And there is difference if you have no opinions or if you are posting misleading opinions. 

• WSIMikeWSIMike Member Posts: 5,564
    Originally posted by Mentor73

Originally posted by Larry2298

No I'm just telling you. It is so obvious from all of your posts on LOTRO forum, that you have issues with LOTRO. Why bother playing then? I can say a lot about LOTRO (different then you it seems, except maybe for graphics) and nothing for DDO. SO i didn't tell OP he should quit DDO, i'm glad he is enjoing it. Opposite from your advice he should stick to DDO. Not sure if you meant just DDO or both games?

And there is difference if you have no opinions or if you are posting misleading opinions. 

Man, I swear I'm reading this back-and-forth with larry and getting deja-vu. Posting only to complain... being recommended to stop playing if they have so many problems with the game...

Wild shtuff.

That said...

I thought DDO was a pretty good looking game, and had great looking dungeons in particular with very clever layout (something Turbine has been great at going back to AC2).

The combat is, however, not turn-based, but more "twitch" based; which seems ironic to me, given that D&D is pretty much the grandfather of turn-based games. While I got used to it, I never could get to the point of liking it.

In all, though, the environments that I got to see felt very small and claustrophobic, even the city.

In all, DDO has a very "action-based dungeon crawl" feel to it to me.

LoTRO is the closest I've seen a post-WoW MMO come to achieving that "open world" feel of MMOs that came before it. Others on these threads have said it as well, that Turbine haven't so much created a "game" that you play, so much; but rather, they've crafted a world that you inhabit.

There are still people who race through it to get to the end-game and get all the best gear (which I'll get to in a moment), but I will contend that is not the way the game was meant to be enjoyed.

When you consider that those who race through it often are left complaining of "not enough to do", while the more casual players can't seem find an end to the content (quests, epic quests, crafting, etc), it's pretty clear which playstyle the game was designed for.

Also the xp rate seems more "in line" with the amount of effort put in. For example, in some MMOs, like Lineage 2, it can feel like I should have leveled hours ago already. In others, like WoW, at similar level ranges, it seems like you're gaining a level every time you blink, with very little actual effort or time spent to get there. In LoTRO, it feels "right" to me. Every time I level, it feels like I've done just enough to have achieved it. It's obviously a very subjective thing, but for me, LoTRO has always just "felt right" in terms of leveling speed.

One thing I do have to agree with larry on (though I'm going to shower right after posting this), is that the "must have the uber gear" players do definitely exist, along with all the drama. In one kinship, there was drama almost every run over someone deserving such-and-such item more than another, hard feelings because someone got a drop that someone else wanted, etc. Another kin I was in for a bit actually disbanded because of constant end-game gear related drama. That's only 2 examples, but there are others that were the same way.

So some people do definitely get petty and greedy and whiney over gear in this game. It's not nearly as frequent as in other MMOs I've played, but that element is definitely there in LoTRO.

In all, I would have a really hard time recommending either one to someone unless I knew exactly what kind of experience they were  looking for. The two games are pretty different in various ways.

"If you just step away for a sec you will clearly see all the pot holes in the road,
    and the cash shop selling asphalt..."
    - Mimzel on F2P/Cash Shops

• blindside044blindside044 Member Posts: 250

LoTRO and DDO are both great games. Though I just cancelled my DDO sub, its only because I am playing LoTRO way too much atm and rarely have time for DDO. Once I get off my LoTRO high (eventually, if that ever happens), I do very much plan on resubbing to DDO.

• PapadamPapadam Member Posts: 2,102
    Originally posted by blindside044

LoTRO and DDO are both great games. Though I just cancelled my DDO sub, its only because I am playing LoTRO way too much atm and rarely have time for DDO. Once I get off my LoTRO high (eventually, if that ever happens), I do very much plan on resubbing to DDO.

DDO is one thoose games I wish I had time to play! If only turbine would make a station pass for their games or give lifetime offer for DDO I would get i in a heart beat.

Ive heard that there have been alot of great changes to DDO and Im probably gonna resub soon to check it out!

I hope Turibnes next game will be a mix between LotrO and DDO.. could be a really great game!

If WoW = The Beatles
    and WAR = Led Zeppelin
    Then LotrO = Pink Floyd

• blindside044blindside044 Member Posts: 250
    Originally posted by Papadam

Originally posted by blindside044

DDO is one thoose games I wish I had time to play! If only turbine would make a station pass for their games or give lifetime offer for DDO I would get i in a heart beat.

Ive heard that there have been alot of great changes to DDO and Im probably gonna resub soon to check it out!

I hope Turibnes next game will be a mix between LotrO and DDO.. could be a really great game!

yea, I started playing about 2-3 months ago after I heard how much it had improved (I hated the game when it launched). And I actually really enjoyed.. but thanks to LoTRO, dont have much time for it. I would definitely consider a lifetime sub though... something about paying just once and not monthly makes it much nicer...