Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

EQ II vs vanguard

2»

Comments

• fozzie22fozzie22 Member Posts: 1,003
    Originally posted by VultureSkull

Originally posted by fozzie22

VG was and always will be a amassive missed opetunerty sadly it could have been a contender..but we all know what happened with it

Logged back in and as i say everytime i do i see improvements,last night was the first time since septemeber and you can the dev team have been at work..sadly though it all seems to little to late

Why is it to late? VG is only two years old, rather young for an MMO.

It has a high std of graphics so that will last a few more years. The game play (combat, Crafting and Dip) has generally more than what other games are offering.

And with the Trial of the Isle the game will attract a lot more people.

Its to late becuase sadly its dead in the water..theres nobdy there i logged on for a about 2 hours and saw but a handful of players

The public wont forget how bad it was back when it came out,simple as that..i would add its a shame becuase the dev team have worked wonders with it,but theres still a hell of a long way to go yet

• John.A.ZoidJohn.A.Zoid Member Posts: 1,531

Vanguard just isn't interesting.

You play WoW and you get Arthas and all the amazing Warcraft lore.

You Play Vanguard and you get the atmosphere of a retirement home.

• EkibiogamiEkibiogami Member UncommonPosts: 2,154
    Originally posted by John.A.Zoid

Dont read any quests or fallow the Diplo quests do you?

Vanguard has Great back storry if you look for it. (Even if the devs are dooing their best to butcher it)

If ye love wealth greater than liberty, the tranquility of servitude; greater than the animating contest for freedom, go home from us in peace. We seek not your counsel, nor your arms. Crouch down and lick the hand that feeds you; May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.
    —Samuel Adams

• ursinursin Member Posts: 148
    Originally posted by Ekibiogami

>>>>>>Dont read any quests or fallow the Diplo quests do you?<<<<<<<

Vanguard has Great back storry if you look for it. (Even if the devs are dooing their best to butcher it)

as has been said by many others before me regarding many other things hehehe

QFT

"We aren't going to ... Period. End of statement."

ya. ok. whatever.

but what do i know, i'm only a vanbois i'm told.

• John.A.ZoidJohn.A.Zoid Member Posts: 1,531

I stand by what I said Vanguard is uninteresting and thats why noone plays it. The graphics of the game being so bland that they are with a boring dead world and the worst character models ever made are also big turn offs. Then you look at the ugly armour, the poor animations and spell effects and thats another turn off.

Id there lore is so great why don't they create cinematic videos like with WoW and why don't they make trailers introducing the story of new content like with WoW? They don't because it isn't anywhere near as good as the story Blizzard can create.

I logged in to an empty world with the standard boring quests and did all them and moved to the next area and did them and then the next area and theres no real fun lore or instances for me to do like I remember with Westfall and The Dead Mines in WoW.

I'd never thought I would see the day when a mmorpg got released that was more generic than EQ2 but Vanguard is the winner.

• The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • SonikFlashSonikFlash Member UncommonPosts: 561

you've got that right mate.  EQ2 was interesting at first.  But lets face it its not EQ it doesnt feel like EQ.  It's like yahtzee says in a review its like someone walked into your home killed your mom and is wearing her face hoping you dont recognize it.

Vanguard has a beauty and majesty to it that will sadly go unnoticed by people to stuck up on graphics of which vanguards are fine and still good by todays standards.  The gameplay mechanics in VG still far outclass any MMO to date.

• KraptorKraptor Member Posts: 359

Ive played both EQ2 and Vanguard, played EQ2 a lot more. I woul have to say that EQ2 is more of a whole/finished game that feels as a complete and working game on the other hand Vanguard still feels that it is not finished and not always working as it supposed to work.

Eq2 is more casual I would say, while Vanguard is more "hardcore." I gave Vanguard another go with this new free game-time and while there are still lots of bugs and odd-things they managed to solve most of the major problems and the game is playable now. The world in Vanguard is really nice though that will only for a limited time then it will become boring. Also most os the classes play a lot differently in Vanguard then they do in EQ2. My main in Vanguard was a Necro and I didnt enjoy playing at all in VG so I rerolled a Dredknigth and man it is a blast to play with it. For me right now Vanguard gave something "new" so I would suggest VG over EQ2.

If you are looking for more ppk and a more finished product then I would say EQ2 is the way to go. VG is for you if you prefer more rpg and like to be inchar a lot of times.

• Ubel12Ubel12 Member UncommonPosts: 153

I have also played both, with EQ 2 having more of my play time than Vanguard. EQ2 feels right to play, looks great even today, and is always adding more contient. But I call it Everzone, because by God, every where you go you have to ZONE into a new pocket of existance. On the other hand, Vanguard is like an almost beautifully polished jew on one side, but the other side of the jewel is flawed and irregular. Flying through the world you see beautiful things that pass underneath you, bright colourful tress, cyrstals the jut beautifully from the ground, and your Wyvern's wings as they beat through the air. After your flight, you land on the ground near a huge city that must be bursting at the seams with life. You run excitedly towards the city, full tilt you go until... You computer freezes for a second, and then another, and another. Graphics fill in all around you..And then all the immersion you felt from flying to running into the city are lost.

Anyway, Vanguard has potential. A vast world to run across ( with no ZONES attached ), Boats, and ships to command, and mounts to ride on AND fly on. I want this game to work. I want Vanguard to be what we all want it to be. But alas, it is about 50 million miles from where it should be. On all our computers. Because it is still unplayable on most of our computers...

Merry Christmas all, and a happy New Year!

• nobodycoolnobodycool Member UncommonPosts: 82

Well......like a lot of posters on this thread I have played both Vanguard and Everquest II. I am currently subbed to Vanguard though after canceling my EQII account. It had nothing to do with the MT crap, of which I am neutral. I think the common consensus here is that, EQ II is more polished while Vanguard has more potential to satisfy those long dormant thrills that a lot of us found in our early gaming days. I personally am enjoying Vanguard a great deal. The depth, the diversity, the seemingly limitless things to do. It suits my gaming personality, and I do understand it may not suit everyone. The population is actually quite strong for a fringe game. I never have problems grouping or finding people to run around with and if I do, I can simply go craft in a system that is actually enjoyable and worthwhile, or I can do some diplomacy and learn about the lore of Vanguard.

With that being said, I , like most people, do experience a great deal of graphic hitching and general ghost bugs and other annoying crap. The little known /flush command is my friend and clears up nearly any problems I have though and I am back to this fun and immersive game in no time.

I guess the point is, if you have the patience to deal with a few minor graphic bugs and enjoy a very deep, complex and fresh game then jump into Vanguard. On the other hand, if you want a nearly bug free with a great deal to offer in the way of fun but seemingly limited in depth, freshness and immersion(at least in my opinion) then go ahead with EQII. I think either way you are really going to enjoy yourself if you take the games as they are, games. Read the quest dialog. Let yourself get into the game and don't rush from level to level. Learn your character. Let it be fun instead of trying to make it fun. It really makes all the difference. And if it's not fun then go do something else. Good luck!

• WSIMikeWSIMike Member Posts: 5,564
    Originally posted by ghettobooste

I've always thought VG was a better game than EQ2, the problem with Vanguard is there is little to no work being done on it compared to EQ2.  EQ2 gets new expansions every 8 months or so and VG gets jack squat.

That's the SOE way.. Buy a game that has great potential, fix only the worst issues and then set the heater on "warm" and let it cruise along on minimal support.

To their credit, they did do quite a lot in terms of improving VG - at least in terms of performance and even some of the content. EQ2 is "their baby", so that's probably why it gets more love; VG, MxO and others that they've acquired from other companies are more like red-headed stepchildren.

As for Antonia Bayle being the best server now for EQ2... I imagine the RP nazis must have settled down by now then? A couple years back when I tried playing on there I couldn't stand it. The guilds I'd join would go from extreme to absurd. The last guild I was a member of before giving up on AB and moving to Nektulos was one where every single word you spoke in game - including personal /tells to other guild members - had to be in character.

I tried to ask the leader a question in tell and he insisted that I ask him in character. I said "this has nothing to do with the game..." He said "Doesn't matter. This is a RP guild on a RP server.. If you're a good role-player, you should be able to stay in character no matter what. If you don't have the imagination to RP well, then this isn't the right guild for you"

I said "You know, that last bit about the guild is the one thing I can actually agree with you on... Later" and I dropped out.

I then gave up on AB and started on Nektulos, where I stayed up until the last time I played.

Would be nice if the RP nazi-ism has toned down. I had a great character on there.. if I were ever to go back to EQ2, might be cool to play them again.

"If you just step away for a sec you will clearly see all the pot holes in the road,
    and the cash shop selling asphalt..."
    - Mimzel on F2P/Cash Shops

• HricaHrica Member UncommonPosts: 1,129

EQ2 100 times over

VG is ..well junk, try the trial and see for yourself

• nobodycoolnobodycool Member UncommonPosts: 82

I stand by what I said Vanguard is uninteresting and thats why noone plays it. The graphics of the game being so bland that they are with a boring dead world and the worst character models ever made are also big turn offs. Then you look at the ugly armour, the poor animations and spell effects and thats another turn off.

Id there lore is so great why don't they create cinematic videos like with WoW and why don't they make trailers introducing the story of new content like with WoW? They don't because it isn't anywhere near as good as the story Blizzard can create.

I logged in to an empty world with the standard boring quests and did all them and moved to the next area and did them and then the next area and theres no real fun lore or instances for me to do like I remember with Westfall and The Dead Mines in WoW.

I'd never thought I would see the day when a mmorpg got released that was more generic than EQ2 but Vanguard is the winner.

I believe it is obvious from your posts that you are an enormous fan of WoW and everything they do. If that is what you like that is no problem for me. I just think you have to realize that there are other gamers out there that desire other things in a game. I personally find WoW inanely boring and repetitive with no real interested or connected community. Everyone looks the same, has the same build. It just seems so conformist. Now this is just my opinion. I am certain that 11.5 million people feel much differently. I believe there is something big that I think people miss when looking at mass produced products and the consumers who by them, they are typically geared towards the lowest common denominator and the status quo. The products are generic and bland. They serve to satisfty the most people without ever completely satisfying anyone.This is to say that, while McDonald's serves a shitload of hamburgers everyday I can say, beyond a shadow of a doubt, I would never eat there and if I wanted a good homecooked burger I would go down to the local restaraunt that serves far less people but has much better food. They don't try to act like McDonald's. They don't want to and for that I am grateful. *shrug* Once again. This is just my opinion. I know lots of people who swear by McDonald's. Much to the benefit of the anti-diarehha industry.

So with that being said, the reason Vanguard doesn't do the things that WoW does is because Vanguard is not WoW. Simple as that. It is one of the only games out there not trying to be WoW. I like that. You don't have to but I do and I can honestly say that there are a lot of other people that do as well. But to say that Vanguard is not good because it doesn't do the things that WoW does is just small minded. Not every game has to copy another game in order to be interesting or deep.