Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

from WoW to guild wars

ZKaaZKaa Member Posts: 16

I think to buy GW today, i played a trial some time ago and i really liked.

However, i cant play WoW anymore, 4 years lost with WoW and honestly, i am totally disapointed with WoW, i dont want to start talking about it, i just want to leave WoW for good, and i try to find a possible altenative.

Now, i have some question:

- you can solo everything in GW? (i am looking for a real RPG, who dont force me to group always) or is fallowing the same formula tank/healer/dps like in wow.

- how good is RPG part? i mean, dungeons and so on, i loved Diablo/Mythos, is GW close to them?

- is PVP balanced?

- shall i buy GW now or wait for GW2? i will have any discounts for GW2 if i have GW?

Thanks for all answers!

Comments

• redOrcredOrc Member Posts: 100
    Originally posted by ZKaa

However, i cant play WoW anymore, 4 years lost with WoW and honestly, i am totally disapointed with WoW, i dont want to start talking about it, i just want to leave WoW for good, and i try to find a possible altenative.

- you can solo everything in GW? (i am looking for a real RPG, who dont force me to group always) or is fallowing the same formula tank/healer/dps like in wow.
    - how good is RPG part? i mean, dungeons and so on, i loved Diablo/Mythos, is GW close to them?
    - is PVP balanced?
    - shall i buy GW now or wait for GW2? i will have any discounts for GW2 if i have GW?

Thanks for all answers!

1. You can solo, with several NPCS, most of the quests and missions. There are 2 kind of NPCS for that. Henchman - which come with a predefined skill+armor set and Heros which you level and come with skills and armor you've got for them.

2. GW uses different formula, but you can find and design many builds using the characters you have. You can use most characters as tank or dps even if the core use of them is different. In GW it all comes down to the build you create, but You will learn that as you develop your characters.

3. PVP is the most balanced ther is. Actualy WOW PVP was developed to answer GW PVP.

4. Buy, GW2 is too far away and the game is cheap now.

• RocktoberRocktober Member Posts: 118

Soloing shouldn't be a problem if that's what you're looking for.  After starting a new character, I'm on the last mission of the game and have soloed everything with henchman/heroes except for one mission (which I ALMOST beat, but just couldn't seem to) towards the end of the game.  It may take a few more tries as opposed to having a good all human group, but if soloing is what you prefer, it is possible.

------------------------------------------------------------
    You can't win - if you strike me down I shall respawn more powerful than you could possibly imagine!

• LydonLydon Member UncommonPosts: 2,938
    - is PVP balanced?

1) You can most definitely solo. In all towns there are NPC henchmen available for hire, which will accompany you on missions and quests. If you buy Nightfall and/or Eye of the North, you will also gain access to Heroes, which are cstomizable henchmen (you choose their skills, armor etc.)

2) The RPG is excellent. There are plenty of quests, and missions are interesting. A nice little touch is that all missions have cinematic cutscenes in which your actual character is involved.

3) It is not totally balanced. I think it is impossible for any PvP to ever be balanced. But it's definitely the most balanced PvP there is on the market in my opinion. You can counter just about anything with the right skill build.

4) Definitely buy it now. We don't even have a release date for GW2, not to mention not even a beta date. Plus, you'll be able to "save" your Guild Wars achievements and gain rewards for them in GW2.

• HalandirHalandir Member UncommonPosts: 773

If you want to buy GW now is a great time. The game has just been "relaunched" and you should be able to get a complete collection for the price of one game.

GW is great for casual gamers as well as more hardcore types. The "holy trinity" of healer/dps/tank is still in play but FAR from the only option. AND you never have to wait for a healer or some other char because you can make your team with hencmen/heroes or make a team with other humans and fill up with heroes/henchmen.

Every normal quest and mission is doable with just you and computercontrolled heroes/henchmen. A few "elite" areas require at least 1 other human player.

If you liked Diablo I think you will like GW as well.

PvP is very different from most mmorpg PvP.  You will have different options ranging from Random Arenas (4vs4 random teams) over Alliance Battles, Team Arenas and Heroes Ascent to "real" 8vs8 Guild Wars. To be succesful you WILL need to spend some time unlocking skills and being part of a GvG requires membership of a guild or a very nice friendlist.

In the PvE world in GW there is no PvP so ganking/griefing is nonexistant.

One important thing: GW is very different from WoW in most ways. If you expect GW to be just a "free" WoW you might get disappointed. There is no "auction house" or tradeskills in GW. All the (PvE) focus is on quests/missions and progression through the game.

While there are some very rare and expensive weapons in the game they only differ in appearence. A rare 100k sword will have the same stats as a common 2k sword.

We dont need casuals in our games!!! Errm... Well we DO need casuals to fund and populate our games - But the games should be all about "hardcore" because: We dont need casuals in our games!!!
    (repeat ad infinitum)

• SecromSecrom Member Posts: 318

I'd say, your best bet at this point is to go for the Platinum Edition to start with. You get the original campaign and the Eye of the North expansion.

The campaign will let you level at a slower pace than Factions or Nightfall, which IMO would be needed to get rid of "WoW reflexes" ;)

Eye of the North is a bridge between Guild Wars and Guild Wars 2 so your achievements in the current game can be inherited by your descendency in the next chapter. It also boasts loads of dungeons.

The Complete Collection is a far better deal in my opinion.

• ZKaaZKaa Member Posts: 16

I am already lvl 10, and i can say i love the game. YEAH, I LIKE IT. Thanks guys.

• NadiaNadia Member UncommonPosts: 11,798

glad you are enjoying the game

2 helpful sites

GW Wiki

wiki.guildwars.com/wiki/Main_Page

GW Guru forums

www.guildwarsguru.com/forum/

• QuizzicalQuizzical Member LegendaryPosts: 25,355

If you're going to refer someone to a wiki for Guild Wars, try the one that actually has the good information on the game:

http://guildwars.wikia.com/wiki/Main_Page

Virtually everything in the game is doable with just henchmen and heroes, even without the pve-only cheat skills.  The only real exceptions are a handful of areas where henchmen aren't allowed that don't have any purpose other than farming, which itself doesn't have any purpose.

As for waiting for Guild Wars 2, that would be a huge mistake.  All indications that I've seen are that it might be a pretty good game in its own right, but unlikely to be as good as GW1, let alone better.

Originally posted by Quizzical

If you're going to refer someone to a wiki for Guild Wars, try the one that actually has the good information on the game:
    http://guildwars.wikia.com/wiki/Main_Page

I'm sorry, but despite Wikia having a few hundred more articles, the official Wiki is updated much quicker and has a far more simplistic design, making it easier to use. Apart from that, it's accessible from in-game which is a huge bonus. 

• almerelalmerel Member UncommonPosts: 658

Good to see you enjoying the game :)

What did you end up buying to start with?

-Almerel

Hello my old friend.

• MwajiMwaji Member Posts: 229

Yeh I  am getting a real Asherons call 2 vibe from GW2, Guild Wars itself is ok but I never did like all the instanced areas and the pvp is too focused on Arena style battle, not to say the game is bad, the game is well put together and by all means a huge pvp step up from WOW, to say the least.

• sectorrrrsectorrrr Member Posts: 7

You can solo only common bosses and creeps in gw,not bosses.For bosses in dungeons you need more people.There are elite areas(The deep and Urgoz Waren) where you need to be like full party of 12 ppl which is pretty much for GW.
    I have no idea because i have never played Diablo/Mythos but  dungeons are not that hard but its still a lot of fun ;]
    - is PVP balanced?
    If you want to compare GW pvp to WoW pvp,gw pvp is way more balanced than wow :P.The PvP in gw is the best from all MMO's.There are many pvp mods like Heroes Ascent,Hero Battles,Team Arena,Random Arena,Zaichen Chellange,Zaichen Elite and the high end pvp  whcih is GvG(Guild vs Guild) For almost every type of arena you can achieve different titles for Heroes Ascent(HA)-Hero title; Hero Battles-Commander ;Team Arena/Random Arena-Guadiator ;GvG-Champion.Each title have more than 1 rank for example Hero title max rank is 15(for almost 4 years of non-stop playing only 2 ppl have r15).
     There is almost nothing which we know about gw2,so ill recomend you to w8 or get another NCsoft mmo-Aion Online xP
    Thanks for all answers!