Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Question regarding power supply..

hvc801hvc801 Member Posts: 987

I just put together my new build and installed one of my new, but older psu's.  I plug everything in, made sure everything is connected properlly and then went to boot up the computer.  Only had my monitor and my keyboard pluged in at the time.  Turns out, nothing was outputted onto the screen. I checked my connections again and then realized that there was an 8 pin ATX power plug to power up the cpu not plugged in.  The problem is, is that I only have a 6-pin atx power cable for my psu.  I have an older Hiper Type-R psu and its 550watts.  I do have SLI connection and the psu says its good for sli.  But as far as the 8-pin goes.. Do they make a plug I can use, or would I have to get another psu?

mobo and video cards:

EVGA 132-CK-NF78-A1 LGA 775 NVIDIA nForce 780i SLI ATX Intel Motherboard

EVGA 512-P3-N860-TR GeForce 9600 GT 512MB 256-bit GDDR3 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready SLI Supported Video Card

so, should I jsut upgrade to maybe an 800watt, or 1000watt, with an 8-pin atx power hook up? Or see if they make a plug I can use for my psu?

What if Paul Revere was like the boy who cried wolf....?

Originally posted by Hazmal

What does he say when people ask what he did? "My mommy was irking me yo - I wanted to keep pwning nubs on my xbox, so I roughed her up with a hardshell. That is just how I roll."

Comments

• Stuka1000Stuka1000 Member UncommonPosts: 955

On most motherboards you can just plug the 6 pin connector into the 8 pin socket, for others you can buy an adapter.  check your motherboard manual.

• jagd1jagd1 Member Posts: 281

? cant say i fully  understood your problem

'' there was an 8 pin ATX power plug to power up the cpu not plugged in ''  You have probably 4pin one at psu ,some new psus have 8 pin EPS12V but you still can use 4pin connection from your psu to mobo Just read your motherboard manuel carefully  .

800w /1000w for 9600Gt sli? Overkill  ,550w should be more than enough

www.tomshardware.com/forum/247828-28-what-eps12v   I hope i understood correct your problem

• hvc801hvc801 Member Posts: 987

Yeah, I figured 550watts should be enough to power the whole thing.  I just didnt want to plug in the 6-pin connector into the 8-pin socket and possibly short something out.  I will read over the motherboard manual, and the power supplies.  Thanks for all the information, you've both been good help.

What if Paul Revere was like the boy who cried wolf....?

Originally posted by Hazmal

What does he say when people ask what he did? "My mommy was irking me yo - I wanted to keep pwning nubs on my xbox, so I roughed her up with a hardshell. That is just how I roll."

• jagd1jagd1 Member Posts: 281

I  found nice and informative pictures at playtool.com  ,take a look www.playtool.com/pages/psuconnectors/connectors.html