Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Guild Wars vs. Wow

As much as wow and eq2 have butted heads and degenerated into aimless flamefests. i would like to compare the two upcoming games that have caught my attention.

first the strong points of guild wars:

pvp based, hit the end game early and get to the good stuff fast. besides, the game shouldnt revolve around a warrior tricking a mob into soaking up damage while a cleric heals and everyone else helps in their own buff/mez/nuke way. it was neat back in eq1, it shouldnt be a template for every subsequent game. take a look at the durations, most are 8-20 seconds,a few are a minute at most. all of a suddent time management is a factor, every battle is determined not by grinding for uber items but how much effort you out into the battle. im gonna have to see how it goes this weekend with the world event thing. maybe there have been others to try this and maybe they failed

no monthly charges. sure, at first some people are repulsed by this because of the likely torrent of immature players that would swamp the game and that there will be expansions released every so often so you dont even save that much money. but look beyond that, you can stop whenever you want and come back when ever you want. you dont have to sign up for a year to get a good rate when you have only played for a week or two. you dont have to deal with battling their billing agency. most importantly you dont have to buy the expansion. what this means is there will be a huge amount of players that are willing to try 2 or 3 of these new games, even if they fall in love with another game they can always come back to guildwars on a whim.

instancing everying let them have EVERYONE on 1 server. well yeah sure when you look more closely the koreans are cut off from the us and such but still a very good thing that there arent two dozen seperate servers scattered about.

strong points for world of warcraft (and no. im not going to go into why I like wow over eq2, i just do)

everything, duh. every fanboi knows that.

really though, blizzard has done as it always does: asses a genre, spend a few years making their own version of it and then spend another few years polishing it. a pinch of faction vs faction combat, a twist of auction system (very important), a dab of farming on a slab of vintage tank/heal/mez/buff/nuke is some mighty good mmog, mmmhmm.

now to run them head to head

guild wars doesnt have much of an item chase, its a mixed blessing really. to de-emphasize the need to farm, the best items are only marginally better than the worst which will make those slight improvements very expensive. (those of you who played mtg during tempest know of the madness that i speak. it goes by the name japanese cursed scroll) this will let new players get in faster but could shorten the game life. it all depends on the expansions.

if i have a hankerin for power trading then i would have to go with wow here. 2 trade skills max is gonna force you to trade, considering that theres damn near 6 skills involved in enchanting something that you just engineered.

then again if you dont want to spend a year "playing" the game before you can Play the game proper, then maybe guild wars has it right. if in the end game there are only 2 or 3 viable options for your char then what is the point of having all of that extra junk lying around?

now oddly enough both games have Exactly 25 choices for base char templates, great graphics, great sound, 3+ skill trees within each char subset, rage/adrenaline, mana burn , creature taming, undead raising, claim fluid behind the scenes updates (no patch days!!!) etc etc etc in short they are both going to be great games. im sure i forgot something, oh well im sure ill think of it after im flamed a dozen times.

Comments

• TheelyTheely Member UncommonPosts: 430

I like Guild Wars over WoW and its not even for the free monthly payment thing, its the concept of the game. Its a little different and not as much of a cookiecutter like WoW is. I'm excited for the World Preview ::::02::

---------------------------------------
    These are just my opinions, please direct your opinions of my opinions to your mama, not me and the other readers.
    ---------------------------------------
    Win XP Pro
    AMD Athlon 64 3200+
    1600 Mhz FSB
    1 Gig PC3200 DDR400 RAM
    160 Gig Ultra ATA HD
    GeForce FX5700 256MB AGP
    SoundBlaster Live 5.1
    8X DVD+/-RW

• ianubisiianubisi Member Posts: 4,201

Playing a game vs. not playing a game.

That's about the only "versus" scenario that really interests me.

• SufinsilSufinsil Member Posts: 38

Two different concepts, dumb to compare.

Both will be fun. The End.

• CIM_LWCIM_LW Member Posts: 282

Guild Wars is not a true MMORPG, so comparing it to existing or upcoming MMORPGs would be senseless. It's merely an RPG with borrowed elements of a MMORPG.

I don't know why some of you ppl. just can't play games and have fun, instead of stupidly comparing them to no end. image

• OrccOrcc Member Posts: 3,043

Why do you people keep saying Guild Wars isnt a true MMORPG. Can someone please tell me what the definition of MMORPG is, because the lsat time i check it was Massively Multiplayer Online Role Playing Game. So lets run down Guildwars check list...

Massive - Yes, it incorporates a large number of players onto a number of servers (i dont know how many)

Multiplayer - Check

Online - Check

RPG - Check

There you go. Just because it doesnt have crafting or those other fillers that new MMORPGs are trying to jam in doesnt make it any less a MMORPG than EQ2, WoW, UO, DnL., etc...

::::35::

Anyways... really, give it a rest with the EQ2 v5 WoW!!1 or WoW V3r5uS EQ... no one really cares and its not going to end up any different than any of the other VS threads,.

• ferilmasterferilmaster Member Posts: 177

From my point of view, GW looks to be a cross between an fps and an mmorpg, since they share quite a bit of similar qualities.  Having a large emphasis on pvp; which is very skill based, teleportation to areas;saving you time, etc...  It's also free, which can save you money.  A well done quest system, that doesn't feel repetitive.

WoW is a classic mmorpg, having a pretty large emphasis on pvp, comparatively it has a larger amount of land, a guiding quest system which has multiple choices of rewards,  the past lore of three warcraft games, and two expansions.  It has a wonderful feel to it, which is shown through it's creative and colorful art in my opinion.

Being free, guild wars will probably have a bit of kids roaming around;which would be annoying, instant teleportation to most areas removes traveling; which isn't very immersive, since this game will probably have kids in it, and since it's pvp is a very large part of it, they might annoy someone, possibly doing a taunt after they killed you etc...

Many people believe World of Warcraft will have plenty of kids; which is true in my opinion, but there numbers will probably drop quickly over time for various reasons, the graphics aren't very realistic;which can be immersive breaking for some people, World of Warcraft's leveling speed is too fast for some people; making you stay with the game for less time.

You have two and a half paragraphs describing how good guild wars is, and one half of a paragraph how good World of Warcraft is.  Next time, try and be a bit more informative about that, then you might earn consideration. 

And please, try and use good grammer and spelling, all you have to do is use the spell-check, if you don't have english as your main language, it's understandable.

------------------
    Alliance Chars:
    ~Drakthol, Destromath PVP server
    Level 52 Dwarf Hunter

Horde Chars:
    ~Foorinore, Archimonde PVP server
    Level 11 troll priest

Drakthol

How can WoW be a classic when it hasnt even been released yet? Unless you mean because its ripping off the ideas of classic MMORPGs. Also eveyrthing ive read about WoW suggests the quests are just fancied up fedex quests. Albeit, I love Warcraft and I love the style of this game... Ill give the open beta a whirl and see how it goes, at this point, im only really waiting on HL2 otherwise im kinda out of games right now and i wouldnt mind a new MMORPG. Otherwise, im not excited about WoW in the least.

• FinweFinwe Member CommonPosts: 3,106

Originally posted by ferilmaster

and since it's pvp is a very large part of it, they might annoy someone, possibly doing a taunt after they killed you etc...

I believe that another 3 day test will be coming out for Guild Wars on the 28th? (Can anyone confirm this?)

Play it, and you'll see that isn't possible. In fact everyone play it. it'll be alot of fun.

Personally I had a blast when I played the E3 test. It was unfinished, unpolished, and I hadn't had that much fun since I played AC1.

I remember spending about 4 hours on a quest (which was PvP). It was a type of tournament, all of the things you fought were players. Anyhow. I didn't know what exactly the point was, I didn't know what I was doing. All I knew was that it was fun, and the end didn't matter, because the path there was a blast. And I think thats lacking in almost every MMORPG.

"The greatest trick the devil played on humanity in the 20th century was convincing them that he didnt exist." (Paraphrasing) C.S. Lewis

"The greatest trick the devil played on humanity in the 20th century was convincing them that he didn't exist." (Paraphrasing) C.S. Lewis

"If a mother can kill her own child, what is left before I kill you and you kill me?" -Mother Teresa when talking about abortion after accepting the Nobel Peace Prize in 1979

Originally posted by Finwe

All I knew was that it was fun, and the end didn't matter, because the path there was a blast. And I think thats lacking in almost every MMORPG.

Thats exactly whats wrong with new MMORPGs and players. They try to get through the game so fast to be the top player but really (at least from i know from playing pen and paper DND) is that if the path to getting to the top is fun enough then what does it really matter what level you are? I remember one session where we could have leveld up very early on but it was so much fun we didnt bother to ::::35::

Ill be playing the WPE, I never had a chance to play the E3 preview so im looking forward to this, sounds like a pretty fun game.

Edit: Sorry for the off topic

• Narco28Narco28 Member Posts: 300

WOW vs MOTHRA!!!!1111
    BATTLE FOR JAPAN!!!!111!!

Destroy Yourself , See Who Gives A FUC|{

::::08::

• aLeX666aLeX666 Member Posts: 153

No grind, no camping, no item dependant power, real teamplay, PvP, play when you want to and still enjoy it, no monthly fee, pay for content, no server downs, streaming technology, fresh new gameplay system...

Nothing is gonna keep me away from playing GW. It's the game I've been waiting for since Old school UO 98. Wasted my time in EQ and AC until 2002... been waiting for WoW ever since but they turned me down with their EQ clone. I don't wanna talk about EQ2...

"I am trying to see things from your perspective but I just can't get my head that far up my @$$."

"I am trying to see things from your perspective but I just can't get my head that far up my @$$."

• ghoul31ghoul31 Member Posts: 1,955

Originally posted by Orcc

Why do you people keep saying Guild Wars isnt a true MMORPG. Can someone please tell me what the definition of MMORPG is, because the lsat time i check it was Massively Multiplayer Online Role Playing Game. So lets run down Guildwars check list...
    Massive - Yes, it incorporates a large number of players onto a number of servers (i dont know how many)

Instanced areas with 10 man groups isn't Massive. 10 on 10 arena duels isn't massive. So no it isn't a MMORPG.

And no, giant chat rooms don't count.

In Shadowbane, I have been in battles with 150 people on each side. THAT is massive

• akibaruakibaru Member Posts: 44

To ppl who say: boohooo guildwars is also a mmorpg i want to say this:

GW is a morpg not a mmorpg because there is no massplay.
    Sure there are many players but all are separated on different servers so gw is more like diablo2 systemwise.
    10-20 ppl max at once isnt massive, dungeon siege supports up to 64players, that doenst make it a mmorpg.

Originally posted by ghoul31

Instanced areas with 10 man groups isn't Massive. 10 on 10 arena duels isn't massive. So no it isn't a MMORPG.

In Shadowbane, I have been in battles with 150 people on each side. THAT is massive

I can't figure out why most people whine at instances. What do you exactly want? To farm 1 spot with your group of 8 (ie : EQ), wait till repop, kill again, wait till repop, kill again, etc!?!?!?!

A group of 8, let's say camping in Sebilis in EQ vs a group of 8 doing an instanced quest in GW. Which one would you rather do? In both case, it's your little group of 8... what are the differences? The only difference I can see is that the EQ group has to deal with the other groups to : find a farm spot and avoid there trains. It doesn't matter if you're 120 in the zone, it all comes down to your little group of 8. I'd rather complete an instanced quest in GW than farm a spot in dungeon X... I'm pretty sure most would agree with that. Plus, what's the purpose of killing the same mob over and over? Do you feel like accomplishing anything? Looking at the little yellow exp bar go up? Give me a break. In GW, it's dead.

Other advantages of Instances?
    -No PKers : let's say you're playing SB and you are camping a few monsters. You've just come out of a tough fight and sit to rest, then BANG you get PKed out of nowhere.
    -No farming : alreay explained
    -No "camp calling.
    -No looters who just run by while you're still trying to handle a big fight.

As for the 150 vs 150 example, it's oversimplified. First, numbers are never fair. Second, Timezones allow different sleepy attacks. Third, zerging has nothing to do with teamplay.

And the Big chat Lobby analogy most people bring out is retarded. What do you do in the big Cities of the most popular MMORPGs? You chat and trade... and that is exactly what you can do in GW sherlock!

In GW you can do whatever you want. You feel like PvPing? Head to the arena or tournaments! You feel like Questing? Well then, enjoy completing dynamic quests! You don't have much time to play? Doesn't matter, this game doesn't reward time spent but player skills!

With their streaming technology, I'm pretty sure we'll see MANY in-game events. Just read the 20th Fansite Friday about Halloween 03. No monthly fee... no downtime...

The downsides of instancing are grossely outbalanced by the good reasons to do so. Even if it's not like OTHER MMORPGs, it is still a BETTER GAME !

• EButterflyEButterfly Member Posts: 6

Originally posted by aLeX666

I can't figure out why most people whine at instances. What do you exactly want? To farm 1 spot with your group of 8 (ie : EQ), wait till repop, kill again, wait till repop, kill again, etc!?!?!?!

A group of 8, let's say camping in Sebilis in EQ vs a group of 8 doing an instanced quest in GW. Which one would you rather do? In both case, it's your little group of 8... what are the differences? The only difference I can see is that the EQ group has to deal with the other groups to : find a farm spot and avoid there trains. It doesn't matter if you're 120 in the zone, it all comes down to your little group of 8. I'd rather complete an instanced quest in GW than farm a spot in dungeon X... I'm pretty sure most would agree with that. Plus, what's the purpose of killing the same mob over and over? Do you feel like accomplishing anything? Looking at the little yellow exp bar go up? Give me a break. In GW, it's dead.

Other advantages of Instances?
    -No PKers : let's say you're playing SB and you are camping a few monsters. You've just come out of a tough fight and sit to rest, then BANG you get PKed out of nowhere.
    -No farming : alreay explained
    -No "camp calling.
    -No looters who just run by while you're still trying to handle a big fight.

As for the 150 vs 150 example, it's oversimplified. First, numbers are never fair. Second, Timezones allow different sleepy attacks. Third, zerging has nothing to do with teamplay.

And the Big chat Lobby analogy most people bring out is retarded. What do you do in the big Cities of the most popular MMORPGs? You chat and trade... and that is exactly what you can do in GW sherlock!

In GW you can do whatever you want. You feel like PvPing? Head to the arena or tournaments! You feel like Questing? Well then, enjoy completing dynamic quests! You don't have much time to play? Doesn't matter, this game doesn't reward time spent but player skills!

With their streaming technology, I'm pretty sure we'll see MANY in-game events. Just read the 20th Fansite Friday about Halloween 03. No monthly fee... no downtime...

The downsides of instancing are grossely outbalanced by the good reasons to do so. Even if it's not like OTHER MMORPGs, it is still a BETTER GAME !

Ditto. 

I have never understood the bashing of a game by people who never even played it!  GW is an awesome game with huge amounts of potential.  It will allow for the type of depth a "traditional" MMORPG's will never have.  No downtime, no patching, no pking etc etc.  What more do you want?? This whole thing about " oh well I've been in a game where we had 300 hundred people playing at one time" yippie for you.  What is the fun in that.  Teams that large don't work together.  There is nothing wrong with instances.  It allows you to do the same content without the problems that occur in other games. 

If any of you bother to read the website they have even stated this IS NOT supposed to be an MMORPG.  Here is a quote from the FAQ on guildwars website.

Rather than labeling Guild Wars an MMORPG, we prefer to call it a CORPG (Competitive Online Role-Playing Game). Guild Wars was designed from the ground up to create the best possible competitive role-playing experience. Success in Guild Wars is always the result of player skill, not time spent playing or the size of one's guild. As characters progress, they acquire a diverse set of skills and items, enabling them to use new strategies in combat. Players can do battle in open arenas or compete in guild-on-guild warfare or the international tournament. But engaging in combat is always the player's choice; there is no player-killing in cooperative areas of the world.

So there it is folks.  Play the game and then judge it.  Everyone is going to have differnces of opinion.  If the game is good don't knock it cause it's not like everything else.  Here is a new way to play, and I for one am going to enjoy it.

• ghoul31ghoul31 Member Posts: 1,955

Rather than labeling Guild Wars an MMORPG, we prefer to call it a CORPG (Competitive Online Role-Playing Game).

Yes the company itself admits its not a MMORPG. So quit saying it is.

What a MMORPG brings is randomness. I like running around not knowing who I will find. I like having to keep on my toes for PKS. It keeps leveling from becoming too boring. Sure the enemy may outnumber you, but if you are more skilled you can still win. I like  the politics of alliances forming and disbanding. I like going to a place where a rare mob is about to spawn, and not knowing who, if anyone will be there to fight me for it. Thats what  a persistant world brings that Guild Wars doesn't.

Guild wars may be a great game, but it is different than a MMORPG. And thats why many people won't like it.

Quake is a good PVP game too. But it certainly isnt a MMORPG. And it isn't something I enjoy playing.

• GoobGoob Member Posts: 398

There have been many posts that I have read about people whining that they want a game to come out thats 'Different".  Something that brings new concepts into the genre.  These are the same people who say WoW is not going to be anything special because it isn't anything new. 

So now have Guild Wars, which is full of new concepts and gameplay.  And we have the people saying that this game isn't even in the genre and they wan't it to be like the standard 'MMORPG' to actually classify it as one.  What happened to new ideas?

Even if it is a 'MORPG' why can't we compare it to the other games? 

"Wel, thoz uthr gamez fallo the norml mpromg stile!  this is a totaly difrent game and shudnt even be on this sight!"

Wrong.

• ValaraukValarauk Member Posts: 303

What a MMORPG brings is randomness. I like running around not knowing who I will find. I like having to keep on my toes for PKS. It keeps leveling from becoming too boring. Sure the enemy may outnumber you, but if you are more skilled you can still win. I like the politics of alliances forming and disbanding. I like going to a place where a rare mob is about to spawn, and not knowing who, if anyone will be there to fight me for it. Thats what a persistant world brings that Guild Wars doesn't.

Exactly

*Recovering Evercrack Addict*
    -Currently waiting for EQII&WoW -

WARNING: Spelling and grammatical errors intentionally left in document to test for Anal Retentive Trolls.

"The key to wasting time is distraction. Without distractions it's too obvious to your brain that you're not doing anything with it, and you start to feel uncomfortable." - Paul Graham http://paulgraham.com/hs.html

• FinweFinwe Member CommonPosts: 3,106

Well...There really is no such thing as MMORPG's anymore. Because the RP in MMORPG's are pretty non-existant.

Thus so EQ isn't a MMORPG, AO isn't a MMORPG, DAoC isn't a MMORPG. And the list goes on.

Is GuildWars a MMOG? Yes...Why isn't it a MMORPG? Because it'll probably have 0 RP'ing. Is any other game really a MMORPG. No.

"The greatest trick the devil played on humanity in the 20th century was convincing them that he didnt exist." (Paraphrasing) C.S. Lewis

"The greatest trick the devil played on humanity in the 20th century was convincing them that he didn't exist." (Paraphrasing) C.S. Lewis

"If a mother can kill her own child, what is left before I kill you and you kill me?" -Mother Teresa when talking about abortion after accepting the Nobel Peace Prize in 1979

Originally posted by Valarauk

What a MMORPG brings is randomness. I like running around not knowing who I will find. I like having to keep on my toes for PKS. It keeps leveling from becoming too boring. Sure the enemy may outnumber you, but if you are more skilled you can still win. I like the politics of alliances forming and disbanding. I like going to a place where a rare mob is about to spawn, and not knowing who, if anyone will be there to fight me for it. Thats what a persistant world brings that Guild Wars doesn't.

Exactly

*Recovering Evercrack Addict*
    -Currently waiting for EQII&WoW -

Exactly what? What Randomness are you talking about? Except for open PvP games, which are rare (good ones are even rarer), where PKers can run around, there is none. Your examples are linked to ShadowBane, which isn't (sorry to mention, I hate that fact too) a bad game. Randomness of a rare mob? Never seen any rare mob spawn anywhere else than their usual spawn spot in EQ, L2, AC or WoW beta. Alliances forming and disbanding? Again, that's bound to PvP games and it doesn't have much impact.

What about the randomness factor in GW? Since your examples are strickly related to PvP, let's talk PvP. What about the zillion builds variation in GW allowing teams to use waaaaaaaayy different strategies every time they play in a tournament? How will a team react and adapt to one's strategy in the middle of action? That is randomness too. As for GW's guild system... it's not fully implanted as far as I know so no one can tell yet. I'm pretty sure we'll have some surprises.

• jwfcpjwfcp Member Posts: 7

@CIM_LW talking about the differences in the two games lets me find out more about both of them. maybe a feature i thought was the stupidest thing ever is actually really good from someone elses perspective. like trade skills or wow's exp bonus to people that spend less than 8 hours playing a day (read penaly to those that play more).

@ferilmaster sorry i suppse i did. but then again it only really takes me one sentance to say that wow will be the best traditional mmorpg ever.

@ghoul31 10 is massive enough for me. the game is all about alliances forming and breaking, you can get that from any game.  it may be very exciting fighting someone for, you know, the capability to actually play the game. losing in a situation like that would make victory very very sweet indeed. but thats a damn nightmare to me.

@axel666 thx, you have saved me alot of typing

the gw client is at www.guildwars.com its going on this friday till sunday. be sure to check out the swedish chef language.

so is anyone a fan of wow above gw? better customer support, using bittorent for patching so we dont need server days, auctions, trade skills, etc...

• HebrewBombHebrewBomb Member UncommonPosts: 520

Compact 1337 platoon class combat strategy is the name of this game - That's why I think GW devs are refering this game to Starcraft rather than Diablo.

Starcraft was a showcase game how versatile a combat strategy can become (i.e. Zerg rush, back-door drop ship tactics, base-convoy, etc)

Originally posted by HebrewBomb

Compact 1337 platoon class combat strategy is the name of this game - That's why I think GW devs are refering this game to Starcraft rather than Diablo.
    Starcraft was a showcase game how versatile a combat strategy can become (i.e. Zerg rush, back-door drop ship tactics, base-convoy, etc)

Anyone else can't figure out what this guy is talking about? image

• JohnarkJohnark Member Posts: 901

Okay this is a very bad argument, but hey that's my choice and no one is changing it.

But from the screenshots I've seen, Guild Wars' graphics look so much better than Worlds of Warcraft.

One of the major reasons why I'm going for either Guild Wars and/or Everquest 2 over WoW.

WoW looks very cartoony.  heck can you blame them?  That's the style that's always been used in their Warcraft games, so it would kinda ruin the tradition to making unrealistic looking characters for a MMORPG based on the series.

Guild Wars and Everquest 2... where to begin.  The characters look amazing.  Very human-like.  Heck and I thought Star Wars Galaxies had amazing graphics, EQ2 and GW blew me away!!!

Okay so the landscapes in WoW are nice.  But geez, the characters are blockier than EQ2 and GW.  The weapons are blocky too.  Ever seen the dwarves holding a large hammer in their hands?  They are awful.  It's like they litterally took the graphics from units in Warcraft 3 and dumped them into WoW.  Why?  Did Blizzard want to design a game that would even work on a Pentium 3?

If that's the case, well they lost me.  I have an AMD 2600+ with a Geforce FX 5900... I want next generation graphics, I coudln't care less if I'm not playing with people that own Pentium III's.

___________ ___ __ _ _ _
    Stealth - Ambush - Hemorrhage - Sinister Strike x2 - Cold Blood - Eviscerate - Vanish - Preparation - Cold Blood - Ambush - ... you're dead! :P