Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

STO Console

TaljinnTaljinn Member Posts: 81

How many games have claimed that they function on both ports,  only to fail at one or the other?  Why even bother with consoles?  STO is a strong enough license to draw a large PC crowd,  use the superior power of the PC to create an immersive universe instead of creating a dumbed down port for increased revenue.  The short term gain may be greater, but your losing out on the big picture.   Why not develop it for PC and Mac instead. 

Comments

• admriker4admriker4 Member Posts: 1,070

I can name at least 4 MMO's that promised a port to console. To this date, none have done so. Im not concerned with consoles, they have no future in gaming anyway.

The future is a wireless receiver in your home for tv, internet, movies, games, and phone service. No DVR's, no cable boxes, no consoles, they just get in the way of you buying their products.

PC's will exist but be very different in the future. Most storage will happen off-site, easier to control piracy and protects against data loss due to breakdowns or upgrades.

STO is being designed for PC's and if a port to console happens it wont diminish my game experience

http://www.gamespot.com/news/6188480.html?sid=6188480&%3Cbr%20/%3Eom_act=convert

Former head of Microsoft's European game business sees an end to the dedicated gaming system.

One former industry heavyweight thinks the technological convergence of the industry is such a growing trend that in 5 to 10 years, he believes, dedicated gaming systems will be a thing of the past. Before he retired from his role as vice president of Microsoft's European home and entertainment division in 2003, Sandy Duncan oversaw the company's Xbox operations in the continent. Now Duncan's back in the gaming industry as the CEO of upstart game development site YoYo Games, and he shared his view of the future in an interview with That VideoGame Blog.

"The business model is very risky and the costs associated with creating new hardware are incredibly high," Duncan said. "There is a definite convergence of other devices such as set top boxes. There's hardly any technology difference between some hard disc video recorders and an Xbox 360 for example. In fact, in 5 to 10 years I don't think you'll have any box at all under your TV; most of this stuff will be 'virtualized' as Web services by your content provider."

• SinnSinn Member UncommonPosts: 93
    Originally posted by admriker4

I can name at least 4 MMO's that promised a port to console. To this date, none have done so. Im not concerned with consoles, they have no future in gaming anyway.
    The future is a wireless receiver in your home for tv, internet, movies, games, and phone service. No DVR's, no cable boxes, no consoles, they just get in the way of you buying their products.
    PC's will exist but be very different in the future. Most storage will happen off-site, easier to control piracy and protects against data loss due to breakdowns or upgrades.
    STO is being designed for PC's and if a port to console happens it wont diminish my game experience
    http://www.gamespot.com/news/6188480.html?sid=6188480&%3Cbr%20/%3Eom_act=convert
    Former head of Microsoft's European game business sees an end to the dedicated gaming system.
    One former industry heavyweight thinks the technological convergence of the industry is such a growing trend that in 5 to 10 years, he believes, dedicated gaming systems will be a thing of the past. Before he retired from his role as vice president of Microsoft's European home and entertainment division in 2003, Sandy Duncan oversaw the company's Xbox operations in the continent. Now Duncan's back in the gaming industry as the CEO of upstart game development site YoYo Games, and he shared his view of the future in an interview with That VideoGame Blog.
    "The business model is very risky and the costs associated with creating new hardware are incredibly high," Duncan said. "There is a definite convergence of other devices such as set top boxes. There's hardly any technology difference between some hard disc video recorders and an Xbox 360 for example. In fact, in 5 to 10 years I don't think you'll have any box at all under your TV; most of this stuff will be 'virtualized' as Web services by your content provider."

Should be interesting. I'm hoping one of the console MMORPG break through though.

• ArndurArndur Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 2,202

Meh I don't think consoles will be gone anytime soon even the next 20 years we will see more of them. Each has a new one in the works and each has lifetime of around 6 years with next gen maybe being even longer Besies unles you can get a box vrom each company why would they give them up.

I don't think consoles will have any problem having a mmo wih depth to many pc people just cry foul when ever a devolper says something about consoles.

Hold on Snow Leopard, imma let you finish, but Windows had one of the best operating systems of all time.

If the Powerball lottery was like Lotro, nobody would win for 2 years, and then everyone in Nebraska would win on the same day.
    And then Nebraska would get nerfed.-pinkwood lotro fourms

AMD 4800 2.4ghz-3GB RAM 533mhz-EVGA 9500GT 512mb-320gb HD