Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Why don't they make more Mini orpgs like Monster hunter?

Calintz333Calintz333 Member UncommonPosts: 1,193

I personally love small little online action games like monster hunter, I think I had more fun with Monster hunter for the ps2 than I have with almost all other mmorpgs Iv tried, and Iv tried about everything on the list to the left except Anarchy and one or two others.

I like them because I can play them at my leasure, I can simply log on, do a quest log off, and feel like I did something, They don't try to force grind at you all the time, You just adventure, craft make your own gear, I simply enjoy it. You can be done with the game in about 6 months if you are a super hard core non stop player, and then you're done, but still there's tons of legendary stuff you need groups to get and really hard to beat bosses.  I just really enjoyed that game.

Games like phantasy star online, I liked, However the fact that there was a 200 level grind I did not like as much, A game like PSO would be good for me, If the cap would have stayed at 100, There is not enough real content to give the players such a high level cap in those kinds of games.

Anyways, My question is why are there hardly any of these games out there?

I have been looking for a game like Monter hunter or Phantasy star online for a very long time now, I found PSU but that one is not as good, and its much more boring than PSO since everyone runs the same mission over and over again.

I want a game that has a lobby, the game comes with like 400-700 pre packed quests, Maybe one or two big updates with 50 quests more or something but nothing insane like a full open mmorpg, I like to call these games Mini ORPGs.

And plz if some one knows of one for the PC pay 2 play or free 2 play I honestly would pay for a casual ORPG like those. Decent graphics would be a must, at least Ps2 quality.  I would really really appreciate if some one told me if there is PC games like this out there.

Comments

• PatchDayPatchDay Member Posts: 1,641

The closest thing Monster Hunter PS2 is probably the upcoming Diablo 3. Also you can checkout Neverwinter nights 2 persistent servers.

Also you may like Guild Wars btw if you haven't already tried. That's bout as close as you can get.

• Calintz333Calintz333 Member UncommonPosts: 1,193

Yeah Im actually waiting on D3 now... The only problem I have is going to be totally cash shop, I have no problem with the cash shop system but I have a problem with Blizzards greed...

Currently Im playing PSOBB on the Pservers which are now legit since PSOBB shut down. I also play FFXI, but I really just want a chill ORPG game.

Is NWN2 a online role playing game too? like Monster hunter? and is it on PC since my Xbox 360 gave me Error E74, Im going to wait a year or so and get a PS3  later...so for now all I got is my PC.

• GameloadingGameloading Member UncommonPosts: 14,182

You should take a good look at Diablo 3.

Guild Wars and City of X might also be interesting to you.

If you want a free to play game, Lunia is also somewhat similar to PSO in design, but not as good and not a whole lot of content, but it's free so hey.

• sanders01sanders01 Member Posts: 1,357
    Originally posted by PatchDay

The closest thing Monster Hunter PS2 is probably the upcoming Diablo 3. Also you can checkout Neverwinter nights 2 persistent servers.

Also you may like Guild Wars btw if you haven't already tried. That's bout as close as you can get.

None of these are like MH for Ps2, not a bit. Monster Hunter Frontier with a proxy is the closest you can get, and you better be able to speak japanese or not speak at all.  But I agree, more smaller games like monster hunter with 100-300 people in "lobby" like channels. God it brings back memories, farming for my Auroeos set, my first Fatalis hunt...

Currently restarting World of Warcraft :/

Originally posted by Gameloading

You should take a good look at Diablo 3.

Guild Wars and City of X might also be interesting to you.
    If you want a free to play game, Lunia is also somewhat similar to PSO in design, but not as good and not a whole lot of content, but it's free so hey.

I have GW (one of my fvarorite games)and I did try CoX, I liked CoX however it felt to big for me, I really feel like playing lobby game play like PSO and MH type games, so that I can always find people.

• NadiaNadia Member UncommonPosts: 11,798

Dungeon Runners may be worth a look

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dungeon_Runners

• BukoBuko Member Posts: 61

God I miss PSO >_<'

Originally posted by Buko

God I miss PSO >_<'

You can still play it, the server I play on supports all the versions include dreamcast. There's tons of players, well not tons but enough 514 players on as I type this.

If anyone knows of any other games like this plz let me know ^_^

• RoinRoin Member RarePosts: 3,444

Monster Hunter Frontier Online was released in Korea,  and later in Japan not too long ago.  It is sad it will never be localized for the NA/EU region.  Was fun for the couple of days I got to play it.  Though I will agree I would definitely like to see more Mini ORPG's.  Phantasy Star Online and Monster Hunter when they were originally released were two of my all time favorites.

In War - Victory.
    In Peace - Vigilance.
    In Death - Sacrifice.

Originally posted by Calintz333

Yea me too :P Monster Hunter was one of the best games online/offline i've ever played.

• GameloadingGameloading Member UncommonPosts: 14,182

Dungeons & Dragons Online

• IhmoteppIhmotepp Member Posts: 14,495

I can almost bet that new monster hunter that is coming to Wii will never be relesed in the US. Damn why do they hate us so >.<

I can almost bet that new monster hunter that is coming to Wii will never be relesed in the US. Damn why do they hate us so >.<

Yep. They hate us so because they advertised none and expect it to sell well like it did in japan.

Great...

Originally posted by sanders01

None of these are like MH for Ps2, not a bit. Monster Hunter Frontier with a proxy is the closest you can get, and you better be able to speak japanese or not speak at all.  But I agree, more smaller games like monster hunter with 100-300 people in "lobby" like channels. God it brings back memories, farming for my Auroeos set, my first Fatalis hunt...

That is why I said "closest thing". MH is a console sandboxy japanese RPG. I would expect one to apply a little common sense here

Is NWN2 a online role playing game too? like Monster hunter? and is it on PC since my Xbox 360 gave me Error E74, Im going to wait a year or so and get a PS3  later...so for now all I got is my PC.

NWN2 is an online RPG yes and much more indepth then MH in many ways. For one, players can create 'mods' for NWN/NWN2 and run their own servers providing an online miniRPG feel. What I listed earlier was mini-online RPGs- not MH clones.

That is why I said "closest thing". MH is a console sandboxy japanese RPG. I would expect one to apply a little common sense here

Then let me clarify, they're nothing like MH. What you say is close, isnt, being "close" is being "like" the game, or so I would think. Think about it, not too hard :X

Is NWN Free 2 play after you buy it? and does it have quests and stuff you can do with other players?

also is 50 bucks right basic pc game price?

Is NWN Free 2 play after you buy it? and does it have quests and stuff you can do with other players?

also is 50 bucks right basic pc game price?

Yes both NWN/NWN2 have campaigns you can play online with other players. In addition, you can play them on PWs which offer for more depth then MH series. And they can probably both be purchased for far less then $50.

I forget the limit of concurrent players but they far exceed MH's limitations

MMORPG.com has a nice little writeup of NWN2 here on this site somewhere.

Then let me clarify, they're nothing like MH. What you say is close, isnt, being "close" is being "like" the game, or so I would think. Think about it, not too hard :X

I never said anything was a MH clone. I said the games from my list are close to providing a casual online RPG feel.

Cool thanks for the info on it, Im going to see if i can find it at the store tomorrow.