Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Are people more happy with the game now?

I had been following the release of the game and wanted to buy it upon release but after reading the disappointing reviews i decided to pass and bought warhammer instead.I never bonded with war and ended up cancelling after the trial period.so how is aoc now at this stage of the game?are people more happy and has it gotten more polished?

Comments

• silkwormsilkworm Member Posts: 163
  • Soki123Soki123 Member RarePosts: 2,558

I m new to AOC, but i m enjoying it alot. Just wish i could decide on a duo for my wife and I :)

• ScaredgirlScaredgirl Member Posts: 313

As far as polishing, AoC has improved A LOT since launch. Much less bugs and client is much more stable. People still have some technical issues but nothing like what we had at launch.

As far as the game itself, it hasn't improved much. Content is still pretty much the same. Only major change is the pvp xp system, which was a letdown to most pvp players, myself included.

AoC is basically still the same old boring game but now much more polished.

In conclution, people who quit because of technical issues, should be much happier now. People who quit because they didn't like the game, still won't like it, and probably never will.

I suggest you wait for server merges and trials and try for yourself.

-----------------------------
    Originally posted by Frobner
    "Massive sieges" "mounted combat" and "spellweaving" are just few words that spring to mind when I hear the word AOC.... But the word FAILURE will always top the list.

Originally posted by silkworm

One link... http://ve3d.ign.com/poll/results/237/2008-Game-of-the-Year

I rest my case.

That poll is a joke and tainted by hardcore AoC fanbois.

Here is a thread from official forums where they are asking everyone to go and vote multiple times:

forums.ageofconan.com/showthread.php

See that text on top of the poll?

"To prevent tampering, the poll is now for registered users only!"

They changed the poll to registered users only but didn't reset the votes so now we have this ridiculous result.

I also rest my case.

"Massive sieges" "mounted combat" and "spellweaving" are just few words that spring to mind when I hear the word AOC.... But the word FAILURE will always top the list.

• BearShammyBearShammy Member Posts: 240

I like the game a lot and now I can do that without being bothered with the bugs that were in at launch. The game performs perfectly and we have even started to see some extra content patched into the game (like PvP consequences, The new areas in Ymirs Pass, etc etc...). It's really getting there now and I am not the only one thinking that.

IGN.com just hosted a vote for Game of the year 2008 and AoC came in as #2 with over 2100 votes. That have to mean that some things are getting right. ve3d.ign.com/poll/results/237/2008-Game-of-the-Year

I recommend this game.

• nethrillnethrill Member Posts: 122

thanks for the reply's guys,I'm think i may just try it out.

• Soki123Soki123 Member RarePosts: 2,558

In all honesty, I waited till a couple weeks ago to try it. Why? well because i read so much bad about it. Then along came this new Game Director and from what i ve seen since he s been there and his interviews and ideas, that alone made me try it out. It is a blast IMO and i can see myself enjoying it for along time to come.

• RohnRohn Member UncommonPosts: 3,730
    Originally posted by BearShammy

I like the game a lot and now I can do that without being bothered with the bugs that were in at launch. The game performs perfectly and we have even started to see some extra content patched into the game (like PvP consequences, The new areas in Ymirs Pass, etc etc...). It's really getting there now and I am not the only one thinking that.
    IGN.com just hosted a vote for Game of the year 2008 and AoC came in as #2 with over 2100 votes. That have to mean that some things are getting right. ve3d.ign.com/poll/results/237/2008-Game-of-the-Year
    I recommend this game.

As pointed out above, that poll is worthless.  It allowed people to vote as many times on it as they wanted, which was happening so badly they had to restrict it to registered users only.

While they've polished out many of the bugs, the game is still very shallow and linear as an MMO goes.

Hell hath no fury like an MMORPG player scorned.

• AzrileAzrile Member Posts: 2,582
    Originally posted by nethrill

I had been following the release of the game and wanted to buy it upon release but after reading the disappointing reviews i decided to pass and bought warhammer instead.I never bonded with war and ended up cancelling after the trial period.so how is aoc now at this stage of the game?are people more happy and has it gotten more polished?

For $15, it is worth it for the first 20 levels.  Be warned that the game changes drastically after the first 20 levels though.  Also remember to delete your credit card information before you cancel the game.  There was a bunch of problems with peopel getting billed after they cancelled.

Worth $15 to experience the game = yes

Worth $15/month to continue playing = no

• Capn23Capn23 Member Posts: 1,529

@Rohn: You should add "In my opinion" to the end of your post.

@Azrile: It is quite different once you leave Tortage, but I belive the smartest thing to do would search for a few guides to help you out. It's easy to lose yourself after Tortage.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Guys! I'm hopelessly lost in a mountain of mole hills! Them damn moles!

• AzrileAzrile Member Posts: 2,582
    Originally posted by Capn23

@Azrile: It is quite different once you leave Tortage, but I belive the smartest thing to do would search for a few guides to help you out. It's easy to lose yourself after Tortage.

I wasn't really referring to that,  I was referring more to just the polish of the game.  Tortage is well polished, the rest of the game is really just thrown together

I think what Azrile means is that the game turns much worse after Tortage. Most people like Tortage but dislike everything else after that.

This is the reason why 90% of players quit after a couple of months. AoC seems pretty good at start but once you get to higher levels, you'll see it's nothing special and quite boring really.

IN MY OPINION.

• DaveTTDaveTT Member Posts: 405

Yes, AOC has improved ALOT since release, its a way better game now.

They have fixed most buggs, all performence issues, added many new quests, revamped dungeons, a hole new zone lvl 55-65 Ymir's pass, pvp-gear, pvp-lvls, pvp-system and much much more.

So yes this game is really cool and fun now days, and it will improve alot more, in january they will release a huge new patch, whit 3 new dungeons, pvp-resources, DX10 and much more

I recommend you to buy AOC and try it

Ohh and one more thing, dont listen to all the trolls who say that AOC sucks, and havent improved at all etc etc, they are only trolling and talking BS, they have probably nothing better to do, and are very bored.

------------------------------

Bear Grylls : I need to get out of this frozen hellhole!
    Bear Grylls : (Holds a beetle in his hand) 4 times more protein then Beef

@Capn23: In my opinion, you should add "in my opinion" to your opinion that I should add "in my opinion" to the end of my post.

Then, also in my opinion, you should go around all the boards on MMORPG.com imploring people to add "in my opinion" to opinions not clearly labeled with "in my opinion".  We must ensure opinion-labeling consistency!

Of course, that's just my opinion....

Originally posted by Azrile

I wasn't really referring to that,  I was referring more to just the polish of the game.  Tortage is well polished, the rest of the game is really just thrown together

You should not listen to Azrille he is a mega Troll, the only thing he seems to do is troll, i heard that he goes from forum to forum and trash talk about diffrent games and he tryes to get people to quit there game and join WOW.

And his comment about AOC, is just thrown together after lvl 20, is pure BS.

He has probably never played AOC, or he has maybe just tryed it at release for few hours.

No after lvl 20 the real game begins, its amazing, really cool and fun. All zones i have played are really fun and beautiful, the best zone is probably Ymir's pass and thats a lvl 55-65 zone.

• SevenwindSevenwind Member UncommonPosts: 2,188

I came back early December from leaving the first month at launch. The client bugs and constant daily class fixes made me cancel. Mostly the client felt super bloated and crashed a great deal.

Now it is pretty solid. I don't think I have had a client crash yet. If I have I don't remember.

Now would be a good time to buy the game since it has gone down in price. Goodluck in whatever you decide.

.. .... .- - . - .-. --- .-.. .-.. ... .-- .... --- .-. . .--. --- .-. - .-.-.-

--------------------------------------------------------
    Promote what you love instead of bashing what you hate.

Originally posted by DaveTT

Yes, AOC has improved ALOT since lunch, its a way better game now then at lunch.

They have fixed most buggs, all performence issues, added many new quests, revamped dungeons, a hole new zone lvl 55-65 Ymir's pass, pvp-gear, pvp-lvls, pvp-system and much much more.

So yes this game is really cool and fun now days, and it will improve alot more, in january they will lunch a huge new patch, whit 3 new dungeons, pvp-resources, DX10 and much more

Ohh and one more thing, dont listen to all the trolls who say that AOC sucks, and havent improved at all etc etc, they are only trolling and talking BS, they have probably nothing better to do, and are very bored.

If they've done all that since "lunch", just think of how great it'll be by dinner....

But more on topic, in my opinion, the game is really limited.  The additions listed above were absolutely necessary because of the terrible state the game launched in, and still didn't fundamentally change the poor foundation of the game.  AoC still requires a LOT more to be added/changed before it would be considered an average MMO given the competition out there.

Originally posted by Rohn

Yes, AOC has improved ALOT since lunch, its a way better game now then at lunch.

So yes this game is really cool and fun now days, and it will improve alot more, in january they will lunch a huge new patch, whit 3 new dungeons, pvp-resources, DX10 and much more

If they've done all that since "lunch", just think of how great it'll be by dinner....

But more on topic, in my opinion, the game is really limited.  The additions listed above were absolutely necessary because of the terrible state the game launched in, and still didn't fundamentally change the poor foundation of the game.  AoC still requires a LOT more to be added/changed before it would be considered an average MMO given the competition out there.

Rome wasn't built in a day =)

Could you elaborate on what it's missing compared to its competitors?

• AtlanNorAtlanNor Member UncommonPosts: 38

I've been playing for a couple months now and like the game a lot.  I will agree that it changes a lot after 20 and it is very easy to get lost and takes time to figure out where everything is and how to get around.  Much of the voice acting stops after Tortage which was the most disappointing thing for me.  Occasionally I'll run up on an NPC that actually speaks to you, otherwise you have to read through the text.  I felt much more a part of a story in Tortage than outside of it.  It didn't ruin the game for me however and I finally hit lvl 32 the other night.  It hasn't been a huge investment in time and I can just hop on, do a quest line, and hop off.  Every time I've needed help or wanted to group I haven't had a problem getting it.  I play on server SET and the community has been more than helpful.

Heh, you are a funny guy.....

I can see that you havent played so many mmo's, if you are saying that AOC still requires a "LOT" more to be added/changed before it would be considered an "average MMO".

Sure they should add more stuff and thats exactly what they are doing, but saying what you sad is way to harsh.

Have a good day sir.

I can see that you havent played so many mmo's, if you are saying that AOC still requires a "LOT" more to be added/changed before it would be considered an "average MMO".

Sure they should add more stuff and thats exactly what they are doing, but saying what you sad is way to harsh.

Have a good day sir.

I've played quite a few MMOs, which is the basis I use for my comparison.  Given that, I believe my statement is accurate - AoC provides a shallow MMO experience, and gives its players less than many other competing games.

Obviously, it's just my opinion, but it does need to add a lot to the game just to elevate it to the level of average, and it was absolutely horrible at launch.  While they have improved the experience somewhat, they still have a long way to go.

You have a good day as well.

Have a good day sir.

I've played quite a few MMOs, which is the basis I use for my comparison.  Given that, I believe my statement is accurate - AoC provides a shallow MMO experience, and gives its players less than many other competing games.

Obviously, it's just my opinion, but it does need to add a lot to the game just to elevate it to the level of average, and it was absolutely horrible at launch.  While they have improved the experience somewhat, they still have a long way to go.

You have a good day as well.

What is it missing though? Could you please elaborate.

• polypteruspolypterus Member Posts: 201

@Capn23: In my opinion, you should add "in my opinion" to your opinion that I should add "in my opinion" to the end of my post.

Then, also in my opinion, you should go around all the boards on MMORPG.com imploring people to add "in my opinion" to opinions not clearly labeled with "in my opinion".  We must ensure opinion-labeling consistency!

Of course, that's just my opinion....

LOL & QFT! I remember I used to say "in my opinion" a lot when I was a kid. Then one day my dad said to me: "It's redundant to say 'in my opinion' because it's obviously your opinion since you are the one saying it". Ever since then I've used that phase sparingly if at all. Occasionally I’ll use it if I feel like being real politic or it’s something that could be mistaken as fact, but overall I think my dad was right.

• MithrandolirMithrandolir Member UncommonPosts: 1,701

Luckily for me, I went against my instict and resubbed. I never thought I would be saying this, but the game is a lot better now in many ways... content post 50, performance, the playerbase is a lot cooler, etc...

I played beta and preordered but a month into release I just couldn't do it anymore. So much annoyed me... it outweighed the good by quite a bit. Today, however, is a different story.

I'm not here to convert anyone, I'm having a lot of fun regardless of who plays and who don't... obviously AoC took a major hit on subscribers around June/July...  and deservingly so (in my opinion :) ), the lies, the false advertising, the constantly broken patches, etc... 

But I have to give credit where it is due... and it's coming around very nicely now. I swore it off but I'd be cheating myself of a great mmorpg experience (and yes, I have played them all) if I hadn't come back recently.

It will likely never have the player base that it could have had, but it's certainly on the upswing and once again, deservingly so...

• AmazingAveryAmazingAvery Age of Conan AdvocateMember UncommonPosts: 7,188

I think that these are the only things to pay attention to in this thread so far:

Originally posted by Sevenwind

I came back early December from leaving the first month at launch. The client bugs and constant daily class fixes made me cancel. Mostly the client felt super bloated and crashed a great deal.

Now it is pretty solid. I don't think I have had a client crash yet. If I have I don't remember.

Now would be a good time to buy the game since it has gone down in price. Goodluck in whatever you decide.

Originally posted by ErikX

Scaredgirl, you really must have a sad, sad life. It seems you have dedicated all your time to bash a game you are not even playing. Why bother? Why do you not just move on, and instead use your precious time playing games that YOU like? Seriously - grow up and get a life!

Originally posted by AtlanNor

I've been playing for a couple months now and like the game a lot. I will agree that it changes a lot after 20 and it is very easy to get lost and takes time to figure out where everything is and how to get around. Much of the voice acting stops after Tortage which was the most disappointing thing for me. Occasionally I'll run up on an NPC that actually speaks to you, otherwise you have to read through the text. I felt much more a part of a story in Tortage than outside of it. It didn't ruin the game for me however and I finally hit lvl 32 the other night. It hasn't been a huge investment in time and I can just hop on, do a quest line, and hop off. Every time I've needed help or wanted to group I haven't had a problem getting it. I play on server SET and the community has been more than helpful.

Originally posted by Mithrandolir

Luckily for me, I went against my instict and resubbed. I never thought I would be saying this, but the game is a lot better now in many ways... content post 50, performance, the playerbase is a lot cooler, etc...

I played beta and preordered but a month into release I just couldn't do it anymore. So much annoyed me... it outweighed the good by quite a bit. Today, however, is a different story.

I'm not here to convert anyone, I'm having a lot of fun regardless of who plays and who don't... obviously AoC took a major hit on subscribers around June/July... and deservingly so (in my opinion :) ), the lies, the false advertising, the constantly broken patches, etc...

But I have to give credit where it is due... and it's coming around very nicely now. I swore it off but I'd be cheating myself of a great mmorpg experience (and yes, I have played them all) if I hadn't come back recently.

It will likely never have the player base that it could have had, but it's certainly on the upswing and once again, deservingly so...

You will also notice the regular lynch mob ingores these types of posts - what does that tell us?

I think that a lot of people are more happy because the direction the game is going is directly fed from the community itself. It is just getting better and better.