Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

How good is EQ2?

I played EQ for years.  I'm waiting for EQ2.  You guys who tested in Beta, how good is it?  I downloaded the movie from the Sony site, looks good.  Have been reading the news for eons and looking at screen shots.  What's your take on it?  Now I don't give a *Iss&*#$%  how it compares to WOW.   Was EQ2 exciting to play?  Did it draw you in and engulf you so that you just wanted to play more and make you hungry for the real game?  Thanks.

Comments

• LugnardLugnard Member Posts: 474

If you're an EQLive fan, stick with it... EQ2 isn't all what it's cracked up to be. I'm currently in the Beta and it's having A LOT of problems at this stage... and it's only just days away from release!

IMO, the game is mediocre at best. Bland/borring quests, lack of solo content after level 20 and "not so hot" gameplay. The game seems to be good in the beginning but at the later levels, it's extremely lacking. Wait about 6 months after release so SOE can fix their "retail beta"...

• BarryManilowBarryManilow Member UncommonPosts: 701

Follow this link to some beautiful End game content Screen shots from beta. The Screen shots are from a FoH member who offers his take on why EQ2 grabbed his attention much more then World of Warcraft. His main point is the lack of challenge in WoW and I agree with him.

He starts off how intense the graphics can be and then gets into why he prefers EQ2 over other games.

I played WoW myself and was a big supporter of the game, til I finally gave up out of boredom and because lack of high end content and plus the fact that you can level up extremely too fast and even low-skilled players were high level as well. There is just no challenge in the game.

I have read alot about EQ2 from alot of the negatives remarks, mostly from WoW trolls to the fanbois of EQ2. Mostly I tried to read through all that crap and tried to get real answers instead of reading hype or flames. And at the end I really think, note I have not played in EQ2 beta, but from the players that have given the game half a chance and actutally played it gave it great to good reviews.

I pre-ordered EQ2. My suggestion is do alot of reading and reseach and try to look pass all the sicko-fans hype/flames and look for real non-biase opinions and go from there.

http://www.fohguild.org/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=12747

• EnigmaEnigma Member UncommonPosts: 11,384

People who have to create conspiracy and hate threads to further a cause lacks in intellectual comprehension of diversity.

• ThoomThoom Member Posts: 436

Excellent!!!!!!!image

• rathmarathma Member UncommonPosts: 3,786

Originally posted by En1Gma
    made it a little bit easier for ya.

Hmm... All i see is pictures. Oh right, that's how people get hyped up about this game.

imageimage

http://www.OriginNow.com - Official Fanboi

EverQuest II : Level 20 Paladin - Antonia Bayle Server
  • Amd64_FX_53Amd64_FX_53 Member Posts: 421

its not to great...i played the beta

imageimageimageimageimageEQ2 Qeynos Guild- http://www.imperium-arcanum.com

Imperium Acranum rapped me

• EnigmaEnigma Member UncommonPosts: 11,384

Originally posted by rathma 
     Hmm... All i see is pictures. Oh right, that's how people get hyped up about this game.

that was a pretty immature statement

People who have to create conspiracy and hate threads to further a cause lacks in intellectual comprehension of diversity.

• j-monsterj-monster Member Posts: 1,060

that was a pretty immature statement

psssh, why because you dont agree?

• corechambercorechamber Member UncommonPosts: 148

I don't understand some of the bad things people are saying about Everquest 2. I have heard many times about how the graphics are not really all that good, and I have seen some screenshots that prove there statement.  I got into beta through the fileplanet giveaway and I can tell you know Everquest 2 has the best graphics I have seen in an mmorpg. Some of these screen shots your seeing are from 1. A poor graphics card, or 2. Someone who don't know how to adjust there graphic settings. If I max out the graphic settings the game is amazing, the shadows the water, everything, Its just to bad I don't have a computer that can run the game that way, I lose alot of fps.

The detail in this game is outstanding, you can see the hard work these guys have put into the quests, and how much the voice acting really adds to the game. If your a roleplayer well the EQ2 will take your gaming to a whole new level.  Its easy to get lost in this world that SOE has so finely crafted, and this time around you can understand most of the lore. The biggest pain in the game is trying to choose what to do next, I will admit some of the quest are cookie cutters to fill in some content but there is more then enough original quest to keep you going at all levels, I took my war to lvl 18 just by questing, solo the whole time.

I hear people complain about lag which I have not yet experienced, only lag I see to get is loss in fps witch makes everything jump, and the quest journal seems to lag from time to time.  As fars a bugs in the game its working like clock work, If this game was to launch today I believe it would have one of the best launches to date.  I think the biggest complaint we will here when the game goes live is it keeps crashing cause a bunch of people will try and run it on a system that UO would bog down.

Everyone has there opinion and its there right to, but don't listen to everything that is said, good or bad.  What you need to do is try the game when it goes live and you will understand why this is the next big MMORPG, this is the next addiction.

• KaelahKaelah Member Posts: 15

I played EQ for years myself, as well as a number of other MMORPG's.  I have been fortunate enough to beta EQ2 and IMO I think they spent too much money and time on graphics and voice overs and not enough time on making good quests, and interesting story/lore, and none of that tongue-in-cheek humor you found in the first one.  They also just did a huge revamp of the spell system with barely over a week left in beta.  None of it will balanced or very tested.

I guess I'm just generally bummed about it.  The game just feels a little flat to me...like it's missing something.  And what's the point in making a game that has such "amazing" graphics when noone will ever see them?  Not very many people, if any, will be able to play the game with the graphic setting turned up.  And the lower quality version looks HORRIBLE! 

Maybe I'm a little harsh on EQ2, more so than any of the others I've recently been testing.  But that's because I expected more from them...

Originally posted by Kaelah

I played EQ for years myself, as well as a number of other MMORPG's.  I have been fortunate enough to beta EQ2 and IMO I think they spent too much money and time on graphics and voice overs and not enough time on making good quests, and interesting story/lore, and none of that tongue-in-cheek humor you found in the first one.  They also just did a huge revamp of the spell system with barely over a week left in beta.  None of it will balanced or very tested.

I guess I'm just generally bummed about it.  The game just feels a little flat to me...like it's missing something.  And what's the point in making a game that has such "amazing" graphics when noone will ever see them?  Not very many people, if any, will be able to play the game with the graphic setting turned up.  And the lower quality version looks HORRIBLE! 

Maybe I'm a little harsh on EQ2, more so than any of the others I've recently been testing.  But that's because I expected more from them...

I remember when I first played the first Everquest back in 98.  It was the first game that forced players in getting 3D video cards.  While Ulitma Online ran fine on older cards, I needed to get the hell out of the PK hell that UO was back then.  And man, I swear EQ was really tough on my system.  I remember zoning that was taking me like 5 minutes.  Sometimes I would zone and my friends would see me just stand at the zone and die from a massive train.  I zone and am already dead.  It was pretty fun at the time.  But as I upgraded my computer EQ ran better and better.

I remember the same agruements back then when people would say that UO's 2D rendered graphics were way better then EQ 3D ugly toons.   Players would complain that they could not run EQ on thier computers but the Devs stuck to thier guns.   EQ devs made a gamble and won at the end.  As time went by people would upgrade thier computers and really experience EQ. 

The same will hold true with EQ2.  I respect SoE because they don't take the easy route.  Sure they could of gone the low polygon count and added really colorful landscapes and made short cuts to please the masses but they don't.

As people upgrade their computers, alot of people do it regardless and as they do they will see EQ2 for what it is, a great game that happens to look beautiful.

Is EQ2 for everyone, no but if you happen to like it and give it half a chance you will be greatly rewarded at the end.  Just like EQ raised the bar back in 99,  EQ2 will raise that bar even higher in 04. 

At the end we all win because successful games only make for better future games.  If  EQ wasn't a big winner back then, who knows what 2D online games we would be playing today. 

imageimage

Game is not for everyone.  And players that really give it a chance do like it for it's content low and high end.  Can that be said about WoW, which greatly lacks in the High end raiding content atm.

• ThoomThoom Member Posts: 436

imageimage

Visual imagery doesn't do it for you? What did you expect? Braille?image

• vash85vash85 Member Posts: 75

I'm having a blast playing EQII, even more fun than WoW (which I played).

• KunarickKunarick Member Posts: 348

Originally posted by Rhoklaw

Me personally, if I want to know what a game is like, I buy it and play it. Most MMOs cost the same as every other computer game and you have 30 days to enjoy it or not. When it comes to games I buy that aren't MMOs like Rome: Total War or SW Battlefront, I'm lucky if I get 30 days of enjoyment period. So look at it this way, if the game looks interesting, try it and if you don't like it, then cancel your subscription. If I trusted reviews and other peoples opinions when purchasing games, I'd probably have wasted more money then if I just tried something that I thought would interest me.

One of many,
    Rhojan

nicely said image

-----------------------------

-----------------------------
    "You sir, are a moron"

• Cik_AsalinCik_Asalin Member Posts: 3,033

I agree...buy it and try it. I found EQ and EQ2 to be tiring, mundane, and depthless without replayability. But trying a few and making your own determination is probably best.

• metalcoremetalcore Member Posts: 798

Played EQ2 in beta, I could rattle on about its many problems but the most striking is its just plain boring.

Stick with EQ, its much more fun.

Now playing: VG (after a long break from MMORPGS)
    Played for more than a month: Darkfall online, Vanguard SOH, Everquest, Horizons, WoW, SWG, Everquest II, Eve

• KaelahKaelah Member Posts: 15

None of this adresses that fact that the rest of the game feels extremely flat to me.  I feel they invested TOO much time and energy on the graphics (that many won't even see) and not enough on the quests, stories, content, and the over-all "fun" feel to the game. 

I also believe people have become way too complacent about companies releasing unfunished games.  I love beta testing and all, but I don't want to have to pay a company to beta test a game.  I'm very patient while beta testing games, I'm there to find bugs and to try and help the game be better.  Once I'm paying to play a game, I expect to be a finished, balanced game, or at least an honest attempt at one!  There will always be a few bugs and a SMALL amount of balancing to be done in a game after release.  EQ2 hasn't even implemented all the aspects and mechanics that will be in the game at release.  It ships in just over 1 week...  not what I would call a finished game.  image