Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Broke Veteran Seeking Guidance.

TuutobTuutob Member Posts: 607

I've been playing MMO's for a bit now, I started with RS (the older one...) in '02 and my last attempt at enjoying the genre was WAR for the past two months. In between those two I had a long run-in with WoW (2 years on and off), which I loved until I realized nothing you do is ever significant unless you devote your entire life to it. Other than that, I toyed around with DAoC, GW, AO, AoC, SoR (fucking AMAZING game, sad to see it go under), and others.

My WAR sub ran out at the beginning of this month and I have been making a solid effort to steer clear of MMO's. But, I had this site on my hotbar and curiosity got the best of me. I came back to see a free MMO at the #2 spot on the rankings, and another one at the #5 for most anticipated. This got me thinking that, due to my lack of income at the moment (highschooler; had a summer job but now have no time) I would try once more to find enjoyment in the genre, but not spend money.

It sounds completely dumb to me, but spending money on crap sounds dumber. I just can't bring myself to spend money on MMO's at the moment, especially after AoC's failure and WAR's mediocrity.

I tried Atlantica earlier and, though I must say it's much better than what I remember of the free Asian MMO's I played at friends' houses, the turn-based style isn't really for me. Runes of Magic seems promising, but I'm scared that it's just another reskinned asian grinder.

Any other free ones worth trying? If not, are there any good MMO's coming out in the near future that I should look at?

Also, I haven't frequented this site like I used to for a while, and therefore am out of the loop completely. How's Ryzom doing?

Comments

• demented669demented669 Member Posts: 402

try saga of ryzom use to be pay to play now free mmo

seen they made it a pay to play again so this game is of  no use to ya

• DarwaDarwa Member UncommonPosts: 2,181

I consider Runes of Magic to be head and shoulders above the other F2P offerings in terms of gameplay.

Have a look in this section for more on this subject

• RavanosRavanos Member Posts: 897

Runes of magic is it a pure point and click game? not that its a bad thing just not my style.

• DarwaDarwa Member UncommonPosts: 2,181
    Originally posted by Ravanos

Runes of magic is it a pure point and click game? not that its a bad thing just not my style.

No mate. You can use WASD or whatever you like.

• TuutobTuutob Member Posts: 607

Thanks darwa, I'm downloading it at the moment (Fatty client, 3.4GB compressed). I love the graphics style, and the classes seem very straight forward. I just hope the dual-class system doesn't mean double-grinding to get both classes up to par.

If anyone could list some pros and cons of it that would be great .

• KorbyKorby Member Posts: 499
    Originally posted by Tuutob

Thanks darwa, I'm downloading it at the moment (Fatty client, 3.4GB compressed). I love the graphics style, and the classes seem very straight forward. I just hope the dual-class system doesn't mean double-grinding to get both classes up to par.

I'll give the cons.

The duel-class system caught my interest and is the reason I decided to try the game. It attempted to give players some diversity, but it failed. If you take a peek on the forums, it is clear that one class combining with a certain other class is much better than all the other options.

Example:

Priests rape when they duel with a knight. All the other combos suck.

Rogues rape when they duel with a warrior. Most of the other combos suck.

As you can see, while they attempted to add some diversity, nobody wants to choose a farfetched combo because they can and will suck. (I tried a MAGE-PRIEST and people ridiculed me. I could not get into a party).

Secondly, the graphics aren't all that great, and when you max out the settings it has a weird look to it. I can't really explain.

Thirdly, the characters look retarded when they're attacking. It's no different than any other game. You stare at your character doing the same exact thing over and over.

Fourth(ly?), when you start the game they simply drop you in the middle of a field. They don't tell you where to go, or give you a tutorial on how to play.

Fifth, the game has zero character customization.

It's a reskinned WoW with less content. If you liked WoW, maybe it will keep you busy for a while until the 2009 releases.

• Cik_AsalinCik_Asalin Member Posts: 3,033
    Originally posted by Tuutob

Its a culmination of most mmos' avaiable with very competitive graphics, game-play, content, skills, community, etc.  Im still offering a lobotomy to those that need it who play WoW, AoC, WAR, etc. over RoM.  Plus its not a Macro-Transaction system where you get ripped off by purchasing a $50 box and then $15/month.

Its in beta, so its free and there is no micro-transaction system now, but it allows you to get a feel for the game.

• reetinreetin Member Posts: 70

Some dual class systems do work, such as FFXI which has the main job and subjob class system. The beauty of that systam is also that they allow you to change your main and sub class at any time (you do have to go to your mog house to do so) and then you are able to go and play different variations of certain jobs. Such as monk which uses lots of subjobs such as Dancer, Ninja, and Warrior. There is a free trial of the game if you would like to try it out. Might not be a fully free game but it is only like 20 dollars for the whole pack and expantions and 13 dollars a month for Sub fee. Maybe you would like to give it a try though always looking for new players.

• almerelalmerel Member UncommonPosts: 658

As always I will recommend Guild Wars lol. There is a initial cost but after that it's f2p. For me there isn't a better bang for your buck.

Swing into the GW forums and ask for a trial key.

-Almerel

Hello my old friend.