Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Game of the Year 2008 Award, Voodoo Extreme.

MMORPGers I am looking into Age of Conan. What are your thoughts on Conan? Is it a good game or not so much? It gets over 2000 votes in Voodoo Extremes yearly Game of the Year Award :/

ve3d.ign.com/poll/results/237/2008-Game-of-the-Year

Might make it into my 2009 game experience.

Comments

• SinReaperSinReaper Member Posts: 175
    Originally posted by Halflifer

MMORPGers I am looking into Age of Conan. What are your thoughts on Conan? Is it a good game or not so much? It gets over 2000 votes in Voodoo Extremes yearly Game of the Year Award :/

The most straightforward answer is "Try it yourself and see"; unless you count the opinions of strangers as critical to the decision making process.

I'd suggest allowing people to help you by establishing what constitutes "good" to you when it comes to MMO's. A top 5 of things you like/need in your MMO to start should give people something to work with.

Whaooo!

• ScaredgirlScaredgirl Member Posts: 313

That poll is fixed. They did the poll multiple times before it was made for registered users only. You really think Age of Conan would get so many votes compared to other games?

That poll is part of Funcom viral marketing campaign. It's funny when you read the comments you can see at least 2 same shills that post here on mmorpg.com. They have even copy-pasted their comments. It's pathetic.

AoC lost 90% of it's original player base and 95% of it's stock price. This is tell you something.

-----------------------------
    Originally posted by Frobner
    "Massive sieges" "mounted combat" and "spellweaving" are just few words that spring to mind when I hear the word AOC.... But the word FAILURE will always top the list.

• HalfliferHalflifer Member Posts: 19
    Originally posted by SinReaper

The most straightforward answer is "Try it yourself and see"; unless you count the opinions of strangers as critical to the decision making process.

I'd suggest allowing people to help you by establishing what constitutes "good" to you when it comes to MMO's. A top 5 of things you like/need in your MMO to start should give people something to work with.

Whaooo!

Well, the poll suggests that Conan is one of the better MMOs launched in 2008. For you hardcore mmoers, would you say AoC is worth a go and if so, why? Here is what I want:

1. Gory action combat.

2. Spectacular character animation as in Console games

3. Character development. New features with levels and stuff. FPS games doesn't typically have this

4. PvP.

What should I be looking for in particular? How's the community? age? The best servers in US?

Well, the poll suggests that Conan is one of the better MMOs launched in 2008. For you hardcore mmoers, would you say AoC is worth a go and if so, why? Here is what I want:
    1. Gory action combat.
    3. Character development. New features with levels and stuff. FPS games doesn't typically have this
    4. PvP.
    What should I be looking for in particular? How's the community? age? The best servers in US?

I find it very suspicious that you have created your account today claiming you are "new to AoC" and the first post you do is a thread about some fixed poll.

Forget this poll, everyone knows it's viral marketing by Funcom.

AoC has gore and character animations but pvp sucks big time. It's only ganking and zerging and gets boring really fast, trust me. Every hardcore pvp player I personally know has quit AoC after a couple of months.

Age of Conan is a pve game.

If you want massive pvp then buy WAR or wait for Guild Wars 2.

"Massive sieges" "mounted combat" and "spellweaving" are just few words that spring to mind when I hear the word AOC.... But the word FAILURE will always top the list.

• ScamManScamMan Member Posts: 148
    Originally posted by Scaredgirl

1. Gory action combat.
    4. PvP.

I find it very suspicious that you have created your account today claiming you are "new to AoC" and the first post you do is a thread about some fixed poll.

AoC has gore and character animations but pvp sucks big time. It's only ganking and zerging and gets boring really fast, trust me. Every hardcore pvp player I personally know has quit AoC after a couple of months.

The vote was legit so knock it off. #2 Game of the year.

Originally posted by ScamMan

The vote was ligit so knock it off. #2 Game of the year.

Funcom shills exploited the poll and voted multiple times. They even encouraged all AoC fanbois to do the same.

They changed the poll so that now you have to be registered to vote but they didn't reset the poll.

There has been threads about this subject. If you just look at the poll for 5 seconds you can see it's complete bs.

• JackdogJackdog Member UncommonPosts: 6,321

all this tells me was there is at least 2000 people still playing Conan.

Now FC can brag it has won something other than Disappointment of the Year, even if they did have to rig the vote by double voting and spamming please go vote for us in their forums. If they put half as much effort into actually improving their game as they do in viral advertising they might be able to keep subscribers past the free month.

~yawn~

I miss DAoC

• ScamManScamMan Member Posts: 148
    Originally posted by Jackdog

Now FC can brag it has won something other than Disappointment of the Year, even if they did have to rig the vote by double voting and spamming please go vote for us in their forums. If they put half as much effort into actually improving their game as they do in viral advertising they might be able to keep subscribers past the free month.
    ~yawn~

Hell the vote is nothing special. I remember I also saw AoC getting #2 for RPG of the year. Does it mean drop whatever you play right now, because AoC is so god damn good? No, but it is what it is. AoC was a decent game launched in 2008. Saying anything else is just too childish.

Gratz to Fallout 3 for #1!

• BearShammyBearShammy Member Posts: 240

Originally posted by Jackdog

~yawn~

Hell the vote is nothing special. I remember I also saw AoC getting #2 for RPG of the year. Does it mean drop whatever you play right now, because AoC is so god damn good? No, but it is what it is. AoC was a decent game launched in 2008. Saying anything else is just too childish.

Gratz to Fallout 3 for #1!

WTF you mean nothing special, this is Bigtime Special.

AoC getting   #2 Game of the Year 2008 by IGN.com

is like Gamespot, Gamezone, Gamestop, TentonHammer, WarCry, Massively, WOW, WAR, AoC and other gaming forums, all of those coming together to decide that Fallout 3 was best game of 2008, while AoC was a very good number 2 and Left4Dead number 3.  

• GiddianGiddian Member UncommonPosts: 418

Looking at that list of Games and the way they are ranked, It's a total joke.

Originally posted by BearShammy

is like Gamespot, Gamezone, Gamestop, TentonHammer, WarCry, Massively, WOW, WAR, AoC and other gaming forums, all of those coming together to decide that Fallout 3 was best game of 2008, while AoC was a very good number 2 and Left4Dead number 3.  

I would be interested to hearing the reasons for giving AoC the #2. Probably had something to do with "potential". Or then they just rolled the dice.

I would think a game should be a huge success to get a tittle of "Game of the Year 2008". AoC was not a success in any way.

- 90% of players quit

- Game Director was fired

- Stock went down 95%

etc.

etc.

AoC is more like the Biggest Failure of the Year 2008. They did everything wrong and almost everyone quit. Right now they have about 50-70k subs, about 10% of what they had at launch, and people are still quiting every day. Time will tell if they can ever turn it around and make it back to 100k+ subs.

• openedge1openedge1 Member Posts: 2,582

- 90% of players quit
    Could you please post your actual data and facts for this? I see... nothing to "prove" this evidence, except that it is your own opinion.

- Game Director was fired
    Actually, he quit due to how he made bad decisions, and felt he was the one ruining the game. After this happened, Craig Morrison took over, the same man who took Anarchy Online, their other title at Funcom, and turned it into an award winning MMO.
    Again, please get your facts straight.

- Stock went down 95%
    This is a fact, yet, you fail to point out how the economy has strapped so many other developers and game companies who also have exhibited huge losses. NCSoft was hurt so bad that they fired staff, shut down a game, and are now being sued.

etc.

etc.
    AoC is more like the Biggest Failure of the Year 2008.
    All biased opinion based on a bad launch, which I will agree with. But, unless you have played the game within the last 3 months, all of your information is conjecture.
    To the OP. The game has made leaps and bounds since it's inception, with new content, stability improvements and overall better performance and mechanics, including a PvP overhaul.
    2009 will see DX10 and new endgame content as well as a total revamp of the stats system to be more in line with other MMO's.
    Thanks to markdowns of the game for year end sales and 6 months of release, you would be smart to get in on the game now, with population starting to rise.
    The game is not perfect, and no MMO ever is, but at least AoC is future proofed engine wise, and tries to change the outlook of standard MMO's in regards to equipment and mechanics.
    No matter what your choice, good luck in your endeavor.
  • RohnRohn Member UncommonPosts: 3,730

1. Gory action combat.
    4. PvP.

The vote was legit so knock it off. #2 Game of the year.

The vote was anything but "legit".

They had to restrict the voting to registered users only because of individuals voting multiple times.  AoC players were encouraging this cheating on their own forum.

In essence, this not only invalidates this particular poll, but the other VE poll from a few weeks ago.

I think it says something when players feel they need to cheat in order to make their game look good.  If it really was that good, you wouldn't have to....

Hell hath no fury like an MMORPG player scorned.

• Soki123Soki123 Member RarePosts: 2,558

Rohn i see you in alot of AOC threads. Do you even have an active sub to the game and if not how long ago did you?

Originally posted by Soki123

Rohn i see you in alot of AOC threads. Do you even have an active sub to the game and if not how long ago did you?

Oh, great.. you are one of those "regular gamers" who are "new to the game" that we have been seeing here lately..

And I used my time to reply on your other thread.

Man, I wish there would be a way to get rid of these shills on mmorpg.com.

• Soki123Soki123 Member RarePosts: 2,558

Oh, great.. you are one of those "regular gamers" who are "new to the game" that we have been seeing here lately..

And I used my time to reply on your other thread.

Man, I wish there would be a way to get rid of these shills on mmorpg.com.

Lol, i m no shill. Just sick of every game having people bash it that don t play it. I have 3 games active atm, and dont see half the bashes people seem to imply are there and don t even play it.

• RohnRohn Member UncommonPosts: 3,730
    Originally posted by BearShammy

Assuming this is just ignorance, I'll add some truth to this post.

IGN.com did not award AoC #2 Game of the Year - the poll being referred to is on the Voodoo Extreme site which is just part of the IGN Network.

IGN.com itself selected Sins of a Solar Empire as the 2008 PC Game of the Year, with Fallout 3, GTA IV, Left 4 Dead, and Warhammer as the 4 other nominees.  AoC was not nominated in the category by IGN.com.

http://bestof.ign.com/2008/pc/22.html

Additionally, IGN.com selected Warhammer: Age of Reckoning as the 2008 Best Persistent World Game, though AoC was a nominee.

http://bestof.ign.com/2008/pc/5.html

Being #2 in the VE poll is not anything special, especially when considering the fact that the poll was tampered with by individuals voting as many times as they wanted.  Several AoC players encouraged that type of cheating, and gave instruction on how to do so on the AoC forum.

Hell hath no fury like an MMORPG player scorned.

• Deathstrike2Deathstrike2 Member UncommonPosts: 1,777

If you check out the AoC forums, you'll find that players were encouraging others to go vote multiple times in an attempt to artificially inflate the number of votes for the game. 

• Capn23Capn23 Member Posts: 1,529

Look. Don't listen to anyone on these forums. If the game interests you, buy it and try it out or wait for the trial coming in '09. All you'll get here is biased trolls and fanbois.

To be honest, I recently got the game and I'm loving it, despite all the supposed problems there are.

PvP in White Sands is pretty enjoyable. Ganking is not that terrible. The majority of the community are really fun people. You just get a few loud mouthed asshats. The best thing to do is just ignore Global Chat unless you are looking for a group. The PvE is really interesting and fun, albeit a bit repetitive, but the combat system is so interesting that I don't really feel the grind.

My suggestions, but take them with a grain of salt:

1. Bring some friends along for the ride

2. Don't take everything as a personal insult. Being able to laugh at yourself is crucial

3. Utilize the ignore option when needed =)

4. DON'T BE ANTISOCIAL! Seriously...get into a guild. Invite people to group with you if you see them doing the same quest. Making friends is crucial to having the most fun.

5. Avoid Global Chat and out-of-character drama.

Hope you try the game out =)

----------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Guys! I'm hopelessly lost in a mountain of mole hills! Them damn moles!

Originally posted by Capn23

Look. Don't listen to anyone on these forums.

I stopped reading after that. Thanks for the tip.

• AmazingAveryAmazingAvery Age of Conan AdvocateMember UncommonPosts: 7,188

Neither Rohn, Scaredgirl, Azrile, Unfinished, Elsabolts, and many more ppl that post here I believe have not subbed to the game since start of summer. They can only give you advice that is half a year out of date, that is the reality of the situation - you will notice they avoid topics on new content because they haven't got a leg to stand on in giving accurate info out, based on current personal experience coupled with limited time with the game back in many months prior. They simply just do not know what it is like. Some may say they "borrowed" a friends account to try out a month back, but really 2 hrs play experience is not what some people here are after. Some of those people have agenda's against FC from many years ago, so they were already skewed outlook. AoC was legitmately in this poll just like all those other games that were linked on their respective fan sites. Some people with detremental agenda's simple can not take this. Kings Bounty was linked on many Russian fan sites.

I suggest reading their post history to get a clear representation of their intent.

Originally posted by AmazingAvery

Neither Rohn, Scaredgirl, Azrile, Unfinished, Elsabolts, and many more ppl that post here I believe have not subbed to the game since start of summer. They can only give you advice that is half a year out of date, that is the reality of the situation - you will notice they avoid topics on new content because they haven't got a leg to stand on in giving accurate info out, based on current personal experience coupled with limited time with the game back in many months prior. They simply just do not know what it is like. Some may say they "borrowed" a friends account to try out a month back, but really 2 hrs play experience is not what some people here are after. Some of those people have agenda's against FC from many years ago, so they were already skewed outlook. AoC was legitmately in this poll just like all those other games that were linked on their respective fan sites. Some people with detremental agenda's simple can not take this. Kings Bounty was linked on many Russian fan sites.
    I suggest reading their post history to get a clear representation of their intent.

Who are you? The almighty king of this forum?

How do you know when I played last? For your information I bought CE and still have buddy keys left. I've been using them to check out the game every now and then. Also I've seen the "awesome" new high level content using my friends account.

I'm not avoiding any topic. What do you want to talk about?

This poll is a joke. You know it, I know it, and everyone else here knows it. Some people like yourself just try to make it a big deal so that people would resubscribe. That is really pathetic. Why not tell the truth for once?

• BearShammyBearShammy Member Posts: 240

Originally posted by AmazingAvery

Who are you? The almighty king of this forum?

How do you know when I played last? For your information I bought CE and still have buddy keys left. I've been using them to check out the game every now and then. Also I've seen the "awesome" new high level content using my friends account.

I'm not avoiding any topic. What do you want to talk about?

This poll is a joke. You know it, I know it, and everyone else here knows it. Some people like yourself just try to make it a big deal so that people would resubscribe. That is really pathetic. Why not tell the truth for once?

You would not just pull that out of your ass considdering you post like 100+ "I hate AoC posts pr day". lol, Another thing, explain us again how can you advice as an expert on a game you have not played. lol

• OpticaleyeOpticaleye Member Posts: 498

The vote was ligit so knock it off. #2 Game of the year.

Funcom shills exploited the poll and voted multiple times. They even encouraged all AoC fanbois to do the same.

They changed the poll so that now you have to be registered to vote but they didn't reset the poll.

There has been threads about this subject. If you just look at the poll for 5 seconds you can see it's complete bs.

Prove it.Specifically the exploit and the multiple voting.

You can say it all day long but until you prove it the accusation is worthless.Before you call me fanboi i have not played ANY mmo in over 6 months.

What is your physical limit?

• mackdawg19mackdawg19 Member UncommonPosts: 842

Scaredgirl really needs to stop posting. It's almost like you post just because your unhappy in life and you think people here need to be apart of your nonsense. The poll is fine. It's like every other poll out there. Sure some people are going to see the poll, see there is a game on the poll they love, and run into the respective areas to get others to vote. Every poll does this, so your basis about argueing should be for all polls, including ones where games you liked won. Which sadly I don't think you like anything, do you? Grats on the win AoC. Also, is there any new dx10 HD videos out there?