Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

So where's the next big post-WAR hopefull

greymanngreymann Member Posts: 757

Is there anything huge at all on the horizon now that warhammer's out of the way?  This not it.  No new media at all even with release looming.  In that vid you see huge featureless landscapes and classes all running robotically as if made from the same cookie-cutter.  Same speed, in step.  Looks so goofy.  It's one of those games that will do better the less people know about it.

Comments

• EnthanlEnthanl Member Posts: 5
    Originally posted by greymann

Is there anything huge at all on the horizon now that warhammer's out of the way?  This not it.  No new media at all even with release looming.  In that vid you see huge featureless landscapes and classes all running robotically as if made from the same cookie-cutter.  Same speed, in step.  Looks so goofy.  It's one of those games that will do better the less people know about it.

What classes?

Try harder.

• gamerman98gamerman98 Member UncommonPosts: 807

Originally posted by Enthanl
    Originally posted by greymann Is there anything huge at all on the horizon now that warhammer's out of the way?  This not it.  No new media at all even with release looming.  In that vid you see huge featureless landscapes and classes all running robotically as if made from the same cookie-cutter.  Same speed, in step.  Looks so goofy.  It's one of those games that will do better the less people know about it.
    What classes?

Try harder.

yes they actually have something along the lines of a class...

Try even harder

• greymanngreymann Member Posts: 757

What classes?

Try harder.

Try what?  I'm not going to shed a tear over not being the big nerd on this one.  Classes or not, it still looks dumb.  /trump /trump /trump /trump  /flies 200 feet up in the air!  lol

• SupderDSupderD Member Posts: 243

What classes?

Try harder.

There will be classes, just not cookie cutter templates.

Greymann,

And the video is mostly just bots running and fighting.  But you really shouldn't bash darkfall if you haven't even taken the time to read up on it.  It makes you appear like nothing more than a blind hater.

"Luckily I know that while you make nonsnese baiting threads that get locked....threads I make get sticked by the mods on this forum...." -imbant (greatest board warrior EVER)
    Darkfall Countdown: http://darkfallreleasedate.com/

• fagercraftfagercraft Member Posts: 170

The biggest atm is probably Aion.

then you got EvE: WiS, Jumpgate evolution, the new starwars game and alot more...

Nothing but aion comes close to the hyp of AoC/WAR thou, and its heavely asian aimed - so most of the adds for the game are done in asia.

But this does not belong in DF forums, here its just trolling - but i love feeding trolls.

FagerCraft - Feeding the trolls on mmorpg.com since 2005.

• BlodplsBlodpls Member Posts: 1,454

The people who are interested in this game aren't looking for a mass market dumbed down crapfest so probably neither expect or are wanting the next huge WAR style game.  They mostly want sandbox style world simulation with pvp.

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,500

Only the most rabid fanbois believe DF is going to be the next big thing.

What I and others want is a good game that is a decent world simulation with PVP with rewards and consequences.  If it succeed and draws in 250K players, its a success in my book.

As others have said, AION is probably the next big thing, at least in Asia for sure.

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• starplayastarplaya Member Posts: 49

QFT LOL.

cant wait for all the QQing fanbois on the 22nd and the excuse, ahem, lie that will spew out of Tasos' mouth as to why they didnt release...

ill say it again, it will be Jan 22nd and miraculously the NDA is still in effect and there's still no open beta...

• hidden1hidden1 Member UncommonPosts: 1,244
    Originally posted by Blodpls

The people who are interested in this game aren't looking for a mass market dumbed down crapfest so probably neither expect or are wanting the next huge WAR style game.  They mostly want sandbox style world simulation with pvp.

Personally I've been searching for something to replace, WO, and HGL, and Tabula... seems every rpg/mmorpg i play the company goes under, or the servers shut down.  I was interested in TCoS and now it looks like i cursed that too as everyone thinks i'ts going to die and Acclaim is gonna drop out as a publisher... I've been checking out Darkfall out and it's seem okay so far in forums, but about the only thing I don't like is the "item degredation" but that's just a personal opinion...

Even if this is sandbox title, I would be happy if it's at least the world sizes of RF online.

• shamus252shamus252 Member UncommonPosts: 226

WarHammer is a great game darkfall is total trash trust me on that one but i see the next big big mmo being the Star Wars games from BioWare

Sic semper tyrannis "Democracy broke down, not when the Union
    ceased to be agreeable to all its constituent States, but when it was upheld, like any other Empire, by force of arms."

• lordsn0wlordsn0w Member Posts: 99

Please people, greymann is nothing but a troll do not feed this post all he wants is for a heated argument to start, ignore it and let the post disapear.

Originally posted by shamus252

WarHammer is a great game darkfall is total trash trust me on that one but i see the next big big mmo being the Star Wars games from BioWare

I dunno about that, but I played 3 toons on Warhammer all the way to lvl 20 each... then I gave up on it because the gameplay  bored me... I went back to hellgate because it's a twiched-based gameplay mechanic, and the characters there play and move fast, where on Warhammer they seem to move in slow motion like in a bad dream.

Also, the summoner class I made in warhammer could only summon one minion and it doesn't move along with you... wherein in hellgate I made a summoner and at lvl 20 i had 7-9 minions at a time protecting me and owning mobs...

Another thing that I didn't like for Warhammer's characters is the use flat texture maps ala WoW which has been out since 2004... and the texture map for hellgate were 3D... I mean you can see the bumps and grooves in the armor and the bling bling reflections and shading added to this...

I'm just hoping Darkfall looks and plays better then Warhammer at least... though I doubt it will play as fast as hellgate (wich to me plays almost as fast an arcade game more than an rpg). 

As for BioWare and Star Wars mmo... well from the videos so far it looks like it's using flat texture maps on the characters...  so that is sort of disappointing... but on the bright side, I do like the animation speed and movement of what they've shown so far.  Especially the lightsaber dueling.  My interest is piqued.

Originally posted by SupderD

What classes?

Try harder.

There will be classes, just not cookie cutter templates.

Greymann,

And the video is mostly just bots running and fighting.  But you really shouldn't bash darkfall if you haven't even taken the time to read up on it.  It makes you appear like nothing more than a blind hater.

Heh.  Well when you've been around the block a few more times with these games you'll be able to spot a loser as quick as me. :)

The people who are interested in this game aren't looking for a mass market dumbed down crapfest so probably neither expect or are wanting the next huge WAR style game.  They mostly want sandbox style world simulation with pvp

Help me out with this one:  So the tell-tale sign that a game is not dumbed down is that it isn't marketed as well?  Ok marketing aside, explain how darkfall is so much more intelligent a game then the bigger ones that you exclusive elite avoid.

Originally posted by Kyleran

Only the most rabid fanbois believe DF is going to be the next big thing.
    What I and others want is a good game that is a decent world simulation with PVP with rewards and consequences.  If it succeed and draws in 250K players, its a success in my book.
    As others have said, AION is probably the next big thing, at least in Asia for sure.

Then it looks like waiting for that elusive wow-killer or the next great mmo has finally come to an end.  All eyes towards the god blizzard who hands out gifts to all his children... whenever he gets around to it.  Well that and red5studios looks the most promising in terms of it's philosophy and employees' history.

Originally posted by lordsn0w

Please people, greymann is nothing but a troll do not feed this post all he wants is for a heated argument to start, ignore it and let the post disapear.

Somehow I get the feeling no one listened. "Pleeeease Oh Pleeeeeeas people"!

• severiusseverius Member UncommonPosts: 1,516

It all boils down to a matter of individual tastes/likes/dislikes etc.  For myself I am enjoying WAR, now moreso than a month or so ago lol.  Next on the horizon, at least for me are Aion (just to dink around in for a bit), Champions Online, Star Trek and Star Wars The Old Republic.  Will give TCOS a try tomorrow but its fallen more and more off my own radar for awhile now.  Nothing else really looks all that interesting, for me.

• fagercraftfagercraft Member Posts: 170

The people who are interested in this game aren't looking for a mass market dumbed down crapfest so probably neither expect or are wanting the next huge WAR style game.  They mostly want sandbox style world simulation with pvp

Help me out with this one:  So the tell-tale sign that a game is not dumbed down is that it isn't marketed as well?  Ok marketing aside, explain how darkfall is so much more intelligent a game then the bigger ones that you exclusive elite avoid.

Ill try to help you

What he is getting at (althou abit rude) is that Aventurine is not trying to preach to the masses, they are trying to preach to a niche market. By not having adds everywhere shows this. They seem to trust that the playerbase they are aiming for will find out about this game themselfs.

And dumbed down means that game mechanics that takes time and many consider a grind is taken away. In easy terms its like going on an adventure, but walking is borring so you whine to God, and God places your end destination just a few KMs away, instead of the previous around the world trip.

The big masses wants instant gratification, they do not want to Grind/earn/work/have a second job (you choose your definition) in a game, they just want the prize instant. Rarely do they realize or care that the less they fight/work/grind for there goal, the less of an accomplishment it will be.

But they just want a game to have fun in and thats understandable too. DFs is a light in the dark for people who do not want a "dumbed down game" to fight and win/lose explore and adventure in. A hard game where the gratification can take alot of time and work to get, or maybe theyll never even get there - yet still they enjoyed trying for it, testing themselfs.

They get easily scared on any move that can be considered dumbed down, since so many games have been remade for the masses to sell better, few gaming companies are satisfied with a small playerbase and tries to make what most want - and often fails misarably loosing there old playerbase and getting no new.

If aventurine was doing mass Adds, they'd only get worried becouse that would mean aventurine wanted to bring in and make there game for players that... is not really looking for a second job type of game. Wich would incline that aventurine would easy change there game to make it easier and add shortcuts.

Hope this shed some light on the whole.

FagerCraft - Feeding the trolls on mmorpg.com since 2005.

Originally posted by fagercraft

Ill try to help you

What he is getting at (althou abit rude) is that Aventurine is not trying to preach to the masses, they are trying to preach to a niche market. By not having adds everywhere shows this. They seem to trust that the playerbase they are aiming for will find out about this game themselfs.

And dumbed down means that game mechanics that takes time and many consider a grind is taken away. In easy terms its like going on an adventure, but walking is borring so you whine to God, and God places your end destination just a few KMs away, instead of the previous around the world trip.

The big masses wants instant gratification, they do not want to Grind/earn/work/have a second job (you choose your definition) in a game, they just want the prize instant. Rarely do they realize or care that the less they fight/work/grind for there goal, the less of an accomplishment it will be.

But they just want a game to have fun in and thats understandable too. DFs is a light in the dark for people who do not want a "dumbed down game" to fight and win/lose explore and adventure in. A hard game where the gratification can take alot of time and work to get, or maybe theyll never even get there - yet still they enjoyed trying for it, testing themselfs.

They get easily scared on any move that can be considered dumbed down, since so many games have been remade for the masses to sell better, few gaming companies are satisfied with a small playerbase and tries to make what most want - and often fails misarably loosing there old playerbase and getting no new.

If aventurine was doing mass Adds, they'd only get worried becouse that would mean aventurine wanted to bring in and make there game for players that... is not really looking for a second job type of game. Wich would incline that aventurine would easy change there game to make it easier and add shortcuts.

at first I was interested, but now you disuade me from trying this after such an explanation... seems that it might be too tedious and grindy for a second job, that it may take too long to develop your character... yeah from what you write, it also seems they are targetting a very niche market... the only problem w/ that niche is that most onlne gamers have lives, have to go to work, and pay rent, an may want to play something a little less involved than DF...

So it seems that they are marketting this for children? retired people? and/or disabled people?  I mean from what you described above, it would seem to anyone reading it that their core market would have to have A LOT of time on their hands to play this game.

• NatrisNatris Member Posts: 38
    Originally posted by hidden1

Originally posted by fagercraft

Ill try to help you

at first I was interested, but now you disuade me from trying this after such an explanation... seems that it might be too tedious and grindy for a second job, that it may take too long to develop your character... yeah from what you write, it also seems they are targetting a very niche market... the only problem w/ that niche is that most onlne gamers have lives, have to go to work, and pay rent, an may want to play something a little less involved than DF...

So it seems that they are marketting this for children? retired people? and/or disabled people?  I mean from what you described above, it would seem to anyone reading it that their core market would have to have A LOT of time on their hands to play this game.

I do not think fagercraft is correct. The devs did again and again show that they are no realism fanatics and that they make the game as little tedious as possible and they do as much as they can for the game to be fun - but only as long as these features do not collide with the core game mechanics.

To make an example, the game is made so that people are distributed throughout its very huge landscape. Because of this they do not build the game around "unique dungeons" like WoW but there are dynamic spawns everywhere so that you can do PvE anywhere; they make a cap on how many people can bind to certain locations to avoid overpopulation, teleportation is restricted etc. As a result, it is not possible to quickly teleport anywhere without hassle. Not because it is realistic, not because traveling should be tedious, but because combat and economy dynamics would not work without it.

So I would not be scared; try to read up a little and if you can accept that the world is harash and you may sometimes lose some, feel free to try the game.

• shamus252shamus252 Member UncommonPosts: 226

Darkfall is just one of thoes games to where if you dont have a massive huge player base its going to FAIL big time and be no fun if i remember right its spose to have a huge world like DnL was boasting if i remember reading some fan rants on blogs and stuff it takes like 8 hrs almost in DF to walk from one side of the map to the other I see if you dont have at least 10k+ on one server at all times online it wouldnt be alot of fun. Now one of my friends is in the beta for DF ive watched him play it quite a few times and even tried it once myself which i didnt really like it but he does I guess it really just depends on your taste.

Sic semper tyrannis "Democracy broke down, not when the Union
    ceased to be agreeable to all its constituent States, but when it was upheld, like any other Empire, by force of arms."