Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

I predict a rapid exodus of players from WoW in early 2009

Comments

• MwajiMwaji Member Posts: 229
    Originally posted by popinjay

How can you shoot down trolls when you don't know what your talking about, that's about as useful as having a retarded math teacher.

No wonder you're talking about retarded math teachers. If you think this is math:

Cloud? whats soo hard to understand? Dead server= Low pop = Blizz create new Dead Server = Higher pop? the math doesn't work.

it's obvious this subject hits a little too close to home for you.

Home schooled or self-taught?

Getting AnGrY soo ANGRY

I was just pointing out that you don't have any idea what your talking about and still don't. Your not even at the level of a fanboi, I can at least respect a fanboi for actually playing the game. Run along now.

Originally posted by bodypass

Originally posted by snowyjoe

Everyone's definition of casual is diffrent.
    My definition of "casual" is able to play a game, when I want to, not that i have to.
    I like grinding for rep, and doing dailys..... but not every single day.  
    If having to play game every single day in order to acturally get somewhere....... might not be the game for me.

May I remind you that you admitted somewhere above to be playing Wow for 2 years.

That takes an awful long period to understand you dind't like to play it.

Now two possibilities : OR you didn't play it for 2 years, OR you are a very slow person to understand a game.

Your choice.

Uh Oh the Full moon is out I see Fanbois aren't taking anymore crap!!  All Snowyjoe really said is he thinks the game is boring as hell, no need to do all the namecalling.

• NightbladeX1NightbladeX1 Member Posts: 201

Now two possibilities : OR you didn't play it for 2 years, OR you are a very slow person to understand a game.

MMORPGs are in a state of constant change and evolution. Many people did not like the direction the game was going in,  thus quit.

Congratulations; you are either immensely stupid, or a bad troll.

I read what he said he was Very clear that it was just mind numbing boredom.

• just1opinionjust1opinion Member UncommonPosts: 4,641
    Originally posted by hidden1

I will be unsubscribing WoW when Darkfall comes out... thank god I won't have to deal w/ QQing carebears who hate being ganked.
    I can freely pvp w/out people complaining... unless they have no clue that DF is a sandbox pvp mmo, in which case it's their dumb fault for joining DF.

Why don't you just leave NOW?  O.o   Considering that you constantly have negative things to say about WoW and pride yourself in making DF threads with "rules" on who can post, then proceed to spam post on it YOURSELF.....I really think you're probably "done" with WoW.  So why not LEAVE and make room in the queue for one of the OTHER 11 million people that are logging in?  Hmmm?

President of The Marvelously Meowhead Fan Club

• just1opinionjust1opinion Member UncommonPosts: 4,641
    Originally posted by misatok579

I agree with your prediction of WoW actually.  They claim they have 11.5 million subs on their website - however if you check wowcensus.com you will find that of all the pvp/pve servers and both factions - not including lvls 1-9 - you get a figure of 7,886,489 granted this is not including lvls 1-9 since most players have alts those lvls - this figure is from today on their website if you search all realms, all factions.  I don't believe much of what they release - IF they were losing subs they wouldn't post it I wouldn't think.  I think that WoW has honestly had its day in the sun and now most subs, myself included, are just looking for a new one to run to a.s.a.p.  The game is too congested with teenagers and customer service has dropped since TBC came out - its taken me 8 hrs to get a GM response and that's just unacceptable in my book.  Anyway, the lack of good mmorpgs is what prevents most of us from leaving.   But I definitely agree with your prediction regarding WoW. 
    The only other one I'm interested in is Aion - I hope your prediction isn't correct because I'm really looking forward to trying this game. 

Uhm...hello?  WoWCensus information comes from ONLY THOSE PLAYERS that actually HAVE the mod, WoWCensus Plus.  Now...I personally don't even know anyone that USES that mod, and I'm QUITE SURE that a very good percentage of players do not use it.  So....like XFire statistics, that are always quoted on here....it is NOT an accurate account.

God, I love how people try to turn things into facts, just because they want it to be so.

President of The Marvelously Meowhead Fan Club

• bodypassbodypass Member Posts: 770
    Originally posted by girlgeek

Originally posted by misatok579

I agree with your prediction of WoW actually.  They claim they have 11.5 million subs on their website - however if you check wowcensus.com you will find that of all the pvp/pve servers and both factions - not including lvls 1-9 - you get a figure of 7,886,489 granted this is not including lvls 1-9 since most players have alts those lvls - this figure is from today on their website if you search all realms, all factions.  I don't believe much of what they release - IF they were losing subs they wouldn't post it I wouldn't think.  I think that WoW has honestly had its day in the sun and now most subs, myself included, are just looking for a new one to run to a.s.a.p.  The game is too congested with teenagers and customer service has dropped since TBC came out - its taken me 8 hrs to get a GM response and that's just unacceptable in my book.  Anyway, the lack of good mmorpgs is what prevents most of us from leaving.   But I definitely agree with your prediction regarding WoW. 
    The only other one I'm interested in is Aion - I hope your prediction isn't correct because I'm really looking forward to trying this game. 

Uhm...hello?  WoWCensus information comes from ONLY THOSE PLAYERS that actually HAVE the mod, WoWCensus Plus.  Now...I personally don't even know anyone that USES that mod, and I'm QUITE SURE that a very good percentage of players do not use it.  So....like XFire statistics, that are always quoted on here....it is NOT an accurate account.

God, I love how people try to turn things into facts, just because they want it to be so.

HAHA LOL.

Not only that, but that figure is only from US/EU servers. not the world servers (not even the Russian servers).

And it only tracks players with the aid of Census plus. With these kind of server numbers these days (257 servers in EU alone) it is IMPOSSIBLE to see anything. With this "system" : if one guy or two guys are not logging in on their server, that complete server gives "0" as a daily result in players playing.

What a laugh.

• metalhead980metalhead980 Member Posts: 2,658

All I ever hear about when someone boosts about WoW is sub numbers.

I'm sorry after over 10 years of mmos I am so fucking tired of the same vanilla shit.

From EQ to WoW farming the same bullshit dungeons for another teir of armor fucking kills me.

I would rather smash my face with my own keyboard one million times until I pass out bloody on my monitor then grind one more raid, BG, arena or lame souless Daily quest.

Thank god the MMO genre has games that don't follow the EQ/WoW model or I would have left the MMO genre for good more then three years ago.

Souless crafting, pvp and gear grinds and terrible lore isnt my Idea of a good mmo.

PLaying: EvE, Ryzom

Waiting For: Earthrise, Perpetuum

• IcoGamesIcoGames Member Posts: 2,360
    Originally posted by metalhead980

I'm sorry after over 10 years of mmos I am so fucking tired of the same vanilla shit.
    From EQ to WoW farming the same bullshit dungeons for another teir of armor fucking kills me.
    I would rather smash my face with my own keyboard one million times until I pass out bloody on my monitor then grind one more raid, BG, arena or lame souless Daily quest.
    Thank god the MMO genre has games that don't follow the EQ/WoW model or I would have left the MMO genre for good more then three years ago.

Souless crafting, pvp and gear grinds and terrible lore isnt my Idea of a good mmo.

Other than smashing my head into a keyboard, I can agree MetalHead.  My problem with the market is that most studios seem bent on copying Blizzard, but doing so without understanding why Blizzard has been successful.  With the exception of LoTR, every game I've played in recent years has, imo, been a lesser version of WoW. 

Don't get me wrong, I greatly enjoy playing WoW.  However, I don't need another, usually poorly designed and/or implemented, rehashed fantasy themepark. 

Like you, I think, I would prefer a few viable choices with sandboxes.  Currently, Eve is the only sandbox worth exploring. 

Ico
    Oh, cruel fate, to be thusly boned. Ask not for whom the bone bones. It bones for thee.

• The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • popinjaypopinjay Member Posts: 6,539

Originally posted by metalhead980

I never understand why people blame Wow for the MMO industry's failure to produce stable, fun AND innovative games. I guess it just comes with being #1, you're the whipping boy for that genre's ills, like Microsoft and McDonalds are.

The "souless crafting, pvp and gear grinds" were made specifically for the Wow audience, not the MMO wide audience. They weren't trying to get people who could compare the virtues and complexities of DAoC's pvp system, Vanguard's crafting and EQ's longevity and who knew all the terms and discuss them at length over Trade channels. They wanted people who wanted to log in and have simple, easy fun...and they got them all.

Blizzard identified a group, made a product and stuck with it. Seriously I don't see what's wrong with giving the people who want it, exactly what they expect. I mean, they ARE a business first and foremost with priority to THEIR base, not the small minority of gaming elites who know what sandboxes, FPS and RTS games are. That is someone else's headache, not Blizzards.

These other companies don't really seem to have a target audience or a soul. It just seems as if every other MMO company is just trying to pick up the scraps that fall through the Wow net, cause when scraps fall off a 12 million dollar buffet, there's plenty still left to eat. They really have no idea what base they want to identify, what you guys really want, or how to make it all. Very few can but fail to implement it. So the rest see the failures and just try to copy the leader, that's only natural and human nature.

But it's not Wow's fault from dragging the industry down anymore than it's Vanguard's fault for failing to "save" the industry from mediocrity.

• DreamagramDreamagram Member Posts: 798
    Originally posted by Arthousesig

1. WoW: currently has the largest number of subs although this has already dropped down to around 9 million from a high of 11.x million. Around 6 million of the remaining 9 million subs is from the China/East Asia region

There goes this poster's credibility for all future.

Even a blind squirrel finds a nut once in a while, and by June 2008 there were so many doomsayers around AoC that blind squirrels everywhere predicted their doom. ;-)

Originally posted by Dreamagram

1. WoW: currently has the largest number of subs although this has already dropped down to around 9 million from a high of 11.x million. Around 6 million of the remaining 9 million subs is from the China/East Asia region

Even a blind squirrel finds a nut once in a while, and by June 2008 there were so many doomsayers around AoC that blind squirrels everywhere predicted their doom. ;-)

Even a  Blind Squirrel finds a nut, Even a Fanboi finds a dingleberry to hang on to in spite of the odds.WoW is already on the way down, maybe not quickly right now, but the terribad expansion they just released can't help. Exept for the most dedicated WoW worshipper most normal players are probably just well bored and would jump at the chance to leave WoW, many have already tried but since AOC and WAR were basically the same game with pvp addons and glitchy as hell it was just a chioce of which boring WoW clone do I want to play.

• Loke666Loke666 Member EpicPosts: 21,441

2. WAR: currently the 2nd largest mmo in subs, although a very high quality mmo its fortress endgame is currently broken (although its city sieges are not) making the #1 priority for Mythic to fix endgame fortress sieges. The success of this game depends on how fast and how well they can fix this part of the RVR endgame. although the PVE instances and the rest of the RVR experience are all top notch. WAR is the likely destination of all the current top mmo guilds and players from WoW and other games
    3. EVE: not often mentioned but this mmo has carved out its niche and is holding steady, doing what it does in a large sandbox space environment that appeals to the hardcore sandbox PVP crowd (in space)

Both Eve and Guildwars are in front of Warhammer on X-fire (and not by little), do WAR really have more subs?

I don't see Wow go down fast the next 6 months, few new games will release then, the late 2009 maybe but for a exodus to happen you must have a new great game. I don't think Aion is enough for that, or Df for that matter.

• popinjaypopinjay Member Posts: 6,539

Originally posted by Mwaji
    Originally posted by Dreamagram

Even a  Blind Squirrel finds a nut, Even a Fanboi finds a dingleberry to hang on to in spite of the odds.WoW is already on the way down, maybe not quickly right now, but the terribad expansion they just released can't help. Exept for the most dedicated WoW worshipper most normal players are probably just well bored and would jump at the chance to leave WoW, many have already tried but since AOC and WAR were basically the same game with pvp addons and glitchy as hell it was just a chioce of which boring WoW clone do I want to play.

You really, REALLY want people to play Darkfall, huh Mwaji?

I don't know if you know this or not, but you are barking up the wrong tree with Wow subscribers. You might want to try recruiting from AoC subs (They said "Darkfall WHAT???".. oh well). Try Aion (Oh wait, they laughed you guys out of there already. never mind) Maybe Warhammer (Err.. same thing, huh? Jeez) I know, GuildWars (Huh? They said they're waiting for GW2? sorry man), Mortal Online? (Yeah, that was a stupid suggestion, sorry). Or how about LOTRO? (Doh.. wait, we don't Pvp over there in my game). Hello Kitty Online? (THEM TOO? dang) Guess no one wants to be gankfood.

Well, here's hoping TCofS has a less than stellar career, then they'll be looking for a home. Or you can wait for Lego Universe. That's a way's off and they are probably bored right now.

And yes Dreamagram:

For those who might remember me, I predicted the rapid demise of Age of Conan back in June 2008, looking purely at the game mechanics and the nature of the game itself. This was at the same time review magazines were throwing around scores of 9/10 for AOC, but it was obvious the game would die from playing the game, which is how I make my predictions :)

Everyone WILL remember him now. :)

• NadiaNadia Member UncommonPosts: 11,798
    Originally posted by popinjay

And yes Dreamagram:

For those who might remember me, I predicted the rapid demise of Age of Conan back in June 2008, looking purely at the game mechanics and the nature of the game itself. This was at the same time review magazines were throwing around scores of 9/10 for AOC, but it was obvious the game would die from playing the game, which is how I make my predictions :)

Everyone WILL remember him now. :)

heh

for his next prediction,  it will be amusing linking back to this thread

• GhistGhist Member Posts: 275

The only thing I see on the radar that will cut into WoW is another Blizzard game Diablo III.

Waiting for the next thing

• Frostbite05Frostbite05 Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 1,880

no pretty sure blizz has over 9mil. Thats one thing they don't bullshit and thats there sub numbers.

• Kieth75Kieth75 Member Posts: 51

Even if game is better than wow whos going to know it cause wow is so big now? It will just stay big and die of old age. Only way wow ever is going to die if other game comes at wow with big knife and stabs wow in the neck.

• stayontargetstayontarget Member RarePosts: 6,519

I predict a long life for this thread.  lol

Velika: City of Wheels: Among the mortal races, the humans were the only one that never built cities or great empires; a curse laid upon them by their creator, Gidd, forced them to wander as nomads for twenty centuries...

• Frostbite05Frostbite05 Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 1,880

Like I've said before the only game that will beat WoW is blizzards next mmo and thats not gonna come out for at least another 4 years

• WebferretWebferret Member UncommonPosts: 90

Well I decided to return to WoW after a year off when WotlK came out to see if it could spark an interest again, I enjoyed the leveling to 80, though it was way too easy to go from 70 to 80. The dungeons were fun the first time or two (normal and heroic 5 mans)  But then it gets boring fast for me. The guild I was in was getting into Naxx etc but I just couldnt be bothered tbh after being bored from 5 mans heriocs day in day out and I found the 10 mans dungeons were just to similar to running heroic 5 mans.

So I decided not to resub again after this months is up, and I think this time its de-activated fro good. I as well need something new, WoW was fun when it first came out ( played beta) but slowly got boring, due to same ol' same ol' in everything you do.

I do hope WoW doesnt suffer a mass exodus as it doesnt deserve that to happen to it. It has been a good solid and reliable MMO for many peeps, but for me the days are now over. I am now looking for something fresh and new that hopefully comes this year or next ( I can wait plenty of gaming life in me yet LOL )

Cheers

Tan

• RakujiRakuji Member UncommonPosts: 144

Unfortunatly WoW will probably never die. WoW is a fun yet simplistic game. Most People prefer the basic run up press some buttons kill 2 mobs and gain a level. No its not really that simple but a good example if do say so myself.  WoW isn't going to DIE anytime soon. But at the rate they are going they will run out of content soon enough. Why do I say that? Because with each expansion they release You the players are going to get 10 more levels to go grind. With that the classes will become even more unbalanced. Don't get me wrong I played Wrath of the Lich king and Kodo's because Lich king was fun. For about a month. I guess it is just me though I havn't felt any type of attactment to a character since EQ was in its prime. You remember? When you actually had to work to gain a level? Quad kiting 4 mobs at a time? Getting in that awsome camp and not ever wanting to get up cause you were getting awsome xp. The Fear of running from mobs that are coming to get you? Because Death stung, and the run back was the suck lol.

Everyone just needs to realize that Blizzard has destroyed all other MMOs with WoW. Blizzard has shaped the way for future MMOs and it's not in a good way. I hate to say it but...I am buying an Xbox 360 and going back to Console games. Maybe I will find a good story line there. I pray and hope for a good MMO. Maybe, a company will step outside of the box that Blizzard has created.  But, with over 9 Million Subscribers, that is a pretty big box to get out of.

Kick to the Face.

• SigzSigz Member CommonPosts: 29

I am a long time MMO player starting off in Ultima Online days, through L2, AO, EVE, EQ1 (but not 2) WoW, WAR and LOTRO.

Looking at the incentive structure of the current top MMOs by subscription numbers, these are my predictions for January-April 2009:

1. WoW: currently has the largest number of subs although this has already dropped down to around 9 million from a high of 11.x million. Around 6 million of the remaining 9 million subs is from the China/East Asia region, and these are likely to drop off the fastest as EU and US subs drop off. The reason for the drop will be a lack of elite PVE content and the migration of top-end guilds to one of the competitors, which the masses will then follow. The nature of the mmo market is such that a game can very rapidly drop in popularity as gamers are a fickle bunch. The demise of WoW is here, and it will be surprisingly swift (2-3 months with 500k subs lost in EU/US each month, much faster in china)

2. WAR: currently the 2nd largest mmo in subs, although a very high quality mmo its fortress endgame is currently broken (although its city sieges are not) making the #1 priority for Mythic to fix endgame fortress sieges. The success of this game depends on how fast and how well they can fix this part of the RVR endgame. although the PVE instances and the rest of the RVR experience are all top notch. WAR is the likely destination of all the current top mmo guilds and players from WoW and other games

3. EVE: not often mentioned but this mmo has carved out its niche and is holding steady, doing what it does in a large sandbox space environment that appeals to the hardcore sandbox PVP crowd (in space)

4. LOTRO: another niche PVE game, this one has been ticking along nicely with its new xpac but one can't help but feel it should have done better given the franchise

Other predictions:

a) Darkfall will be a disappointment, the budget is low and the game is very far from finished, and is nowhere near the level of polish of WoW/WAR/LOTRO
    b) Aion will appeal to some of the old L2ers, but will likely not touch the mainstream (but will be a good mmo game for those who love the asian-styled grind mmos)

One thing comes to my mind when I read this post:

You seem to think that you know a lot, even though you are just another fanboy looking for flaws in games that do not appeal to you personally. Who cares anyway? If you truly like a game, you do not care about number of subs, as long as you are having a good time playing. Now I know you will start arguing with me over this but just know that I will not reply.

Have a nice day! 

• Kieth75Kieth75 Member Posts: 51

I will stil play wow and war and Aion to if aion is good. It is no problem. wow will see the good stuff new games makes and when the make wow2 they will steal it and make even better wow. I play war to but war is like a small warrior.  wow is like a large giant  that is very mean and hungry.

This discussion has been closed.