Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Apartments/Hideouts; Social & Stuff

anothernameanothername Member UncommonPosts: 200

Short, how much RP would be in this MOO. I disliked that my CoH char was a bum sleeping under a bridge. She was not even able to walk or had a non-superhero identity. Stuff that made me just cancel it out of boredom after a month or two.

While I like to see Batman, Superman and the others beating the bad guy up in the comics, how long do you think theses characters had survived (popularity wise) if there was never anything else. No identity to hide, no batcave with the cool stuff in storage, no Lois - Clark banter & so on?

Is DCU going to became just a beat em up with level ups, or do they intend to make an mmoRPG ?

Comments

• Jesta052177Jesta052177 Member Posts: 8

If you got bored with CoH/V just because you couldn't "walk" or have a "hide-out" I doubt it was ever the game for you in the first place.

I play CoH/V to play a Super-Hero.. not to play Joe average, wandering around in my secret identity. I have enough "real life" IN my real life..

• craynloncraynlon Member Posts: 255

actually i agree with the op

a system with secret identities and the need to hide them would be really creative and add a new layer to the game. im not sure how it should look like but it could maybe be there instead of a crafting system where your secret identity gives you access to information you hero aler ego could not or just be plain fun and relaxation.

if your bored, visit my blog at:
    http://craylon.wordpress.com/ dealing with the look of mmos with the nvidia 3d vision glasses

• anothernameanothername Member UncommonPosts: 200

I have absolutly no Idea how such a thing like secret IDs could work in an MMO, but I think its a much more obvious part than in CoX. At least, whats Batman without Wayne, Superman without Kent? Its only half the fun.

@Jesta052177

I like the superhero theme of CoX and I know that Secret ID are not really part of the storyline which I did not read fully at the beginning of the game. But it was not the lack of one element that drove my away. It was the lack of many. The examples I made in my opening post where not meant as "demant" to have secret Ds, it was a reminder that all the success from the comics/movies comes from a harmonic play of many different things. Would you have watched the new Superman (or any other superhero movie) if from the beginning to the end NOTHING else than beating up bad guys would happend?

Sure, in a game its interactive, hence you can do this far longer than 90 min. But at some point its just dead boring.

• WolfdorWolfdor Member Posts: 123

Seeing DCUO on display at Comic-con, it doesn't look like social game play is their top priority. 

There was no text chat (at least not on the version we saw), and group size looked like it was going to be limited to 4 people per group.

Another peeve I had, was that all characters could lift cars/buses/boulders even a character like the Tim Drake Robin.  When someone asked why a character not known for being strong could do that, they said because it was 'fun'.  That made me doubt their seriousness in making a game true to the source material.

• NadiaNadia Member UncommonPosts: 11,798
    Originally posted by craynlon

a system with secret identities and the need to hide them would be really creative and add a new layer to the game.

DCUO will use some sort of Secret Identity

dcuosource.com/index.php

Question #3

Q: While DCUO is being billed as a type of action-MMORPG, many gamers enjoy the more social aspects of the MMORPG experience. Do any of the typical social gameplay systems, such as crafting or tradeskilling, fit into this new breed of MMO?

A: Well let’s just say this…I would love to tell you all about our Secret Identity system but we’re not revealing details on that just yet.

Secret Identities are a huge part of the DC universe and we want to make sure we handle them just right. One of our goals to achieve that is to make sure that the action game stays about throwing busses and knocking people over buildings, not snapping pictures or taking notes. In doing that it has led us to what we think is something that is really going to take those elements of MMO’s in an exciting new direction for our players.

• ElRenmazuoElRenmazuo Member RarePosts: 5,361
    Originally posted by Nadia

Originally posted by craynlon

a system with secret identities and the need to hide them would be really creative and add a new layer to the game.

DCUO will use some sort of Secret Identity

dcuosource.com/index.php

Question #3

Q: While DCUO is being billed as a type of action-MMORPG, many gamers enjoy the more social aspects of the MMORPG experience. Do any of the typical social gameplay systems, such as crafting or tradeskilling, fit into this new breed of MMO?

A: Well let’s just say this…I would love to tell you all about our Secret Identity system but we’re not revealing details on that just yet.

Secret Identities are a huge part of the DC universe and we want to make sure we handle them just right. One of our goals to achieve that is to make sure that the action game stays about throwing busses and knocking people over buildings, not snapping pictures or taking notes. In doing that it has led us to what we think is something that is really going to take those elements of MMO’s in an exciting new direction for our players.

Im guessing secret ID will be like a crafting mechanic, I bet they are going to be like the usual alter ego from the famous super heros like Photographer, Business man.

• ZANGFEIZANGFEI Member Posts: 439
    Originally posted by Jesta052177

If you got bored with CoH/V just because you couldn't "walk" or have a "hide-out" I doubt it was ever the game for you in the first place.
    I play CoH/V to play a Super-Hero.. not to play Joe average, wandering around in my secret identity. I have enough "real life" IN my real life..

Tosses Jesta05217.5  a set of keys belonging to <Guess who> words inscribed on case of one Key <Real Life is not here> use the Key.

• ReignOmegaReignOmega Member Posts: 2
    Originally posted by Wolfdor

Seeing DCUO on display at Comic-con, it doesn't look like social game play is their top priority. 
    There was no text chat (at least not on the version we saw), and group size looked like it was going to be limited to 4 people per group.
    Another peeve I had, was that all characters could lift cars/buses/boulders even a character like the Tim Drake Robin.  When someone asked why a character not known for being strong could do that, they said because it was 'fun'.  That made me doubt their seriousness in making a game true to the source material.
     _I dont know how it will work for the NPCs  but i KNOW that SOE had stated at CES that the PCs will only be able to lift things proportionate to the points theyve added to the strength attributes, although i DO agree that robin nor batman nor flash for that matter should be able to lift any sort of vehicle bigger than a moped lol.