Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Lasted about 5 minutes

DanagDanag Member UncommonPosts: 67

So, before folks think I'm paranoid; I work as Distributed Systems Admin for an Ivy-league University. That means that I know a thing or two about computers, operating systems, and security.

So, this game looked promising.

Needed to install it under an Admin-level account. Not a big deal, lots of software is like that.

However, then I noticed that XTrap will only run properly if the game itself is run under an Admin-level account.

Lame.

Nothing should need Admin-level access to run, unless it's a system service or a device driver. Running under an Admin-level account is the easiest way to wreck things.

Uninstalled, and didn't think twice.

If the authors of this game need a 3rd-part application to make sure folks aren't using bots and hacks, that's fine.

But if said 3rd-party application requires the game to be played with Admin-level access to do its thing, then folks need to go back to the drawing board.

They could have very easily designed a system-level service to run seperately, and still allow players to launch the game with a regular account, instead of requiring the game to run with elevated permissions as well.

Like I said.. Installed it, launched it, uninstalled it. Laster about 5 minutes on my drive before it was gone like yesterday.

To all those who enjoy it, congratz. But take a moment to think... Admin-level access means access to _everything_... Even the ability to do things like reboot your 'puter, change clock-speeds to dangerous levels, delete system-dependent files, bypass your firewall...

Just a bit too much access for simply running a game...

-
Danag

Comments

• RonaldXRonaldX Member Posts: 1
    Originally posted by Danag

So, before folks think I'm paranoid; I work as Distributed Systems Admin for an Ivy-league University. That means that I know a thing or two about computers, operating systems, and security.
    Needed to install it under an Admin-level account. Not a big deal, lots of software is like that.
    However, then I noticed that XTrap will only run properly if the game itself is run under an Admin-level account.
    Lame.
    Nothing should need Admin-level access to run, unless it's a system service or a device driver. Running under an Admin-level account is the easiest way to wreck things.
    If the authors of this game need a 3rd-part application to make sure folks aren't using bots and hacks, that's fine.
    But if said 3rd-party application requires the game to be played with Admin-level access to do its thing, then folks need to go back to the drawing board.
    They could have very easily designed a system-level service to run seperately, and still allow players to launch the game with a regular account, instead of requiring the game to run with elevated permissions as well.
    Like I said.. Installed it, launched it, uninstalled it. Laster about 5 minutes on my drive before it was gone like yesterday.
    To all those who enjoy it, congratz. But take a moment to think... Admin-level access means access to _everything_... Even the ability to do things like reboot your 'puter, change clock-speeds to dangerous levels, delete system-dependent files, bypass your firewall...

First of all X-Fire maybe a third pty program but, do you know how many mmorgp's use that alrdy?

100's of them that's how many so saying a game sucks for using a VERY GOOD AND TRUSTED third pty program to stop hackers shows how ill-thoughtout your your report is.

You didn't even play the game. This is something a five year old would say. " Daddy I need admin access to play this game WHAT ru saying you don't have admin access when using your computer? Or do you just like using a guest account b/c you think that'll stop hackers.

Hence, your post was the worst read of my life I bet you made more accounts and gave yourself that rating ^ ^ 

We understand death for the first time when he puts his hand upon one whom we love. ~Madame de Stael

• Pyro240Pyro240 Member Posts: 194
    Originally posted by RonaldX

Lame.

First of all X-Fire maybe a third pty program but, do you know how many mmorgp's use that alrdy?

100's of them that's how many so saying a game sucks for using a VERY GOOD AND TRUSTED third pty program to stop hackers shows how ill-thoughtout your your report is.

You didn't even play the game. This is something a five year old would say. " Daddy I need admin access to play this game WHAT ru saying you don't have admin access when using your computer? Or do you just like using a guest account b/c you think that'll stop hackers.

Hence, your post was the worst read of my life I bet you made more accounts and gave yourself that rating ^ ^ 

I sugest that you read his post again.

nom nom nom

• brostynbrostyn Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 3,092

There are a few games and programs that require Admin level that I've run into. Everquest requires admin level. Ventrillo won't work correctly unless run as admin, either.

I'm sure there are more out there. I just haven't played many games since I upgraded to vista.

• DarwaDarwa Member UncommonPosts: 2,181

Quite possibly the funniest thing I've read in a long time. Good job RonaldX made an alt account just to prove that he's a bit dim. lol

Here's a hint mate, check the four letters that come after X- next time

*****EDIT*****

Bah! Didn't realise it was a necropost.

• redcap036redcap036 Member UncommonPosts: 1,230

Lame.

TROLL!

OP should ignore this idoit's post and NOT feed the troll.

• jatobijatobi Member Posts: 117

I agree, I refuse to allow any program to use admin 100% of the time.  Online anyway.  But thats just me.

• lukyjaylukyjay Member Posts: 26

Haha, you claim to know a thing or two about computing, yet you dont even understand how XTrap works.

• WildCardzWildCardz Member Posts: 43

If XTRAP was soooo good then why is there so many gold selling bots running in the game? Some say it is insiders running these sites for privte profit idk about that. The thing that gets me is how they are getting past the type in the alph numeric bot checker, That thing is so annoying at times.

Due to some unknown reason the game is experencing some problems, some server clusters are up an down like a yo yo. I enjoy the game despite the lack of a game supported forum to get updates on server statis an the lack of bug fixs. If there is anyone that knows of a game like this pm me I like Cabal an another game like it would be a good refuge in difficult times