Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

can i be a giant battle station?

i dont wanna be a little tiny jet. i rather be a slow moving with tons of different types of guns surrounding the ship. 

is this possible?

chibiflix.deviantart.com

Comments

• FarttrollFarttroll Member Posts: 8

You unfortunately cannot fly what they call "Capitol ships". They will be in the game but be completely NPC controlled with players in small ships flying arround protecting/attacking it.

• dalevi1dalevi1 Member Posts: 829
    Originally posted by riceface2008

i dont wanna be a little tiny jet. i rather be a slow moving with tons of different types of guns surrounding the ship. 

is this possible?

No, but you can be a firetruck! Rooooooowwwrrr. Roooooooowwwrrr....

Played (more than a month): SWG, Second Life, Tabula Rasa, Lineage 2, Everquest 2, EvE, MxO, Ryzom.

Tried: WoW, Shadowbane, Anarchy Online, Everquest, WWII Online, Planetside

Beta: Lotro, Tabula Rasa, WAR.

• riceface2008riceface2008 Member Posts: 3

i gotta say  this sucks..   so its starfox type gameplay the entire game.........   i like ships that dont look aerodynamic and bulky like in eve....

i mean in space ur not limited to jet looking ships.

chibiflix.deviantart.com

• FarttrollFarttroll Member Posts: 8

Yeah, but thats just at release. It's really anyones' guess if they will add it later.

On the note of flying something non-areodynamic, they have haulers and double haulers. They're just about as areodynamic as a brick. Or Rossie O'Donnel.

You get the idea.

• KillerEwokKillerEwok Member UncommonPosts: 118

This is by far the greatest thread on this website.... evar

• -aLpHa--aLpHa- Member UncommonPosts: 852

i gotta say  this sucks..   so its starfox type gameplay the entire game.........   i like ships that dont look aerodynamic and bulky like in eve....

Aerodynamic in space? You are joking, right?

• outfctrloutfctrl Member UncommonPosts: 3,619

ok, you want to be a huge starship?  I want to be a flux. 

• jakfoxjakfox Member Posts: 50

Don't knock star fox.

• PyralisPyralis Member Posts: 25
    No, but you can be a firetruck! Rooooooowwwrrr. Roooooooowwwrrr....

That is the funniest shit I've read on the internet in a long, long while.

• Daedalus732Daedalus732 Member Posts: 589

is this possible?

First and foremost, you haven't seen all the fighter designs. Secondly, if you're ship is bulky, you're going to get hit... a lot. Think about it. Aerodynamics aside, if you're flying around in a box, don't whine when someone flying in a sleek, fast ship completely destroys you.

Secondly, what game lets you be a battle station while everyone else is a fighter? Sorry, but you don't get to be a god while everyone else flies around you. How could that possibly be enjoyable for anyone? 

Capital ships will come into the game at a later date. Until then, go pretend like your hot shit somewhere else and read up on the game before asking stupid questions.

• slapstik89slapstik89 Member Posts: 19

so, are you a fan of starwars and believe all the sound effects they produce...in the middle of SPACE!!?!?!?! Fortunately for our wannabe space station, aerodynamics plays no role in controlling a ship in space...a square block could fly just as well as a sleek, aerodynamically designed craft. However, unfortunately for our destroyer loving friend, newtons law of inertia is not our friend...good luck trying to manouvre 100 000 tonnes of metal.

• outfctrloutfctrl Member UncommonPosts: 3,619
    Originally posted by slapstik89

so, are you a fan of starwars and believe all the sound effects they produce...in the middle of SPACE!!?!?!?! Fortunately for our wannabe space station, aerodynamics plays no role in controlling a ship in space...a square block could fly just as well as a sleek, aerodynamically designed craft. However, unfortunately for our destroyer loving friend, newtons law of inertia is not our friend...good luck trying to manouvre 100 000 tonnes of metal.

SO TRUE

I remember when I first started playing JGC and did some mining.  Loaded my ship to the max, then headed to the station at full speed.  WRONG

That damn ship would not stop, no matter how much power I gave it in the opposite direction.  Took me 1/2 hour or more to just get into position to dock. 

• NalestomNalestom Member Posts: 47

Yes, you can be a large battle station, fully equipped with all the latest destructive technology, camping the Jumpgate for enemy fighters and blowing them away with your awesome laser beams.

No, you can't, what were you thinking?

I wish I started out an MMORPG as a level 80 tank with the best gear in the game, upgraded buffs, and the ability to run 500% faster than anyone else in the game. But alas, it shall not come true...

Think before you post.

• dwarflordkingdwarflordking Member Posts: 265
    Originally posted by Nalestom

Yes, you can be a large battle station, fully equipped with all the latest destructive technology, camping the Jumpgate for enemy fighters and blowing them away with your awesome laser beams.
    I wish I started out an MMORPG as a level 80 tank with the best gear in the game, upgraded buffs, and the ability to run 500% faster than anyone else in the game. But alas, it shall not come true...
    Think before you post.

looky here u frakin genius (yeah i love battlestar galactica its why im interested in this game)

Im not saying u start off as a dam battlestar, just the possibility of it being there, this would be an awesome feature and will definately show who the dangerous high level players are.

u start off as a flimsy viper, and work ur way up to a gigantic battlestar, the more surface area it has the more guns u can put on it and even command a small fleet of vipers.

it has hp off the wazoo, and u have to manually micro all ur guns like starcraft units.  this would be awesome.  it would take an army of vipers to take out one of these things

if the entire life span of the game is just a viper, then that sucks.

P.S. those gigantic ships in EVE are breathtaking . the size and scope of it all.. to bad the game looks boring.. but those are kinda what i had in mind.  or the battlestar galactica and pegasus

Originally posted by ricefarmer

Think before you post.

looky here u frakin genius (yeah i love battlestar galactica its why im interested in this game)

Im not saying u start off as a dam battlestar, just the possibility of it being there, this would be an awesome feature and will definately show who the dangerous high level players are.

u start off as a flimsy viper, and work ur way up to a gigantic battlestar, the more surface area it has the more guns u can put on it and even command a small fleet of vipers.

it has hp off the wazoo, and u have to manually micro all ur guns like starcraft units.  this would be awesome.  it would take an army of vipers to take out one of these things

P.S. those gigantic ships in EVE are breathtaking . the size and scope of it all.. to bad the game looks boring.. but those are kinda what i had in mind.  or the battlestar galactica and pegasus

If that's the case, then no, you can't be a battle station. Battle stations don't move.

Nor can you be a Capitol ship, they will be completely NPC-controlled.

This isn't a game where you can pilot a humongously powerful ship and blow people apart. In fact, if you don't know what you're doing, you could get easily destroyed by a small fleet of fighters.

Oh, and by the way...thanks for calling me a genius. But try not to compliment people if you want to insult them.

• dwarflordkingdwarflordking Member Posts: 265

Think before you post.

If that's the case, then no, you can't be a battle station. Battle stations don't move.

This isn't a game where you can pilot a humongously powerful ship and blow people apart. In fact, if you don't know what you're doing, you could get easily destroyed by a small fleet of fighters.

Oh, and by the way...thanks for calling me a genius. But try not to compliment people if you want to insult them.

usually ppl who can't sense sarcasm are diagnosed with mental retardation

Think before you post.

usually ppl who can't sense sarcasm are diagnosed with mental retardation

I'm sorry, you didn't suggest that you were using sarcasm.

Oh, and I'm not the one who's typing without a care in the world for spelling and grammar, so I wouldn't be too retarded.

• NikopolNikopol Member UncommonPosts: 626

First: I'm confused. Are you the OP? Is that why you've dropped into the thread and taken offense out of the blue? Sorry, I'm having a hard time making sense of who snapped at who for what reason.

I'm really taken aback by how fast every discussion deteriorates into an argument, and then plain namecalling. It's like bad reality TV on steroids. Just take it easy, mates. Gamers used to be a happy bunch and discussions in gaming sites used to be mellow, what happened in the last 10 years?

As for the topic: OK, I know the JGE developers said no on players piloting capital ships, but it does not mean it's a preposterous idea. Neither does it mean it will not happen in JGE, ever. Probably we won't see pilotable capital ships in launch... But you know, this is just the sort of stuff that gets implemented well after launch anyway.

Here's a quote from Hermann Peterscheck talking about it in September:

"Capital ships. We have one "docked" in one of the starting areas. Basically at some point in the near future it won't be docked anymore. Then it won't be unarmed anymore. Then it won't be invulnerable anymore, if you know where I'm going. People always ask if they can fly it. Our response thus far has been no, but not because we don't think it's F**king cool to do so, but simply because we don't know how to retify skill aim combat with auto-locking turrets (which I'm assuming capital ships need). If they are AI it's no big deal, but PvP makes a nightmare scenario. We've played with the idea of multi-pilot ships but it introduces "interesting" problems with latency so we'll have to see. In any case it might be a high on the list post launch feature as it is really really badass to see those suckers!"

And here's the link to that: community.codemasters.com/forum/showpost.php

• KombatJesusKombatJesus Member Posts: 236

If not a giant space station, will you settle for a runabout?

http://mentaltruancy.guildportal.com - Friendly Vanguard:Saga of Heroes Qalia based Guild.

• WallieManWallieMan Member Posts: 9

hi all,

i will settle for anything. Hope it will come out soon. Finally a new game with an environment in space. IMO there are too many fantasy games and too less space(simulation/arcade) games. Played EVE before but lost interest due to lack of PvE content.

if anyone else here also tried to follow the storyline he/she knows what i mean. There's no main line in it. It's just talk in the dark, you know...

Greets to ya all and best wishes

• Nerf09Nerf09 Member CommonPosts: 2,953

If only the Gank could be taken out of PvP, and it didn't take you months to grind for your gear, then you should be able to own the death star.

It is too bad all games use everquest as a template:

-Grind for months and years for your gear

-Because it took you months and years to grind for your gear, then  you should never  lose your gear, it's invulnerable, or here's some Carebear rules to balance that out, or here's some insurance to cover 90% of the cost, although who in their right mind would run an insurance company like that is beyond me.

• Agricola1Agricola1 Member UncommonPosts: 4,977
    Originally posted by Nerf09

If only the Gank could be taken out of PvP, and it didn't take you months to grind for your gear, then you should be able to own the death star.
    It is too bad all games use everquest as a template:

-Grind for months and years for your gear
    -Because it took you months and years to grind for your gear, then  you should never  lose your gear, it's invulnerable, or here's some Carebear rules to balance that out, or here's some insurance to cover 90% of the cost, although who in their right mind would run an insurance company like that is beyond me.

Brad McQuaid?

Sorry couldn't resist ;)

"Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience"

CS Lewis

• KordeshKordesh Member Posts: 1,715

They said it's a possability in the future, but not at launch. Personally, I agree with their reasons because, as they said, it would be a logistical nightmware to balance a proper capital ship in a PvP situation in Jumpgate. I am however very glad they're considering it because being entirely limited to a fighter class would be disappointing. They did mention however that mid-sized ships of the corvette class are a much bigger possability and more likely to be seen before we get our hands anywhere near a capitol. 

But no, you cannot be the death star. (But if you can I'm naming my pilot "ThatsNoMoon"

Bans a perma, but so are sigs in necro posts.

EAT ME MMORPG.com!

• skyexileskyexile Member CommonPosts: 692

us.jumpgateevolution.com/galacticdatabase/spacecraft

It looks like the heavy fighter is gonna be the biggest you're gonna get.

SKYeXile
    TRF - GM - GW2, PS2, WAR, AION, Rift, WoW, WOT....etc...
    Future Crew - High Council. Planetside 1 & 2.

• impulsebooksimpulsebooks Member Posts: 561

Personally I love the idea of working my way up through ship classes until I can own a cap ship, but as others mentioned it would cause all kinds of trouble with piloting, god mode, multiple player driven turrets with latency etc etc.

BUT, what if guilds could rank up like in Warhammer and earn rewards for it? What if an AI driven cap ship was one of the rewards that you could earn. YOu could maybe deploy it on raids into enemy systems, give it order to patrol an area, or hold still and defend itself while smaller fighter craft dock for resupply etc--kind of like a mobile station.

Of course other guilds would send their cap ships after yours, and a huge battle could result between the two while hordes of fighters try to defend and attack each other :)

To me that's as good or even better than piloting my own cap ship... though I would love to do both.

Mark E. Cooper
    AKA Tohrment
    Proud member of Damned Souls since 2007.
    http://www.damnedsouls.eu