Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Global banking Poll

fagercraftfagercraft Member Posts: 170

Ok so theres alot of discussion on the Global Banking decission on the official forums. So i thought id hear what mmorpg.com feels about it.

(The information is in the lates thenoobcomic preview Quote:)

At the moment, and possibly also in release, banks and vendors built by clans can be used by anyone (consider though that nobody’s built guard towers in player towns yet). Some testers shed tears of joy when they raided a player town, killed the people that they found there, then used their enemies’ bank and vendor to dispose of the loot. As they say in the Mastercard ads, priceless.

Personally i think it adds alot of depth and new professions, but i can easily see that it harms the game by being very cumbersome - and will make alot of people who are not careful and loose there stuff just becouse they had to move quit.

Im an old Eve player, and i loved the challange of managing your items and ships and am abit dissapointed that aventurine choose to soften it up with DF.

Surprisingly most of the fans over at the official forums are happy about this, but there are some extreemists left screaming DOOMSDAY! - I'd think more ppl would be furious over a "dumbing down" decision as most would call this.

Im glad i dont have to hassle with my gear, but im abit sad that managing a city just became so much easier and trading goods from far off for loads of cash if you managed to bring them there is gone as an option.

NOTE: This is beta, the information can be misinterpreted, theres a possibility this is just for beta to ease the testing! Discuss with this in mind ;)

FagerCraft - Feeding the trolls on mmorpg.com since 2005.

Comments

• xpiherxpiher Member UncommonPosts: 3,310

I haven't been following the game as long as some have, but I think that just becaus there is a global banking system doesn't make the game carebareish, and using a player built city to despoit the items will be fun. Example, preform raid on city, get to the bank quickly, deposit the items = win.

Games:
    Currently playing:Nothing
    Will play: Darkfall: Unholy Wars
    Past games:
    Guild Wars 2 - Xpiher Duminous
    Xpiher's GW2
    GW 1 - Xpiher Duminous
    Darkfall - Xpiher Duminous (NA) retired
    AoC - Xpiher (Tyranny) retired
    Warhammer - Xpiher

• BlodplsBlodpls Member Posts: 1,454

I would prefer local banks but I can live with global banks.

• daarcodaarco Member UncommonPosts: 4,275

It sucks.

Dont fit in a full PvP MMO. Nuf said.

Originally posted by daarco

It sucks.

Ahh... how? I mean, their already is going to be quick bags in the game which give you access to items in your bank anywhere in the world, at least thast what I read.  And how is a single banking system any different than having banks in different towns, expect having to walk far to get your stuff and being a major strain on the data base?

Games:
    Past games:
    Xpiher's GW2
    GW 1 - Xpiher Duminous
    Warhammer - Xpiher

• ToimuToimu Member Posts: 35

It sucks.

I was in the US Army, spent 28 months in Iraq.  During the first few months of the war, we couldn't use Iraqi banks.  A few years later, I wouldn't trust them.

That is why I agree with daarco.

============================
    OfaLoaf:
    ...What's Iraq like?

Toimu:
    IEDs, SAF, RPGs, & mortars. But only during breakfast, lunch, and dinner. The enemy is so poor, they have to keep day jobs :)

• DameonkDameonk Member UncommonPosts: 1,914
    Originally posted by Toimu

It sucks.

I was in the US Army, spent 28 months in Iraq.  During the first few months of the war, we couldn't use Iraqi banks.  A few years later, I wouldn't trust them.

LOL what?  Did you really just compare Darkfall to Iraq?  Maybe you're just being sarcastic, but I seriously can't tell with your post.  Good job faking a horrible comparison if you were being sarcastic.

My opinion:  I guarantee you that if Darkfall did not have a global bank that 1-2 years after release you would absolutely hate it. 

Think about playing World of Warcraft with no flight paths/swift travel.  You had to run or ride everywhere in the world.  Just think about that for a minute, think about how often you use the flight paths or swift travel between continents.  Now think about having a separate bank in every single town/city.  Now think about the world being even LARGER than WoW.

After giving that some thought if you still don't want a global banking system please post a detailed reason why so that I can understand.  Because I don't see why anyone would not want a global bank.

I know there are flaws with having a global bank, but the pros far outweigh the cons.

"There is as yet insufficient data for a meaningful answer."

• daarcodaarco Member UncommonPosts: 4,275

Im not happy with any global itemsystem in DF. Its adds nothing to that gameplay. If you can move items out of reach of everyone else....then the basics of the game is compromised. In a game as WoW its very understanable to have a global bank system.

As i see it, if i want to take a wagon of items a cross the DF world, i should need some guads, contacts, maybe a some good guides and places to hide. This would make need to talk to othe players and plan and communicate. As a result we have more content, more gaming hours and the few that would pull it of would be very proud of it.

With global banking we move to the opposit, no need to involve people or plan. We cut away content.......but that seems to be the way moders MMOs are ahead.  We get game mechanics to play for us, LFG features instead of taking to people, global banking instead of talking to people. Companions and pets instead of having to ask other players to join you, and so on.

So thats why i think it will sucks in DF.

Originally posted by Dameonk

It sucks.

LOL what?  Did you really just compare Darkfall to Iraq?  Maybe you're just being sarcastic, but I seriously can't tell with your post.  Good job faking a horrible comparison if you were being sarcastic.

My opinion:  I guarantee you that if Darkfall did not have a global bank that 1-2 years after release you would absolutely hate it. 

Think about playing World of Warcraft with no flight paths/swift travel.  You had to run or ride everywhere in the world.  Just think about that for a minute, think about how often you use the flight paths or swift travel between continents.  Now think about having a separate bank in every single town/city.  Now think about the world being even LARGER than WoW.

After giving that some thought if you still don't want a global banking system please post a detailed reason why so that I can understand.  Because I don't see why anyone would not want a global bank.

I know there are flaws with having a global bank, but the pros far outweigh the cons.

1) We are talking about two guilds at war using each others banks.  Neutral/friendly cities is ok, but not cities your at war with.

2) In JumpGate and Vendetta Online there is no Global Item Bank.  Those two are also alignment base FFA PvP full item loot.  I like those systems because you need friends to move loot.

3) Yes I was compairing a real life system to base a game off of.

OfaLoaf:
    ...What's Iraq like?

Toimu:
    IEDs, SAF, RPGs, & mortars. But only during breakfast, lunch, and dinner. The enemy is so poor, they have to keep day jobs :)

With global banking we move to the opposit, no need to involve people or plan. We cut away content.......

I guess that's where our opinions differ.  What you see as added content I see as a completely useless timesink that takes away from actual gameplay.

I could see myself playing with a limited global bank + local banks.  Meaning gold would be global with a very small amount of items (1 full equipment set) and everything else being local.  I could live with that, but a completely local bank system would not work in my eyes.

Edit:  Your scenario is very epic and everything but what about just general gear and item replunishment?  Without a global bank it will be very frustrating when you are abroad and get killed, realize you are hours away from the nearest bank you have any equipment in and then waste an entire day's gaming session simply trying to re-gear.  I don't see how that would be entertaining.

Also only having local banks would drive up market prices making it necessary to have more gold in reserve to purchase basic gear causing another useless timesink, gold farming.

Im not happy with any global itemsystem in DF. Its adds nothing to that gameplay. If you can move items out of reach of everyone else....then the basics of the game is compromised. In a game as WoW its very understanable to have a global bank system.
    As i see it, if i want to take a wagon of items a cross the DF world, i should need some guads, contacts, maybe a some good guides and places to hide. This would make need to talk to othe players and plan and communicate. As a result we have more content, more gaming hours and the few that would pull it of would be very proud of it.
    With global banking we move to the opposit, no need to involve people or plan. We cut away content.......but that seems to be the way moders MMOs are ahead.  We get game mechanics to play for us, LFG features instead of taking to people, global banking instead of talking to people. Companions and pets instead of having to ask other players to join you, and so on.

I can see where that would be fun and all and would make protection guilds more profitable so I completly see your point;; however, if all 10k players on a server had 10 banks between them then thats 100k worth of new data which would put a huge strain on an already strained system. Furthermore, it will allow people to loot people easier.

I agree with the poster that it wouldn't make sense, unless the banks were independantly ran by a neutrual party in the game in which case there wouldn't be a problem. Also, the guard towers would make other guilds use of player ownd banks risky.

Games:
    Past games:
    Xpiher's GW2
    GW 1 - Xpiher Duminous
    Warhammer - Xpiher

1) We are talking about two guilds at war using each others banks.  Neutral/friendly cities is ok, but not cities your at war with.
    I agree with that but I took the OP's question and subsequent replies for what they said.  Global Banking.  I too feel that player built city banks should be separate from the main bank.
    2) In JumpGate and Vendetta Online there is no Global Item Bank.  Those two are also alignment base FFA PvP full item loot.  I like those systems because you need friends to move loot.
    I've never played either, but does it take hours to go from 1 city to the next like reported for Darkfall?  If it does, I don't think I would like those games either.  What I don't like about local-only banking is not for loot or large quantity movement it's for general gear and item availability.
    Oh... How is having a global bank in an MMO game anything like the social/industrial climate of Iraq?

Originally posted by Dameonk

I agree with that but I took the OP's question and subsequent replies for what they said.  Global Banking.  I too feel that player built city banks should be separate from the main bank.
    I've never played either, but does it take hours to go from 1 city to the next like reported for Darkfall?  If it does, I don't think I would like those games either.  What I don't like about local-only banking is not for loot or large quantity movement it's for general gear and item availability.
    Oh... How is having a global bank in an MMO game anything like the social/industrial climate of Iraq?

1) Ok

2)  You pick your respawn point just like in DFO.  You can not respawn at an enemy city, so you can store gear at your respawn point. 

2.1) Before a war, you stock pile gear at the point you plan on invading the enemy from. 

2.2) If you are just PvE'ing, you /bind at a local point to store gear.

2.3) If you are traveling a long way, you /bind on the way.

3) Moving troops and gear from US bases to a war front and back.

*Edit: Very nice people in this thread.

OfaLoaf:
    ...What's Iraq like?

Toimu:

• fagercraftfagercraft Member Posts: 170

Ok here are soem proe with non global banking system for those who only see it as a timesink. Please note i know of the cons also, but this is just to enlight the few who have asked to hear the pros of a system like this. Also please bear in mind that this is a open PvP game, the more stuff you can compete with the better. Its not a PvE EQ/WoW game. Not saying its superior, but it is different.

1: You can prevent your enemies from getting supplies to there Castles by harassing any caravans and stopping all traders from entering there town.

2: New profession: You can live as a trader/caravan runner, where you learn how to avoid ganks and bring rare goods from the north to sell in the distant cities in the south. You can buy cheap ass in north and sell for alot in south. With global banking system the prizes and avalibility will be evened out, nomatter how rare or wherever a mineral/item is limited to.

3: The anti caravan/trader, your clan owns a place in a area with a rare mineral. By making sure few farmers get to these minerals, and few traders gets to leave the area unchecked with any of these minerals, youll prevent all your enemies in the rest of the world access to the mineral, giving you a strategic advantage. Youll also be a target for this. With global banking the traders farmers just needs to be able to run to the closest town in your area and then the mineral is out on the market worldwide in minutes.

4: Thives that lurk the roads for unprotected caravans, adds prey to them. And Risk vs Reward for traders.

5: Adds a big element to sieging enemie city, the attacks would have to make sure to stock up on items at the closest bindpoint, and haul many caravans of supplies there to be able to do a larger scale attack over time. It will also bring element to hire mercs or make sure these supplies do not arrive by the defenders.

Well i can go on ranting, but i think you should get the general idea of how much competition a global banking system takes away. If you ever Played EvE - youll understand how important logistics are. In EvE these days, people are complaining its to easy to move stuffs with wormholes(cynos etc) and all.

Side note: if you are afraid of being far away from your items, as a general rule in EvE: Make sure you got spare ships at your resspoint!.

• cosycosy Member UncommonPosts: 3,228

global banking sux
    (eve-online got local banking and is nice)

also when someone capture your city should also take all bank assets dont want to lose them defend your city

BestSigEver :P

• JadedfireJadedfire Member Posts: 44

Okay so what is being said is that the enemies can use the other players' vendor selling all the looted items and using the bank to store items when conquering their city. However, they can not loot the other players own personal items stored in the bank, right? Because that would be really dissappointing to say the least...

Originally posted by cosy

global banking sux

(eve-online got local banking and is nice)
    also when someone capture your city should also take all bank assets dont want to lose them defend your city

That would have been awesome if that was in EvE, imagine all the spies trying to figure out where the golden egg stations of there enemies was .

Sry offtopicing my own thread, continue with the poll people

Originally posted by Jadedfire

Okay so what is being said is that the enemies can use the other players' vendor selling all the looted items and using the bank to store items when conquering their city. However, they can not loot the other players own personal items stored in the bank, right? Because that would be really dissappointing to say the least...

Well, if you read thenoobcomics word by word that is what it says, Loot your enemies, use there bank to transfer the loot to the global banks. Note that she has said before we shouldnt read into it so much!

It would be awesome if there was no global banking and if you take over a city, you gain acces to its treasury to. I'd like that in a game like this. I wanted it in EvE too.

global banking sux

Would love this!

OfaLoaf:
    ...What's Iraq like?

Toimu:

• hidden1hidden1 Member UncommonPosts: 1,244
    Originally posted by xpiher

I can see where that would be fun and all and would make protection guilds more profitable so I completly see your point;; however, if all 10k players on a server had 10 banks between them then thats 100k worth of new data which would put a huge strain on an already strained system. Furthermore, it will allow people to loot people easier.

I agree with the poster that it wouldn't make sense, unless the banks were independantly ran by a neutrual party in the game in which case there wouldn't be a problem. Also, the guard towers would make other guilds use of player ownd banks risky.

in every mmo i've played i was in guilds that we would just give each other what we needed for free, hence bypassing any need for money or economy... I would probably find like-minded communist/socialist like myself so I don't have to deal the tediousness of banking and economy all together

• BlodplsBlodpls Member Posts: 1,454

global banking sux

Would love this!

Yes I agree, thats how it should be in a game like this.

Originally posted by hidden1

Originally posted by xpiher

in every mmo i've played i was in guilds that we would just give each other what we needed for free, hence bypassing any need for money or economy... I would probably find like-minded communist/socialist like myself so I don't have to deal the tediousness of banking and economy all together

Your not bypassing the system, you are the perfect example of what we want!

OfaLoaf:
    ...What's Iraq like?

Toimu:

• GorillaGorilla Member UncommonPosts: 2,235

Nice to be in a guild that deals with all that 'tedious' stuff for you.  Did you get a weekly allowance too? Of course how banking works still would impact you even if you expect your replacement items to be delivered.

• hidden1hidden1 Member UncommonPosts: 1,244
    Originally posted by Gorilla

Nice to be in a guild that deals with all that 'tedious' stuff for you.  Did you get a weekly allowance too? Of course how banking works still would impact you even if you expect your replacement items to be delivered.

I have enough financial probs irl to have to play an escapist/fanasty setting to deal with it in there as well... no thank you ... economy is my pet peeve in mmo's... i've had more success and fun in games where I just didn't deal with it all.

• tombear81tombear81 Member Posts: 810

Oddly not fitting in with the rest if the gameplay. I would have thought moving items around and trading caravan would have been great in such a large world. And also  capturing or outright destroying enemy caravans. Such a large world would have been great for this. Could even have maybe NPC caravans every now and again ?

As for the DF forums it is surprising. Maybe they just want to do the get-uber-leet items though via PvP and then find a quick way to escape. Global banking is a massive turn off. Ugh ! Its things like this, why I think this game is not going to be good at all. Its not been thought out.

Lets hope its just for beta ! 

• tombear81tombear81 Member Posts: 810
    Originally posted by Blodpls

global banking sux

Would love this!

Yes I agree, thats how it should be in a game like this.

That would bind people in a a particular geographical area togather. From people with poor items to people with expensive items. No one wants to lose there stuff.

You could also put assests in aliied cities but not all of them to even our losses too. Or if there are NPC banks place the MOST expensive into them thus making a capital city with everyone interests in it.

But not going to happen with global banking. :(