Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Is this a mmorpg ?

KimpanKimpan Member Posts: 15

Hey.

Are there any part in guild wars you can play freely whitout level missions ?

Anywhere you will be able to walk as you want as in L2 for expample and do what you want.
Ore is it just a Mission level map game ?

If there is, why even call this a mmorpg ?, i mean is like diablo 2 multiplayer but only you can be many people in the town.
The npcs dosent even respawn outside town frome what i have seen.

I dont know how the full version would be.
But this game would be awsome in a living world instead of a descided map game that you are gonna haft to play over and over again.

A big world, No limit how many you can be at the same spot. Guild wars would be awsome in bigger free battles in this game whitout the arenas. Its fun right now but iknow you will get bored to death of it afterawhile.

Comments

• InnfernoInnferno Member Posts: 124
    Yeah its an MMORPG, just not quite in the traditional sense.  I've played with more new people tonight is this MMORPG than I have in any other game...if thats not massively multiplayer then what is?

A UK/Euro based PVP WoW guild - Interested? Check out Vae Victus

• KimpanKimpan Member Posts: 15

well you basicly can only play whit like 8 people max at the time.
    Thats not what i call a mmorpg. A mmorpg is where you met people allover the place and interact and stuff.

Not a a 100 meter big space where you say LFG LFG LFG
    And then you spawn in to the map, And start killing.
    And gets out and do the same thing, Ore get back to town there you have alot of people but basicly you can only trade whit them ore talk nothing else.

mmorpg for me is when you have larger squad, Larger teams working togheter, A big world where you met people everywhere.
    This is like a normal game multiplayer but you have a town whit many people in it.

And thats prolly why they dont charge it monthly.

• numaticnumatic Member UncommonPosts: 670

Technically it is an MMORPG. Because thousands of players are connected per a server. However, its not "really" an MMORPG in the sense of regular MMO's. Everything in this game is instanced. Meaning zones are loaded for only a select few players. Even cities have "dstricts" which will only allow a maximum amount of characters until a new district is created. Unlike a regular MMO where everyone can be in the same place at the same time.

But it is designed so you can go into any district you want. This helps when you want to play with friends or guild members.

• ArgeanArgean Member Posts: 126

Originally posted by Kimpan
    Hey.Are there any part in guild wars you can play freely whitout level missions ?Anywhere you will be able to walk as you want as in L2 for expample and do what you want.

Yes there are explorable areas. Just walk through any of the gates that you see a white haze. This will take you areas you can walk around and kill stuff. Some of them have mini missions. But I have only found one those so far.

Eve-Online

Eve-Online

• KimpanKimpan Member Posts: 15

Originally posted by Argean
    Hey.Are there any part in guild wars you can play freely whitout level missions ?Anywhere you will be able to walk as you want as in L2 for expample and do what you want.

Yes there are explorable areas. Just walk through any of the gates that you see a white haze. This will take you areas you can walk around and kill stuff. Some of them have mini missions. But I have only found one those so far.

Eve-Online

yeah did that 1 time killed a few and they didnt respawn ore anything, And the only thing i could follow was the road. I think the hole world should be able to the players.

So they can make there own game history instead of, Yes you finnaly made all the missions now you can repeat them 100 times :P

And i think it is cind sad they make a game of this quality in to what it is now : /

• smakusmaku Member Posts: 67

I hope english is your second language...

I feel more stupid after every post i read on these forums... and it has an effect that brings down my english comprehension and spelling significantly.

People need to pay attention in school, especially prior to high school when you learn the basics.

• CoreSuckYaCoreSuckYa Member Posts: 3

Originally posted by smaku

I feel more stupid after every post i read on these forums... and it has an effect that brings down my english comprehension and spelling significantly.
    People need to pay attention in school, especially prior to high school when you learn the basics.

better then an empty post like yours

• sliversliver Member Posts: 132

Originally posted by CoreSuckYa
    Originally posted by smaku

better then an empty post like yours

Nice first post.

And yeah, there are explorable areas. Just because its instanced doesnt mean its not an mmo, city of heroes uses instances for everything, including the cities.

well for me it gears more towards cooperative rpg with 3d lobby

• K.RoolK.Rool Member Posts: 53

well you basicly can only play whit like 8 people max at the time.
    Thats not what i call a mmorpg. A mmorpg is where you met people allover the place and interact and stuff.

Not a a 100 meter big space where you say LFG LFG LFG
    And then you spawn in to the map, And start killing.
    And gets out and do the same thing, Ore get back to town there you have alot of people but basicly you can only trade whit them ore talk nothing else.

mmorpg for me is when you have larger squad, Larger teams working togheter, A big world where you met people everywhere.
    This is like a normal game multiplayer but you have a town whit many people in it.

And thats prolly why they dont charge it monthly.

While you are true, consider the background.

Has ANY of the "true" MMORPGs so far worked without people exploiting the system for whatever advantage they can get?
    NO!

That's prolly why a change in the underlying system (which was unchanged since back from the time of MUDs) is something I welcome - finally some new inventions, instead of the same game with other classes, spells and graphics.

Guild Wars plays very differently from other MMORPGs, that's true. But, won't you consider System Shock one or two strange for a FPS either? Different doesn not necessarly mean nothing-to-do-with. Guild Wars is a MMORPG.
    I already met plenty of cool people, have a few in my friendlist, I am sending Messages (VERY cool feature, in-game mail!) all the time...

K.Rool,
    Master of unnecessary knowledge...

Blame your fate!

well when we put guild wars as a mmorpg we have to do it with diablo and his clones also wich allow mp where you use your character and have a battle.net like lobby either 2d or 3d doesnt matter

• K.RoolK.Rool Member Posts: 53

It's not like Diablo II though.

While you may compare the general layout, the skill-system adds A LOT more strategy, while Diablo has NO strategy, just tactics.

Additionally, the whole world-system is more advanced. Now, you may say a "deeper" D2. You may also speak of a "more accessible" MMORPG.

Two names for the same thing in the end :)

K.Rool,
    Master of unnecessary knowledge...

Blame your fate!