Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Is it possible play EVE casually?

BwanaKuuBwanaKuu Member Posts: 146

I'm a more casual MMO player and was wondering if playing EVE casually is possible.  I can play 1-3 hours weekdays and 4-6 hours weekends.  I don't even care if I don't make it to the top of the game or the really high-level content, I just am wondering if there are more casual Corps and such so that I would have people to play with.  I've tried it a few times before and never lasted more than a day or so just because I couldn't figure out how to do most things and felt kind of lonely.  How do I even go about grouping with people or finding a Corp?  

Comments

• nurglesnurgles Member Posts: 840

the short answer is yes.

Eve does suit casual solo gameplay. Industry and trade especially.

If casual PvP and grouping is more your thing, Faction warfare in throw away frigs is a great way to go. finance replacement frigs with a bit of ninja looting/salvaging and you are right to go.

• EschiavaEschiava Member Posts: 485

It is very definitely possible.  I play 1-2 hours, 3 nights per week on weekdays and 4-6 hours on weekends.  I am a member of a lowsec pirate corp and loving it. 

• nariusseldonnariusseldon Member EpicPosts: 27,775

I just started a 21 day trial and i am playing quite casually running only a few missions a day. I am loving it.

• x_rast_xx_rast_x Member Posts: 745

Eve is casually hardcore - it's less about how much you play and more about how well you play.

I generally only play a couple of hours a day atm, since I'm quite busy IRL.  I do just fine.

• calvin80calvin80 Member Posts: 20

And what do u have to say for newbies? How and where to begin .....

• skankyrartskankyrart Member Posts: 66
    Originally posted by BwanaKuu

I'm a more casual MMO player and was wondering if playing EVE casually is possible.  I can play 1-3 hours weekdays and 4-6 hours weekends.  I don't even care if I don't make it to the top of the game or the really high-level content, I just am wondering if there are more casual Corps and such so that I would have people to play with.  I've tried it a few times before and never lasted more than a day or so just because I couldn't figure out how to do most things and felt kind of lonely.  How do I even go about grouping with people or finding a Corp?  

I would say it is more open to casual gamers than other games as skill training continues while offline. That being said, the more you play (or the smarter you play) and the more money you can make, the better the equipment and ships you can buy, as well as the more you can buy. And in EVE money and cornering part of the economy makes you powerful.

In terms of the game itself...

http://lh6.ggpht.com/gduncan411/R9qbAETP68I/AAAAAAAAAWo/1Aoa_WRCNKg/LearningCurve%5B4%5D

The image shown in the above link shows why you quit after a day - well, that and maybe that it isn't really a social game for the first few days except for asking people questions. But, there are many corps looking for people, and you can even ask to group up with people in the noob corporation you start in. I found the people in the rookie chat channel to be a useful resource for figuring the game out.

• damian7damian7 Member Posts: 4,449
    Originally posted by calvin80

And what do u have to say for newbies? How and where to begin .....

eve university.

could we please get correspondent writers and moderators, on the eve forum at mmorpg.com, who are well-versed on eve-online and aren't just passersby pushing buttons? pretty please?

• BwanaKuuBwanaKuu Member Posts: 146

I'm starting to see how this could be casual.  One thing I changed from the other times I tried out Eve is that I am reading some guides so I know what I'm doing (at least better than I did before). I started a 10hour skill last night and when I woke up this morning, just had to log in and click another skill to start training then could go about my day.  Only problem is my isk inflow but hopefully that will improve once I get a better ship.

• miagisanmiagisan Member Posts: 5,156

i just had a 2nd kid (now i have a 2 yr old and a newborn) and eve actually fits my casual play best, i can log on to run a level 3 mission, make a few isk, log off and train while i am busy with the kids, for me its the perfect game.

Originally posted by miagisan

i just had a 2nd kid (now i have a 2 yr old and a newborn) and eve actually fits my casual play best, i can log on to run a level 3 mission, make a few isk, log off and train while i am busy with the kids, for me its the perfect game.

I'm a college student so I have a lot of studying/work to do most of the time, so it's nice that I can still be advancing in the game without spending much actual time in-game.  However, I can also play hardcore if I get some free time (and don't have anything else to do with that free time).

• skankyrartskankyrart Member Posts: 66

I'm starting to see how this could be casual.  One thing I changed from the other times I tried out Eve is that I am reading some guides so I know what I'm doing (at least better than I did before). I started a 10hour skill last night and when I woke up this morning, just had to log in and click another skill to start training then could go about my day.  Only problem is my isk inflow but hopefully that will improve once I get a better ship.

As a rookie one of the best ways to make isk is by salvaging. To speed up salvaging, you can run the mission with your normal ship and leave all the wrecks there, and fly to a station and switch to a salvaging ship (typically a destroyer with ~8 hi slots - where you can put 4 tractor beams and 4 salvagers), and then fly back to the mission and salvage everything. And of course, afterwards turn in the mission and eventually sell on the stuff on the market. And by that, I mean take all your goods to Jita, or another trade hub, and get a good price for your goods. And for lugging cargo, It may help to get  lvl 1 industrial ships so you can lug a ton of stuff.

Disclaimer: there are obviously lots of other ways to make isk - and many of them are better, but this can most likely increase the isk flow of any rookie

• TaramTaram Member CommonPosts: 1,700

1) Yes possible (even good) to play Casually
    2) To find a corp there are multiple ways:
    - Join the Corp Recruiting channel in game (Tutorial even tells you how)
    - Post in the EVE-O recruitment forums
    - Look in the recruiting forums here
    - Ask in the corp channel you are in by default when you start the game...
    - Look in ANY station you dock in and you'll find corp offices for various corporations
    - Join EVE University as a new player as they can help out with the learning curve.
    - If you want to PVP join Agony Unleashed if you can, they'll teach you PVP.

"A ship-of-war is the best ambassador." - Oliver Cromwell

• dterrydterry Member Posts: 449

In a funny sort of way, I view EVE as one of the best casual games on the market. I try to play EVE and one other game at all times, with EVE as the secondary game. Real-Time skill training means that whenever I want a break from EVE I am still making significant advances for my toon. Every time I logon I am more useful to my CORP.  Where else can you advance your character when you are offline? The only real issue you will have is that you will not advance into more powerful ships as fast as other characters, but if you pick a less expensive class of ship to work into and master, it won't seem that bad.

Originally posted by dterry

In a funny sort of way, I view EVE as one of the best casual games on the market. I try to play EVE and one other game at all times, with EVE as the secondary game. Real-Time skill training means that whenever I want a break from EVE I am still making significant advances for my toon. Every time I logon I am more useful to my CORP.  Where else can you advance your character when you are offline? The only real issue you will have is that you will not advance into more powerful ships as fast as other characters, but if you pick a less expensive class of ship to work into and master, it won't seem that bad.

I keep reading that many people just train the prereqs to get to a BC or BS and then get owned by frigates because their other support skills are terrible.  I'm training my learning skills right now and then I'm going to start working on my support skills while I just run missions, mine a little, and salvage to make some isk.