Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

"Trial" Island

sanders01sanders01 Member Posts: 1,357

I started this game, thinking I would love it. I quit after about 5 hours of that "tutorial" island. Does that represnt the whole game? I was under the impression that I could really go any where I want and do what ever I want, the island is kinda restricting forceing you to do these quest to get off, I hate quest.

Currently restarting World of Warcraft :/

Comments

• MaDSaMMaDSaM Member Posts: 627

*ROFLMAO*

Sorry, but that is just too funny. Please don´t get me wrong!

Its just a total roundabout of normal responses here and anywhere else.

Normally people get off on the fact that the Mainland IS NOT full of Quests!

These "Quests" on the Trial island are just what they´re supposed to be: A Tutorial

They teach you the ropes and basics of what you´ll have to know to survive in the Main Lands.

Nothing more, nothing less.

Once you´re ready to go, leave and come to the Lands where no Quest has been before

So, remember: DON´T PANIK!

CU

Acridiel

Ryzom, we dare to be different.
    Do you dare to adapt?
  • sanders01sanders01 Member Posts: 1,357

Mk, maybe when I get off the island Ill have fun :D I find these tutorial quest very restricting.

• katriellkatriell Member UncommonPosts: 977

I feel the same way, Sanders. :) But as a three-year player of Ryzom, I can assure you the mainland is much better. There, it's all about freedom and it doesn't feel contrived.

-----------
    In memory of Laura "Taera" Genender. Passed away on August 13, 2008.

• SherkalynSherkalyn Member Posts: 105

Wait, there are missions on the Mainland, but you absolutely don't have to do them. They only give you fame and/or dappers.

I spent 4 months stuck on Silan because I didn't have a credit card and paypal was messing with me. Once you're done with the missions and you know how the game basically works, even Silan can be a sandbox... a tiny box, but I still found a way to survive with the limited ressources I had.

...I must have been crazy. I was playing on the laptop with bad lag even on minimal requirements. I was already way addicted. I played those missions so many times on a couple different characters and rerolls, I still know most of them by heart.

I'm not going back there anytime soon.

---------
    Sherkalyn
    Crazy Marshmallow Lady
    Guild Leader of The Exodus Syndicate in Ryzom
    "Experience Perfection :: Unharness Your Power"
    www.exodusgs.com

• WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332
    Originally posted by sanders01

I started this game, thinking I would love it. I quit after about 5 hours of that "tutorial" island. Does that represnt the whole game? I was under the impression that I could really go any where I want and do what ever I want, the island is kinda restricting forceing you to do these quest to get off, I hate quest.

LOL you sound EXACTLY like me,i think i lasted the exact same 5 hours too lmao.You know i think it is VERY obvious that the game and it's tutorial needs some serious re working.First impressions are a faculty of life and games MUST produce in this facet of gaming

How about look at a game like Vanguard,you enter this battle zone of npc mobs all fighting each other.tons of action and yet it is also a sort of tutorial zone,but it just seemed full of life/action and great looks.OK so you have this great looking game and very few want to play it,now you got this drull looking Ryzom and you think people are going to feel much better? no way.If you are going to throw a drull/dead looking game at us ,at least give us something else to grasp for or hope for,Ryzom does none of this.

Not only that,but you see the mobs and right away you think ok very ho hum,are they also holding back on the mobs i am going to be facing?then you think ,are they holding back on the combat system?

Then you understand that in EVERY game the quests are the same,this is not to knock Ryzom at all,it is merely to point out a fact,that new players are NOT going to think there is some magical wonderland of quests ,once i get off tutorial island.

5 hours is about what i spent and let me tell you,it was so boring i could not bear to log back in,even though i knew full well ,before hand that EVERYONE told me it was much better past the island.Personally i know gaming VERY well,i can tell in about 20 seconds by looking at the game world,what kind of effort went into the engine and game world.There was NOTHING on the beginners isle that gave any impressions of the game getting that much better,i mean it would have had to of been two TOTALLY different games and in that case,what use would the tutorial have been?

I felt like the game was a 3/10 and at best it could hit a 6/10 if by all indications ,it was that much better off the island.Just not worth the effort to continue.

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• TuyetTuyet Member Posts: 135

Ummmm, you do not have to do the quests on Silan either.

Well not quite true, you have to do a mission to leave Silan and get TPed to the Mainaland which involves running  around and talking to the 4 trainers 1 time and then talking to the NPC that TPs you to the Mainland. Probably 5-10 minutes the first time you do it.

So you can go to the mainland with all your skills at lev 1 with no experience advancing them forward. And the TP to Mainland is a one way trip, there is no way to get from the Mainland to Silan that I know of.

Of course all you'll have is your starting gear but the mainland is playable from lev 1 with mobs just as low as on Silan to hunt. Of course there are also a lot more dangerous mobs on the mainland too and it is a lot larger.

It is also gonna be hard to get a team till you skill level up a bit as most players go to at least skill level 20 before leaving Silan.

And of course you could just skill level on Silan without doing any of the missions and leave when you feel like doing the leave Silan mission. Silan is actually a pretty interesting area by itself to explore.

The missions on Silan are meant to be a tutorial on basic gameplay of Ryzom and the mission rewards give some pretty good gear for the skill levels. But none of the missions are mandatory, even the leave Silan mission isn't mandatory you'ld just be limited to the Silan experience.

• Z3R01Z3R01 Member UncommonPosts: 2,425
    Originally posted by Wizardry

LOL you sound EXACTLY like me,i think i lasted the exact same 5 hours too lmao.You know i think it is VERY obvious that the game and it's tutorial needs some serious re working.First impressions are a faculty of life and games MUST produce in this facet of gaming

How about look at a game like Vanguard,you enter this battle zone of npc mobs all fighting each other.tons of action and yet it is also a sort of tutorial zone,but it just seemed full of life/action and great looks.OK so you have this great looking game and very few want to play it,now you got this drull looking Ryzom and you think people are going to feel much better? no way.If you are going to throw a drull/dead looking game at us ,at least give us something else to grasp for or hope for,Ryzom does none of this.

Not only that,but you see the mobs and right away you think ok very ho hum,are they also holding back on the mobs i am going to be facing?then you think ,are they holding back on the combat system?

Then you understand that in EVERY game the quests are the same,this is not to knock Ryzom at all,it is merely to point out a fact,that new players are NOT going to think there is some magical wonderland of quests ,once i get off tutorial island.

5 hours is about what i spent and let me tell you,it was so boring i could not bear to log back in,even though i knew full well ,before hand that EVERYONE told me it was much better past the island.Personally i know gaming VERY well,i can tell in about 20 seconds by looking at the game world,what kind of effort went into the engine and game world.There was NOTHING on the beginners isle that gave any impressions of the game getting that much better,i mean it would have had to of been two TOTALLY different games and in that case,what use would the tutorial have been?

I felt like the game was a 3/10 and at best it could hit a 6/10 if by all indications ,it was that much better off the island.Just not worth the effort to continue.

Thats one of the biggest problems with Ryzom, the trial Island is nothing like the real game.

You should have tried the main land, Its a much better game once off newb isle.

Playing: Nothing

Looking forward to: Nothing 

• sanders01sanders01 Member Posts: 1,357
    Originally posted by Tuyet

Ummmm, you do not have to do the quests on Silan either.
    Well not quite true, you have to do a mission to leave Silan and get TPed to the Mainaland which involves running  around and talking to the 4 trainers 1 time and then talking to the NPC that TPs you to the Mainland. Probably 5-10 minutes the first time you do it.
    So you can go to the mainland with all your skills at lev 1 with no experience advancing them forward. And the TP to Mainland is a one way trip, there is no way to get from the Mainland to Silan that I know of.
    Of course all you'll have is your starting gear but the mainland is playable from lev 1 with mobs just as low as on Silan to hunt. Of course there are also a lot more dangerous mobs on the mainland too and it is a lot larger.
    It is also gonna be hard to get a team till you skill level up a bit as most players go to at least skill level 20 before leaving Silan.
    And of course you could just skill level on Silan without doing any of the missions and leave when you feel like doing the leave Silan mission. Silan is actually a pretty interesting area by itself to explore.
    The missions on Silan are meant to be a tutorial on basic gameplay of Ryzom and the mission rewards give some pretty good gear for the skill levels. But none of the missions are mandatory, even the leave Silan mission isn't mandatory you'ld just be limited to the Silan experience.

This may accually help me :O. Thanks for the tips hehe, I thought I HAD to do the missions to even level my skills  :(

Edit: I've been playing for about an hour now on the trial island and I have to say I love it more that I followed Tuyets advice :D. Most fun I've had in awhile, now back to Ryzom!

• SherkalynSherkalyn Member Posts: 105

What Wizardy said about the mobs, combat system, engine and world in general is a pile of misinformed lies, by the way. You absolutely can't know everything there is to know about those if you don't step on the mainland, even less in 20 second, That's ridiculous. First impressions are generally lies as well. Take AoC : lots of care on the Tutorial Island with Cinematics and voice over... and the rest of game was just so horribly bad and broken that is was nearly unplayable.

Some mobs that are normally social on the mainland (they attack you if you hit their "buddy") aren't on Silan, for the obvious reason that a newbie hitting a bodoc with his refugee dagger would get torn to shreds if 3-4 more bodocs started pounding on him. Newbie comes to Mainland, hits a capryni or a mektoub and gets gangbanged to death...

The engine is ressource hungry, but stable. And it works. Take the game on a decent machine. Compare a 100 vs 100 outpost battle with full graphical effects cranked up to the max : nearly no lag at all, maybe a couple hiccups, but that's all. The outpost battles take place in non-instanced zones with all the mobs and Tribe NPC patrols that still roam around and can get involved in the battle. Take a "Next--Gen" Engine, now : AoC, recently released, on the same decent machine. Sieges are limited to 48 vs 48 in an instanced zone with only a handful of roaming bugged guards, the rest of the zone is empty of any form of AI, no mobs, no NPCs, nothing. Yet, the Siege Battles lag horribly even with all graphical effects turned off. If you want to know about an engine, you need to stress it, push it to the max... not look at the tutorial for 20seconds.

The combat system : now seriously, a system that lets you customize every single one of your actions to adapt them to any of your needs... if that's holding back... I'd really get rid of the auto-attack in melee though. It'd be sufficient to give the "press and swing" feeling of AoC. You can get it anyway if you vary your melee attacks enough and use some "attack after X" stanzas and some "aim at X" stanzas.  Same for magic, there is not many games where you can decide the cost, cast speed and range of spells in exchange for supplementary power boosts or combine an affliction effect of your choice to your spell. Compared to the stanza system, magic in some of the most recent released game is still some of the same carbon-copy, cooldown-based cookie-cutter crap.

As for the world, now come on... Pyr City itself is as big as the trial island... and the lands are seemless and enormous. There is no loading time between the lvl 1-49 and 50-99 zone, but you will have a text flashing on top saying "You have left Imperial Dunes" "You are now in Oflovak's Oasis" for example. The only loading time is whenever you teleport or go through a portal between the enormous continents. The desert is desertic, of course. The various oasis are beautiful, though. But when you go to the Lakes, Jungle and forest, you'll be amazed by all the vegetation. And everything is moving, you can see the palm tree leaves getting shaken harder during storms... Pay attention to the sounds as well, sometimes they can "save your life" or be really scary. A lot of attention has been put in the ambiant sound effects. So many things to say... but it's better to visit them with full vegetation turned on for yourself and pay attention to the details.

---------
    Sherkalyn
    Crazy Marshmallow Lady
    Guild Leader of The Exodus Syndicate in Ryzom
    "Experience Perfection :: Unharness Your Power"
    www.exodusgs.com

• PiquedramPiquedram Member Posts: 127

well said sherkalyn, i've been with ryzom since its launch, and haven't seen a game that can captivate me as much or with such a living world as Ryzom.

Originally posted by Wizardry

Personally i know gaming VERY well,i can tell in about 20 seconds by looking at the game world,what kind of effort went into the engine and game world.There was NOTHING on the beginners isle that gave any impressions of the game getting that much better,i mean it would have had to of been two TOTALLY different games and in that case,what use would the tutorial have been?

Lets just say, after 20 seconds you´ve fond nothing to pique your limited interest and understanding of "Gaming", eh? To each his/her own. *shrug*

And just remember, this game is older than WoW and still beats it by length graphics and AI wise.

MOBs moving from point A to point B I can have everywhere else, MOBs attacking and eating each other I´ve never seen elswhere. Only in Chronicles of Spellborn is a similar effect, but there the bears and wolves only kill the hares and other small beasts to let them rot. Seemingly they´re just a bit "mamalcidal" and not hungry enough to care, they probably get enough noobs to feed on

CU

SaM

Do you dare to adapt?
  • GilgameeshGilgameesh Member UncommonPosts: 412

It's not the first time that Wizardry jumps in this forum to troll. Don't feed the trolls.

Nickname registered on www.mynickname.org

• gatherisgatheris Member UncommonPosts: 1,016

yup, on the mainland you can TRY to go anywhere you want to - but take some large friends with you 'cause it is a really big and very dangerous world...(enjoy)

• PiquedramPiquedram Member Posts: 127

if you're lucky, and know how to avoid mobs, and are patient enough to avoid mobs, you can go anywhere from level 1. Although i wouldn't recommend it, it has been done by players, even if just to be able to say "I was able to trek around the world at level 1 (in xxx deaths, lol)" The lowest level I ever attempted such a trek was 17, but i didn't manage to get all the way around.

• TheocritusTheocritus Member LegendaryPosts: 9,739

Heh I must have been the only one that liked Silan more than the mainland....On the mainland it felt like all I did was dig and craft stuff to give away to other players.......After level 105 I had enough......I thought Silan was fun....I think I enjoyed learning things about the game....Once on the mainland I didnt learn anything except where not to go........

Hmhm. ok.

Do you know how to dig up 20-25 Mats from one source, three times in a row, without loosing your focus?

Do you know how to fight mobs way bigger than you, without tiring or having to run from them?

Do you know how to get around thesay  "Abyss of Ichor" without even having to fight these same mobs?

Do you know how to craft a realy good Magic-Amplifier, or a pair of boots?

Do you know where to find supreme materials that many overlook?

Well,... I think there´s much to learn on the mainland, only the game doesn´t hand it to you on a the

famous silver plate, you´ll have to do the "research" all by yourself

CU

SaM

Do you dare to adapt?
  • MariannMariann Member Posts: 200
    Originally posted by Piquedram

if you're lucky, and know how to avoid mobs, and are patient enough to avoid mobs, you can go anywhere from level 1. Although i wouldn't recommend it, it has been done by players, even if just to be able to say "I was able to trek around the world at level 1 (in xxx deaths, lol)" The lowest level I ever attempted such a trek was 17, but i didn't manage to get all the way around.

Tried that the other weekend... managed to get from Zora through undersprings (lvl 250 zone) to Pyr with my lvl 43 alt (only 6 dp's).

Feeling extremely confident, I set out across trench of trials (18 dp's - but after 10 it does not count) finally reached the mythical land of Bounty Beach (lvl 200 zone)... and have lost count of the dp's there.

Meryan is still sitting at the portal from Trench of Trials to Bounty Beach.

Moonlightmist