Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Ask your questions about AoC here!

Comments

• zspawnzspawn Member Posts: 410

I agree I find them great, I'm a fan of more realistic looking armor ( = something that would someone would wear) rather than electro-charged blue shoulders that look more like a Halloween costume :P

• BearShammyBearShammy Member Posts: 240
    Originally posted by zspawn

I agree I find them great, I'm a fan of more realistic looking armor ( = something that would someone would wear) rather than electro-charged blue shoulders that look more like a Halloween costume :P

I love itemization in AoC. OP, which armor sets do you find the best for both PvP and PvE? Also how are the bonuses on PvP armor folded into PvE play? 

• RedruumRedruum Member UncommonPosts: 314
    Originally posted by BearShammy

I love itemization in AoC. OP, which armor sets do you find the best for both PvP and PvE? Also how are the bonuses on PvP armor folded into PvE play? 

I will have to get some solid facts and links on this, but from my understanding PVP armor does nothing for PVE protection.  If you are going to PVP and you have PVP gear I would always wear that and fill in the slots you don't have with some good PVE gear that boosts health, stam, mana, etc.  On the flip side when we PVE raid we make sure everyone takes off their PVP gear.

Question:

I struggled my way to lvl 17 on Fury PvP server as a Conqueror. However past 2 days I didn't manage to do much cause of the constant ganking.

Whenever I enter an area where I can be attacked, I instantly am and killed by either rangers or assassins and the occasional barbarian.

I get it it's a world PvP server but isn't this a bit over the line ? 

I've been level 17 for the past 2 days total hours played is around 7 right now and it all ends up in frustration + alt-f4.

I am no carebear but I was wondering if it's always like that :P

• monothmonoth Member Posts: 551

Ya we all know a Male Guardian would wear a mini skirt and a crop top chest plate...  Totally realistic..  Hell even the semi macho crafted armor comes with a pink sash on it ....   Funcom needs to hire some artists with testastorne

• PeccaviPeccavi Member Posts: 53

so I have not heard much on this game from anyone really. But from what i read its a love hate thing. Was this an epic fail?

Question:

I struggled my way to lvl 17 on Fury PvP server as a Conqueror. However past 2 days I didn't manage to do much cause of the constant ganking.
    Whenever I enter an area where I can be attacked, I instantly am and killed by either rangers or assassins and the occasional barbarian.

I get it it's a world PvP server but isn't this a bit over the line ? 
    I've been level 17 for the past 2 days total hours played is around 7 right now and it all ends up in frustration + alt-f4.

I am no carebear but I was wondering if it's always like that :P

Have you done all of your night quests that you can do until it requies you to be level 19?  It seems some servers are worse then others when it comes to White Sands and the Underhalls.  Only advice I can give is finish all the night quests you can and all the quests in the non PVP area's you can and/or make some buddies or a guild that may be having he same problem.

Originally posted by monoth

Ya we all know a Male Guardian would wear a mini skirt and a crop top chest plate...  Totally realistic..  Hell even the semi macho crafted armor comes with a pink sash on it ....   Funcom needs to hire some artists with testastorne

Well also Roman legions wore something resembling skirts ? Same goes for Spartan and Athenian armies of ancient times :P

If Age of Conan is set in a similar timeline so to speak, I don't understand what kind of armor would you expect people to wear :P

Note that skirts = freedom of leg movement :D

I'm not  that deep in the game yet but from what I've equipped it looks quite on par with what i'd expect :P - But if you do have some proof of what you're saying i'd like to see some images cause I'm pretty far from endgame :D

-- Anyway and to answer to the previous post by Redruum:

No I actually haven't finished night quests and I am still lvl 17 - but I've done underhalls quests and white sands. I know ganking is really...really...annoying but I rolled a PvP server willingly. So what I did was make friends and kindly ask for help.

Let's just say a couple of people logged off in anger last night :D

Thing is no matter how annoyed I get (to the point of wanting to punch my laptop) if I take a 10 min break I find myself wanting to go back.

And there's something addicting about having to watch your back all the time :P

Well I'm still on my free month, I'm having fun, the server is packed, game runs smoother than I expected (honestly, I'm playing it at 1680x1050 on my laptop with a 8600GT).. 

Time will tell I guess :)

• AntiFearAntiFear Member Posts: 58

Age of Conan is the best MMO of 2008, hands down, and i highly doubt darkfall will be of conan qualitly, even thought ill definaltely be playing it.

• HalfliferHalflifer Member Posts: 19
    Originally posted by AntiFear

Age of Conan is the best MMO of 2008, hands down, and i highly doubt darkfall will be of conan qualitly, even thought ill definaltely be playing it.

I keep hearing this, then again AoC seem to have a very devoted hatecrowd. My questions are, what are the fans loving and what are the haters typically hating?

I think people are hating AoC (or any other newly released game for that matter) simply because it didn't drag them away from their current game (usually WoW).

Funny thing is, they were never willing to leave their game anyways (usually WoW).

That's what I believe from personal experience and also from what I see from real friends.

The only time people were open to new games is when they left WoW (in my case) without seeking a "rebound game". They just left cause they stopped liking it. 

I've seen people mocking LOTRO and me for playing it , even on a 14 day trial just to spam chats how lame the game is only to purchase a lifetime sub 2 months later.

What changed? WoW fanaticism in them had died and they weren't against a game simply for defending their own :P

I'm not a hater or a fanboy, I'm a gamer and what I post is what I see :)

• ScaredgirlScaredgirl Member Posts: 313

I think people are hating AoC (or any other newly released game for that matter) simply because it didn't drag them away from their current game (usually WoW).
    Funny thing is, they were never willing to leave their game anyways (usually WoW).
    That's what I believe from personal experience and also from what I see from real friends.
    The only time people were open to new games is when they left WoW (in my case) without seeking a "rebound game". They just left cause they stopped liking it. 
    I've seen people mocking LOTRO and me for playing it , even on a 14 day trial just to spam chats how lame the game is only to purchase a lifetime sub 2 months later.
    What changed? WoW fanaticism in them had died and they weren't against a game simply for defending their own :P

This is how regular gamers became AoC haters:

Time and money spent + bad game + Funcom lies = HATE

WoW is not the reason why people hate AoC. Funcom is the main reason why people hate AoC. When Funcom goes out of business and they sell AoC, thousands of people will probably return to the game.

WoW does however have an effect on people quiting AoC. 90% of original players quit Age of Conan and most of them probably went back to WoW. Why? Because they saw how bad AoC was and started to appreciate WoW again. Seeing AoC fail made them like WoW again.

It's really difficult to compete with WoW because it's so polished and they have the best programmers and management in the business.

Funcom has inexperienced programmers and probably the worst management in the business.

-----------------------------
    Originally posted by Frobner
    "Massive sieges" "mounted combat" and "spellweaving" are just few words that spring to mind when I hear the word AOC.... But the word FAILURE will always top the list.

Originally posted by Scaredgirl

WoW is not the reason why people hate AoC. Funcom is the main reason why people hate AoC. When Funcom goes out of business and they sell AoC, thousands of people will probably return to the game.

WoW does however have an effect on people quiting AoC. 90% of original players quit Age of Conan and most of them probably went back to WoW. Why? Because they saw how bad AoC was and started to appreciate WoW again. Seeing AoC fail made them like WoW again.

It's really difficult to compete with WoW because it's so polished and they have the best programmers and management in the business.

Funcom has inexperienced programmers and probably the worst management in the business.

So you got some kind of radar that tells you where's a possible thread to preach against Funcom ? 

You know tho, most people including myself don't care as long as they're having fun.

I bought a game, I enjoyed playing it, still do - Whatever I wanna do ingame right now works and it's fun.

When I stop having fun, I'll stop playing and paying. 

In the end of the day, what do you hope to achieve? 

You are to blame for your own hype tbh no matter what they have said, true or not.

So you mean Blizzard's designers really had a point putting spirit on the tier 0 dungeon set before TBC ? No they "failed". But 3 years later or so they can itemize better. Not perfect, maybe not even good for some classes (see druid feral gear) but they have improved.

Why not Funcom then ?

and I think that:

Time Spent trolling about game/posting hate about Funcom + still reading forums about it / not letting it go = Time spent that could be spent better 

I wonder if you get a car that breaks down all the time and you sell it and get a better one of a different brand, do you camp outside their showroom and yell at people / "reveal them the truth"  / spread the hate about them  whenever they even remotely consider buying one of their cars ? :P

• OriginalFormOriginalForm Member Posts: 31

Hmm trolls like WoW...

Guess that's no surprise.

• LughsanLughsan Member Posts: 312

For  you and some of the other haters perhaps this is true.  However, the Age of Conan forums are littered with re-subbing threads with "I couldn't get into wow again after having played this game" as the overall sentiment. 

Its difficult to compete with WoW because it is like McDonald's it is ubiqtious and everywhere... its not fancy food ..it runs on my cellphone.. and your grandma's cpu so the financially destitute can while away the hours on it for real value...

I wonder if you get a car that breaks down all the time and you sell it and get a better one of a different brand, do you camp outside their showroom and yell at people / "reveal them the truth"  / spread the hate about them  whenever they even remotely consider buying one of their cars ? :P

Of course I wouldn't be camping outside their showroom, just like I am not camping outside Funcom headquarters.

But I would tell ALL my friends how much that car SUCKED so they wouldn't do the same mistake as I did. You think I'm using all my time and energy in "hating funcom" but that's not the case. I'm just writing something now and then while I'm at work.

I see myself as a part of this mmorpg.com community. I have a right to express my opinion even if it differs from yours.

This forum is a good place for newbies to find a game that they will like. It's important for them to hear stories from both sides. If everyone only listened to fanbois, they would think AoC is the most amazing game ever, and we all know it's far from that.

You are having fun? I'm happy for you. However most people, about 90%, were NOT having fun and they QUIT. Even though AoC might be amazing to YOU, try to understand that most people just don't like the game.

"Massive sieges" "mounted combat" and "spellweaving" are just few words that spring to mind when I hear the word AOC.... But the word FAILURE will always top the list.

• silkwormsilkworm Member Posts: 163
    Originally posted by Lughsan

Its difficult to compete with WoW because it is like McDonald's it is ubiqtious and everywhere... its not fancy food ..it runs on my cellphone.. and your grandma's cpu so the financially destitute can while away the hours on it for real value...

This "argument" of yours is an insult to my intelligence. Please apologize.

• Soki123Soki123 Member RarePosts: 2,558

I have a question. If i like pvp and my wife likes to decide when we pvp, should i go to a pve server or a pvp server. Is there any pvp on a pve server outside mini games and the keep fights? In otherwords are there zones i can go to , to pvp outside of those 2 on a pve server?

Originally posted by Soki123

I have a question. If i like pvp and my wife likes to decide when we pvp, should i go to a pve server or a pvp server. Is there any pvp on a pve server outside mini games and the keep fights? In otherwords are there zones i can go to , to pvp outside of those 2 on a pve server?

For the love of God, go to a pve server.

Pvp servers are out of control gankfests full of griefers and other lowlifes. There's a lack of content so most people have nothing better to do than gank. On a pvp server your wife would be ganked by higher level "gank squads" so many times, it might lead into a divorce.

Minigames are a good way to get some non-zerg pvp action but unfortunately it might take hours before a game starts. For some reason minigames are not that popular.

• Capn23Capn23 Member Posts: 1,529

Pvp servers are out of control gankfests full of griefers and other lowlifes. There's a lack of content so most people have nothing better to do than gank. On a pvp server your wife would be ganked by higher level "gank squads" so many times, it might lead into a divorce.

Minigames are a good way to get some non-zerg pvp action but unfortunately it might take hours before a game starts. For some reason minigames are not that popular.

Scared is being a bit overly dramatic, but I agree. If you perfer planned PvP then I suggest a PvE server.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Guys! I'm hopelessly lost in a mountain of mole hills! Them damn moles!

• monothmonoth Member Posts: 551

Originally posted by monoth

Well also Roman legions wore something resembling skirts ? Same goes for Spartan and Athenian armies of ancient times :P

If Age of Conan is set in a similar timeline so to speak, I don't understand what kind of armor would you expect people to wear :P

Note that skirts = freedom of leg movement :D

I'm not  that deep in the game yet but from what I've equipped it looks quite on par with what i'd expect :P - But if you do have some proof of what you're saying i'd like to see some images cause I'm pretty far from endgame :D

The Romans wore skirts that at least went down to there knees, the Guardian's Dungeon Armor Sets are mini skirts that are half that size.  The non raid set is only a thong with some thigh pads.  Yet the lower end Plate armor actually has pants (crafted set to)...  So I don't know why they couldnt keep that design in the higher end raid sets also.

If you want to see the various armor sets you can search the AOC forums, theres lots of pictures in there.

There are some cool sets tho, the Conqueror Set is pretty cool looking and covers more of the body, something you would think a Guardian would have since he's the tank in the game.

That aside the game is ok...   It's one of those MMO's where the majority will have a lot of fun playing for a few months, then once you hit lvl 80 you see there's really no end content except a few Raid Dungeons which are tough to do because of the low population on the various servers.  Even Battle Keep Sieges are rare because of this.

If Funcom doesnt get these server merges to go smooth, it could be the nail in the coffin for AOC.  Well maybe not the final nail, but the game will be reduced to only the most hardcore AOC fans.  Figure around 100k players max..

For me when a MMO doesnt have a deep crafting system, player ran economy, player ran cities and social tools to keep people RP'ing then the game is basicaly a adventure game like Oblivion that has a beginning and end.   Once you do the quest content the game is basically over.

• xpiherxpiher Member UncommonPosts: 3,310
    Originally posted by Halflifer

Originally posted by AntiFear

I keep hearing this, then again AoC seem to have a very devoted hatecrowd. My questions are, what are the fans loving and what are the haters typically hating?

Typically the haters believe they were robbed of money because some features weren't in at launch, mainly DX10, which was suppose to be a launch feature, but is just going through public testing now. The reason people are really upset about this is because many built new computers just to play AoC on DX10. I would be a little POed too had I done this, but then again, if someone need to upgrade their PC to play AoC with DX10, then you probably needed a new PC to play any new game that is coming out or released  now (Crysis Warhead, Fallout 3, LoTR DX10, ect).

Another reason is that FC said the PvP system that is currently in game (Murder system and pvp lvls) would be out by the end of july, didn't come out until septemeber. Drunken Brawling, obsence emotes removeal, tone down  of M rated content (state side only as  far as I know), mercanary system and a few other things that were talked about that never made it into the game but were promted heavily also made peopel feel they were lied to. This is why people tend to hate FC.

Others don't see the combat system as being any different, that the quest are repetive (hello MMORPG duh :D ), the instanced/zoned world, lack of PvP titles or meaning other than Sieging, andimbalanced PvP (IMO PvP is nearly balanced and just needs some tweeking) turned people off as well. Oh and the bugs that come with every newly launched game, but AoC tended to have more and introduced new bugs with most major patches (some of this was caused by currupted download of the update, happens with files of 2gigs). However, FC did manage to fix the majority of the bugs fairly quickly and made the game nearly perfectly stable in the course of 4.5 months (I think the lag was fixed in Oct but  I don't remember).

Now the people who love the game are mainly people who have been through this before, the MMO vertern. Some people also love the active combat in this game, the fact that gear isn't improtant in this game which is breath in fresh air for most PvPers (skill>gear), and the FFA style of PvP deviod of factions. Sieging is another fav of the AoC community. AoC also has a verity of intresting boss battles  which aren't the tank and spank verity.

Edit :To the person asking if the entire game is as ganktastic as White Sands (WS) I would say no. Even at launch when ganking was prevelant due to the number of people on each server, it was pretty easy to get away from due to multiable instances of the same zone, and the fact that each zone was huge. In most places, once you leave the central quest giving/res area, you are pretty much free to go about your biz.

Games:
    Currently playing:Nothing
    Will play: Darkfall: Unholy Wars
    Past games:
    Guild Wars 2 - Xpiher Duminous
    Xpiher's GW2
    GW 1 - Xpiher Duminous
    Darkfall - Xpiher Duminous (NA) retired
    AoC - Xpiher (Tyranny) retired
    Warhammer - Xpiher

• xpiherxpiher Member UncommonPosts: 3,310
    Originally posted by Capn23

Scared is being a bit overly dramatic, but I agree. If you perfer planned PvP then I suggest a PvE server.

You and your wife should both play at the same time, join a guild before creating a character, and roll on a PvP sever. PvP does happen on PvE server, but its so spruse that its not worth it. The only place on most PvE servers to get some PvP in are in mini games. Now, this will probably change with the introduction of PvP resouces to build up Battle Keeps, but that might not be in game for another 2months.

Scaredgirl obviously has not played at least since septemeber. Since the introduction of PvP exp, most of the lvl 80s PvP each other or dule to get PvP exp. Ganking does happen, but its no longer just grifing that it was in august (even then it wasn't that bad), unless you count somone 5-7 levels higher than you a grifer/ganker. Hell, the infamous grife squad HOGG quit the game.

White sands, maybe noble district, and tesso , at least on my server (tyranny), are the only spots that ganking happens in the lower levels often enough for it to be annoying  and these areas generally have enough people in them to open an additional zone which is should be devoid of grifers/gankers.

Games:
    Currently playing:Nothing
    Will play: Darkfall: Unholy Wars
    Past games:
    Guild Wars 2 - Xpiher Duminous
    Xpiher's GW2
    GW 1 - Xpiher Duminous
    Darkfall - Xpiher Duminous (NA) retired
    AoC - Xpiher (Tyranny) retired
    Warhammer - Xpiher

• BearShammyBearShammy Member Posts: 240
    Originally posted by xpiher

Originally posted by Capn23

You and your wife should both play at the same time, join a guild before creating a character, and roll on a PvP sever. PvP does happen on PvE server, but its so spruse that its not worth it. The only place on most PvE servers to get some PvP in are in mini games. Now, this will probably change with the introduction of PvP resouces to build up Battle Keeps, but that might not be in game for another 2months.

Scaredgirl obviously has not played at least since septemeber. Since the introduction of PvP exp, most of the lvl 80s PvP each other or dule to get PvP exp. Ganking does happen, but its no longer just grifing that it was in august (even then it wasn't that bad), unless you count somone 5-7 levels higher than you a grifer/ganker. Hell, the infamous grife squad HOGG quit the game.

White sands, maybe noble district, and tesso , at least on my server (tyranny), are the only spots that ganking happens in the lower levels often enough for it to be annoying  and these areas generally have enough people in them to open an additional zone which is should be devoid of grifers/gankers.

Well Xphier has a few points, but he is not able to get them across very well. Let me reiterate what all of us AoC players know. There are AoC haters that hate AoC for instancing and for the Dx10 thing. Then again there are many AoC lovers that love AoC for all the innovative new content, like the kick ass combat, graphics, immersion, animation, PvP, Sieges and so on... Finally there is also a special hater with some kind of illness posting on this forum (see above). He can easily produce like +100 hate posts pr day, and he have not even played the game. Thats pretty much all there is to it.

Feel free to ask any questions you may have.  I will answer them all honestly and as accurate as I can.

Thanks!