Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

GameGuard??

TCoS is going to use Gameguard? Wonderful, just what I'd expect from Acclaim. No, I'm not interested in hearing from those who "have no problems running gameguard" The list of its "issues" and legitmate apps that it interferes with is legion. Check out this wiki for more information.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GameGuard#System_Requirements

Notice how it acts like a rootkit?

The TCoS Devs must have a death wish for their game to have picked Acclaim as their publisher.

Oh well, so much for this other wise promising game.

"If you can't kill it, don't make it mad."

Comments

• A_TrainA_Train Member Posts: 73

I haven't had any experience with gameguard in awhile, last time I did it wouldn't work with a x64 OS.  I assume this has been fixed?  Anyway I agree it's a very bad move.

• alessioraalessiora Member Posts: 50

GG works with Vista x64 but has some problems with AVG 8.0 Free and some others antiviruses .

• AganazerAganazer Member Posts: 1,319

I am using TCoS GG on two computers, both of which use AVG 8.0. One is Vista 64 bit and the other is XP 32 bit. I am having no problems at all.

• alessioraalessiora Member Posts: 50

Are you using AVG FREE?

• VesaviusVesavius Member RarePosts: 7,908
    Originally posted by Wraithone

TCoS is going to use Gameguard? Wonderful, just what I'd expect from Acclaim. No, I'm not interested in hearing from those who "have no problems running gameguard" The list of its "issues" and legitmate apps that it interferes with is legion. Check out this wiki for more information.
    The TCoS Devs must have a death wish for their game to have picked Acclaim as their publisher.

ok, not gonna get into a flamewar with you here, but why don't you wanna hear from the people who have no problems with gameguard? Why the crazy emote?

Why are you trying to insult people?

Why don't you want a balanced view on this?

Personally, I have had no issues with running Gameguard.

Everything you say here just says worthless troll to me, and I hate the overuse of the word troll.

Say what you want after this, I'm done with feeding you.

Originally posted by alessiora

Are you using AVG FREE?

Yes on both PC's.

• teknicianteknician Member UncommonPosts: 270

I am running AVG and Avira on XP Pro, and TCoS Gameguard is running fine.  GG is funny though.  I think they fixed it, though I haven't played L2 in while, but I remember it used to weird out with apps like Webroot and you could completely bypass it.

• dave6660dave6660 Member UncommonPosts: 2,699

It is scary how it does use the same strategy as a rootkit or trojan.

I'm not sure how of this is still accurate but after reading it I wouldn't want Gameguard on my system.

archive.cert.uni-stuttgart.de/bugtraq/2005/01/msg00209.html

“There are certain queer times and occasions in this strange mixed affair we call life when a man takes this whole universe for a vast practical joke, though the wit thereof he but dimly discerns, and more than suspects that the joke is at nobody's expense but his own.”
    -- Herman Melville

• WraithoneWraithone Member RarePosts: 3,806
    Originally posted by vesavius

ok, not gonna get into a flamewar with you here, but why don't you wanna hear from the people who have no problems with gameguard? Why the crazy emote?

Why are you trying to insult people?

Why don't you want a balanced view on this?

Personally, I have had no issues with running Gameguard.

Everything you say here just says worthless troll to me, and I hate the overuse of the word troll.

Say what you want after this, I'm done with feeding you.

Vesa...How much does one need to know about code that acts in the fashion that gameguard does? Just because it hasn't damaged someones system YET, is no indication that it will not or has not, and its just not been discovered yet. That is why I'm not interested in hearing from such people.  What else but crazy would one call someone who potentially damages their system for a game?... I also hate the abuse of the word troll...But it fits your distribe much better than mine. I at least provided some information people may not have considered, while most of what  you did was attack me, and then run off.

I've been a Windows developer as long as there has been windows and I can tell you that ANY program can damage your system. The difference being that some programs are written with malicious intent and others aren't. I don't think we have any reason to believe the GG was written with malicious intent any more than Microsoft Word.

Your fears are bordering on pananoia.

Originally posted by Aganazer

I've been a Windows developer as long as there has been windows and I can tell you that ANY program can damage your system. The difference being that some programs are written with malicious intent and others aren't. I don't think we have any reason to believe the GG was written with malicious intent any more than Microsoft Word.

Code doesn't have to be written with malicious intent to cause serious problems. Given your stated experience, you should realize that.  One has only to google remove gameguard to see that there is a bit more involved than Microsoft Word...As for your parting shot, I can only chuckle.  I was really looking forward to TCoS. From all accounts it would have been a good game.

• QuizzicalQuizzical Member LegendaryPosts: 25,347

Microsoft Word can be pretty malicious at times. 

Code doesn't have to be written with malicious intent to cause serious problems. Given your stated experience, you should realize that.  One has only to google remove gameguard to see that there is a bit more involved than Microsoft Word...As for your parting shot, I can only chuckle.  I was really looking forward to TCoS. From all accounts it would have been a good game.

Actually, completely removing MS Office looks very similar, but even more complex...

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/158658

But you're right. Even though you've already found an entire search full of step by step instructions explaining exactly how to do it, you probably shouldn't bother. Better to just play another game.

Actually, completely removing MS Office looks very similar, but even more complex...

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/158658

But you're right. Even though you've already found an entire search full of step by step instructions explaining exactly how to do it, you probably shouldn't bother. Better to just play another game.

Well, it is Windoz, what would you expect?  As for the other, WHY should it be necessary to jump through hoops to get gameguard off ones system? Simply because Nprotect is too lazy to code a proper uninstaller for their app, does not translate to it being peoples "paranoia" for not wishing it to remain on their system. But you are quite right,  there are many, many other games to play.  But given the time, talent and money that has been spent on TCoS, its a shame they are limiting their demographics and thus profits from the very start.

• summitussummitus Member UncommonPosts: 1,414

I agree totally anyone that allows shit like GG installed on their Pc need their head testing .... I had it my Pc once and once only ! caused so much shit to happen to my Pc it was fucking scary man ! 

• DelanorDelanor Member Posts: 659
    Originally posted by summitus

I agree totally anyone that allows shit like GG installed on their Pc need their head testing .... I had it my Pc once and once only ! caused so much shit to happen to my Pc it was fucking scary man ! 

Nothing scary happened to my PC. Maybe you should stop lingering in the past so much and get your head examined right away.

--
    Delanor

• dave6660dave6660 Member UncommonPosts: 2,699

It is only prudent to be a little paranoid.  We have legitimate companies bundling spyware with their games (EA Battlefield 1942) now.  GG doesn't stop anyone from running automated programs, just look at Lineage 2.

Even if a program is written with good intent, if it could be used as an avenue for attack then I would be a little cautious before installing it.

“There are certain queer times and occasions in this strange mixed affair we call life when a man takes this whole universe for a vast practical joke, though the wit thereof he but dimly discerns, and more than suspects that the joke is at nobody's expense but his own.”
    -- Herman Melville

Originally posted by dave6660

It is only prudent to be a little paranoid.  We have legitimate companies bundling spyware with their games (EA Battlefield 1942) now.  GG doesn't stop anyone from running automated programs, just look at Lineage 2.

Gosh you're right! I guess using that logic we should stop funding our police force as well. They don't stop anyone from breaking the law. Just look at the news.

• GravargGravarg Member UncommonPosts: 3,424

when will devs learn to make thier own anti-hacking measures and not rely on a subpar 3rd party to do it for them.  I've played other games with hackshield, game guard, among others.  You can still easily hack the game, look at Combat Arms lol.

• ZorvanZorvan Member CommonPosts: 8,912

Gosh you're right! I guess using that logic we should stop funding our police force as well. They don't stop anyone from breaking the law. Just look at the news.

I bet you love SecuRom, too.

Originally posted by Zorvan

Honestly never had a problem with it either. If you guys can't handle programs like GameGuard and Securom then you must be either a software pirate, a hacker, or very inexperienced with PC maintenance.

We have now reached the level of "boogyman under the bed" paranoid.

• ZorvanZorvan Member CommonPosts: 8,912

Originally posted by Zorvan

Honestly never had a problem with it either. If you guys can't handle programs like GameGuard and Securom then you must be either a software pirate, a hacker, or very inexperienced with PC maintenance.

We have now reached the level of "boogyman under the bed" paranoid.

Sorry, pal. I've had a DVD drive that SecuRom borked because it mistook it for a virtual drive ( when I had no virtual drive installed ) and tried to disable it, screwing it's firmware in the process. That taught me to get rid of SecuRom before using anything with it.

As for being afraid of it, hardly. Just now I hack out SecuRom before installing any games with it.

By the way, you should really learn what you're talking about before you type.

Pirates wait for cracks, hackers hack it out before installing. So neither of those groups have anything to fear from SecuROm.

The only thing you got right is the inexperienced users, who get screwed because they don't know not to install the shit in the first place.

And if you think it's all just "paranoia", go over to the EA forums for Mass Effect, Spore, and other games they've released with SecuRom. Legitimate customers being told by SecuRom that their software is invalid, refusing to let them play the game they paid for, causing legitimate applications on customers computers to be disabled, etc., etc.

And go ahead and try to uninstall SecuRom or Gameguard without knowing how to edit your registry. But I guess you expect everyone to be  computer genious in order to play a fucking video game That's all fine, if that's the case. But maybe you should become one first, because so far you've shown an utter lack of computer experience.

• M1sf1tM1sf1t Member UncommonPosts: 1,583

You still haven't countered his valid point of GG being useless with the prime example being Lineage 2. You made a nice attempt at appealing to ridicule but you still have yet to post any facts refuting his statement.

Games I've played/tried out:WAR, LOTRO, Tabula Rasa, AoC, EQ1, EQ2, WoW, Vangaurd, FFXI, D&DO, Lineage 2, Saga Of Ryzom, EvE Online, DAoC, Guild Wars,Star Wars Galaxies, Hell Gate London, Auto Assault, Grando Espada ( AKA SoTNW ), Archlord, CoV/H, Star Trek Online, APB, Champions Online, FFXIV, Rift Online, GW2.

Game(s) I Am Currently Playing:

GW2 (+LoL and BF3)

• nakumanakuma Member UncommonPosts: 1,310

ive actually had to resintall my VISTA X64 due to installing lineage2. i installed it, updated, then it crashed, then when i restarted my pc, i had a disk boot failure meaning it completely trashed my install of VISTA. ill never install a game with GG. absolutely retarded, lost important 3d work i was working on due to the imcompetence of NCSOFT having that crap on their game. though i never had any real issues with SecureROM but i do agree its overbearing, restrictive, and treats legit customers like criminals, and limits their "user rights" on a product they bought.

3.4ghz Phenom II X4 965, 8GB PC12800 DDR3 GSKILL, EVGA 560GTX 2GB OC, 640GB HD SATA II, BFG 1000WATT PSU. MSI NF980-G65 TRI-SLI MOBO.

Originally posted by M1sf1t

You still haven't counter his valid point of GG being useless with the prime example being Lineage 2. you made a nice attempt at appealing to ridicule but you still have yet to post any facts refuting his statement.

You guys can say whatever makes you feel more right. I honestly don't care. I'll be crying for you the whole damn time I'm enjoying myself in TCoS.

The truth is that I've never known a single person that has a decent system and some PC common sense that has had a problem with either GG or Securom. If fact the only person I know who has had an issue with Securom is the same person that finds himself restoring HDD images on a daily basis because he does something boneheaded with his system.

M1sf1t, I have a simple question for you. Do you think Lineage 2 would have more hacks or less hacks if they didn't use any security measures at all?