Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Game of the Year 2008 Award, Voodoo Extreme.

1235»

Comments

• finnishguyfinnishguy Member Posts: 90
    Originally posted by Halflifer

Well I tend to look on some of these awards. MMO of the year have to mean something, right?

I've always thought that all the awards, reviews, etc. mean nothing in the world of MMOs.

All that matters is the server population. It's the gamers who decide which MMO is the best by voting with their money.

And this is the problem with AoC. No matter how many of these "awards" they get, the fact is server populations are something like 50-60k which is pretty bad for an MMO that cost over 60 million to make and was supposed to be the next best thing.

• JackdogJackdog Member UncommonPosts: 6,321

interesting that they could get 2000 plus to vote there when in Funcoms community survey # 6 only 900 people bothered to respond. Speaks volumes doesn't it LOL

I miss DAoC

• Hamrtime2Hamrtime2 Member Posts: 360

Originally posted by AmazingAvery

Originally posted by Hamrtime2

Originally posted by Lobbyboy69
    As Avery pointed out...there is still things wrong with AOC but it is getting better. One day it may with a lot of effort be a really good mmo. There are still a few fundamental things wrong with AoC that need sorting ...im sure Avery will agree.
    Thing that annoys me....why oh whyyy didnt they release this game later. If they would of released it in this state with promises of additional end game content it would of gone from strength to strength. Whoever decided to release when they did are.....theres no other word for it....stupid.

The reason is very simple. Funcom ran out of funds to take the game any farther. They borrowed way more money than they thought they needed and they couldnt get any more "loans" to fund the project any further. The release was delayed a dozen times which caused it to cost way more money. Thats why they launched it when they did.

You know I don't think it was a money factor. I reckon that poor project management was more to blame. The community was restless after countless pushbacks in such a short space of time. We wanted the game and we wanted it now. All the trailers and media looked good, things looked ready to go on the whole. Cuts to specific content was an unfortunate side effect of getting the game out on time. Yes some things come and go with development and in the scheme of things, some features just didn't work out in testing. Drunken brawling as partially in. Why do people think that all the taverns are instanced? because it was part of the D.B. making it work. When it came down to it, it wasn't as far along development as it could of been I feel for the choice to see if it would be a good or bad addition or not.
    Funcom still had a lot of money in the bank, granted a large portion of that was for advertising and promotional funding, coupled with initial costs in getting the boxes and dvd's sorted out and shipped. But still I am sure they could of gone on ok for an Autumn release. For me personally I crashed a few times in the first month or so. Nothing major, nothing out of the blue for an mmorpg launch.
    Damn it is annoying that the game didn't release later and have the extra benefit of more development time and polish. For me that last patch in beta was pretty close to a miracle patch. Everything shot up good. And now in hindsight, start of the new year now we are benefiting of a dozen times over that great patch and you need more than a yard stick to measure how much better the game is now.
    The design to have the game fast leveling was a good choice for many, I think it suprised a lot how quickly they got up there to level 80. Another disappointment was the lack of things to do at endgame. Some borked crafting skills and progression didn't help, buggy to shit sieges, and busted raids all should of been things ready, waiting and working for all. Just didn't happen like that. I never ran out of quests for felt had to grind to level 80. As a measure now nearly all of the small amount of stuff mentioned above is working pretty well, it is an enjoyable experience for many, and each month there are some really great improvements and additions. This is why I think people keep saying the game has so much potential. The game just gives off a good inital feeling and I think that now as people come back and experience changes themselves they can see things in a better light. As a measurement of expectation, the game missed more than it hit in the first few months, now it is the other way around - this is why I feel the game got the best award for mmorpg from the above site.
    It really should be that same award all over and it's not - because of the disappointment received.
    I am really happy to contine to pay a sub to FC to play. On the 31st another 6 month payment came out automatically. I can see loads more potential, and I can measure through in game experience how much better it is now. No way is the game perfect now, and I don't think anyone in their right mind expects perfect.
    If there was an award for most improved game then AoC surely deserves it, in my eyes. Again which is why I posted above about the GPM - tentonhammer's pulse also shows AoC prevelant since launch. Things are picking up and it shows all around. A lot of the comments in the polls from VE3D show people saying how much better the game is.
    Funcom borked AO's release, they improved on that release with AoC, but not nearly enough. They took a little while to fix AO up, but by all account things are seven year on, with a bigger team and with AoC fixed up super fast especially over the past 4 months and it is gaining momentum all the time. They might have a reputation of releasing games to early but they sure know how to fix them up fast. I am sure that is down to all the properiety stuff they know inside out. Therefore I would rule finances out of the blame for releasing to early. They should of had one last showing at Leipzig this year and then released  imo.
    Lets just get this server merge crap out the way (which I think is going to be annoying for lots of people) and look forward to all the xtra goodies to come - including welcome back invitations which I am sure are nearly ready to come off the drawing board.

Gotta give yah props on this comment. Very well put. As Ive said before, I think AoC could become a very good mmo if they add more endgame content, have more meaning to crafting and fix the damn loot.

If Funcom would have waited till alot of things were fixed and actually communicated with its customers about what was wrong with the game (something that was done right with warhammer) I would prolly resub today just to look at the changes. But the deciept, lies and bad business practices that Funcom chose to do is unforgivable and I will never give them another penny of my money no matter how good AoC gets.

As far as awards for most improved mmo, I dont think that AoC should win a damn thing. Lets face it....AoC was a shitpile out of launch and because of that, I think it doesnt deserve any award with the exception of "most disappointing" which it should win hands down.

When (if) AoC gets bought out from another gaming company, I will gladly resub and give an opinion.

• BearShammyBearShammy Member Posts: 240

Originally posted by AmazingAvery

Originally posted by Lobbyboy69

As Avery pointed out...there is still things wrong with AOC but it is getting better. One day it may with a lot of effort be a really good mmo. There are still a few fundamental things wrong with AoC that need sorting ...im sure Avery will agree.

Thing that annoys me....why oh whyyy didnt they release this game later. If they would of released it in this state with promises of additional end game content it would of gone from strength to strength. Whoever decided to release when they did are.....theres no other word for it....stupid.

The reason is very simple. Funcom ran out of funds to take the game any farther. They borrowed way more money than they thought they needed and they couldnt get any more "loans" to fund the project any further. The release was delayed a dozen times which caused it to cost way more money. Thats why they launched it when they did.

You know I don't think it was a money factor. I reckon that poor project management was more to blame. The community was restless after countless pushbacks in such a short space of time. We wanted the game and we wanted it now. All the trailers and media looked good, things looked ready to go on the whole. Cuts to specific content was an unfortunate side effect of getting the game out on time. Yes some things come and go with development and in the scheme of things, some features just didn't work out in testing. Drunken brawling as partially in. Why do people think that all the taverns are instanced? because it was part of the D.B. making it work. When it came down to it, it wasn't as far along development as it could of been I feel for the choice to see if it would be a good or bad addition or not.

Funcom still had a lot of money in the bank, granted a large portion of that was for advertising and promotional funding, coupled with initial costs in getting the boxes and dvd's sorted out and shipped. But still I am sure they could of gone on ok for an Autumn release. For me personally I crashed a few times in the first month or so. Nothing major, nothing out of the blue for an mmorpg launch.

Damn it is annoying that the game didn't release later and have the extra benefit of more development time and polish. For me that last patch in beta was pretty close to a miracle patch. Everything shot up good. And now in hindsight, start of the new year now we are benefiting of a dozen times over that great patch and you need more than a yard stick to measure how much better the game is now.

The design to have the game fast leveling was a good choice for many, I think it suprised a lot how quickly they got up there to level 80. Another disappointment was the lack of things to do at endgame. Some borked crafting skills and progression didn't help, buggy to shit sieges, and busted raids all should of been things ready, waiting and working for all. Just didn't happen like that. I never ran out of quests for felt had to grind to level 80. As a measure now nearly all of the small amount of stuff mentioned above is working pretty well, it is an enjoyable experience for many, and each month there are some really great improvements and additions. This is why I think people keep saying the game has so much potential. The game just gives off a good inital feeling and I think that now as people come back and experience changes themselves they can see things in a better light. As a measurement of expectation, the game missed more than it hit in the first few months, now it is the other way around - this is why I feel the game got the best award for mmorpg from the above site.

It really should be that same award all over and it's not - because of the disappointment received.

I am really happy to contine to pay a sub to FC to play. On the 31st another 6 month payment came out automatically. I can see loads more potential, and I can measure through in game experience how much better it is now. No way is the game perfect now, and I don't think anyone in their right mind expects perfect.

If there was an award for most improved game then AoC surely deserves it, in my eyes. Again which is why I posted above about the GPM - tentonhammer's pulse also shows AoC prevelant since launch. Things are picking up and it shows all around. A lot of the comments in the polls from VE3D show people saying how much better the game is.

Funcom borked AO's release, they improved on that release with AoC, but not nearly enough. They took a little while to fix AO up, but by all account things are seven year on, with a bigger team and with AoC fixed up super fast especially over the past 4 months and it is gaining momentum all the time. They might have a reputation of releasing games to early but they sure know how to fix them up fast. I am sure that is down to all the properiety stuff they know inside out. Therefore I would rule finances out of the blame for releasing to early. They should of had one last showing at Leipzig this year and then released  imo.

Lets just get this server merge crap out the way (which I think is going to be annoying for lots of people) and look forward to all the xtra goodies to come - including welcome back invitations which I am sure are nearly ready to come off the drawing board.

Gotta give yah props on this comment. Very well put. As Ive said before, I think AoC could become a very good mmo if they add more endgame content, have more meaning to crafting and fix the damn loot.

If Funcom would have waited till alot of things were fixed and actually communicated with its customers about what was wrong with the game (something that was done right with warhammer) I would prolly resub today just to look at the changes. But the deciept, lies and bad business practices that Funcom chose to do is unforgivable and I will never give them another penny of my money no matter how good AoC gets.

As far as awards for most improved mmo, I dont think that AoC should win a damn thing. Lets face it....AoC was a shitpile out of launch and because of that, I think it doesnt deserve any award with the exception of "most disappointing" which it should win hands down.

When (if) AoC gets bought out from another gaming company, I will gladly resub and give an opinion.

Ohhh you played that other AoC, the AoC Azrile played at launch. lol. Some people always seem to play a special version of the new game challenging the old. I totally disagree on your launch doom nonsense. AoC was and is the newest most cutting edge out there in MMO. Sure AoC have improved, but hell you paint a fare to negative picture. I was digging AoC when I started play.

• JackdogJackdog Member UncommonPosts: 6,321
    Originally posted by BearShammy

Ohhh you played that other AoC, the AoC Azrile played at launch. lol. Some people always seem to play a special version of the new game challenging the old. I totally disagree on your launch doom nonsense. AoC was and is the newest most cutting edge out there in MMO. Sure AoC have improved, but hell you paint a fare to negative picture. I was digging AoC when I started play.

cutting edge as in cutting edge loot tables? Or cutting edge as in the player housing/ Or cutting edge as in guild management tools? Or cutting edge as in crafting? Or cutting edge as in the PvP ruleset and "meaningful" PvP. Or cutting edge as in server stability, which has improved a lot though with the decreased server pop or so I have heard.

Just curious what is this cutting edge that you speak of? Piixilated female nudity perhaps? Nope couldn't be, that had been done before also.

I miss DAoC

• ElsaboltsElsabolts Member RarePosts: 3,476

It has to be the cutting edge Mail system.

" Life Liberty and the Pursuit of Those Who  Would Threaten It "
                                            MAGA

I think it's pointless to argue whether AoC had a bad launch or not. Everyone knows the launch was horrible. That's why most people quit the game, remember? Even Funcom said they didn't expect so many people to quit.

First 6 months of AoC was a disaster. The question is, what can they do now to fix it? Or can it be fixed?

• BearShammyBearShammy Member Posts: 240
    Originally posted by finnishguy

I think it's pointless to argue whether AoC had a bad launch or not. Everyone knows the launch was horrible. That's why most people quit the game, remember? Even Funcom said they didn't expect so many people to quit.

First 6 months of AoC was a disaster. The question is, what can they do now to fix it? Or can it be fixed?

I think it is pointless to discuss on how to fix a game that in most peoples opinion (of the people that have played that is) is awesome. You know what, I think it might be as usefull if we all just sat down to eat some Lumache right now. lol. Ohh dear.

I think it is pointless to discuss on how to fix a game that in most peoples opinion (of the people that have played that is) is awesome. You know what, I think it might be as usefull if we all just sat down to eat some Lumache right now. lol. Ohh dear.

Yes, there are people who think AoC is awesome. But these people are a handful on hardcore fans. Most people who tried AoC, didn't think is was awesome and quit after a while. I saw this myself. Our guild had less members every day until one day our guild died. Same thing happened to my other guild and it had 200+ members.

So you see it's the majority that doesn't like AoC.

Originally posted by Transporter

Some pretty fierce posting by you finnish guy. You are new but have obvious AoC experience. Can you explain us a bit more on your background. Is this your first profile in MMORPG?
    Again, you'd like to discuss stuff thats really old. Now if thats going to be your thing, why don't you resub to try and give us a update on how the progress on the gripes you and your 200 buddies had with AoC. You see anything else kind of just turns into a weird discussion nobody remember anything about. I mean, you seem motivated enough to find and point out shortcommings with AoC, why only talk about old stuff. AoC is in my opinion getting very good now, but there sure as hell are real stuff from today that you still can talk about. I think that would be very interesting.

No need to resub because I haven't even canceled my account yet. Even though I saw the flaws in AoC I decided to pay until Christmas to see if they can make it better. They improved it but not enough.

Main problem with me and everyone I talked to who were quiting was that there was nothing fun to do after you get to endgame. All those patches they released.. nothing gave us more endgame content.

You can talk all day about how AoC has improved but the fact is that endgame is still the same it was at launch.

Right now I'm bored with AoC and I'm trying out some free korean grinders.

• crazyivencrazyiven Member Posts: 142

wow,

Just a question,  do you all know its a game?

I haven't played it, don't want to play it.  But read up on all games that are out and or coming out. Just to see what the people that play them think about them. Me myself have been playing eve since E&B shut down, and have tried almost all the games that have come out. But basing a game off the number of votes it gets? Thats kinda sad, I'd say play it don't like it you wasted cash on something you don't like. Kinda why I wish they all had a trial period for online games, that way people can test it if they like it they are golden. Other then that this is what you get....

• AmazingAveryAmazingAvery Age of Conan AdvocateMember UncommonPosts: 7,188
    Originally posted by crazyiven

wow,
    Just a question,  do you all know its a game?

I haven't played it, don't want to play it.  But read up on all games that are out and or coming out. Just to see what the people that play them think about them. Me myself have been playing eve since E&B shut down, and have tried almost all the games that have come out. But basing a game off the number of votes it gets? Thats kinda sad, I'd say play it don't like it you wasted cash on something you don't like. Kinda why I wish they all had a trial period for online games, that way people can test it if they like it they are golden. Other then that this is what you get....

Funny thing is mmorpg of the year award was not a poll award it was awarded by the site themselves :)

• brimstone728brimstone728 Member Posts: 25

And to discredit some of the community even further I give you this thread:

http://forums.ageofconan.com/showthread.php?t=178942

It may not look like much now, but originally the link that worgpest supplied to go to the poll was set to automatically cast a vote for you for AoC.  A mod had to go in and edit his link to prevent this underhandedness.

It is actions like this that prevent me from wanting to return to the game.  All the touting of "this is a mature game, no kiddies here" is total BS.  I see as much if not more 133t (I hate this sincerly) speak and other inmature outbursts as there is in WoW.

And if I hear someone else say "go play your cartoon" one more time I think I may just need to take some pills.

• OrionManOrionMan Member Posts: 423
    Originally posted by brimstone728

It may not look like much now, but originally the link that worgpest supplied to go to the poll was set to automatically cast a vote for you for AoC.  A mod had to go in and edit his link to prevent this underhandedness.

It is actions like this that prevent me from wanting to return to the game.  All the touting of "this is a mature game, no kiddies here" is total BS.  I see as much if not more 133t (I hate this sincerly) speak and other inmature outbursts as there is in WoW.

And if I hear someone else say "go play your cartoon" one more time I think I may just need to take some pills.

Utter Bullshit. I used that link to vote and yes I had to choose my game.lol

Originally posted by OrionMan

Please read what was written.  A moderator had to edit his post to fix the link that was added.  Which is why the first person who replied to the thread stated "What you just did takes guts."

• OrionManOrionMan Member Posts: 423

Please read what was written.  A moderator had to edit his post to fix the link that was added.  Which is why the first person who replied to the thread stated "What you just did takes guts."

Exuse me, how tha hell do you know that? You have to back nonsens like this up with some proof. I don't know even if what you say in technically possible. lol

• OrphesOrphes Member UncommonPosts: 3,039

Exuse me, how tha hell do you know that? You have to back nonsens like this up with some proof. I don't know even if what you say in technically possible. lol

He can't know, this is the link that you get after you vote. Regardless of game, this vote is after me voting on a WII game. But still the link is the same for all, means nothing.

http://www.gamezone.com/goty.confirm.php?year=2008

I would guess that one of th other choices to believe what the second poster ment was something like:

Got to have guts to post a link with that purpose, regardless for trolling or whatever, after the latest fuzz. I don't now what to be scared of though, a moderator intervention or what.

I'm so broke. I can't even pay attention.
    "You have the right not to be killed"

I know because I was the one that reported the post to the Mods.  When I clicked the link to cast a vote, I never saw any options.  The only message it gave me was one thanking me for my vote.

Do I expect you to believe me? No I do not, and I am not looking for your approval.  i know what I saw, and apparently the Mods saw it and felt the same way that I did.

• RightInThereRightInThere Member Posts: 53

I know because I was the one that reported the post to the Mods.  When I clicked the link to cast a vote, I never saw any options.  The only message it gave me was one thanking me for my vote.

Do I expect you to believe me? No I do not, and I am not looking for your approval.  i know what I saw, and apparently the Mods saw it and felt the same way that I did.

Think, then speak!