Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

I predict a rapid exodus of players from WoW in early 2009

Comments

• hidden1hidden1 Member UncommonPosts: 1,244
    Originally posted by Horusra

Highly doubt that much will leave for hardcore pvp with no good pve

with the current subscribers to WoW, i'm sure a certain percentage pvp'ers leave for Darkfall.. even if it's a small percentage it could make Aventurine a lot of money as they are a small company.

• popinjaypopinjay Member Posts: 6,539

2. WAR: currently the 2nd largest mmo in subs

I'd check on this if I were you.. people are reporting EVE is now bigger than Warhammer.

• HorusraHorusra Member EpicPosts: 4,411

Darkfall is completely opposite of what WoW created.  Most of WoW players like the casual feel.  I think that will keep Darkfall a nitch like AC darktide and Shadowbane

• mjones1052mjones1052 Member Posts: 221

Yea, WAR is a complete mess, there is no way it is 2nd best. Also, there is no way WoW is declining either.  I have a collection of several MMO's, including WAR, that I play every now and then when I get bored, until waiting for a really good one to come out, and WAR isn't one of them.  And not that I highly dislike the game, but WoW isn't on the list either.  Believe me though when I say that I am not bashing WoW at all because it is a good game and has a huge following, and people are very unlikely to switch games, especially to the ones you listed because they do not offer the same features.

I still am trying to find the best MMO imo, and haven't been able to find it yet.  I'm currently waiting for Darkfall to come out to see if a) it even does come out and b) it is everything it says it is.  If these two facts hold, hold I think there will be a great game there, but even so I don't think it will pull hardly anyone off of their current MMO's. 

Only time will tell what is in the future for MMO's as I think a lot of us are waiting for that game that we fall in love with.  I think a lot of people are getting tired of old features being recycled and reused to create a new MMO, something new and innovative needs to come out to be able to get the majority of the MMO players interested, and I honestly dont see that happening anytime soon.  Althought for me, like I said if it delivers, would be Darkfall as it has everything that attracts me to a game.  This is just me though.

• AzrileAzrile Member Posts: 2,582
    Originally posted by hidden1

Originally posted by Horusra

Highly doubt that much will leave for hardcore pvp with no good pve

with the current subscribers to WoW, i'm sure a certain percentage pvp'ers leave for Darkfall.. even if it's a small percentage it could make Aventurine a lot of money as they are a small company.

haha. you really think Darkfall is even going to launch?

1.  2 weeks until it's official launch

2.  The date still hasn't been updated on the website, in fact, nothing has been done to the website for over a month, despite the fact the game is launching in 2 weeks

3.   No open beta, no reporters have played the game.  The game is currently being 'beta -tested' by a few hundred friends and family, and even they are all under an NDA

4.  No stress test is being done to test server stability or lag.

5.  No system specs have been released.. again, 2 weeks until the official 'launch' of the game

6.  No pricing plan has been announced, players don't even know if there will be a box in stores or it will be digital download.  No information about servers, or about operating systems

And again... the devs said in early december that January 23rd was official launch date.  That's the last we heard.   No open beta, no stress test, no pricing, no system reqs.. and the game is launcing in 2 weeks.

You really think people that are used to WOW's polish are going to deal with that mess?

• ThradarThradar Member Posts: 949

As much as I dislike what WoW has become, I don't care what happens to it because I don't play it anymore. 

• almerelalmerel Member UncommonPosts: 658

Such a silly thread lol. The only game that could affect WoWs numbers is a game that isn't out yet. No game on the market at this time has a chance to "kill" WoW. If they had a chance then it would've happened already.

Aion may take a chunk, but it will no way kill it. GW2 also has a chance to take a chunk out as well when it comes out, but I doubt it will "kill" WoW.

-Almerel

Hello my old friend.

I will be unsubscribing WoW when Darkfall comes out... thank god I won't have to deal w/ QQing carebears who hate being ganked.

I can freely pvp w/out people complaining... unless they have no clue that DF is a sandbox pvp mmo, in which case it's their dumb fault for joining DF.

• SteelroseSteelrose Member UncommonPosts: 215
    Originally posted by Arthousesig

For those who might remember me, I predicted the rapid demise of Age of Conan back in June 2008, looking purely at the game mechanics and the nature of the game itself. This was at the same time review magazines were throwing around scores of 9/10 for AOC, but it was obvious the game would die from playing the game, which is how I make my predictions :)...

Are you serious? There was hundreds of thousands of people that predicted the same. In fact, there are people that predicted the same for TR, WAR, AoC, VG which happened to be the same "failure".

You don't need to be a seer to predict that, so it's a bit silly to build your "reputation" based on a "prediction" that is obvious.

• TookyGTookyG Warhammer Online CorrespondentMember UncommonPosts: 1,115

People have been predicting game X will kill game Y since the second MMO was launched.  It has NEVER happened.

Until you cancel your subscription, you are only helping to continue the cycle of mediocrity.

• PheacePheace Member Posts: 2,408
    Originally posted by TookyG

People have been predicting game X will kill game Y since the second MMO was launched.  It has NEVER happened.

Unless X = Y, then it has happened a lot :)

• wartywarty Member Posts: 461
    Originally posted by Gameloading Then there is the Legend of Mir 2 game,

Logged in to talk about this! Where do people play this game nowadays? I love wow to bits for the most part, but there are soo many elements of LoM that I wish were in it. God looking back its a radical departure from what I play now...full pk, (with meaningful penalties) full loot, ultra hard dungeons taht took weeeeeeks just to get half way through because they were literally massive. o.O

Cant help but hope darkfall is soemhwat of a mir 3d more than UP 3d or w/e

Maybe. Just maybe

Also independant of when I signed, I swear this is the first time in YEARS ive seen anyone mention LoM outside of my irl friends

Anyway, I see some drop outs to wow, but its not like hte population hasnt cycled over 2 or 3 times already. But then each of those 'generations' as it were, have mostly come back to try wrath. maybe if a large number of resubs decide it isnt enough for them, there is a potential to loose perhaps even 1-2mill subs. But im sure that wrath has already bought that number of new subs to the game so you wouldnt even notice. My server seems fuller than ever (xavius, eu) and thats in the infamously understocked ruin bg with 4lol servers to pvp with.

WoW is a self sustaining beast. It will roll on and on until computers literally dont support it anymore and it needs to be rewritten. Then wow 2.0 will reign. and all 50mil people who previously had an account will ALL try the new client. yes they will!

kinda brings up a good though, how many TOTAL, not active subs do you think there are (excluding trials, just actual accounts)

Playing polished, lag free, feature complete games is carebear. Whining about a game you hate but still play is hardcore man!

Originally posted by Steelrose

For those who might remember me, I predicted the rapid demise of Age of Conan back in June 2008, looking purely at the game mechanics and the nature of the game itself. This was at the same time review magazines were throwing around scores of 9/10 for AOC, but it was obvious the game would die from playing the game, which is how I make my predictions :)...

Are you serious? There was hundreds of thousands of people that predicted the same. In fact, there are people that predicted the same for TR, WAR, AoC, VG which happened to be the same "failure".

You don't need to be a seer to predict that, so it's a bit silly to build your "reputation" based on a "prediction" that is obvious.

It would be ironic if Darkfall succeeded in doing what TR, WAR, AoC, VG failed to do.  Maybe Aventurine will be that small barbarian Company to finally take down the Roman Empire.... err I mean WoW.

• SteelroseSteelrose Member UncommonPosts: 215

It would be ironic if Darkfall succeeded in doing what TR, WAR, AoC, VG failed to do.  Maybe Aventurine will be that small barbarian Company to finally take down the Roman Empire.... err I mean WoW.

I wouldnt dare to predict anything about DF, because there's not enough information. It might be due to a fact that the studio is just draining money off from the greek government and maybe EU fonds and tried to prolong it as much as possible to just get paid for not doing anything,.. or the silence might be just their marketing strategy. Keep in mind, DF is not a major release, there won't be any huge AD, and it hardly reaches the initial sales number as AoC or WAR had, but it still might end up as successful as EVE online.

• MwajiMwaji Member Posts: 229

This happens to every game, once players smell the red meat of something new that is good, you can start counting down. Especially ones that have things players miss but WoW doesn't have or is too lazy to implement. Like player housing, better crafting, balanced pvp, better graphics etc.

WoW will keep a stable base of players who enjoy dungeon raiding but the core pvp groups gonna go elsewhere and some already have. Again this exodus would be far less a problem if The New Dev team at Wow were not treating the game like a private server, where it is my why or no way with very odd ideas ( no ideas ) on class balance, progressively more EZ mode Raiding, really they tried to turn to game is to Everquest and since WoW was beating EQ it really is confusing. If this were Vanilla WoW vs any new game it would have to be really really good even with a 4 year jump in graphics, but BC made it easier and WOTLK just decided to tell many players where  to get off and what to do when they get there, their  not taking it well.

I wouldnt dare to predict anything about DF, because there's not enough information. It might be due to a fact that the studio is just draining money off from the greek government and maybe EU fonds and tried to prolong it as much as possible to just get paid for not doing anything,.. or the silence might be just their marketing strategy. Keep in mind, DF is not a major release, there won't be any huge AD, and it hardly reaches the initial sales number as AoC or WAR had, but it still might end up as successful as EVE online.

I didn't predict anything i said "It would be ironic..."

• argos5argos5 Member UncommonPosts: 219

hidden1, you have to be the most annoying DF Posterboy of all the DF fans and threads that I've lurked on.

WoW is dying slowly. Once everyone hits 80 and realizes that its become unbalanced and boring. But WoW's style of PvP is very casual. DF's style of PvP is... not casual at all... I'm not an angry enough douche to really want to put myself in a PvP system that is rightly stressful when I have more important stresses in the real world to deal with.

• BarakIIIBarakIII Member Posts: 800
    Originally posted by Mwaji

This happens to every game, once players smell the red meat of something new that is good, you can start counting down. Especially ones that have things players miss but WoW doesn't have or is too lazy to implement. Like player housing, better crafting, balanced pvp, better graphics etc.
    WoW will keep a stable base of players who enjoy dungeon raiding but the core pvp groups gonna go elsewhere and some already have. Again this exodus would be far less a problem if The New Dev team at Wow were not treating the game like a private server, where it is my why or no way with very odd ideas ( no ideas ) on class balance, progressively more EZ mode Raiding, really they tried to turn to game is to Everquest and since WoW was beating EQ it really is confusing. If this were Vanilla WoW vs any new game it would have to be really really good even with a 4 year jump in graphics, but BC made it easier and WOTLK just decided to tell many players where  to get off and what to do when they get there, their  not taking it well.

Are you kidding? Every WoW player I know loves WotLK. About the only complaint I hear about it is the armor all looks the same, but as far as every other aspect of the game goes, players are loving it.

Originally posted by argos5

hidden1, you have to be the most annoying DF Posterboy of all the DF fans and threads that I've lurked on.

WoW is dying slowly. Once everyone hits 80 and realizes that its become unbalanced and boring. But WoW's style of PvP is very casual. DF's style of PvP is... not casual at all... I'm not an angry enough douche to really want to put myself in a PvP system that is rightly stressful when I have more important stresses in the real world to deal with.

wow so i'm a douche for wanting to play DF and share my love of what it represents...

sorry i didn't mean to make you mad

• admriker4admriker4 Member Posts: 1,070

Personally I know many that have left WoW recently. The expansion made the game way too easy and there simply wasnt enough content. One month after launch and my entire guild had finished all bosses and had full tier 7.5 sets and off-sets. Blizz isnt adding new dungeons anytime soon so I got bored and cancelled.

Having said that, there really isnt an alternative MMO to go too. Im currently not playing anything. LOTR is the closest PVE alternative MMO but its not that great. Warhammer and it pvp focus, bleh no thanks.

I dont see WoW losing big numbers until The Old Republic launches in 2010. Personally I dont like the direction TOR is going so Ill be playing Star Trek Online but TOR is the most likely big game that could take WoW down

• AhilesAhiles Member Posts: 414
    Originally posted by admriker4

Personally I know many that have left WoW recently. The expansion made the game way too easy and there simply wasnt enough content. One month after launch and my entire guild had finished all bosses and had full tier 7.5 sets and off-sets. Blizz isnt adding new dungeons anytime soon so I got bored and cancelled.
    Having said that, there really isnt an alternative MMO to go too. Im currently not playing anything. LOTR is the closest PVE alternative MMO but its not that great. Warhammer and it pvp focus, bleh no thanks.
    I dont see WoW losing big numbers until The Old Republic launches in 2010. Personally I dont like the direction TOR is going so Ill be playing Star Trek Online but TOR is the most likely big game that could take WoW down

LoL NOT ENOUGH CONTENT?? oK Jim sure thign whateevr you say. Entire guild Full tier 7.5 killed all boses.  Ok whatever m8.

Originally posted by argos5

wow so i'm a douche for wanting to play DF and share my love of what it represents...

sorry i didn't mean to make you mad

Apology accepted.

All you love is what DF is hoping to be. And that is all you have... your hope and speculation. And you hope upon hope, that your fellow PvPers think like you do and that they'd all funnel into DF. DF isn't the messiah, and it annoys me to see that the door-to-door love conversion coming from certain blind-faith DF's fans are only enhancing the loathing of trolls further.

• -aLpHa--aLpHa- Member UncommonPosts: 852

I already knew AoC would fail before it even came out. Funcom past games had a bad karma around them.

Originally posted by Ahiles

LoL NOT ENOUGH CONTENT?? oK Jim sure thign whateevr you say. Entire guild Full tier 7.5 killed all boses.  Ok whatever m8.

Its not that there isn't enough content. Its that the game has become casual. When it comes to raiding, the top guild in the world (whatever Nihilus became), beat all the raid bosses in a week. That's cool... but even THEY thought, "wtf Blizz?"

• admriker4admriker4 Member Posts: 1,070
    Originally posted by Ahiles

we beat all raid bosses one month after WOLK launched. So have several tousand guilds. Look at wowjutsu for guild rankings. Even the scrub guilds that couldnt clear kara have cleared all wolk raid bosses.

raid content, the end-game for us was way too simple and boring. No need to read up on any fights. We cleared all of Naxx 25 on the first night we attempted it with no wipes.

No challenge at all.

This discussion has been closed.