Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

The Gothic Series and The Witcher

ArndurArndur Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 2,202

So Ive been in Dallas this weekend enjoying my time back in the big city(stuck in the panhandel atm) and one of my stops was frys. Among the games I glanced at was Gothic 3. Sitting next to it was a box that contained all 3 gothics. Im looking for another open ended RPG to play when I get burned out on my fps and mmo games(FO3 and ES4:O have already gotten a lot of play time) and Ive heard this one takled about a lot on this site when people ask for rpgs, weather it be 1 2 or 3 suggested. Now Im wondering just how is this game, how much freedom is there? And if its worth it to pay $30 for the first 3 or grab the CE of 3 which comes with the new x-pac?

EDIT

So anyways while looking around I came across this game. What are yalls experiences with this game and for those that have played both would you recommened it over the Gothic series?

Hold on Snow Leopard, imma let you finish, but Windows had one of the best operating systems of all time.

If the Powerball lottery was like Lotro, nobody would win for 2 years, and then everyone in Nebraska would win on the same day.
And then Nebraska would get nerfed.-pinkwood lotro fourms

AMD 4800 2.4ghz-3GB RAM 533mhz-EVGA 9500GT 512mb-320gb HD

Comments

• GameloadingGameloading Member UncommonPosts: 14,182

I'm afraid I can't tell you what the game is like, What I can tell you is that the series has a very good reputation among RPG fans and it's probably worth picking up. I suggest you check out a few reviews to see if it's your kind of game.

• ReklawReklaw Member UncommonPosts: 6,495

Only got experience with Gothic 3 and unfortunately it has been a bad experience, I was confronted with bug after bug, crashes, quest that didn't follow-up while they should have and so much more issue's, but I have heard by now they have fixed most of the issue's, but I haven't touched the game since. Might give it another try though, since I didn't like The Witcher when I bought it at release but the Enhanced Edition made the game very good to me. Gothic also got that Oblivion fibe to it and must admit it had feature's and visuals which could have made a great game, so I am almost sure to install it again andhopefully the issues I had might be resolved.

The Witcher  Enhanced Edition" In a way I see it as a AoC off-line except there is no RVR/PvP, I kinda have the feeling AoC/Funcom took and is taking many feature's I see/saw in The Witcher. Especially Tortage in AoC reminds me allot of The Witcher.

One a side note, anyone seen Hellboy 2, Prince Nuada  = The Witcher  

• Rayx0rRayx0r Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 2,902

I havnt played the witcher, but Ive played Gothic.  I know you'll enjoy it if you're looking for open ended and non-linear.  The only problem I had with it is that it seems so much like a sandbox MMO its upsetting to think there really isnt anything like this in the MMO world.  The quests, the skill training, the AI behavior of NPC's all scream MMO.  I have to admit though, there are times where you do feel like your grinding an MMO also.

The storylines are written out very well, some of the voice overs are annoying.  Its no Mass Effect by a long shot, but if you're a fan of RPG's im really surprised you havnt played Gothic by now

“"If you want a picture of the future, imagine a robot foot stomping on a human face -- forever."
  • LanmoragonLanmoragon Member Posts: 994

Gothic 3 was pretty damn fun to me...except like many others I had to deal with the many bugs, many of them dealing with crashes, buggy combat, etc that almost ruin the game.  The atmosphere and story are pretty neat though.

• AelfinnAelfinn Member Posts: 3,857

Gothic 3 was very fun to play but "unstable" doesn't even begin to describe it.

The Witcher was well designed, and based upon a good concept, but the execution was off. Combat and replayability value are both lacking here. Note: At least as far as combat goes, the system is much more suited to a controller than a keyboard, the upcoming console version may be worth waiting for.

No man is an island, entire of itself; every man is a piece of the continent, a part of the main. any man's death diminishes me, because I am involved in mankind, and therefore never send to know for whom the bell tolls; it tolls for thee.
    Hemingway

• ArndurArndur Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 2,202

Ok so Gothic is really buggy and The Witcher is better suited for a controller(which I guess is better for me on my console) What other RPGs could yall recommend?

Hold on Snow Leopard, imma let you finish, but Windows had one of the best operating systems of all time.

If the Powerball lottery was like Lotro, nobody would win for 2 years, and then everyone in Nebraska would win on the same day.
    And then Nebraska would get nerfed.-pinkwood lotro fourms

AMD 4800 2.4ghz-3GB RAM 533mhz-EVGA 9500GT 512mb-320gb HD

Originally posted by Arndur

Ok so Gothic is really buggy and The Witcher is better suited for a controller(which I guess is better for me on my console) What other RPGs could yall recommend?

The witcher and Gothic are available for the console?  360 I take it?  I didnt know that, and I was looking for a new console rpg

“"If you want a picture of the future, imagine a robot foot stomping on a human face -- forever."
  • GameloadingGameloading Member UncommonPosts: 14,182
    Originally posted by Rayx0r

Originally posted by Arndur

The witcher and Gothic are available for the console?  360 I take it?  I didnt know that, and I was looking for a new console rpg

I haven't heard anything about Gothic for consoles, but the Witcher is currently in development for consoles with improved graphics and combat, for both the 360 and PS3.

• runeofmagicruneofmagic Member Posts: 16

The best gothic was gothic 2 night of the raven.This game is better than oblivion IMO. If you like a steep learning curve and sandbox style then this game is number one. If it was made by an american dev team it would have the same following as oblivion and morrowind but because european it didn`t get the same kind of love as the two mentioned.

Gothic 3 was a let down to many gothic fans. Gothic 4 is on it`s way though.

Arcania       www.youtube.com/watch  this is an sneak view but not by the devs doing so things might change.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gothic_II

• ZorvanZorvan Member CommonPosts: 8,912
    Originally posted by runeofmagic

The best gothic was gothic 2 night of the raven.This game is better than oblivion IMO. If you like a steep learning curve and sandbox style then this game is number one. If it was made by an american dev team it would have the same following as oblivion and morrowind but because european it didn`t get the same kind of love as the two mentioned.

Gothic 3 was a let down to many gothic fans. Gothic 4 is on it`s way though.
    Arcania       www.youtube.com/watch  this is an sneak view but not by the devs doing so things might change.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gothic_II

The only steep learning curve in any of the Gothic games were the controls, all apparently designed by a madman drinking Draino and snorting asbestos. Unless ytou also count the "learning" of enough patience to not stick the games in a box filled with dogshit and mailing it to the devs for Christmas.

• runeofmagicruneofmagic Member Posts: 16

Yes the controls were hard to get used to but once you did,it worked fine. As for sticking the gothic series in a box full of shit, you are the one talking shit and many would agree.

• KorbyKorby Member Posts: 499

The Witcher: Enhanced Edition is the best RPG I've played to date.

It has everything:

Good graphics

Exciting Gameplay

Storyline w/ Cutscenes

Fast-Paced Battles

etc.

• SheistaSheista Member UncommonPosts: 1,203

The Witcher was highly overrated, IMO.  Played it for a bit, on a high end system.. the visuals left something to be desired, and the gameplay was stiff.  In addition, the UI was pretty clunky.

It was decently fun, but I lost interest very fast.

To each their own I guess.

I definitely wanted to check the Witcher out, but for some reason I assumed it would be a bit too linear for my single player RPG taste.  I just drew this conclusion based off that the game was created from an already existing series of books.  I assumed you took the role of the books protaganist as well and possibly followed existing storylines.

• ZorvanZorvan Member CommonPosts: 8,912
    Originally posted by runeofmagic

Yes the controls were hard to get used to but once you did,it worked fine. As for sticking the gothic series in a box full of shit, you are the one talking shit and many would agree.

When the two of them get here, let me know.

• VagelispVagelisp Member UncommonPosts: 448

Two worlds demo:

http://www.2-worlds.com/demo.php?l=en

A bit strange interface but at least it has my favourite "diablo like" inventory and many other "goodies" including multiplayer.

As for Gothic 3 vs the wtcher i'd recommend the witcher. Even with the latest patch gothic 3 will break your nerves with slow quicksaves/ quickloads and a lousy combat system. Gothic 3 has great concept with bad implementation imo.