Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

No monthly fee for GW because its not an mmorpg...

neutrenoneutreno Member Posts: 7

Lets get something straight.  In a true MMORPG, the game provider hosts all SERVER services.  When all server services are provided, it costs alot of money to provide the enormous amount of bandwith needed to support a huge load of players.

Guild Wars is battle.net + diablo, but here, the meeting area is graphical compared to diablo, in which the meeting area is a chat room.

Guild Wars is essentially a peer to peer game, no different from starcraft, broodwar, warcraft 3, and the diablo series.  This means that all players are acting as server and client to each other.  This is why there is no monthly fee because the game provider doesnt need to provide any bandwith for you to play. 

In peer to peer games, cheating and hacking is a harsh reality.  Guild Wars will be no different.  In true MMORPGS, the server is authoritative, allowing for much better cheat controlling.   The client is essentially a slave to the server, making mmorpgs the most cheat-free genre of games on the pc.

One thing i noticed right away about Guild Wars is the lack of interaction as far as combat goes.  Looks like a game that will get boring pretty quick.  Id rather play CoH because atleast CoH is an MMORPG.  I havent played every mmorpg, but so far DAOC is the only one ive played that kept me challenged and interested because the combat is very interative and the social aspects are good, the two requirements for a good mmorpg, IMO.

Guild Wars doesnt belong on the mmorpg.com site.  Its a peer-to-peer RPG game. 

Comments

• StormDogStormDog Member Posts: 68

Looking deeply into the acronym MMORPG - Guild Wars is a MMORPG.

MMORPG has nothing to do with the technology used to implement it.

The streaming of content alone is a fair bandwidth load, but I have no idea where you come up with this being a peer-to-peer implentation. If it is, and I am sending out position information to the other 300 people in general areas, along with everyone else sending this information: the world of peer-to-peer has new coding masters.

If you have info on this being peer-to-peer: please post a link.

• K.RoolK.Rool Member Posts: 53

Originally posted by neutreno
    Lets get something straight. In a true MMORPG, the game provider hosts all SERVER services. When all server services are provided, it costs alot of money to provide the enormous amount of bandwith needed to support a huge load of players.
    Guild Wars is battle.net + diablo, but here, the meeting area is graphical compared to diablo, in which the meeting area is a chat room.
    Guild Wars is essentially a peer to peer game, no different from starcraft, broodwar, warcraft 3, and the diablo series. This means that all players are acting as server and client to each other. This is why there is no monthly fee because the game provider doesnt need to provide any bandwith for you to play.
    In peer to peer games, cheating and hacking is a harsh reality. Guild Wars will be no different. In true MMORPGS, the server is authoritative, allowing for much better cheat controlling. The client is essentially a slave to the server, making mmorpgs the most cheat-free genre of games on the pc.
    One thing i noticed right away about Guild Wars is the lack of interaction as far as combat goes. Looks like a game that will get boring pretty quick. Id rather play CoH because atleast CoH is an MMORPG. I havent played every mmorpg, but so far DAOC is the only one ive played that kept me challenged and interested because the combat is very interative and the social aspects are good, the two requirements for a good mmorpg, IMO.
    Guild Wars doesnt belong on the mmorpg.com site. Its a peer-to-peer RPG game.

That's your version. I say:
    Nothing can forever stay static, Sony Entertainment and USA-world-politics aside, and those are going down the drain fast :)

Guild Wars may not "feel" like a true MMORPG, but hey, it's the next evolution.
    You compare it to D2. Notice how close the two things D2 and MMORPG are? One is a ARPG, one a MMORPG. Both are RPGs. By that, GW is something like a AMMORPG.

If you think the "MM" is missing, you should play again. If you think all the cities are for is D2-lobby, you need to think less D2. If you think socializing is low in the game, you should start with it, instead of moan about it.

My friendlist is constantly growing, and the in-game-mails are floating back and forth. So far, I love the game, I hope I can get a closed spot. Some more items, some more world, some more weapons, and this could very well be the next evolutional step in MMORPGs, finally bringing the casual players closer to the power-players, nullifying the problem of "power-inflation" other MMORPGs have...

K.Rool,
    Master of unnecessary knowledge...

Blame your fate!

• neutrenoneutreno Member Posts: 7

The peer-to peer aspect comes up when the party enters an instanced mission.   In an MMORPG, all instanced areas are hosted on the server, everything is hosted on the server.   In COH, when a party enters a mission, its hosted on the server. 

What you are talking bout.. the 300 ppl in the same area is not peer-to-peer.  I didnt mean to say the whole game was peer-to-peer.  Sorry to be confusing.

Unless every aspect of the game is hosted on the server, we will see the same hacking/cheating problems in Guild Wars that we saw in the Diablo series.

I dont mean to bash the game at all cause Im sure alot of ppl will enjoy it, but I dont wanna spend time on a game that is susceptible to hacks.

Technically speaking, I guess you you could call this an MMORPG, but myself and many other players are looking for a game that avoids this style of implementation, which opens the door to Diablo-style hacks (hacked gear, etc)

First and foremost, I want cheat-free gaming, otherwise I dont think its worth spending a dime on.

• K.RoolK.Rool Member Posts: 53

Technically speaking, I guess you you could call this an MMORPG, but myself and many other players are looking for a game that avoids this style of implementation, which opens the door to Diablo-style hacks (hacked gear, etc)

After playing 4 1/2 years of EQ, and 3 years of DAoC, I can say you that things being hosted on the server does not stop cheating and hacking even a bit.

You still see 10.000 hacks, just that now they were programmed by 10.000 people with knowledge of programming instead of 10.000 random n00blets...

(edit)
    Besides, if it's P2P-based, how come my client drops if the server connection blocks? If it's updated in realtime, then it is server-based, or at least every action is double-checked by the server.

Additionally, how the hell did you come up with the idea that combat in GW is non-interactive compared to DAoC?!?!?!
    I need to use soooo many skills and adapt to sooo many things in a short time in GW, in DAoC, I press nearest enemy, press Stun, press nuke a few times, rince and repeat...

Blame your fate!

• KartelKartel Member Posts: 241

neutreno
    I stopped reading your first post about half way through, as it became painfuly clear how ignorant you are about GWs network structure.

• SpeedMannSpeedMann Member UncommonPosts: 333

Lets get something straight.  In a true MMORPG, the game provider hosts all SERVER services.  When all server services are provided, it costs alot of money to provide the enormous amount of bandwith needed to support a huge load of players.
    Guild Wars is essentially a peer to peer game, no different from starcraft, broodwar, warcraft 3, and the diablo series.  This means that all players are acting as server and client to each other.  This is why there is no monthly fee because the game provider doesnt need to provide any bandwith for you to play. 
    In peer to peer games, cheating and hacking is a harsh reality.  Guild Wars will be no different.  In true MMORPGS, the server is authoritative, allowing for much better cheat controlling.   The client is essentially a slave to the server, making mmorpgs the most cheat-free genre of games on the pc.
    One thing i noticed right away about Guild Wars is the lack of interaction as far as combat goes.  Looks like a game that will get boring pretty quick.  Id rather play CoH because atleast CoH is an MMORPG.  I havent played every mmorpg, but so far DAOC is the only one ive played that kept me challenged and interested because the combat is very interative and the social aspects are good, the two requirements for a good mmorpg, IMO.
    Guild Wars doesnt belong on the mmorpg.com site.  Its a peer-to-peer RPG game. 

You really don't have any idea about this game do you. Name a mmorpg that has interaction while fighting. There all the same either use magic, swords or arrows and keep shooting till they or you are dead. Sooooooo interactive.  I have to say i like GW. Awesome game

==================================================
    speedmann.blogspot.com

*Guild Wars and World of Warcraft will kick @55*

==================================================
    Happy! Happy! Joy! Joy!

• AshenkharAshenkhar Member Posts: 61

Originally posted by Kartel

neutreno
    I stopped reading your first post about half way through, as it became painfuly clear how ignorant you are about GWs network structure.

Heheh, that's when it became evident to me that he's just trolling.

• NeasNeas Member Posts: 887

NOT THIS AGAIN!!!

This same topic came up the last time they had their trial weekend.. at E3 time. I remember that then... Basically some people said its mmorpg.

Some people said it wasn't

Then the Devs said they wont goi by traditional names and defined it as CORPG. Coperative Online Role Playing Game.

Please lets not flame over this one.... its like marmite.... nobody will back down... end of story.

Either way i agree with thread starter and will be going World Of Warcraft i was sick of the cheating in diablo 2. Dont want a repeat.....

You pay for what you get.... when comparing Guild Wars to World Of Warcraft.

Comparing GUild Wars to other mmorpgs and Guild wars is a decent game.

Beta Tested: Lineage 2, Ryzom, City of Heroes, RYL, World Of Warcraft European
    Truly Loved: World of Warcraft

Beta Tested: Lineage 2, Ryzom, City of Heroes, RYL, EverQuest 2 World Of Warcraft European
    Truly Loved: World of Warcraft