Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

AOC was the biggest disappointment of 2008

2»

Comments

• Capn23Capn23 Member Posts: 1,529
    Originally posted by Kyleran

Actually, AOC wasn't the biggest disappointment for me, I actually played it for 3 months before quitting.  Meanwhile WAR lasted only two months, and I never got past level 15 on any character.... (vs lvl 55 for AOC)
    I supposed its because I didn't have any real expectations about AOC, where as I was looking for a DAOC replacement in WAR, and it really missed the mark in that regard.

Mythic tried to fix something that wasn't broken. I'm with ya. I had heard all the cool stories the DAoC players were telling and I got excited to get in on that sort of action. I was disappointed. It felt waaaay too much like WoW only with keeps and pvp objectives...and not-so-hot crafting and terrible PvE and a strangely empty world.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Guys! I'm hopelessly lost in a mountain of mole hills! Them damn moles!

• DouhkDouhk Member Posts: 1,019

I think I can honestly say that 2008 was a pretty pathetic year for MMOs, at least from my understanding. I thought that both AoC and WAR were pretty pitiful,  though both seem to be gradually improving. I think at this point AoC has made some very good changes, while WAR seems to be heading towards the right path.

I just hope both of those games don't end up as inspiration to indy companies, in two regards: 1.) releasing a game early in hopes of profit gain or 2.) releasing just another copy of the same ol' same ol' (aka, WoW clones). I think WoW is the best MMO on the market, but I am so sick of all the other companies trying to copy off of it and only making a sub-superior product. Why attempt make another WoW if there already is one that is going to probably end up far superior to your own WoW?

image If only SW:TOR could be this epic...

• Ngeldu5tNgeldu5t Member UncommonPosts: 608
    Originally posted by Kyleran

Actually, AOC wasn't the biggest disappointment for me, I actually played it for 3 months before quitting.  Meanwhile WAR lasted only two months, and I never got past level 15 on any character.... (vs lvl 55 for AOC)
    I supposed its because I didn't have any real expectations about AOC, where as I was looking for a DAOC replacement in WAR, and it really missed the mark in that regard.

We were all expecting an evolution of DAoC with WAR,unfortunately it turned out to be a lesser WoW with RvR.I played for 2 months then quit and I can say that it was my biggest whole time MMO disappointment.

I still believe that AoC can turn out the situation compared to WAR because if they fail with the PvP they can still have a good PvE game.They will have a lot of work to do from adding content/better crafting/ better guild city.

In the land of Predators,the lion does not fear the jackals...

• chryseschryses Member UncommonPosts: 1,453

PVP comments

Just to focus on one point people make about PvP in AoC not being good enough.  I used to feel like that a bit I thought it was a slugfest, combo fest and just stand toe to toe until one dropped.  How wrong could I be... Joined a guild about 2 months ago and had lessons on PvP now I realise AoC really does have twitch combat and you can own someone 10 levels above you if you can play well.  Since I have 'really' learnt how to PvP in AoC I have had battles lasting 5 minutes when taking on another strong player.  I am playing an Assassin currently and even yesterday I had an incredible moment.

Wandering in the wilderness I came across a player (with murderer status) 5 levels higher than me.  I followed him for 5 minutes as he was finishing a quest and even though 'murderer' status normally means 'ganker' I hate ruining a quest for someone.  5 minutes later I decided to make my move and attacked from hide mode.  Just then he moved so I missed my big hit.  The battle lasted 2 minutes at least and both of us had nearly died but I managed to pull out a successful kick knocking him over, ran behind him and pulled out a fatality combo so I had great pleasure in watching my Assassin roll out a fatality that stuck a knife in his ear. 

PvP in AoC requires skill and for once I am playing an MMO that requires thought, timing and hide mode gives that added RP element of stalking your prey.  The new PvP system means that players like me can attack a murderer and feel good about it.  Just like the system in EVE Online when a person has low sec rating.

And for people that say there is no group tactics they are sooo wrong.  You can form a line and players who use Assassin like me can have satisfaction sneaking behind the enemy and taking down there magic users and healers.  

For me AoC has the best PvP for a fantasy game.  Darkfall may take over but I am a little worried watching video's of DF and the hack and slash look of it.  I am sure its not but it does look like a bit like bash, bash, bash. 

For the record my favourite PvP in games:

Jumpgate Evolution -  Best real time PvP in any scifi game.

EVE Online - less twitch than JG but this is chess in space.

AoC - twicth based fantasy

Less so:

Neocron

WAR

Vanguard

• ChannceChannce Member CommonPosts: 570
    Originally posted by xpiher

Originally posted by Greyhooff

It was hyped as the best PVP mmo, with lots of adult content and a fresh and action packed engine
    What we got was a buggy, laggy, underdeveloped mess
    Here is what got fixed since the old head developer was fired in disgrace:
    - less constant crashing
    - less grey map, zoning crashes etc
    - less lag
    - less bugs (but still more than any other mmo)

but at its core
    - the game still has nothing in it
    - the pvp is childish, boring and full of griefers compared to real PVP games like Warhammer
    - the pve is stil just terrible
    - itemisation is still terrible
    - character stats still do nothing
    - there is no reason to play at all
    - no crafting or market at the AH
    - class balance is still terrible
    - exploits and bugs still rule the day
    - no one even plays this dead game any more

Good things:
    - the graphics are good (although not varied and not very fantasy-like)

WAR is more childish : Oh yay I get tor grind 24/7 to get shiny gear and titles I'm sooo kewl.

Fail troll IMO.

first of all, get out of your moms basement and STOP GRINDING MMO's 24/7 !.  Second, DONT PLAY an MMO! leveling is what they're about for FS!

When I said i had "time", i meant virtual time, i got no RL "time" for you.

• Considering all of the hype, resources, and development time thrown into AoC and the fact that the community has dwindled down to a tiny fraction of what it once was, it is not an opinion to say that AoC is an epic failure. Funcom stock plummeted immediately after release and is still dropping (IIRC it's somewhere around 5% of its initial value), not to mention mass layoffs and server mergers.  

• courtsdadcourtsdad Member Posts: 326
    Originally posted by Capn23

Originally posted by jaxsundane

Originally posted by Capn23

Originally posted by Elsabolts

Avery is that you    " points above " game is the worst dissapointment  of any game this year

Elsa...I'm going to be frank with you.

<Mod edit>

What the guy said was true from what I've seen. Maybe you should go back and try it for a month. Whether you like it or not the game is pretty decent. It has its pros and cons like all games. You really need to stop trolling. Its not funny. Its not cute. Your information is ages old. You really have no idea what your talking about. I can understand you not liking what Funcom did, but the reality is that the game is a lot better than it was at launch.

You know...I don't even know why I try to reason with any of you. Scaredgirl, Hamr, you...you're all just so hung up on your little crusade. You guys really have issues. WAR was a HUGE disappointment for me. You have no idea. I was hoping to be apart of the next big thing. I heard all the amazing stories from the old DAoC players. I'd have to say THAT was the biggest disappointment of the year. I suppose if you are a WoW clone you deserve MMORPG of the Year. Regardless...I don't sit in the WAR forums and say "Mythic is the devil. They lied to me. This is a WoW clone. You shouldn't ever ever ever buy it or even consider it. No it wil NEVER EVER CHANGE!" I moved on. Maybe it's time you let go of the past and look to the future. There are much more important things than a computer game that you didn't like. Just let it go.

Your fanboi is showing, the guy is stating his opinion just like you I don't see how having a different opinion makes him an idiot. If you are going to challenge someones intelligence atleast make factual statements instead of opinions

I challenge you to go through Elsa's posting history. It's the same crap over and over again. It's just trolling. Nothing Elsa says is based on recent information. I can understand Elsa not liking Funcom, but dear god...spending half a YEAR bashing a game that has significantly improved is what I would call trolling. Now I don't mind a good and reasonable debate, but there is no way you can try and start one with Elsa. It always ends in "TERRIBLE GAME. NEVER GONNA CHANGE. FUNCOM DESTROYED MY LIFE"

But isnt this thread about disappointments of 2008? So wouldnt what happened months ago apply

For myself AOC takes the title hands down but COULD take the title for biggest improvement if they have  turned things around. Of course they kind of cheated because they low balled with the lackluster launch so improving was pretty easy.

• finnishguyfinnishguy Member Posts: 90

I'm putting this link here since the other thread was locked.

blog.wired.com/games/2008/12/disappointing-g.html

AoC is #10 on the list.

• RaztorRaztor Member Posts: 670
    Originally posted by Greyhooff

- the pvp is childish, boring and full of griefers compared to real PVP games like Warhammer

lol at this comment.

Anyway, the logic of this thread is that 2008 sucked pretty hard for MMO players. Both AoC and WAR showed potential but at the end of the day both Mythic and Funcom proved they are unable to deliver on their promises (or simply lack the skills to). What could've been 1+ Mill sub games will end up with 100-200k subs instead. 

• PheacePheace Member Posts: 2,408

Rofl, thought he only trolled the WoW forums but apparently he's advertrolling WAR on all the important forums :) Guess he thinks they need people ^^

• S1GNALS1GNAL Member Posts: 366

In these days, money speaks. Subscribers numbers speaks. If you have done something right, you will attract a lot of players. If you done something wrong, players will obviously find something else to subscribe to.

World of Warcraft wins effortless by having a lot more paying subs than any other game. Other games at best just tries to copy WoW in one way of another, with a small twist to call it "their own" masterpiece. All failed miserably. People want more. We are living in year 2009, people expect gaming companies to make polished games these days. The game engine must be fast to work with. Something that most devs do not get.

Originally posted by Pheace

Rofl, thought he only trolled the WoW forums but apparently he's advertrolling WAR on all the important forums :) Guess he thinks they need people ^^

If he wants people then wtf is he doing here? These are Age of Conan forums. Only people here are a handful of diehard fanbois who won't stop playing AoC even when they shutdown the servers. They just finish Tortage in their own head.

• UnfinishedUnfinished Member Posts: 881
    Originally posted by zymurgeist

True dat.
    I think what makes AoC such a big disappointment is so many people expected so much more from it. It's a war of expectations.

Those expections were founded on the massive hype and the following bait and switch FunCom perpetrated.

The marketing machine ran a 3 card Monty with a deck missing all its face cards, impressively done, they knew they had a Vanguard / Tabula Rasa level lemon on their hands and managed to make a ton of lemonade out of it. Too bad that trick only works once, no one will ever believe a FC 'dog and pony show' or press release again.

Whoever was the marketing brain behind that call I hope got a big bonus, he probably saved FC from insta-brankruptcy & AoC's sale to Sony the week of launch.

• DragonSharkDragonShark Member UncommonPosts: 227

I don't think I really had a disappointment in 2008. Having been through the Anarchy Online launch, I pretty much knew how Age of Conan was going to go. And as for Warhammer, Mythic was bought out by EA. Enough said there. So nothing that happened with either was really a surprise.

I played three months in AoC, and two weeks in Warhammer. Couldn't even finish out the free month, it was so bleh. AoC is still on my computer, waiting for me to have enough free time to play it. Now that the holidays are over, I probably will.

• Lobbyboy69Lobbyboy69 Member Posts: 201

I agree AoC was the biggest disapointment for me. They promised so much and delivered so little. Even now the game is a shadow of what was promised pre release.

But if AoC was the biggest disaster of 2008 then Warhammer is the 2nd biggest. Both games are truely aweful with huge chunks of core game missing or broken.

I tried both these games deep into end game to finally break away from WoW......but I just ended up back at wow realising its still the daddy out there. Its far from a perfect gaming experience...but christ is it better than WaR and AoC. Roll on new star wars game....

• JackdogJackdog Member UncommonPosts: 6,321
    Originally posted by DragonShark

I don't think I really had a disappointment in 2008. Having been through the Anarchy Online launch, I pretty much knew how Age of Conan was going to go. And as for Warhammer, Mythic was bought out by EA. Enough said there. So nothing that happened with either was really a surprise.
    I played three months in AoC, and two weeks in Warhammer. Couldn't even finish out the free month, it was so bleh. AoC is still on my computer, waiting for me to have enough free time to play it. Now that the holidays are over, I probably will.

you know for me it wasn't really the bugs that got to me in AoC. I played AO at launch also and endured the lag and the bugs because the game itself offered a lot of freedom and had some amazing features for it's time. The character advancement was something else.

Any way it wsan't realy the bugs that turned me off to AoC. With AoC the game play seemed way too confining. Maybe it was the zones, maybe it was the way the quests were laid out or the lack of development in the crafting or the way all the gear looked the same. I will give it a second shot next month and see if much or anything has really changed because it was so dam pretty. I have to admit though I have not seem much posted that gives me any hope. Whie FC has been busy trig to fix bugs and has added a bit  more content I have not seen much in the way of basic game play changes in the patch notes that concerns the PvE part of the game. While I am a self admitted graphics whore which is why WoW and WAR turn me off  the graphics alone is not enough to keep me interested.

I miss DAoC

Originally posted by Unfinished

Those expections were founded on the massive hype and the following bait and switch FunCom perpetrated.
    The marketing machine ran a 3 card Monty with a deck missing all its face cards, impressively done, they knew they had a Vanguard / Tabula Rasa level lemon on their hands and managed to make a ton of lemonade out of it. Too bad that trick only works once, no one will ever believe a FC 'dog and pony show' or press release again.

This is true. Have you seen Erling do and interview lately?

He hasn't done those in a long time because when he did them after launch, people got so angry of his bs like "I don't consider pvp a major feature" that he had to stop doing interviews.

They have probably locked him in a basement and thrown away the key. This guy does AoC more harm than good.